Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Who loves the Doctor?

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:37 pm

Ooh - the best yet tonight! Genuinely spooky, funny, and moving in places too. The bit wherethe Doctor kisses Gwyneth on the forehead was just beautiful.
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Kris » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:53 pm

I think it's a crying shame that Chris Ecclestone's only doing one series - he was absolutely brilliant tonight - I loved that line about the happy medium!
Kris

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:57 pm

Yeah, it's gonna get harder and harder to say goodbye to him at the end of the series. The ultimate regeneration, this'll be!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:12 pm

Magnificent episode, as I predicted! [:]:-)[/:] And next week a UFO is going to crash into Big Ben - just your average Saturday night TV then![:];-)[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:20 pm

Indeed, the little teaser for next week looked amazing!

The overnights are in:

Doctor Who: 8.3 million (37% share);
Ant & Dec: 7.1 million (31% share).

Doctor Who is a genuine ratings phenomenon, as that once again places it as the BBC's second most popular programme (after EastEnders).
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:43 pm

Those rating are amazing. It just goes to show how the Beeb have neglected Who over the last 16 years, there's obviously a a willing audience out there now they've got the time slot right (I seem to remember back in the '80's they stuck it opposite Coronation Street which was obviously suicide).

I'm sure these ratings are exceeding even the Beeb's expectations...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:13 pm

I think they are exceeding the Beeb's expectations, yeah. The BBC's Head of Drama said she expected 6.5 million for the first episode - and it ended up with 10.8m. The second will probably end up with about 8 million by the time the official figure comes out, and last night's with about 9 million. Hooray!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Loved the idea of the corpse going to the theatre to see the show! Think I've sat next to a few people like that at my local cinema!! Amazed to see that the audience figures are holding firm and even increasing as the series progresses! Will be interesting to see the ratings for the Dalek episode coming up soon! By the way B.A where do you get the ratings figures from so quickly after the show is broadcast?
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:51 pm

Mappeal, to get the ratings I visit a Doctor Who board at www.gallifreyone.com - and they in turn get them from a site called viewingfigures.com (but that requires a paid subscription so I'm not a member!).
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:55 pm

Looking at the success and media frenzy that's surrounded the show since its return I would like to predict that come October there will be an award for the show at the National TV awards and maybe even a Bafta next year!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:56 am

I do hope so - certainly the writing and the acting should be honoured. I just hope it doesn't get snubbed because it's 'just' sci-fi.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:21 pm

This thread is now getting a bit long for those (like me) who have a very slow connection so I'm going to open up a new thread. Thanks to everyone for contributing so far[:]:-)[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

Jocelyn

Doctor Who continued

Postby Jocelyn » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:26 pm

Starting off a fresh thread for Doctor Who since the first one was getting a bit long. Happy posting![:]:-)[/:]

Jocelyn

Re: Doctor Who continued

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:29 pm

Nevermind this Jocelyn! Get your bum over to the Frasier Forum and the Best of Season 10 thread. There's been a very interesting post on there...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:33 pm

For the benefit of those with dial up connections, I'll close this now. Please post your thoughts on the Doc on Jocelyn's new thread.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Jocelyn » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:42 pm

How disappointing. I was hoping it would be Saladin K. Patterson[:]:-)[/:]

I might post my response on that thread if I feel brave enough to withstand Mr O'Shannon's wrath[:]:-O[/:]

(Cheers for closing the other thread BN)

Jocelyn

Postby ToffeeGirl » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:15 pm

Casanovas David Tennant is to be the new Dr Who according to reports in the media.

I have never been a Dr Who fan and thought I would give the new series a whirl simply because I adore Christopher Eccleston, he is such a good actor and I have to say I have loved every minute of it. Eccleston has been amazing and I was bitterly disappointed to hear that he won’t be continuing on as the Dr.

Last weekends episode was the best so far, penned by one of the “League of Gentlemen” troop the dark humour in there was great.
The Beeb must be thrilled with the numbers its getting to.

Looking forward to tonight’s instalment.
"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free"
ToffeeGirl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:24 pm

I heard about David Tennant too TG. I think he's great in Cassanova, but I'm not sure how he'll do as the Doctor. He seems more of a comedy actor to me, although that's no bad thing...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Jocelyn » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:30 pm

What a superb episode tonight with a UFO crashing into Big Ben and the PM getting killed by aliens (well we can but dream[:]:-))[/:]) and as it's the first of a two-parter we finally got an old-style cliffhanger at the end[:]:-)[/:]

Not sure what the point of all the flatulence jokes was but they didn't hamper my enjoyment too much. Best episode yet.

Jocelyn

Postby David F » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:09 pm

Hi,
I have to agree with you Jocelyn, tonight was the best episode yet, the story and the cliffhanger at the end, brilliant. I have enjoyed all the episodes so far and have to say that at last the BBC has produced a show that has given us great acting from its two main stars (I was worried about Billie Piper at first but have to say she is very good) great writing and all round quality from the cast and crew. At long last Saturday night is getting back to the good old days where Tv programmes were well made and time and money were spent on them. I hope that the BBC learn a lesson from this and that is, you can pull in good viewing figures with good actors and quality programme makers and not reality shows that treats the audience like they are in primary school then asks them to ring in and vote for.... well anything these days. British Tv needs the likes of Lord Lew Grade back (there is his nephew Michael, but this is the man that commissioned Eastenders and cancelled Doctor Who, so maybe not). Long live Doctor Who and quality programmes that follow. Fingers crossed.
David F

Postby Ali 75 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:08 am

I've missed the last two, but I agree with David, it is nice to have a scripted show to watch on a Saturday night, and not another hospital/detective type of show either. These days it's all light entertainment and reality crap, having Dr Who back on again makes me think of better times back when I was a kid when Saturday night was the highlight of the week rather than the night when you wanted to be anywhere but home! ITV is particularly bad at the moment, with some show for old past it pop stars (didn't even bother to find out what it was called) 'Ant n' Dec', 'Millionaire' and a Madonna tribute show. Just kill me now[:]NUT[/:]
Ali 75

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:54 am

I've watched the previous two episodes of Doctor Who and have been extremely impressed. Between 1999-2001 I was literally obsessed with Doctor Who (my favourites being Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker) and viewed more or less every episode possible. I am so pleased what they have done to it, because it had to be spot on or else my memories would have been totally ruined. I am delighted, although surprised that there is still a large demand for such a programme, as in ratings is doing enormously well.

I have to say I preferred 'The Unquiet Dead' to last nights offering, but I still enjoyed it. I sat with my younger siblings (ages 4 and 5) and they were transfixed with what can only be described as terror, which for me sums up the existance of Dr. Who. 41 years since it's debut kids are still hiding behind the sofa. I didn't like the continuous farting, but the rest was excellent. I liked the Slitheen, and the cliffhanger was excellent, although the tension was marred somewhat with the 'next time' preview. I am enjoying it, and will continue watching it. I have to say though, it is one of the few goods things on TV at the moment, being a comedy fan there's nothing decent on at all. I watched Derren Brown: Trick of the Mind on Friday and Dr Who last night, but that's all I watch on normal television. The constant dumbing down and more and more cheap reality trash is just banal and insulting to my intelligence. Glad to see the BBC have set the TARDIS spinning again...
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:38 pm

It's official:-

<http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050416/325/fgh5d.html>

David Tennant will be the new Doctor then. He's very good in Casanova, and seems a little eccentric too so it should be fun to watch! From what the article says, I reckon the regeneration episode will be at Christmas with a new 13 part series this time next year.

Let's hope he's as good as Mr Eccleston!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:41 pm

I watched a bit of Casanova and Tennant seemed a bit like a younger Sylvester McCoy! Let's hope he sticks around for more than one series. The Doc's running out of lives![:]:-)[/:]

Jocelyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:30 am

Loved Saturday's episode. I can imagine the farting will have annoyed a few people (not me, although perhaps it was a *tad* overdone), and out of all of the episode so far it felt much more like 'old' Doctor Who, which probably had more to do with the slower pace afforded by the two-part running time. That's not to say I dislike the one-parters though, quite the opposite. It's just nice that there are a few longer stories thrown in for good measure. And what a brilliant cast, too.

I'm thrilled about David Tennant - I can see him being superb. He's charming and a little eccentric, and also very sexy. Yay! While I'm sad Eccleston is leaving so soon, I'm pleased another fantastic actor is taking over.
Bad Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion