Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Book You Read

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Last Book You Read

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Paul B wrote:
Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Has anyone read the RD book Last Human?
I remember hearing a long time ago that it was much more serious.
Therfore i've avoided it like the plague.

Yeah, like Doug Naylor's solo Dwarf episodes, it was much more sci-fi and less comedy orientated. The plot was decent, but it just wasn't Red Dwarf. Rob Grant's Backwards makes a much more satisfying conclusion to the novels. He was clearly the funnier half of the partnership.

I agree completely. Backwards is by far the better of the two.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:47 pm

The Piano - Jane Campion

I've not seen the film of this, I don't think that I'll watch it now that I've read the book - everything may look different from how I imagined it! A strange story, not sure what to make of it really.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 pm

The Highest Tide, by Jim Lynch

Heh, the wonders of Google. I finished this book last night. It was kind of average. I was sitting here trying to remember what the heck it was called, so that I could post on this thread, but I couldn't recall, and I'm far too lazy to go upstairs and find it. So I typed random words that I could remember from it into Google - I typed Judge, tide, marine, boy - lo and behold, it was third in the list that Google produced! The judge isn't even a main character, so that's pretty impressive.

The fact that I'm more interested in Google's abilities than actually talking about the book probably says something about it. It was all right, readable but not riveting. I learned some things, though. Such as the fact that barnacles are animals, but don't move for their whole life. They glue themselves to a rock and reproduce by pushing their enormous penis out through a hole and swaying it around until they find a mate. I've never read that particular fact in a novel before. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:30 pm

I finished "Life of Pi", and it's true that the ending really does completely knock you out of your chair. That has to be one of the best plot twists I've ever encountered.
barnaclelapse

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:51 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:I finished "Life of Pi", and it's true that the ending really does completely knock you out of your chair. That has to be one of the best plot twists I've ever encountered.

*Adds to list*
Dorset Girl

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:26 pm

:twisted: BTW, for the REd Dwarf fans...............

In Better Than Life, did anyone understand what the canister was that the crew had to find at the end of the book before taking Listers body to the dimention where time runs backwards?

It baffled me for years, until I thought of looking it up online.

In case you didn't know.............

Spoiler: show
Each canister contained the remains (well the white powder that was left) of a crew member of Red Dwarf.
They had to find the right one that contained Kochanskis remains and take it with them so that she could keep him company on backwards Earth.

So simple when you know the answer, but it had me seriously baffled for a long time :shock:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby barnaclelapse » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
barnaclelapse wrote:I finished "Life of Pi", and it's true that the ending really does completely knock you out of your chair. That has to be one of the best plot twists I've ever encountered.

*Adds to list*

You'll love it. Read it before the Ang Lee film version comes out.
barnaclelapse

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 pm

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - by Mark Haddon

I managed to read this whole novel on my bus journey today. It's superb, I'd definitely recommend it. It's written from the viewpoint of a 15 year old boy who has severe Aspergers. It's fascinating to get some insight into the way he thinks. Excellent stuff.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Brick Lane - by Monica Ali

An insight into the life of a Bengali girl who is sent to England for an arranged marriage. She moves into a high-rise flat in Tower Hamlets (a notoriously run-down area of London), and begins to live a life that is completely different to the one she knew before. Reviews that I've read praise this novel for being an accurate portrayal of such life - I don't know if that's true, but what I do know is that it reinforces the negative stereotypes of Muslims that exist in Britain. The repression and violence towards women, for starters.

It was interesting to read about events such as 9/11 from the viewpoint of a Muslim, and about day-to-day life in Tower Hamlets, but I wouldn't say it's a book I enjoyed, particularly. I felt pretty sorry for the main character throughout it.
Spoiler: show
Things ended up happily for her, but I wonder how many women don't get the same break that she did and carry on living in such a manner for the rest of their lives?

Were there riots on Brick Lane in 2001/2? I wasn't sure if this was just part of the story, or whether it really happened. If it was just a story, the author did a pretty amazing job of describing what would happen ten years later - the scenes she described were very reminiscent of those in London a few months ago.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:03 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

*Adds to list*

You'll love it. Read it before the Ang Lee film version comes out.

Just found out that this is actually one of the series of books that I'm trying to collect. 40,000 of each of 25 titles were printed and given out for free in the UK, on World Book night 2011. They were never sold new, so it's now only possible to find them in charity shops, at car boot sales, etc. I've managed to find six over the past month, and am hoping to find the rest soon. I know it's pointless, and I can just buy 'normal' copies of them, but it gives me something to do (bless) and it doesn't cost too much. :lol: Once I've got the whole set and read them, I intend to pass them on to someone else.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon.

Absolutely, without question, my new favourite book. Brilliant. May not make sense to anyone who has never lived in Britain, though - lots of little cultural references.
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 am

I've read the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime but no a spot of bother.

I've just finished the magicians nephew and now I'm starting the lion the witch and the wardrobe, by CS Lewis
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Maple » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:30 am

I am reading Full service by Scotty Bowers. Bowers was a Hollywood fixer who arranged sexual liasons for the stars. If you do not mind graphics, it is a good read. To me it rings true. In my younger years I was a sex addict, for want of a better term. Although later I became bored and turned my back on it.

I recommend it as a trashy read. Who would have thought Spencer Tracy sucked cock.
Maple

Postby tubalcain » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:10 pm

The Complete Guide To Repairing Home Appliances.

It struck me that my generation is the last to know how to change a plug..

451 moment. :shock:
tubalcain

Postby tubalcain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Art Deco House Styles from Trevor Yorke.
A reasonable 2011 reference guide with some choice pics.
tubalcain

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:52 pm

:twisted: Went into a charity shop for a rumage through their books and came out with a book on attrcities, and Albert Pierrepoints autobiography.

Always look on the bright side of life, eh? :shock:
Forever Jung

Postby tubalcain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Went into a charity shop for a rumage through their books and came out with a book on attrcities, and Albert Pierrepoints autobiography.

The name Pierrepoint also crops up as being associated with one John Dillinger. Another fascinating read from over the pond.
tubalcain

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:18 pm

tubalcain wrote:
Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Went into a charity shop for a rumage through their books and came out with a book on attrcities, and Albert Pierrepoints autobiography.

The name Pierrepoint also crops up as being associated with one John Dillinger. Another fascinating read from over the pond.

:twisted: Really?
What's the conection?
Forever Jung

Postby tubalcain » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:29 am

One Pierrepoint was involved in ending lives, the other was a killer who had his light duly extinguished.
Just the surname to connect the two accordingly.
tubalcain

Postby insaneasperger » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:49 pm

It's all changed- Nigel Botteril with a foreword by Alison Carter

I got it when I entered my business competition as Alison was a judge. Really good book! Given me a lot to do and look at to create a successful business.
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby barnaclelapse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Reading through that biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay and "A Confederacy of Dunces", but I'm thinking I might finally read the first "Hunger Games" book when I'm finished with either of the other two. I'd like to have at least some kind of foundation before seeing the movie.
barnaclelapse

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 pm

I've just worked out that I've read 29 full-length novels in two months. I'm definitely going through a reading 'phase'.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 pm

Barney - I have 'Life of Pi' ready to read, but I'm worried - does it have any cruelty to animals, or general animal distress in it? If so, I may avoid it. I can read about people in all sorts of situations, but when it's animals, it upsets me. Not sure what that says about me...
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:40 am

Dorset Girl wrote:Barney - I have 'Life of Pi' ready to read, but I'm worried - does it have any cruelty to animals, or general animal distress in it? If so, I may avoid it. I can read about people in all sorts of situations, but when it's animals, it upsets me. Not sure what that says about me...

A lot of people are that way D.G. I was thinking about it the other day when I was reading a file about a guy who killed his girlfriends dogs. I was thinking that while I find it a little troubling looking at things like autopsy and crime scene photos, they don't bother me nearly as much as animal cruelty photos. I couldn't even look at the pictures in the file.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu May 17, 2012 5:34 pm

I started "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter", but I've been busy lately. I hate that.
barnaclelapse

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion