Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Rant Thread!!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Rant Thread!!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:My genealogy-obsessed cousin (distant cousin - 6th or 7th, I think!!) is trying to talk me into going to the Tolpuddle Rally yet again (she does this every year, very persistently). As I've mentioned before, I am related to one of the Tolpuddle Martyrs, who formed the first Trade Union.

This is a gathering which is getting bigger each year, and is into the tens of thousands now. The main part of the weekend consists of a march, with Trade Unionists holding various placards criticising pretty much everything the government do. There's also a music festival with a bunch of musicians I've never heard of, but who are apparently famous. It costs a fortune to park, the festival tickets are probably a fortune too, and it just doesn't interest me.

I've told her outright that I'm not interested in the political element. I've also said that I'd like to meet the relatives, but wish I could do this at another time of year, when there aren't thousands of people swarming around. It just doesn't interest me to go along to this event.

She was the same a couple of months back, with the Titanic centenary events - she couldn't understand why we didn't want to take part in the news programmes about it. I love having both of these events in my family tree, and enjoy telling people about them, but have no desire whatsoever to take part in any of the stuff that goes with it.

Hmm, pushy relatives. I know a thing or two about those - you have my sympathies.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:My genealogy-obsessed cousin (distant cousin - 6th or 7th, I think!!) is trying to talk me into going to the Tolpuddle Rally yet again (she does this every year, very persistently). As I've mentioned before, I am related to one of the Tolpuddle Martyrs, who formed the first Trade Union.

This is a gathering which is getting bigger each year, and is into the tens of thousands now. The main part of the weekend consists of a march, with Trade Unionists holding various placards criticising pretty much everything the government do. There's also a music festival with a bunch of musicians I've never heard of, but who are apparently famous. It costs a fortune to park, the festival tickets are probably a fortune too, and it just doesn't interest me.

I've told her outright that I'm not interested in the political element. I've also said that I'd like to meet the relatives, but wish I could do this at another time of year, when there aren't thousands of people swarming around. It just doesn't interest me to go along to this event.

She was the same a couple of months back, with the Titanic centenary events - she couldn't understand why we didn't want to take part in the news programmes about it. I love having both of these events in my family tree, and enjoy telling people about them, but have no desire whatsoever to take part in any of the stuff that goes with it.

It's nice to have interesting historical family links, but it doensn't mean your life has to revolve around such things. I completely empathise with your point of view.

I have family who are massively into family tree shenanigans and take personal pride or embarrassment from anything they dig up. All i believe i share with such past family members is part of their genetic make up, so i take no praise, or blame, for any of their deeds.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:18 am

Aah! I wish the little person that operates the machinery in my mind would take a night off! :lol: I haven't slept all night for over a week now. Why do I worry about the silliest, little things. Rant over. :D
welshben23

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 am

welshben23 wrote:Aah! I wish the little person that operates the machinery in my mind would take a night off! :lol: I haven't slept all night for over a week now. Why do I worry about the silliest, little things. Rant over. :D

Yuk, I know that feeling, Ben! Anything in particular worrying you, or just general things?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 am

Dorset Girl wrote:
welshben23 wrote:Aah! I wish the little person that operates the machinery in my mind would take a night off! :lol: I haven't slept all night for over a week now. Why do I worry about the silliest, little things. Rant over. :D

Yuk, I know that feeling, Ben! Anything in particular worrying you, or just general things?

Just general things really. I have no idea why I'm like this. When I was younger I never used to worry about anyone or anything and could fall asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow and sleep for over 8 hours. It must be my age. :lol:
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:43 am

welshben23 wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

Just general things really. I have no idea why I'm like this. When I was younger I never used to worry about anyone or anything and could fall asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow and sleep for over 8 hours. It must be my age. :lol:

Yep, it's age! We all do it. If nowt else, lying awake worrying about others shows you're not a narcissist and/or sociopath. Every cloud.... :D

Keep an eye on it though.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby !Amz! » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

I know that feeling all too well! It's like the second your head hits the pillow all the worries you've had recently just come flooding back to you. Hope it passes for you soon and you manage to get some sleep.

Not really a rant as such, but I just hate how everything's changing at the moment. It's all changing for the good, but I kind of feel like I'm being left in student-hood. For example, I found out last week one of my best friends is having a baby, despite being told she couldn't have children. I can't describe how happy I am for her, it just depresses me a little that everyone's growing up, and I'm coming to the realisation that maybe I only went to uni just to defer entering the real world for a little longer. On one hand, part of me really misses all those nights before uni when we all went out and got drunk and I'm desperate to do it again, but I know when we go back home on Sunday we'll be sticking to chilled evenings in the pub, if that. Nothing wrong with that exactly, I could just do with one of those nights where you go out, get a bit drunk and end up thinking that everything is awesome and you couldn't be happier.

Eeh, nothing you can do I guess, we all have to get older at some point. This time next year I'll have to enter the real world whether I like it or not :lol:
!Amz!

Postby insaneasperger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Lack of sleep sucks! I often spend ages at night worrying about things too, that and not being able to sleep due to noise. How it sorts it out soon Ben but your nearly 30 so it could be the start of old age..... ;)
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:35 pm

insaneasperger wrote:Lack of sleep sucks! I often spend ages at night worrying about things too, that and not being able to sleep due to noise. How it sorts it out soon Ben but your nearly 30 so it could be the start of old age..... ;)

Hah, not so long ago, Ben was teasing all of us who were around the age of 30 at the time, saying we were old! ;)
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
insaneasperger wrote:Lack of sleep sucks! I often spend ages at night worrying about things too, that and not being able to sleep due to noise. How it sorts it out soon Ben but your nearly 30 so it could be the start of old age..... ;)

Hah, not so long ago, Ben was teasing all of us who were around the age of 30 at the time, saying we were old! ;)

I'm lucky still seven and a but years until I'm 30. But Leon and jez are 35, I don't halve enjoy winding them up when they talk about what they were doing in the early 90's.... :D

Soon be time for revenge on Ben DG! Be patient :wink:
insaneasperger

Postby welshben23 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:09 pm

:lol: :lol: I am going to fight until the very last second to stay in my Twenties! I can take the teasing, especially from our younger members. But remember some of you are WAY older than me and I'm nearly 30. :D
welshben23

Postby insaneasperger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Argh!!! Must resist temptation!
insaneasperger

Postby !Amz! » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:23 pm

People at work keep giving me shit because I'm only part time and it's really starting to piss me off. I have my reasons for not going full time, I still go home a lot and I need to save some of my holiday for Christmas, and if I was full time I'd use all of it up just going home for the next two weeks, and it's just easier for me to keep to the hours I'm doing as I'll need to change them soon anyway when I get my new uni timetable.

I'm just fed up with the constant implication that I'm some sort of layabout and I don't get a say in anything because I only work 3 days a week and I don't have the time and patience to tell every single person giving me jip my reasons for doing so. While I have just been laughing it off and so on, it's getting harder and harder to take it as a joke and find it funny. GRRR.
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Some twat parked two inches in front of me and blocked me in earlier - never mind that there was a clear 4ft in front of them. Selfish idiot. :x
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Some twat parked two inches in front of me and blocked me in earlier - never mind that there was a clear 4ft in front of them. Selfish idiot. :x

Ugh, I hate that. Like the twats who park so close alongside you that your driver side door is blocked by their passenger door and you can't get back into it again. I've had to climb in the passenger side and scooch over more than once :x
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby kat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:24 pm

once again my life has turned to shit, my auntie (mum's sister) died on Monday, what have I done to deserve this, more to the point what has my grandma done to deserve this, she has now (well not yet, the funeral isn't 'til next week) buried all 3 of her daughters, to make things worse, it's her birthday next week too, and people wonder why I drink...
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Sorry to read that, kat. :( Condolences to yourself, your gran - all friends and family.

There's no rhyme or reason why things happen.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:34 pm

thanks, as usual just trying to get on with life, going to be fun next week, down to Norfolk and back in a day for the funeral
kat

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Kat, that's awful, you've had far more than your share of heartache. :( Condolences.
Dorset Girl

Postby kat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:41 pm

thanks, I did hope that my problems would be over this year, seems not, oh well, not that long til 2013 *wishful thinking*
kat

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:00 pm

kat wrote:once again my life has turned to shit, my auntie (mum's sister) died on Monday, what have I done to deserve this, more to the point what has my grandma done to deserve this, she has now (well not yet, the funeral isn't 'til next week) buried all 3 of her daughters, to make things worse, it's her birthday next week too, and people wonder why I drink...

Sorry to hear this Kat. You certainly have had your fair share of crap in recent years.

Hope things look brighter for you in the future.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby kat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:02 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
kat wrote:once again my life has turned to shit, my auntie (mum's sister) died on Monday, what have I done to deserve this, more to the point what has my grandma done to deserve this, she has now (well not yet, the funeral isn't 'til next week) buried all 3 of her daughters, to make things worse, it's her birthday next week too, and people wonder why I drink...

Sorry to hear this Kat. You certainly have had your fair share of crap in recent years.

Hope things look brighter for you in the future.

thanks, I just try to think that things can't get much worse, I don't have that many relatives left *I make crass jokes rather than get depressed*
kat

Postby insaneasperger » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that Kat. :( my thoughts are with you
insaneasperger

Postby !Amz! » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 pm

So sorry to hear this news Kat. Thinking of you.
!Amz!

Postby Lil » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 am

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kat. Sending prayers and love in hopes things get better for you.
Lil

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion