Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Book You Read

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Last Book You Read

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 pm

"Notes From a Small Island", by Bill Bryson.

Britain as seen through the eyes of an American - I loved this book. Lots of laugh-out-loud moments, and everyone should read it - particularly you guys in the US who think we're all a bit nutty over here - this book will confirm it. Makes me feel very patriotic. :D
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby kat » Fri May 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:"Notes From a Small Island", by Bill Bryson.

Britain as seen through the eyes of an American - I loved this book. Lots of laugh-out-loud moments, and everyone should read it - particularly you guys in the US who think we're all a bit nutty over here - this book will confirm it. Makes me feel very patriotic. :D

My favourite book ever, he did make a TV show about it, it was the thing that got me into his books, the last time I looked there was a very slow torrent of it on isohunt
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri May 18, 2012 8:17 pm

kat wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:"Notes From a Small Island", by Bill Bryson.

My favourite book ever, he did make a TV show about it, it was the thing that got me into his books, the last time I looked there was a very slow torrent of it on isohunt

Yes, Dad mentioned that it was on TV. I'm going to read his 'Notes from a Big Country' soon - it's waiting for me on my shelf. :)
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby kat » Fri May 18, 2012 8:22 pm

he is my favourite author, he's just so funny
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Bryson's great. Well worth reading his whole catalogue.

I've got a feeling i have the tv show saved to one of my disks. I'll see if i can dig it out.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri May 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Bryson's great. Well worth reading his whole catalogue.

I've got a feeling i have the tv show saved to one of my disks. I'll see if i can dig it out.

Yes, I'd definitely like to read more of his, but the amount of books I have waiting to be read is getting ridiculous! A quick scan of the bookcase next to me tells me that I have at least 40 that I haven't touched yet. :shock: I can't help myself, I just wander into charity shops and come out with bags full of books. Then I find it very, very hard to sell or give them away afterwards. They're so pretty.
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat May 19, 2012 6:07 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Bryson's great. Well worth reading his whole catalogue.

Yes, I'd definitely like to read more of his, but the amount of books I have waiting to be read is getting ridiculous! A quick scan of the bookcase next to me tells me that I have at least 40 that I haven't touched yet. :shock: I can't help myself, I just wander into charity shops and come out with bags full of books. Then I find it very, very hard to sell or give them away afterwards. They're so pretty.

:D I've also got a shelf full of books sitting there unread. If i add the huge bunch of ebooks and audio books sitting on my hard drives, I don't think there'd be enough time left in the universe to get round to reading them all.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat May 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Moon-Crane wrote: :D I've also got a shelf full of books sitting there unread. If i add the huge bunch of ebooks and audio books sitting on my hard drives, I don't think there'd be enough time left in the universe to get round to reading them all.

I don't have any ebooks or audio books, thankfully. A few of my friends and I have started an 'exchange' thingumy, where we swap books every now and again. It's working well so far, but there's just no way I can read the ones I've been given and the ones I've bought... too many words, not enough time!

I sometimes wonder why I read so much - what's the point of it? Escapism, I suppose.
Dorset Girl

Postby kat » Sat May 19, 2012 11:27 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote: :D I've also got a shelf full of books sitting there unread. If i add the huge bunch of ebooks and audio books sitting on my hard drives, I don't think there'd be enough time left in the universe to get round to reading them all.

I don't have any ebooks or audio books, thankfully. A few of my friends and I have started an 'exchange' thingumy, where we swap books every now and again. It's working well so far, but there's just no way I can read the ones I've been given and the ones I've bought... too many words, not enough time!

I sometimes wonder why I read so much - what's the point of it? Escapism, I suppose.

that is my excuse, but my life would be so much worse without books
kat

Postby woggle » Tue May 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Those in peril 3/5

As my first melee into fiction it wasn't bad , really slowed in the middle to the point i almost stopped but it picked up at the end and had a decent enough ending to keep me happy . Not the best from Wilbur Smith according to the reviews but id give another of his ago at somepoint i expect.

Just started The Host [ by Stephanie Meyer ] which so far is rocking my world!
woggle

Postby kat » Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 pm

woggle wrote:Those in peril 3/5

As my first melee into fiction it wasn't bad , really slowed in the middle to the point i almost stopped but it picked up at the end and had a decent enough ending to keep me happy . Not the best from Wilbur Smith according to the reviews but id give another of his ago at somepoint i expect.

Lynda loves it, have tried to read Twilight, her stuff just isn't my bag

Just finished re-reading all the Jack Reacher books again, can't wait til August for the new one to come out
kat

Postby woggle » Tue May 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Ive seen the first 3 twilight films which wasn't half bad [ actually the 2nd was pretty naff ] but i cant imagine trying to read them . I do have the last book which i got cheap from a charity shop which im debating wether to bother with or again go for the films instead .

Never thought id actually say i love a book but im going that way with The Host , theres a film in the pipe line to but on this case i may ignore it and stick with the core material which for me will be a complete first .

What are the Jack Reacher books about ? sounds funny but i dont think id ever read a book more then twice .. bit odd that isn't it.
woggle

Postby kat » Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 pm

woggle wrote:Ive seen the first 3 twilight films which wasn't half bad [ actually the 2nd was pretty naff ] but i cant imagine trying to read them . I do have the last book which i got cheap from a charity shop which im debating wether to bother with or again go for the films instead .

Never thought id actually say i love a book but im going that way with The Host , theres a film in the pipe line to but on this case i may ignore it and stick with the core material which for me will be a complete first .

What are the Jack Reacher books about ? sounds funny but i dont think id ever read a book more then twice .. bit odd that isn't it.

they are most definitley not funny, thrillers about an ex military policeman, really good edge of your seat stuff (only annoying thing is he's supposed to be 6'5 and he's being played by Tom Cruise in the movie)
kat

Postby woggle » Tue May 29, 2012 8:42 pm

lol...maybe Tom will be given stilts , hollywood do like to play about with book characters a lot thou don't they .

Edge of your seat stuff definatly sounds like something id be interested in ...anything military/cop based speaks to me so may look those books up once im done with the Host .
woggle

Postby kat » Tue May 29, 2012 8:45 pm

woggle wrote:lol...maybe Tom will be given stilts , hollywood do like to play about with book characters a lot thou don't they .

Edge of your seat stuff definatly sounds like something id be interested in ...anything military/cop based speaks to me so may look those books up once im done with the Host .

the first one is called Killing Floor, really reccomend them, my biggest problem is there are 16 (and counting) in the series, I have no space for them
kat

Postby woggle » Tue May 29, 2012 8:49 pm

kat wrote:
woggle wrote:lol...maybe Tom will be given stilts , hollywood do like to play about with book characters a lot thou don't they .

the first one is called Killing Floor, really reccomend them, my biggest problem is there are 16 (and counting) in the series, I have no space for them

I was just about to post about that ..lol theres like a bazillion of them , will see if my bro-in-law has any first as he's always reading [ while on the bog apparently as he thought to tell me tother day ..TMI in my book ! ] then at least when im done i can give em back .
woggle

Postby kat » Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm

nowt wrong with someone who is always reading (though agree on the overshare)
kat

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue May 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Ooh, 'melee', eh?! Good word, I'm going to use it lots!
I've heard good things about 'The Host', but haven't read it myself.
Dorset Girl

Postby woggle » Wed May 30, 2012 11:49 am

Dorset Girl wrote:

Ooh, 'melee', eh?! Good word, I'm going to use it lots!
I've heard good things about 'The Host', but haven't read it myself.

:D

Its really really good ...and easy to get into for someone whos not bothered with reading sci-fi fiction before ..id say definatly give it a go .
woggle

Postby woggle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:34 am

Finished The host ... fantastic is all i can say , can't see how the film will turn out but this was a can't put down read .

I have a whole list odf books i want to read now ..lol starting with warm bodies which again i want to read b4 the film comes out of to amazon i go! :D
woggle

Postby woggle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Before i go i go to sleep - S.J Watson 4.5/5

Brilliant thriller which had me hooked till the end :D
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Fifty Shades of Grey - 0/10.

What an absolute pile of shite. I got halfway through it before I wondered why I was wasting my life reading this badly written crap and gave up.
Dorset Girl

Postby barnaclelapse » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:53 pm

The Robert Mitchum bio I'm reading continues to be fiercely addictive. Not only is it a great account of a truly remarkable life, but it's also got a lot of really amazing stuff about the golden age of Hollywood.
barnaclelapse

Postby Lil » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:58 am

barnaclelapse wrote:The Robert Mitchum bio I'm reading continues to be fiercely addictive. Not only is it a great account of a truly remarkable life, but it's also got a lot of really amazing stuff about the golden age of Hollywood.

To this day, Mitchum scares the living hell out of me.
Lil

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:24 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I got halfway through it before I wondered why I was wasting my life reading this badly written crap and gave up.

:twisted: You been reading my blog? :shock:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion