Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Yap Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The Yap Thread!

Postby Agides » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:36 pm

In a nutshell, this thread is for general chit-chat that doesn't really fall under any other heading (title was chosen as a homage to Martin Crane!).

If this doesn't work, we'll let it quietly drift to the bottom of the page and say no more about it!

So, my first post on this shall be to say congrats to Cat on 6000 posts! Image
I've enjoyed reading (and agreeing with the vast majority of) them. :D
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
User avatar
Agides
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: Naughty Step

Postby Agides » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:49 pm

Something else I wanted to ask everyone who has just started Uni (ordinarily, I would have chucked this in the 'Dear Diary' thread and made it go off at a tangent) - how are you enjoying it and is it everything you thought it would be?
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
User avatar
Agides
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: Naughty Step

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks all.

Over 6000 posts in less than 9 months. I have a DISEASE! (but it's a good disease!) :)
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Agides » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:08 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Thanks all.

Over 6000 posts in less than 9 months. I have a DISEASE! (but it's a good disease!) :)


Isn't that supposed to be eavesdropping?? :D
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
User avatar
Agides
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: Naughty Step

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:08 pm

Good idea for a thread! Let me hijack it immediately for my own purposes...


I've just put a list of 'free to a good home' books on the 'last book you read' thread. Apologies for posting it here too, but I don't think many people read the other thread. Hope you don't count this as 'advertising' Stu, they are free after all. :)


... now, back to the yap! I'd also like to know how everyone's finding Uni?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:17 pm

Agides wrote:Something else I wanted to ask everyone who has just started Uni (ordinarily, I would have chucked this in the 'Dear Diary' thread and made it go off at a tangent) - how are you enjoying it and is it everything you thought it would be?


Uni is a mixed bag so far. Good parts and bad parts. I quite like living alone, and having free roam of Manchester and some independence. I've met some nice people doing the same course as me too. And I've had lots of free time to basically just do what I want. Downside, miss certain people, find certain things daunting and the course is a bit harder than I expected.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Might as well post this about the best and worst places to live in the UK as decided by those eejits on that Property Show, Location, Location, Location. Seems to be the usual supsects.

Having regularly visited St Albans, i do wonder what makes it a short-listed contender for the best place? I guess that it is ideal if you own a mortgage free property there - then you can sell it for a ridiculously overpriced amount and then move somewhere without 24-hour traffic jams :)
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Might as well post this about the best and worst places to live in the UK as decided by those eejits on that Property Show, Location, Location, Location. Seems to be the usual supsects.

Having regularly visited St Albans, i do wonder what makes it a short-listed contender for the best place? I guess that it is ideal if you own a mortgage free property there - then you can sell it for a ridiculously overpriced amount and then move somewhere without 24-hour traffic jams :)


Apparently they pull the government stats for crime, healthcare, exam results etc. and compile this list based on that. I think it's quite entertaining. Wherever gets slated as the worst place to live has a vociferous defence mounted by the elected officials! They had a Labour councellor on 5Live this lunchtime and the only good thing he could say about Middlesborough was that it hosted Premiership football games! :lol:

Some people get in a right tiz about these lists - exactly the intention of Location, Location, Location's producers I'm sure.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:53 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:They had a Labour councellor on 5Live this lunchtime and the only good thing he could say about Middlesborough was that it hosted Premiership football games! :lol:


:D as somebody with family living near the Middlesbrough area, i can say it has some very bad places - major shitholes - but, to be fair, i should probably add that it's surrounded by some beautiful countryside, coastline and generally doesn't seem any worse than other areas of the country that i've lived in.

Beer Necessity wrote:Some people get in a right tiz about these lists - exactly the intention of Location, Location, Location's producers I'm sure.


I know. I suppose it'll get more viewers tuning in to sit and watch with indignity. Going off on a tangent, i do like watching Grand Designs sometimes - a much more interesting show.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:21 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Going off on a tangent, i do like watching Grand Designs sometimes - a much more interesting show.


I'm not surprised - you're a designer! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Nervosa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:36 pm

Agides wrote:Something else I wanted to ask everyone who has just started Uni (ordinarily, I would have chucked this in the 'Dear Diary' thread and made it go off at a tangent) - how are you enjoying it and is it everything you thought it would be?


Well up at 06.50 for a 07.20 bus isn't great, considering the bus takes well over an hour in the morning traffic, and when it leaves me into the centre of Belfast I have a 2 mile walk to my Uni.

Not too fond of the prices of having lunch in a capital city either. For a small black coffee to go it's £1.70!

I'm now into week four and have yet to speak a single word to anyone new! I'm only in three days a week, and only for a one hour lecture on one of those days, so meeting new people is proving to be pretty darn hard. As I don't know anyone yet, and I sometime have 2/3 hours to kill between classes, I find myself walking to the park to eat my lunch, or getting a bus into the town centre to have a brouse around the shops.

Then at the end of my day, it's another 2 mile walk back to the bus station.

As for my actual course, Film Studies & Modern History joint honours, I'm really enjoying the Film, but hating the history. I think next year I may drop history and do film as my single honours degree.

The workload has been non-existant so far. I've been assigned two 400 word 'essays' since I've been there, with a full week to do them in. Although, due to the postal strike, I have yet to receive any of my textbooks from Amazon, so I'm sure when they arrive I'll be doing a good bit of reading.

So far it's been a bit of a non-event for me. I've found it pretty lonely so far. It's not as if I don't speak to anyone, I do bump into mates from time to time. But the bus, the walking, the classes, the lunches etc,, I don't really get speaking to anyone.

3 years of this?! Get me to the Fire Service ASAP!!! :lol:
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
User avatar
Nervosa
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:33 am

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:00 pm

HOT DAMN!

I got a shitload of work done today!

::::does happy dance::::: :headbang:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:31 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Agides wrote:Something else I wanted to ask everyone who has just started Uni (ordinarily, I would have chucked this in the 'Dear Diary' thread and made it go off at a tangent) - how are you enjoying it and is it everything you thought it would be?


Well up at 06.50 for a 07.20 bus isn't great, considering the bus takes well over an hour in the morning traffic, and when it leaves me into the centre of Belfast I have a 2 mile walk to my Uni.

Not too fond of the prices of having lunch in a capital city either. For a small black coffee to go it's £1.70!

I'm now into week four and have yet to speak a single word to anyone new! I'm only in three days a week, and only for a one hour lecture on one of those days, so meeting new people is proving to be pretty darn hard. As I don't know anyone yet, and I sometime have 2/3 hours to kill between classes, I find myself walking to the park to eat my lunch, or getting a bus into the town centre to have a brouse around the shops.

Then at the end of my day, it's another 2 mile walk back to the bus station.

As for my actual course, Film Studies & Modern History joint honours, I'm really enjoying the Film, but hating the history. I think next year I may drop history and do film as my single honours degree.

The workload has been non-existant so far. I've been assigned two 400 word 'essays' since I've been there, with a full week to do them in. Although, due to the postal strike, I have yet to receive any of my textbooks from Amazon, so I'm sure when they arrive I'll be doing a good bit of reading.

So far it's been a bit of a non-event for me. I've found it pretty lonely so far. It's not as if I don't speak to anyone, I do bump into mates from time to time. But the bus, the walking, the classes, the lunches etc,, I don't really get speaking to anyone.

3 years of this?! Get me to the Fire Service ASAP!!! :lol:


Just get into the student bar and chat to the people who work in there. They'll keep you right - and you'll meet plenty of other people that way. Of course, if you don't really want to be there, it'll be difficult i suppose.

Have you watched any more films for the course yet?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:32 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:HOT DAMN!

I got a shitload of work done today!

::::does happy dance::::: :headbang:


I got hardly anything done today. yay, er, d'oh! :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Having worked so hard, I'm now spending the last few minutes of my day at work rocking out to David Bowie!

ZIGGY PLAYED GUI-TARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:20 pm

''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Agides » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:22 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Agides wrote:Something else I wanted to ask everyone who has just started Uni (ordinarily, I would have chucked this in the 'Dear Diary' thread and made it go off at a tangent) - how are you enjoying it and is it everything you thought it would be?


Uni is a mixed bag so far. Good parts and bad parts. I quite like living alone, and having free roam of Manchester and some independence. I've met some nice people doing the same course as me too. And I've had lots of free time to basically just do what I want. Downside, miss certain people, find certain things daunting and the course is a bit harder than I expected.


You've always got your friends at FO - that's what The Yap Thread's for!!
Glad you've met some nice folk, though. :)

Ah yes, independence. I loved the independence at leaving home until I had to pay my first utility bill and buy my own food shopping! Then it stopped being quite so appealing!! :lol:
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
User avatar
Agides
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: Naughty Step

Postby Agides » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:23 pm



......and have too much free time on their hands!!!
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
User avatar
Agides
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: Naughty Step

Postby Agides » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:25 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Nervosa wrote:
Agides wrote:Something else I wanted to ask everyone who has just started Uni (ordinarily, I would have chucked this in the 'Dear Diary' thread and made it go off at a tangent) - how are you enjoying it and is it everything you thought it would be?


Well up at 06.50 for a 07.20 bus isn't great, considering the bus takes well over an hour in the morning traffic, and when it leaves me into the centre of Belfast I have a 2 mile walk to my Uni.

Not too fond of the prices of having lunch in a capital city either. For a small black coffee to go it's £1.70!

I'm now into week four and have yet to speak a single word to anyone new! I'm only in three days a week, and only for a one hour lecture on one of those days, so meeting new people is proving to be pretty darn hard. As I don't know anyone yet, and I sometime have 2/3 hours to kill between classes, I find myself walking to the park to eat my lunch, or getting a bus into the town centre to have a brouse around the shops.

Then at the end of my day, it's another 2 mile walk back to the bus station.

As for my actual course, Film Studies & Modern History joint honours, I'm really enjoying the Film, but hating the history. I think next year I may drop history and do film as my single honours degree.

The workload has been non-existant so far. I've been assigned two 400 word 'essays' since I've been there, with a full week to do them in. Although, due to the postal strike, I have yet to receive any of my textbooks from Amazon, so I'm sure when they arrive I'll be doing a good bit of reading.

So far it's been a bit of a non-event for me. I've found it pretty lonely so far. It's not as if I don't speak to anyone, I do bump into mates from time to time. But the bus, the walking, the classes, the lunches etc,, I don't really get speaking to anyone.

3 years of this?! Get me to the Fire Service ASAP!!! :lol:



Just get into the student bar and chat to the people who work in there. They'll keep you right - and you'll meet plenty of other people that way. Of course, if you don't really want to be there, it'll be difficult i suppose.

Have you watched any more films for the course yet?


That's exactly what I want to know!!
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
User avatar
Agides
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: Naughty Step

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:40 pm



I don't know whether to yap or rant about this one! :wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:59 pm

We have awesome secretaries where I work!

They feed us!

Today is Boss's Day and they put out this whole great spread of munchie stuff for us all day long!

Bad for the diet but it's yummy!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:19 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:We have awesome secretaries where I work!

They feed us!

Today is Boss's Day and they put out this whole great spread of munchie stuff for us all day long!

Bad for the diet but it's yummy!


We have yummy secretaries where I work! :wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:22 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:We have yummy secretaries where I work! :wink:


Was it one of the secretaries that you embarassed yourself in front of a few weeks back :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:We have awesome secretaries where I work!

They feed us!

Today is Boss's Day and they put out this whole great spread of munchie stuff for us all day long!

Bad for the diet but it's yummy!


We have yummy secretaries where I work! :wink:


:lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:58 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:We have yummy secretaries where I work! :wink:


Was it one of the secretaries that you embarassed yourself in front of a few weeks back :lol:


Ha! You remember that! Yes, I still can't look her in the eyes, but to be honest my eyes never usually make it up that far anyhow! :lol:

She's sat about 20 feet away from me now opposite someone equally fit. Some 'fresh meat' is arriving tomorrow on helpdesk too - yum! :D
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2017. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.