Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Rant Thread!!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby welshben23 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:17 pm

Oooooh! :D I'm scared! :P :lol:
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:43 pm

Never mind, Ben, at least you won that 6 Nations match - that's the main thing, right :wink:

It's nice to have been rubbished, ridiculed and still make the final.

Seriously though, you've always got Joe Calzaghe - he's quality. Better than Gavin Henson any day :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:59 pm

ARRRGGGGHHHHH! Another damn interception! Why oh why does he do these things?

Much as I love Brett Favre, sometimes he just makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall for hours and hours!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby welshben23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:ARRRGGGGHHHHH! Another damn interception! Why oh why does he do these things?

Much as I love Brett Favre, sometimes he just makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall for hours and hours!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:


:) Calm down! The Packers won didnt they? :D
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:52 pm

welshben23 wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:ARRRGGGGHHHHH! Another damn interception! Why oh why does he do these things?

Much as I love Brett Favre, sometimes he just makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall for hours and hours!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:


:) Calm down! The Packers won didnt they? :D


Yes, but it was too close for comfort!

Beats the hell out of last weeks game though and now they have a week off to get themselves back in the groove!

Today's rant..........ummmm..........don't really have one yet. Except that I couldn't access this place for the first 2 hours I was at work this morning!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby welshben23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:57 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
welshben23 wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:ARRRGGGGHHHHH! Another damn interception! Why oh why does he do these things?

Much as I love Brett Favre, sometimes he just makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall for hours and hours!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:


:) Calm down! The Packers won didnt they? :D


Yes, but it was too close for comfort!

Beats the hell out of last weeks game though and now they have a week off to get themselves back in the groove!


Last week was just a little blip :D Do you think they can reach the NFC Championship game or even the Superbowl?
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:06 pm

welshben23 wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
welshben23 wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:ARRRGGGGHHHHH! Another damn interception! Why oh why does he do these things?

Much as I love Brett Favre, sometimes he just makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall for hours and hours!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:


:) Calm down! The Packers won didnt they? :D


Yes, but it was too close for comfort!

Beats the hell out of last weeks game though and now they have a week off to get themselves back in the groove!


Last week was just a little blip :D Do you think they can reach the NFC Championship game or even the Superbowl?


No.

That would mean having to get past the Cowboys in playoff game and I just don't think that's going to happen.

Oh, here's my morning rant........I HATE THE FUCKING CHEATING PATRIOTS AND HOPE THEY GET CRUSHED BY SOMEBODY SOON!

When I cheer for the Cowboys in a game there is something SERIOUSLY amiss!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Hey they're America's Team - isn't it the law to cheer for them :wink:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Following on from the rugby thread - the longest post in history. Please feel free to rant at me. :)

I'll probably regret getting involved here... usual disclaimers apply, I'm talking generally and not about individuals.



IMHO (not just about rugby, but in general):

A lot of Welsh people have a big 'chip on their shoulder' about the English. This particularly shows itself with regard to rugby, which is a very important thing in Wales! Pretty much the whole population - young and old, male and female are quite passionate about it, and I don't think that's anywhere near the case in England.

English people, for the most part, either don't realise the Welsh 'hate' them, don't care, or are mystified by it! They are so busy disliking the French, that it doesn't cross their minds.

In my opinion, one of the reasons a lot of the Welsh are so 'anti-English' is because TV channels, the media and the world in general often group Wales with England. Non-Brits often view Great Britain as 'England', rather than England, Scotland and Wales. This leads to such gems as "Wales? That's the capital of London, isn't it?" as an American friend said to me once, or the German student's saying - "if all else fails, try Wales!"

Even the BBC are guilty of ignoring Wales to a large extent. Okay, there is the channel S4C, which is a collaboration between the BBC and C4, is that right? But that's largely for Welsh speakers (approx. 600,000 out of 3,000,000 - and not all of those are anywhere near fluent). To go back to the rugby, if there are two games playing simultaneously - England in one, Wales in the other - the BBC almost inevitably show the English game. The Welsh game is either made available interactively, or sometimes is relegated to S4C, with Welsh-language commentary only. I imagine the BBC do this to gain the most viewers - after all, the population of England is much larger. However, when it happens continuously, I can see why it would be grating, and could look as if the BBC see Welsh rugby as inferior (no comments on that please, that's for the other thread! :D).

What Ben said on the other thread about it getting 'rubbed in' if England do well is perfectly valid, IMO. I don't think it's intentional, it's just that the media report it endlessly and as the vast majority of newspapers sold in Wales are produced in England, and the majority of TV channels broadcast there are English too, then it inevitably gets reported ad nauseum in Wales too.

Finally, the rugby - in fact any sport. This is very 'simplistic', and I know there are other factors to consider... but here's my idea. Population of England - approx. 61 million. Population of Wales - approx. 3 million. As a random figure, let's say 1 in 100,000 people is good enough to play for their country. That gives Wales a choice of 30 players, whereas England can choose from 610.

If 10% of those players are truly outstanding, then Wales has 3 outstanding players (a fifth of a team), whereas England has 61 (more than four teams). Surely this must have an impact when playing internationally?



Oh, and if I can just add a PS - people like Anne Robinson don't help, do they? Her now infamous remarks about the Welsh on Room 101 are blatantly racist, I don't know how they could be seen otherwise - whether she said them in jest or not it not an issue, if she had said the same things about e.g. Pakistan, she would have been legally liable.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Postby welshben23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:32 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Following on from the rugby thread - the longest post in history. Please feel free to rant at me. :)

I'll probably regret getting involved here... usual disclaimers apply, I'm talking generally and not about individuals.



IMHO (not just about rugby, but in general):

A lot of Welsh people have a big 'chip on their shoulder' about the English. This particularly shows itself with regard to rugby, which is a very important thing in Wales! Pretty much the whole population - young and old, male and female are quite passionate about it, and I don't think that's anywhere near the case in England.

English people, for the most part, either don't realise the Welsh 'hate' them, don't care, or are mystified by it! They are so busy disliking the French, that it doesn't cross their minds.

In my opinion, one of the reasons a lot of the Welsh are so 'anti-English' is because TV channels, the media and the world in general often group Wales with England. Non-Brits often view Great Britain as 'England', rather than England, Scotland and Wales. This leads to such gems as "Wales? That's the capital of London, isn't it?" as an American friend said to me once, or the German student's saying - "if all else fails, try Wales!"

Even the BBC are guilty of ignoring Wales to a large extent. Okay, there is the channel S4C, which is a collaboration between the BBC and C4, is that right? But that's largely for Welsh speakers (approx. 600,000 out of 3,000,000 - and not all of those are anywhere near fluent). To go back to the rugby, if there are two games playing simultaneously - England in one, Wales in the other - the BBC almost inevitably show the English game. The Welsh game is either made available interactively, or sometimes is relegated to S4C, with Welsh-language commentary only. I imagine the BBC do this to gain the most viewers - after all, the population of England is much larger. However, when it happens continuously, I can see why it would be grating, and could look as if the BBC see Welsh rugby as inferior (no comments on that please, that's for the other thread! :D).

What Ben said on the other thread about it getting 'rubbed in' if England do well is perfectly valid, IMO. I don't think it's intentional, it's just that the media report it endlessly and as the vast majority of newspapers sold in Wales are produced in England, and the majority of TV channels broadcast there are English too, then it inevitably gets reported ad nauseum in Wales too.

Finally, the rugby - in fact any sport. This is very 'simplistic', and I know there are other factors to consider... but here's my idea. Population of England - approx. 61 million. Population of Wales - approx. 3 million. As a random figure, let's say 1 in 100,000 people is good enough to play for their country. That gives Wales a choice of 30 players, whereas England can choose from 610.

If 10% of those players are truly outstanding, then Wales has 3 outstanding players (a fifth of a team), whereas England has 61 (more than four teams). Surely this must have an impact when playing internationally?



Oh, and if I can just add a PS - people like Anne Robinson don't help, do they? Her now infamous remarks about the Welsh on Room 101 are blatantly racist, I don't know how they could be seen otherwise - whether she said them in jest or not it not an issue, if she had said the same things about e.g. Pakistan, she would have been legally liable.


Wonderfully put DG. That is a marvellous post, I agree with the whole lot.
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:33 pm

welshben23 wrote:Wonderfully put DG. That is a marvellous post, I agree with the whole lot.


Thank you Ben, but I wouldn't mind betting that you're the only person who responds to my post like that!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:36 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Hey they're America's Team - isn't it the law to cheer for them :wink:


It's the LAW to hate them unless you live in Texas! :D
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:36 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:What Ben said on the other thread about it getting 'rubbed in' if England do well is perfectly valid, IMO.


Nah. The media report spectacular Welsh, Scottish and Irish sporting triumphs just as much. Remember when England didn't qualify for USA '94 and we all became Irish that summer? :wink:

Scots, Welsh and Irish successes don't get reported too much because there aren't many of them. It's a sporting fact of life that if you hail from those countries you're going to resent your bigger, more successful neighbours. Personally, I'm happy to see all the home nations do well (I'll be rooting for the Scots to qualify from their very tough group, they've almost done it) but the fact that that goodwill isn't extended the other way means I'm able to laugh if they fall flat on their faces. Irish fans are the least resentful, I find.
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
welshben23 wrote:Wonderfully put DG. That is a marvellous post, I agree with the whole lot.


Thank you Ben, but I wouldn't mind betting that you're the only person who responds to my post like that!


I have to admit my ignorance in that prior to belonging to this forum, I was unaware that Wales was it's own country! I thought it was just a "region" of England! :oops:

I guess I have always been too busy drinking with the Irish and the Scottish to consider Wales! :wink:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby welshben23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:40 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:What Ben said on the other thread about it getting 'rubbed in' if England do well is perfectly valid, IMO.


Nah. The media report spectacular Welsh, Scottish and Irish sporting triumphs just as much.


Just one word from me. Bollocks.
Last edited by welshben23 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:40 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I have to admit my ignorance in that prior to belonging to this forum, I was unaware that Wales was it's own country! I thought it was just a "region" of England! :oops:


They WISH!!! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby welshben23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:41 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I have to admit my ignorance in that prior to belonging to this forum, I was unaware that Wales was it's own country! I thought it was just a "region" of England! :oops:


They WISH!!! :lol:


My point is now proven. :twisted:
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:43 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:What Ben said on the other thread about it getting 'rubbed in' if England do well is perfectly valid, IMO.


Nah. The media report spectacular Welsh, Scottish and Irish sporting triumphs just as much.


Just one word from me. Bollocks.


What Welsh triumphs do you feel have gone unreported, Ben? :wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby welshben23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
welshben23 wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:What Ben said on the other thread about it getting 'rubbed in' if England do well is perfectly valid, IMO.


Nah. The media report spectacular Welsh, Scottish and Irish sporting triumphs just as much.


Just one word from me. Bollocks.


What Welsh triumphs do you feel have gone unreported, Ben? :wink:


I wish I could name one. :oops:
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:45 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:What Ben said on the other thread about it getting 'rubbed in' if England do well is perfectly valid, IMO.


Nah. The media report spectacular Welsh, Scottish and Irish sporting triumphs just as much. Remember when England didn't qualify for USA '94 and we all became Irish that summer? :wink:

Scots, Welsh and Irish victories successes don't get reported too much because there aren't many of them. It's a sporting fact of life that if you hail from those countries you're going to resent your bigger, more successful neighbours. Personally, I'm happy to see all the home nations do well (I'll be rooting for the Scots to qualify from their very tough group, they've almost done it) but the fact that that goodwill isn't extended the other way means I'm able to laugh if they fall flat on their faces. Irish fans are the least resentful, I find.


Yes, there are more English triumphs, that can't be denied (perhaps for the reasons I outlined above), and as an English person myself I obviously want to see England win! Perhaps the reason the Welsh seem / are more bitter about it is because they suffer the most from 'Englishness'.

I don't know much about Northern Ireland, but in terms of Scotland (population just over 5 million) - they have 'devolved' much more than Wales. The Scottish Parliament has much more power than the National Assembly for Wales, and consequently in areas such as education, they have been able to 'break away' from England a lot more. There are more Scottish newspapers than Welsh ones for instance, and it is obvious that 'local' papers give preference to 'local' news.

Wales is still very much ruled from Westminster, and as the population are dwarfed by England, then IMHO they sometimes sink into oblivion - well, if not oblivion, somewhere very close!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:46 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I have to admit my ignorance in that prior to belonging to this forum, I was unaware that Wales was it's own country! I thought it was just a "region" of England! :oops:


They WISH!!! :lol:


My point is now proven. :twisted:


Come on Ben, you must find it a little funny that some of our friends across the pond see Wales as a region of England! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby welshben23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:What Ben said on the other thread about it getting 'rubbed in' if England do well is perfectly valid, IMO.


Nah. The media report spectacular Welsh, Scottish and Irish sporting triumphs just as much. Remember when England didn't qualify for USA '94 and we all became Irish that summer? :wink:

Scots, Welsh and Irish victories successes don't get reported too much because there aren't many of them. It's a sporting fact of life that if you hail from those countries you're going to resent your bigger, more successful neighbours. Personally, I'm happy to see all the home nations do well (I'll be rooting for the Scots to qualify from their very tough group, they've almost done it) but the fact that that goodwill isn't extended the other way means I'm able to laugh if they fall flat on their faces. Irish fans are the least resentful, I find.


Yes, there are more English triumphs, that can't be denied (perhaps for the reasons I outlined above), and as an English person myself I obviously want to see England win! Perhaps the reason the Welsh seem / are more bitter about it is because they suffer the most from 'Englishness'.

I don't know much about Northern Ireland, but in terms of Scotland (population just over 5 million) - they have 'devolved' much more than Wales. The Scottish Parliament has much more power than the National Assembly for Wales, and consequently in areas such as education, they have been able to 'break away' from England a lot more. There are more Scottish newspapers than Welsh ones for instance, and it is obvious that 'local' papers give preference to 'local' news.

Wales is still very much ruled from Westminster, and as the population are dwarfed by England, then IMHO they sometimes sink into oblivion - well, if not oblivion, somewhere very close!


Again, I agree with all of this.
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby welshben23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:47 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
welshben23 wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I have to admit my ignorance in that prior to belonging to this forum, I was unaware that Wales was it's own country! I thought it was just a "region" of England! :oops:


They WISH!!! :lol:


My point is now proven. :twisted:


Come on Ben, you must find it a little funny that some of our friends across the pond see Wales as a region of England! :lol:


Yes, but not for the obvious reasons :D
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:49 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:
welshben23 wrote:Wonderfully put DG. That is a marvellous post, I agree with the whole lot.


Thank you Ben, but I wouldn't mind betting that you're the only person who responds to my post like that!


I have to admit my ignorance in that prior to belonging to this forum, I was unaware that Wales was it's own country! I thought it was just a "region" of England! :oops:

I guess I have always been too busy drinking with the Irish and the Scottish to consider Wales! :wink:


Cat, thank you! You've helped me prove one of my points. :) I don't for one minute think it's 'your fault' that you didn't know that, it's just a common belief, and one that in my view understandably grates on the Welsh.

Before anyone else says it, Wales is technically a 'principality' rather than a country, which is unfortunately one reason why their powers are so limited at present. Very few English people actually realise that it's a principality - anyone seen the advert for that new Noel Edmonds show recently? He asks 'how many countries make up Great Britain?' I'd put money on them taking 'three' as the correct answer, whereas it's actually 'two and a principality'.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:51 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Come on Ben, you must find it a little funny that some of our friends across the pond see Wales as a region of England! :lol:


Yes, but not for the obvious reasons :D


BN, I realise you're probably mostly joking when you say that, but to be serious for a minute, can't you see why constant attitudes like that piss the Welsh off? Isn't it understandable that there is some resentment?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests

cron

© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2020. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.