Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Book You Read

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Last Book You Read

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Dammit, Agides, I went into the bookshop but couldn't remember the name of the book! I almost sent you a text to ask, actually, but I didn't know if you'd appreciate that. :lol: Never mind, though, I've written it down now, so next time maybe I'll have more chance of finding it. :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Agides » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 pm

No worries. :)

I also meant to post about the book before the last book I read: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. How is it possible that up to now, next to no-one had heard of this woman to whom every living person owes the most incredible debt?? This book contains quite a bit of science, but it is very much written with the layman in mind so it reads very easily.

A truly extraordinary story that led me to research some other references in the book (in particular the Tuskegee experiment, which I confess to never having heard of until now).
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Agides wrote:Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

Oh. My. God. What a thoroughly absorbing and beautifully constructed novel. Set in the late 70s/early 80s and written as a memoir of one of the three central characters, Kathy. The descriptions of her childhood at Hailsham School, with her fellow students (in particular, Ruth and Tommy) and her subsequent important role in society are so vivid, you could be right alongside her every step of the way.
Having seen the trailer for the forthcoming film, I cannot wait to see it as it looks as if it has stayed faithful to the book. Frankly, to do anything else would be utter sacrilege.
An absolutely exquisite and quite unforgettable piece of writing.

Somehow missed this post recently, but I agree, it's a very good book. Odd, but not in a bad way. Easy to read, deceptively simple, with some very moving moments. I should be seeing the film over the next few days.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Agides » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:

Oh. My. God. What a thoroughly absorbing and beautifully constructed novel. Set in the late 70s/early 80s and written as a memoir of one of the three central characters, Kathy. The descriptions of her childhood at Hailsham School, with her fellow students (in particular, Ruth and Tommy) and her subsequent important role in society are so vivid, you could be right alongside her every step of the way.
Having seen the trailer for the forthcoming film, I cannot wait to see it as it looks as if it has stayed faithful to the book. Frankly, to do anything else would be utter sacrilege.

Somehow missed this post recently, but I agree, it's a very good book. Odd, but not in a bad way. Easy to read, deceptively simple, with some very moving moments. I should be seeing the film over the next few days.

The film is just gorgeous. I came out of the cinema a red-eyed, mascara-run, snotty mess and covered in those annoying fragments of disintegrated tissue so it was THAT good!
The beautiful message of
Spoiler: show
time being of the essence/life being too short
positively shines through.

I have to say, this is now one of my favourite books. What is it with those Japanese authors (Murakami being another)?
Agides

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm

:twisted: Just finished re reding Hearts In Atlantis by Steven King.

Now it's to get back to Salem's Lot with my full attention.
I haven't read that book for a good ten years,m so i'm really looking forward to it :D
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Agides wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:

The film is just gorgeous. I came out of the cinema a red-eyed, mascara-run, snotty mess and covered in those annoying fragments of disintegrated tissue so it was THAT good!
The beautiful message of

I have to say, this is now one of my favourite books. What is it with those Japanese authors (Murakami being another)?

Glad to hear the film is good - I've read mixed things but I'm confident I'll like it. Is Andrew Garfield (my new obsession) good as Tommy?

And which Murakami books would you recommend? I have a few but the only one I've read is Norweigan Wood, which is one of the most brilliant books I've read, ever.
Cake for Brains

Postby kat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm

And to completley lower the tone, I have just finished Ant and Dec-Oooh What A Lovley Pair, not many big revalations but entertaining enough, despite reminding me of the horrors of a Guide talent(less) show when me and a freind "sang" We're On The Ball and I was unexpectedly accurate and powerful in kicking the ball at the end and having it bounce (quite beautifully I must say) off one of our leader's head.
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Agides » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 am

Cake for Brains wrote:
Agides wrote:The film is just gorgeous. I came out of the cinema a red-eyed, mascara-run, snotty mess and covered in those annoying fragments of disintegrated tissue so it was THAT good!
The beautiful message of

Glad to hear the film is good - I've read mixed things but I'm confident I'll like it. Is Andrew Garfield (my new obsession) good as Tommy?

And which Murakami books would you recommend? I have a few but the only one I've read is Norweigan Wood, which is one of the most brilliant books I've read, ever.

I think he was perfectly cast - he manages to depict
the sensitive, emotional, sentimental young man Tommy grows into, as opposed to the souless clone he's meant to be, effortlessly.
I couldn't think of a better actor for the role.

I'd never seen or heard of Andrew Garfield before until only recently. I read Boy A by Jonathan Trigell for my RL reading group, which is (although not the best written) a really great book and makes you question your moral stand on quite a controversial issue and he plays the title role in the film version. He was equally excellent in that.

With regards to Murakami, I'd recommend The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and probably Kafka On The Shore. I adore his writing style and his imagination - he is something of a genius for me. Norwegian Wood is another very beautiful piece of literature and would feature quite high in my top 10 reads. Apparently a film of NW is due out in the next couple of months, which should be interesting.
Agides

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:05 am

Agides wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:Glad to hear the film is good - I've read mixed things but I'm confident I'll like it. Is Andrew Garfield (my new obsession) good as Tommy?

I think he was perfectly cast - he manages to depict
the sensitive, emotional, sentimental young man Tommy grows into, as opposed to the souless clone he's meant to be, effortlessly.
I couldn't think of a better actor for the role.

I'd never seen or heard of Andrew Garfield before until only recently. I read Boy A by Jonathan Trigell for my RL reading group, which is (although not the best written) a really great book and makes you question your moral stand on quite a controversial issue and he plays the title role in the film version. He was equally excellent in that.

With regards to Murakami, I'd recommend The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and probably Kafka On The Shore. I adore his writing style and his imagination - he is something of a genius for me. Norwegian Wood is another very beautiful piece of literature and would feature quite high in my top 10 reads. Apparently a film of NW is due out in the next couple of months, which should be interesting.

Regarding Boy A, I've not read the book, but I have seen the TV/film, which I thought was excellent. Garfield is also excellent in both The Social Network and in Red Riding - a trilogy of Channel 4 dramas based on the David Peace novels detailing the 1970s/80s hunt for The Yorkshire Ripper.

Thanks for those Murakami recommendations... I own both The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore, so I'll have to get reading one of them.
Cake for Brains

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Watching World Book Night on BBC2. Sue Perkins has just brought up the Pride & Prejudice / Wuthering Heights comparison that I often mention when explaining why I hate Jane Austen. She reckons readers either like one or the other. Wuthering Heights fans prefer things to be more 'rugged'! :D Yes, I'd say that's true... extend that to most things in my life, actually - music, clothes, men.... :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Just finished re reding Hearts In Atlantis by Steven King.

I haven't read that book for a good ten years,m so i'm really looking forward to it :D

:twisted: All too soon i'm hurtling towards the end of Salem's Lot :(

I'll have to stard considering what's next on the menu.
Forever Jung

Postby insaneasperger » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Just finished re reding Hearts In Atlantis by Steven King.

I am reading Salem's Lot at the moment for the first time, really good so far!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:47 pm

insaneasperger wrote:
Forever Jung wrote:

I am reading Salem's Lot at the moment for the first time, really good so far!

:twisted: It's a great book 8-)
Just don't go near the made for TV movie with DAvid Soul and James Mason.
MASSIVE let down.
Forever Jung

Postby insaneasperger » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:53 pm

like IT was? Ok will take your advice on that one I think! most SK movies are no wear near the quaility of the books!
insaneasperger

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:25 pm

:twisted: It was a multi oscar winning shining moment in movie history compared to Salem's Lot.

At least they stuck pretty much fathfully to the book, whereas the dynamics in the movie of Salem's Lot have been shifted right out of kilter.

There is a remake that I plan on seeing at some point to see if it fares any better.
Forever Jung

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:49 pm

:twisted: Oh, and BTW, the movie Return To Salem's Lot is even worse than the first.
Forever Jung

Postby insaneasperger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:05 pm

The entire Chronicles of Narnia- C.S Lewis- All I can say is the ending shocked me!!!

House Rules- Jodi Picoult, excellent book, I really enjoyed it, I demand that everyone else read it!
insaneasperger

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 pm

:twisted: I've been left with nothing new to read the last few days, so i've been reading bits of The Godfather's Revenge by Mark Wingardner.
He wrote two godfather books with which the action takes place mostly between the films.
I've read them both a couple of times.Good reads.

I've ordered a few books, including the illustrated edition of Salem's Lot (it includes new extended scenes in the book, as well as several notable differences).

I've also ordered the remake odf Salem's Lot that I mentioned a few posts ago on this thread, so i'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out.
Forever Jung

Postby insaneasperger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Change Of Heart- Jodi Picoult, Really good book, makes you think about the issues covered in it, as well as the usual surprise ending!
insaneasperger

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm

:twisted: All my SK books have arrived, but i've got a busy couple of weeks ahead of me, and I don't want to read a bit, then a few days go by till I can take the time to read more, so I think i'll wait until the time is right to start on my new hoard :D
Forever Jung

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 pm

A book I have to review called "Arroyo Ink."

I'm running through a bunch of poetry collections and novels I have to review for one of the literary journals I work for, but I'm also finding time to read stuff for me. I finished "Farewell, My Lovely", and I'm about to start on "Life of Pi."
barnaclelapse

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Just finishing up The Appeal by John Grisham. I used to read all of his stuff the minute it came out in paperback but I fell behind a bit. I have 3 books of his to catch up on now!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: All my SK books have arrived, but i've got a busy couple of weeks ahead of me, and I don't want to read a bit, then a few days go by till I can take the time to read more, so I think i'll wait until the time is right to start on my new hoard :D

Have you ever read any of Shaun Hutson's books?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Forever Jung » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:50 am

:twisted: I've not MC.
I dare say he's someone you'de recommend then?
Forever Jung

Postby barnaclelapse » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:17 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Just finishing up The Appeal by John Grisham. I used to read all of his stuff the minute it came out in paperback but I fell behind a bit. I have 3 books of his to catch up on now!

Was it...APPEALing?
barnaclelapse

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion