You can dooooo iiiiiiiit

*cue Olympics coach*
Lil

Re: The Rant Thread!!

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Lil wrote:You can dooooo iiiiiiiit

*cue Olympics coach*

:lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Group work.

Just...no.

I'm fed up with having to rely on other people to get my degree. I don't care if that makes me sound selfish, but I know I'm not a team-player, never have, never will be. In the workplace I will get on with it as best I can, but when I'm paying to do this degree, I don't think it's fair that I have to work with people who don't want to do the work, or who aren't going to do it properly in a reasonable amount of time.
!Amz!

Postby Lil » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:04 pm

!Amz! wrote:Group work.

Just...no.

I'm fed up with having to rely on other people to get my degree. I don't care if that makes me sound selfish, but I know I'm not a team-player, never have, never will be. In the workplace I will get on with it as best I can, but when I'm paying to do this degree, I don't think it's fair that I have to work with people who don't want to do the work, or who aren't going to do it properly in a reasonable amount of time.

So very much this!!!!
Lil

Postby !Amz! » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:28 am

Lil wrote:
!Amz! wrote:Group work.

Just...no.

So very much this!!!!

Glad I'm not the only one!
!Amz!

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:41 pm

A friend of mine just posted something about Titanic coming out in 3D. One of her friends then made a comment about how it's nothing like A Night to Remember and how that was such a great movie about the Titanic. That comparison just makes me insane! "Titanic" was never touted as any kind of historically correct movie about the sinking of the ship. It's a love story and James Cameron has made that pretty clear over and over again. It's not a movie about the ship, it just happens to take place on the ship! You cannot compare those two films. They are not in the same category. It would be like comparing some sappy WWII era love story with Band of Brothers!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Agree 100% Cat! My mum's a Titanic fanatic, and hates the Cameron film as she says it's unrealistic. I've tried to explain over and over that it's not about the disaster, it's just the setting for a love story, but she won't listen.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 pm

I really enjoyed Titanic (the Cameron film). There I've said it. 8-)
welshben23

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:37 pm

:twisted: Perhaps if the movie hadn't been called Titanic people wouldn't think it was a film with special emphesis on the ship :lol:

Couple of usless stories in connection to the film.............

Some bloke lent the film some period props (tortoise shell mirror, ivory comb, stuff like that) and sent them over to where the film was being shot.
Problem was, when he tried to have his own stuff brought back into the country it was siezed by customs for being made of banned materials.
Don't know if he ever got them back.

The family of the officer who is shown shooting a passenger dead was not very happy with the inacurate portrayal of their ancestor.
The officer (originally from Liverpool) didn't shoot anybody and his family thought that showing him kill a passaenger was a disgrace to his memory, so they sued the film makers.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Perhaps if the movie hadn't been called Titanic people wouldn't think it was a film with special emphesis on the ship :lol:

Good point, well made!

The family of the officer who is shown shooting a passenger dead was not very happy with the inacurate portrayal of their ancestor.
The officer (originally from Liverpool) didn't shoot anybody and his family thought that showing him kill a passaenger was a disgrace to his memory, so they sued the film makers.

The reason mum doesn't like the film is because Molly Brown calls the people in the lifeboats cowards (or words to that effect) for not going back to save more people. Her Grandfather, one of the crew, told her that if they'd have done that, they'd have risked the lives of the people already in the boats, as they would have been swamped. I don't know whether that's right or not, but it's perfectly understandable that mum would rather think of him as a hero than a coward!
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:12 pm

I get that some people can't get past the name of the film and they think it should be realistic because of the name but those people just need to not watch it if it bugs them so much. I liked the movie but I don't need to see it in 3D.

What really irritates me is that people keep comparing the two movies. They are two movies that take place on Titanic. That's the only thing that is similar about them!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm

I could take that it was about a love story that just happened to be set on the Titanic. I just never cared for the film. Nothing to do with any perceived realism (or lack thereof). If people are going to be pedantic about it then i'm certain that A Night To Remember contains enough historical inaccuracies of its own.

I have a couple of friends who've seen it maybe a dozen times each. One a Titanic (the ship) fan, one not. So, lack of realism isn't a problem for the one into the real story.

Seeing it once was enough for me, though. :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:14 pm

I had to spend ages today re-pricing a lot of crime fiction that had been underpriced yesterday, which was infuriating. The lady had priced not only a lot of books on the shelf but also about seven other boxes of crime, so I waded through re-pricing five boxes and most of the books on the shelf.

I don't blame the lady who did it, as she's a pleasant person and I don't think she's been trained correctly on the pricing policy, so it's not her fault if she hasn't been given the correct information. I printed out a price guide and hung it up in the area, and also an additional note to reinforce my point, so hopefully people will take notice and the same thing won't happen again. If it does, I think I will go mad!
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:50 pm

:twisted: Going back to the subject of Titanic movies, it appears there was a propergander version done by the nazis in 1943.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_(1943_film)

There's documenty on this unhappy production advertised for Tuesday evening.

Could be worth a watch.
Forever Jung

Postby insaneasperger » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh so freaking stressed right now. Meh.
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:20 pm

insaneasperger wrote:Argh argh argh argh argh

:twisted: I thought your account had been hacked by Popeye for a minute there :shock:

Hope you are de-stressed soon :wink:
Forever Jung

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
insaneasperger wrote:Argh argh argh argh argh

:twisted: I thought your account had been hacked by Popeye for a minute there :shock:

Hope you are de-stressed soon :wink:

:lol:

Chill, IA! Deep breaths. And diazepam, that helps!
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm a bit calmer now but it wouldn't be me if I wasn't at least a little stressed!!

I'm annoyed that I really cant understand the business link site I'm meant to be using as an easy way to help me start my own business. not so easy if the website confuses me. One of the down sides of being an Aspy, it may look simple and be simple to everyone else, but that doesn't mean its not going to confuse the hell outta me!!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Ramona » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:00 am

3am. Drunkenly phoning my ex. I know I'm not the first person to do that but why, WHY, do I do this to myself? It's been 2 years! Two years!
Clearly it's about time I moved on.
God knows I've tried but it just isn't happening.
Argh!

Anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? If so, i would very much like some advice!
"So you've found me. Congratulations"
Ramona

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Ramona wrote:3am. Drunkenly phoning my ex. I know I'm not the first person to do that but why, WHY, do I do this to myself? It's been 2 years! Two years!
Clearly it's about time I moved on.
God knows I've tried but it just isn't happening.
Argh!

Anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? If so, i would very much like some advice!

:twisted: Perhaps you could use one of these :wink:
Forever Jung

Postby Ramona » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:14 pm

Haha. Yes! I need that in my life.
"So you've found me. Congratulations"
Ramona

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Thankfully I've never been tempted to give my ex any indication of how I feel about him - good or bad. I miss having a partner in my life, and my daughter could really do with her daddy around, but I don't have any strong feelings for him either way, I think that's good.
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Thankfully I've never been tempted to give my ex any indication of how I feel about him - good or bad. I miss having a partner in my life, and my daughter could really do with her daddy around, but I don't have any strong feelings for him either way, I think that's good.

It is good. You'll be alright. You're by far the better person. From my experience there'll come a point where your daughter will (metaphorically) say fuck him, and no longer be upset at the absence. It'll be up to him to realise what he's lost.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Had to admit defeat and book an engineer to come out and fix/replace the Sky box. Bloody thing's starting to regularly lock up at the slightest thing - on top of the monthly system wipe and reboot it needs to fix its buggered hard disk. Seriously shit piece of kit. I've never seen anything like it for shoddy tech. My computers get far more hammer without falling to bits like this.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Thankfully I've never been tempted to give my ex any indication of how I feel about him - good or bad. I miss having a partner in my life, and my daughter could really do with her daddy around, but I don't have any strong feelings for him either way, I think that's good.

It is good. You'll be alright. You're by far the better person. From my experience there'll come a point where your daughter will (metaphorically) say fuck him, and no longer be upset at the absence. It'll be up to him to realise what he's lost.

Thanks MC!
Dorset Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion