Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Thing You Downloaded

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun May 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Can someone answer some BitTorrent questions for me? I'm trying to sort the technobabble out. Are 'seeds' the people who have downloaded something and are now uploading it to other people, and 'peers' the people who are currently downloading it, or have I got it completely wrong? :?

So, once you've downloaded something, people upload it from you? So it's kind of 'polite' to stay connected for a while? :? Confused.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Hey, Ben - hadn't noticed you'd reached 5,000 posts - a belated congratulations!

:D That's ok. Thanks very much. :)
welshben23

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun May 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Paddy wrote:Why don't you watch it online?

Good question, but my personal circumstances are probably different to yours. I don't get much chance to watch TV at home, I watch all the shows I mention here at work on my laptop when time permits. I can't hook up to streaming sites at work so obviously I need to download them and stick them on my laptop first. :)
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun May 04, 2008 7:59 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Hey, Ben - hadn't noticed you'd reached 5,000 posts - a belated congratulations!

Yeah, congrats on 5k Ben!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun May 04, 2008 8:03 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Can someone answer some BitTorrent questions for me? I'm trying to sort the technobabble out. Are 'seeds' the people who have downloaded something and are now uploading it to other people, and 'peers' the people who are currently downloading it, or have I got it completely wrong? :?

So, once you've downloaded something, people upload it from you? So it's kind of 'polite' to stay connected for a while? :? Confused.

Yeah, that's exactly right. When you go into the comments for Torrents on Pirate Bay, for example, people are usually begging for the Torrent to be seeded, as it vastly increases your download speed if there's a good seed in place.

It's classic 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' philosophy. :)

My problem with the massive Sopranos torrent, apart from the obvious one of its size, is that no one's seeding it so I'm getting speeds of between 10-50 kb/s. No wonder it's taking weeks! :shock:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun May 04, 2008 8:15 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Yeah, that's exactly right. When you go into the comments for Torrents on Pirate Bay, for example, people are usually begging for the Torrent to be seeded, as it vastly increases your download speed if there's a good seed in place.

My problem with the massive Sopranos torrent, apart from the obvious one of its size, is that no one's seeding it so I'm getting speeds of between 10-50 kb/s. No wonder it's taking weeks! :shock:

Cool, ta. So if I'm downloading something, is the speed of it affected by the amount of stuff other people are uploading from me?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Karin » Sun May 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Great, I had the exact same questions :) I just started downloading my first few torrrents. After reading about all this stuff that you all download, I decided I really have to try that, because there are so many good shows that are not even on TV here, and maybe never will be...
I had no idea how it works, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now :wink:
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun May 04, 2008 9:23 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Yeah, that's exactly right. When you go into the comments for Torrents on Pirate Bay, for example, people are usually begging for the Torrent to be seeded, as it vastly increases your download speed if there's a good seed in place.

Cool, ta. So if I'm downloading something, is the speed of it affected by the amount of stuff other people are uploading from me?

Yeah, which is why most people delete their seeding files! It won't make that much difference though, so I try and leave stuff seeding for at least a couple of days after downloading. It's only polite. :)
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun May 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Yeah, which is why most people delete their seeding files! It won't make that much difference though, so I try and leave stuff seeding for at least a couple of days after downloading. It's only polite. :)

So if I pause my seeding files whilst I'm downloading stuff, then start them again when I've finished, I'll get my downloads quicker but still be doing the 'right thing'?
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun May 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Yeah, which is why most people delete their seeding files! It won't make that much difference though, so I try and leave stuff seeding for at least a couple of days after downloading. It's only polite. :)

So if I pause my seeding files whilst I'm downloading stuff, then start them again when I've finished, I'll get my downloads quicker but still be doing the 'right thing'?

Hehe yeah, you could look at it like that!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby welshben23 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
welshben23 wrote:

Yeah, congrats on 5k Ben!

Thanks Mr BS. :)
welshben23

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon May 05, 2008 6:04 pm

Nnnrgh, my 'Lost' d/l has speeded up a bit, but there's still at least five hours to go. :( As soon as it's finished, I'm going to start downloading the next five episodes, so that I don't have to wait for them. :D
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon May 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Nnnrgh, my 'Lost' d/l has speeded up a bit, but there's still at least five hours to go. :( As soon as it's finished, I'm going to start downloading the next five episodes, so that I don't have to wait for them. :D

Do you get a bit of lag on your PC's general performance when d/l'ing something? I do - I generally suspend any torrents until I've finished.

I'm worried my huge Sopranos d/l won't be down for next Saturday - I need some top quality TV to get me through my next set of nights! I had to pace myself with S3 of the US Office and leave about 7 eps to watch tonight...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon May 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Do you get a bit of lag on your PC's general performance when d/l'ing something? I do - I generally suspend any torrents until I've finished.

This PC's always had a lag, for some reason. I've tried all sorts of things - changing the AV software, allocating different amounts of memory for different tasks, uninstalling stuff, reinstalling stuff! I really don't know what it is. It's a good spec - 2GB RAM, Intel Core Duo, etc., etc. I'm blaming Vista! :?

But yes, when I'm downloading stuff, the lag is definitely worse.
Dorset Girl

Postby Stratman » Tue May 06, 2008 8:35 am

Which program do you guy use for d/ling? My PC works fine with 512mbs of ram.
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu May 08, 2008 8:57 am

Just downloaded S4 of The Office up to the writers' strike. 8 more eps to watch this weekend - woohoo!

Just bringing down Auf Pet series 1 - it's more than 20 years since I saw this so thought I'd better get myself reacquainted!

My Sopranos D/L is on hiatus at the mo as it definitely won't finish before this weekend and I need some top TV to watch!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon May 12, 2008 2:31 pm

Dum-di-dum-di-dum-di-dum....

*Drums fingers on the desk impatiently, waiting for the final three episodes of 'Lost' to finish downloading*
Dorset Girl

Postby Paddy » Mon May 12, 2008 7:01 pm

The Indiana Jone theme tune. I know, I'm obbsessed.
"There are a number of things in this muffin I don't care for. Away wrinkly thing!"
Paddy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon May 12, 2008 8:30 pm

Auf Pet series 2. Now I can resume the huge Sopranos torrent which is 80% complete, but still has an ETA of 8 days! :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue May 13, 2008 8:49 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Auf Pet series 2. Now I can resume the huge Sopranos torrent which is 80% complete, but still has an ETA of 8 days! :lol:

Just noticed this thread. You will *love* The Sopranos BS, at least I hope you will.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Agides » Tue May 13, 2008 5:11 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Auf Pet series 2. Now I can resume the huge Sopranos torrent which is 80% complete, but still has an ETA of 8 days! :lol:

Just noticed this thread. You will *love* The Sopranos BS, at least I hope you will.

Exactly what I said! :)
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Paddy » Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 pm

Warwick Road-Duffy
"There are a number of things in this muffin I don't care for. Away wrinkly thing!"
Paddy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun May 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Wezzo wrote:
Stratman wrote:I'd rather buy it, it would probably get here sooner too. :D

That's true, the thought of a >7 gig torrent makes my eyes water..

Hehe, the Sopranos torrent was *slightly* larger than I anticipated - a whopping 38.7 Gig!!! :shock:

I started it yesterday morning and so far it's done 6% :lol: Ah well, at least I'll have every single Sopranos episode to look forward to by Christmas! :lol:

Finally got this down, almost a month after posting the above! Should be worth it though, I'm so glad I have them all now. Should get around to watching them on my next set of nights next week...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Sun May 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Wezzo wrote:

Hehe, the Sopranos torrent was *slightly* larger than I anticipated - a whopping 38.7 Gig!!! :shock:

I started it yesterday morning and so far it's done 6% :lol: Ah well, at least I'll have every single Sopranos episode to look forward to by Christmas! :lol:

Finally got this down, almost a month after posting the above! Should be worth it though, I'm so glad I have them all now. Should get around to watching them on my next set of nights next week...

Wahey! Enjoy. A lot.
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun May 18, 2008 7:38 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Wezzo wrote:

Excellent! I watched 77 episodes in the space of 3 weeks last year - it's that good. Don't be disheartened if it doesn't grab you from the start - it takes four episodes or so to get the characters and tone down. You're in for a treat though... I'm jealous. :)
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion