Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Does Neil Hannon wear glasses?

And fine you can have Rory, on the condition that you fix me up with somebody else from the Whoniverse.

He has done in some pictures I've seen, and they look great!

Alonso Frame or Son of Mine, I presume? :D
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Paul B wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:Does Neil Hannon wear glasses?

And fine you can have Rory, on the condition that you fix me up with somebody else from the Whoniverse.

He has done in some pictures I've seen, and they look great!

Alonso Frame or Son of Mine, I presume? :D


I shall google immediately.

And why the 'or' - surely you meant to put 'and'? :)
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:Does Neil Hannon wear glasses?

And fine you can have Rory, on the condition that you fix me up with somebody else from the Whoniverse.

He has done in some pictures I've seen, and they look great!

Alonso Frame or Son of Mine, I presume? :D


I shall google immediately.

And why the 'or' - surely you meant to put 'and'? :)

Sure, we can throw in Adam, the 9th Doctor's brief and seldom mentioned companion, The 10th Doctor, a couple of those young fellas from Daleks in Manhattan and a few others too. :lol:
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Paul B wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:
Paul B wrote:Alonso Frame or Son of Mine, I presume? :D


I shall google immediately.

And why the 'or' - surely you meant to put 'and'? :)

Sure, we can throw in Adam, the 9th Doctor's brief and seldom mentioned companion, The 10th Doctor, a couple of those young fellas from Daleks in Manhattan and a few others too. :lol:


Oh yes, Andrew Garfield from Daleks in Manhattan has gone on to become Spider-Man (and also the love of my life). Is he to your liking?

So that's me, you, Rory, Adam, Midshipman Frame, Son of Mine, the boys from Manhattan, Quintas from Fires of Pompeii, Jethro from the masterpiece that is Midnight... and can we bung in a Slitheen or two as well?
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Oh yes, Andrew Garfield from Daleks in Manhattan has gone on to become Spider-Man (and also the love of my life). Is he to your liking?

So that's me, you, Rory, Adam, Midshipman Frame, Son of Mine, the boys from Manhattan, Quintas from Fires of Pompeii, Jethro from the masterpiece that is Midnight... and can we bung in a Slitheen or two as well?

Yes indeed he is. I must get round to watching the new Spider-man.

Jethro's all yours, he does nothing for me - he's as bland as the episode he's featured in. :twisted: the slitheen aren't to my taste either... All that farting.

What a filthy conversation this has degenerated into! I must go to bed and get some sleep... Nothing else, I swear.
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Paul B wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:
Oh yes, Andrew Garfield from Daleks in Manhattan has gone on to become Spider-Man (and also the love of my life). Is he to your liking?

So that's me, you, Rory, Adam, Midshipman Frame, Son of Mine, the boys from Manhattan, Quintas from Fires of Pompeii, Jethro from the masterpiece that is Midnight... and can we bung in a Slitheen or two as well?

Yes indeed he is. I must get round to watching the new Spider-man.

Jethro's all yours, he does nothing for me - he's as bland as the episode he's featured in. :twisted: the slitheen aren't to my taste either... All that farting.

What a filthy conversation this has degenerated into! I must go to bed and get some sleep... Nothing else, I swear.


It's marvellous. I saw it 4 times. I preferred it to the recent Dark Knight Rises.

And you totally killed the mood there with your Midnight bashing, so maybe you should go to bed. Take Rory with you while you're at it.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:It's marvellous. I saw it 4 times. I preferred it to the recent Dark Knight Rises.

Another film I have to see! I'll try to source a download for Spider-man, the combination of Andrew Garfield and your recommendation is enough. :)

And you totally killed the mood there with your Midnight bashing, so maybe you should go to bed. Take Rory with you while you're at it.

If you insist. :D Goodnight!
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Paul B wrote:Another film I have to see! I'll try to source a download for Spider-man, the combination of Andrew Garfield and your recommendation is enough. :)


Well, I love Midnight, so do you really trust my recommendations? Andrew Garfield in skin-tight spandex is literally as good as life gets though.

If you insist. :D Goodnight!


I'd say sweet dreams, but I guess that's now a given. :) Night.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Just a quick post. I'm in the camp that enjoyed the latest episode. Might not be the most concept-stretching of storylines, but they made use of a Western setting just fine.

I'm enjoying the sight of some Doctor rage in the recent episodes. I would like to see a bit more use for Rory and Amy, considering they're not long to be. The stories certainly appear even more heavily focussed on our Doctor.

Next week's trailer looks intriguing.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Decent episode tonight, I thought. Far better than Chris Chibnall's previous effort this series, but I can't help but feel any other writer would've taken this concept and made it much better. The fast-paced phantasmagoria, celebrity cameos, news alerts, and modern day Earth setting were very reminiscent of the RTD era, which I appreciated. As I've sadly come to expect nowadays, the main storyline was rather disappointingly wrapped up. My favourite moment of the episode was probably the heart-to-heart talk between Amy and the Doctor on the waterfront. Seeing Amy and Rory's home life, and exploring the friendships of the core trio was what saved this episode from complete disappintment. Of course, seeing Rory in his underwear didn't hurt either.

A 6.5/10 for me. As a "breather" before what will undoubtedly be an emotional rollercoaster next week, it worked OK, I guess, but the core story was just too middle of the road.

The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe - 4/10
Asylum of the Daleks - 8/10
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - 5/10
A Town Called Mercy - 7/10
The Power of Three - 6.5/10

Unfortunately this series is shaping up to be merely 'decent'. Hopefully next week's episode will see a return to form.
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Aside from looking at your grade, I've avoided your thoughts on this week's episode. I'm in Manchester and won't get to see The Power of Three until tomorrow evening. :(
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:45 pm

I started out enjoying the latest episode, but by the time the end credits rolled it ended up pretty flat. I liked all the Amy/Rory 'home' stuff and Amy/Doctor interaction as well, but the intriguing main story kind of petered out. Good idea with disappointing execution.

I did chuckle at
Spoiler: show
Prof Brian Cox
doing a news soundbite. I was half expecting him to have a line about the 'millions and billions of cubes'.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:13 pm

Yowza, what an episode that was.

I thought that was easily the best episode we've had in quite a long time. The writing and direction were some of the best the show has seen. The location filming in New York really paid off, and put the Doctor's 2007 visit to Manhattan to shame¬

Story-wise, I thought this was clever and heartbreaking. Moffat loves his timey-wimey and I was sure we'd be seeing some sort of reset button ending. Not so. As you all know, Amy has been far from my favourite companion, but right now, I'm in pieces. Her and Rory's final scenes were perfect. I shed a tear.

Not sure what else to say, really...
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Definitely one of the strongest episodes of the Moffat era. Emotionally, it was draining. I have loved Amy and Rory as companions, and I will miss them a great deal. Their final scenes were indeed perfect and made me a tad misty-eyed. I would've liked to have seen where their lives took them in the past. Their desire for children wasn't touched on again but a part of me hopes they got what they wanted. It was terrific seeing River again, and the Angels were utilised far better here than back in the fifth series.

A terrific swan song for a companion, one I would argue is the best the series has had.
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Paul B wrote:Definitely one of the strongest episodes of the Moffat era. Emotionally, it was draining. I have loved Amy and Rory as companions, and I will miss them a great deal. Their final scenes were indeed perfect and made me a tad misty-eyed. I would've liked to have seen where their lives took them in the past. Their desire for children wasn't touched on again but a part of me hopes they got what they wanted. It was terrific seeing River again, and the Angels were utilised far better here than back in the fifth series.

A terrific swan song for a companion, one I would argue is the best the series has had.


Do you mean the best companion the series has had or the best swansong for a companion the series has ever had?

I agree that the Angels were utilised far better here than they were back in Series 5. They were back to being properly frightening again. I think that's got more to do with the excellent direction than anything else. And I also agree (this is getting scary) that it would have been nice to have seen the life Amy and Rory made for themselves - perhaps a few snapshots of their years together during Amy's afterward. Glad that River (my one and only woman crush) wasn't written out too (as I expected her to be) - as far as I'm concerned, she's welcome to re-join the Doctor any time. The sooner the better.

My only real gripe is that part of me thinks there was enough story here to fill two episodes. I miss the two-parters.

Series 7:
Asylum of the Daleks 8.5/10
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship 6.5/10
A Town Called Mercy 5/10
The Power of Three 6/10
The Angels Take Manhattan 9.5/10
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Do you mean the best companion the series has had or the best swansong for a companion the series has ever had?

The best swansong for a companion. As for best companions, I think combined Amy and Rory would come 2nd after Donna.

Cake for Brains wrote:I agree that the Angels were utilised far better here than they were back in Series 5. They were back to being properly frightening again. I think that's got more to do with the excellent direction than anything else. And I also agree (this is getting scary) that it would have been nice to have seen the life Amy and Rory made for themselves - perhaps a few snapshots of their years together during Amy's afterward. Glad that River (my one and only woman crush) wasn't written out too (as I expected her to be) - as far as I'm concerned, she's welcome to re-join the Doctor any time. The sooner the better.

As nice as it would've been for Amy/Rory/River to set up the perfect family unit somehow, it would've been limiting in terms of River appearances so I'm glad she wasn't written out too. Maybe she doesn't need to appear quite as much as in series 6, but her presence certainly makes for greater viewing.

I would've liked to have seen a 'coda' detailing Amy and Rory's life, but I guess that may have seen a tad self-serving, something which Moffat was probably keen to avoid after the companions round-up at the end of The End of Time (don't get me wrong, I liked that, but it was a tad overblown!)

Come to think of it, I kind of feel sorry for Rory's dad. He urged the Doctor to take them on more adventures, and now he'll never see them again. :(

Cake for Brains wrote:My only real gripe is that part of me thinks there was enough story here to fill two episodes. I miss the two-parters.

Me too, it's a shame Moffat seems to have washed his hands of them completely. If anything, he's the only one that can write two-parters successfully.

My ratings:
The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe - 4/10
Asylum of the Daleks - 8/10
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - 5/10
A Town Called Mercy - 7/10
The Power of Three - 6.5/10
The Angels Take Manhattan - 9/10

Strange, I tend to rate the weaker episodes higher than you, and you rate the stronger episodes higher than me.
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Paul B wrote:The best swansong for a companion. As for best companions, I think combined Amy and Rory would come 2nd after Donna.


I agree that tonight's episode was probably the best farewell for a companion that the new series has done. Though I think all the departures have been handled brilliantly - even Martha's rather understated 'this is me, getting out' exit in Last of the Time Lords has grown on me.

As nice as it would've been for Amy/Rory/River to set up the perfect family unit somehow, it would've been limiting in terms of River appearances so I'm glad she wasn't written out too. Maybe she doesn't need to appear quite as much as in series 6, but her presence certainly makes for greater viewing.

I would've liked to have seen a 'coda' detailing Amy and Rory's life, but I guess that may have seen a tad self-serving, something which Moffat was probably keen to avoid after the companions round-up at the end of The End of Time (don't get me wrong, I liked that, but it was a tad overblown!)


Her and Matt Smith have great chemistry too. I don't think she'd necessarily work as a full-time companion though. I suppose the wonderful thing about River is the fact that she only pops up from time to time. I also love the fact that she's been appearing since 2008 - she could end up being the longest-serving cast member the new series ever has at this rate.

Overblown?! *puts fingers in ears*

Me too, it's a shame Moffat seems to have washed his hands of them completely. If anything, he's the only one that can write two-parters successfully.

My ratings:
The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe - 4/10
Asylum of the Daleks - 8/10
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - 5/10
A Town Called Mercy - 7/10
The Power of Three - 6.5/10
The Angels Take Manhattan - 9/10

Strange, I tend to rate the weaker episodes higher than you, and you rate the stronger episodes higher than me.


Indeed. And if anything this series has made it clearer than ever that the guest writers simply cannot match the standard of Moffat's output. It's proving a real problem for the series.

Oh, and I can't agree with you about Moffat being the only one able to write two-parters - the RTD era had plenty of very good double episode stories. Aliens of London/World War Three... need I say more? :)
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I agree that tonight's episode was probably the best farewell for a companion that the new series has done. Though I think all the departures have been handled brilliantly - even Martha's rather understated 'this is me, getting out' exit in Last of the Time Lords has grown on me.

I think "understated" is a nice word for "overlooked" - just like Martha, sadly.

Her and Matt Smith have great chemistry too. I don't think she'd necessarily work as a full-time companion though. I suppose the wonderful thing about River is the fact that she only pops up from time to time. I also love the fact that she's been appearing since 2008 - she could end up being the longest-serving cast member the new series ever has at this rate.

Yep, their chemistry is so great I can't see River Song being a part of the eventual 12th Doctor's adventures, but here's hoping. No one can last forever in Doctor Who though, so I wonder how her story will eventually turn out (although I guess we already know how!)

Oh, and I can't agree with you about Moffat being the only one able to write two-parters - the RTD era had plenty of very good double episode stories. Aliens of London/World War Three... need I say more? :)

I meant out of the current writers. RTD did write great multi-parters. I get the feeling he probably re-wrote more parts of other episodes than Moffat cares to, which definitely helped the quality stay consistent.
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Great way to sign out the Rory/Amy run. Always enjoy an 'angels' story even if it is difficult to convey their terror without some liberty being taken on the moving only when not beeing seen, in the blink of an eye, danger.

I did feel quite sad to see our pair of companions dispatched from the series. Also agree that this story could have been fleshed out further into an excellent two-parter.

Pity we get this 'mid-season' break now, but at least Merlin's due to start next week.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Emil » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:45 am

Hi,
I just finished "Angels of Manhattan" and there is something I can't get straight. Where in River's timeline does this take place? She says she is no longer in prison because the Doctor wiped himself out of existence; does that mean this is after her imprisonment, thus after Demon's run etc? Or is there something even more timey-wimey going on?
It appears that she is very familiar with the Angels.
The question is, does the scriptwriter have a good idea about this himself?
User avatar
Emil
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Hector » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Unfortunately Doctor Who is made up as it goes along these days. Its forgivable to have conflicting information within the entire 60 year mythology, but it seems Moffat has been throwing in any idea that comes into his head these last 3 years. It's annoying but its best to just pretend each episode is indpendant and seperate from the last. As for that episode - there were some very cool ideas (the film noir etc) but there were some very obvious issuses within the episode itself. Moffats wrk on Sherlock has been a lot more fun to be honest.
Hector
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Emil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:02 am

Hector wrote:Unfortunately Doctor Who is made up as it goes along these days. Its forgivable to have conflicting information within the entire 60 year mythology, but it seems Moffat has been throwing in any idea that comes into his head these last 3 years. It's annoying but its best to just pretend each episode is indpendant and seperate from the last. As for that episode - there were some very cool ideas (the film noir etc) but there were some very obvious issuses within the episode itself. Moffats wrk on Sherlock has been a lot more fun to be honest.

Hm, that's a harsh judgment Hector. Me, I find the script to be quite consistent these days. Now after browsing a few other fan sites I learnt that, according to most, the professor title + getting out of jail means that this happens *after* all her other stuff with the 11th doctor, and before the Library (obviously).
I guess this is the only way they could write sensible adventures about the two without all the time having to think about how much River is supposed to know..
But it does distort the "meeting in reverse order" thing that was the key ingredient in their bitter/romantic saga. Perhaps when this storyline was over we are just supposed to stop worrying, sit back and enjoy adventures with the Doctor and River, as you suggested Hector.
User avatar
Emil
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Paul B » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:34 pm

I thought this year's Christmas special was enjoyable. Certainly better than last year's effort, though not quite on par with my favourite, A Christmas Carol. As with many recent episodes it was a bit light on plot, which faded into the background somewhat for the real meat of the story: the Oswin/Clara/Oswald/whatever mystery. Somewhat intriguing, although having a character shrouded in secrecy may be retreading the River Song thing a tad. Time will tell. She was certainly likeable. I enjoyed the returns of Madame Vastra, Jenny and the Sontaran, their presence made for some great humorous moments. I'm glad the Moffat era has finally assembled some proper recurring characters. The whole thing felt appropriately Christmassy as well, which Moffat always seems to pull off. On the fence about the new opening credits.

Overall, I'd give it a 7.5/10. Not perfect, but entertaining enough for Christmas Day escapism.
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Emil » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:10 pm

Paul B wrote:On the fence about the new opening credits.

Same here. Ends with the doors of theTardis opening: isn't that a bit cheesy?

I still haven't watched the entire episode so I can't say more yet. But I saw an interview where the Doctor Who cast talked about Richard E Grant - known to us as Stephen Moon :) - as some sort of royalty! Never realized he was so famous?
User avatar
Emil
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Yep decent Xmas outing this year. Enjoyable 'intro' to the new sidekick character, and i like that it brought some intriguing reason to her initial appearance in the recent dalek episode. Looking forward to seeing her upcoming proper companioning.

I didn't mind the new credits. I liked that they've chucked a brief Doctor portrait shot into the mix.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.