Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Doctor Who continued

Postby ToffeeGirl » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:16 pm

Excellent episode on Saturday but I was so frustrated that they left with a cliffhanger and now I have to wait a whole 6 days to find out what happens.
I was a little freaked out by that bloody pig though, don’t know about scaring the kids it was enough to give me an interesting nightmare that evening.
"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free"
ToffeeGirl

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:40 pm

Who was between by Ant & Dec on Saturday, the Doctor only got 7m while the latter got 7.1m
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:48 pm

Boo! Hopefully the Daleks ep will put Who back in it's rightful place.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:23 pm

It's pyschologically annoying to see Who being beaten, but 7 million is still a huge figure for any drama, let alone one with such stiff competition. The BBC will still be thrilled with this! Take 'Hustle' - it's been promoted almost non-stop these last three weeks and has already been given a third series. It gets around 5 million viewers! Another half a million or so will also be added on to 'Doctor Who's' figure for video recordings.

Plus, the BBC3 repeat on Sunday attracted 600,000 viewers (more than new stuff like '24' gets on Sky One, even!).

Ahem. Anorak mode off!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Ali 75 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:49 pm

Don't worry B.A, it was only beaten by A&D because it was their last show of the series. This Saturday it will be up against Celebrity Wrestling, um..Dr Who or Celebrity Wrestling[:]?[/:] Such a tough decision isn't it[:]NUT[/:]
Ali 75

Postby Jocelyn » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:02 pm

Well I'm sure Doctor Who will beat the living daylights out of Nonentity Wrestling[:]:-I[/:]

BA - switching back to anorak mode[:];-)[/:], do you know exactly how many episodes of Doctor Who are still missing? Presumably it's only Hartnell and Troughton episodes?
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Mappeal » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:15 am

Don't be so sure Jocelyn! Never overestimate the preferences and taste of the viewing public. Don't be surprised if "Celebrity"Wrestling beats the good Doctor in the ratings!! ITV knows their audience and always appeals to the lowest common denominator! It's gobsmacking to think that this is the same network that produced Brideshead Revisited and The Jewel In The Crown !!
Mappeal

Postby Ali 75 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:38 am

Sadly Mappeal is probably right[:]:-([/:]
Ali 75

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:32 pm

Indeed. Thankfully BBC1 will have the moral high ground!

Jocelyn, I *think* there are 109 episodes missing now, although I'm not exactly sure. They found one last year which they released in a DVD box-set of odd episodes from the 60s (ie episodes which exist but the entire story doesn't).

And yeah, all the missing episodes are from the 60s - although there are a few Pertwee ones in black and white because the BBC lost the original colour copies!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:05 pm

Thanks BA. It was quite common for only b/w editions of early colour shows to survive. The Beeb must have been short of a bob or two in those days! Scary to think but the entire first series of Monty Python was almost wiped shortly after it's first transmission until Terry Jones heard about this and quickly made his own copies (thankfully the episodes were saved anyway).

Yes I'm fully aware of the tastes of the viewing public, or rather television executives' low opinion of audience intelligence (remember last year's Big Brother/Frasier finale scheduling fiasco?[:]}:-([/:]). I'm surprised ITV haven't merged their two Saturday evening reality shows 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' and 'Celebrity Wrestling' into one and made a show which features the likes of Limahl and Shakin' Stevens battering each other with their microphone stands. Actually I'd probably tune into that[:]:-))[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

Jocelyn

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:59 pm

Did anyone see tonight's episode? have to say, it is growing on me and I will be definately tuning in for David Tennant but Chris ecclestone is a very good doctor
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:51 pm

Loved tonight's! Exciting and funny, with a really nice, touching ending. This series really is balancing the thrills and the 'real drama' very well indeed.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:10 am

Yeah, loved it. Is it just me or were there a few subtle political points made? "Massive Weapons of Destruction" turning up and the PM being revealed as an Alien! [:]:-))[/:]

Loved the Dalek preview for next week too. I also accidentally saw the Dalek 'elevating' up the stairs in next week's ep as my TV was still tuned in to Beeb 1 for the following Julian Clary quiz show which included a clip.

Maybe the promo's will help lift Who back up to the 10 million level?
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:30 pm

'Dalek' will almost certainly see an increase in the ratings. I just wonder by how much! It's getting another Radio Times cover this week (is it unheard of for a show to get two RT covers during the same series?), and the promotions have been shown a lot apparently. It'll be interesting to see!

Not that it seems to need much help, mind - last night's ratings:

Doctor Who: 7.3 million (38% share);
Celebrity Wrestling: 3.8 million (20% share).

Fantastic! There is justice...
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:43 pm

That's a great figure BA, I take it the Doc is still the Beeb's highest rated drama?

Maybe the Dalek ep won't push it over 10 mil but I think it will be close, especially with the RT cover for a second time. It's great to see the Beeb really pushing the boat out with the promotion.

Btw, can anyone help but watch Dr Who at the minute and NOT imagine what David Tennant is going to be like delivering the same lines? I think Eccleston is great though, I just can't help looking to the future.

I wish the DT news had been delayed until after this series has finished it's run...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:59 pm

I watched the repat on BBC3 tonight and I thought it was a huge improvement on the first episode. This concluding episode was action packed, scary (for a 7pm slot) and touchingly humane. I thought it was sad when Rose's mother asked her to stay! I think the BBC should be really proud of the Doctor's ressurection, as it could have all gone hugely wrong. But thanks to superb performances, great special effects and excellent scripts, Who has managed to restore the dirge of Saturday night TV.

The preview for next weeks episode actually had me grinning. It looks FANTASTIC (apologies for capital letters, got carried away)

Oh, the Vol 1 Docotr Who DVD featuring the first 3 eps is released on 16th May
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:28 pm

Doctor Who is sort of vying with 'Casualty' and 'Holby City' as the BBC's most popular drama. But frankly that's a better achievement than anyone could have wished for. That such a quirky series is holding its own with the boring, soapy medical series is great indeed!

And it also thrashed ITV and got the highest percentage share of any programme on Saturday, with 38%. For any TV show these days 30% is considered a fantastic success, so 38% is superb! Can't be bad!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:19 pm

Remember the overnight figures a couple of weeks back saying that Doctor Who ('Aliens of London') had been beaten by Ant & Dec for the first time? Well, the official figures are in and Doctor Who in fact remains undefeated!

Doctor Who: 7.63 million
Ant & Dec: 7.37 million.

Hooray!

Who was also only behind EastEnders and Casualty as the Beeb's most popular show.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:40 pm

There's only going to be one dalek in this Saturday's episode but I'm hoping that they'll resurface at the end of the series and we get to see loads of them terrorising London!

Oh, and how great is the cover of this week's Radio Times?[:]:-)[/:]

Jocelyn

Postby Mappeal » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:06 pm

At last! The new Dalek looks like a hard assed bastard and will hopefully act like one too!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:14 am

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

The Daleks are back at the end of the series as far as I know, Jocelyn! It'd be quite fitting if they're the cause of the Doctor's regeneration, as amazingly that's never happened before!

The Dalek does look super-hard, I agree Mappeal! The new extermination effect is great too. Can't wait for tomorrow!
Bad Ambassador

Postby ToffeeGirl » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:08 pm

Great episode last week a nice conclusion to the cliff-hanger and as mentioned before they are getting the right balance of touching drama and exciting action and a fair amount of comedy thrown in for good measure. Its making excellent Saturday night TV for a change!

Not being a Dr Who fan from years gone by, I am interested to see what all the fuss is about re these Daleks…..i say bring them on.
"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free"
ToffeeGirl

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:58 pm

Possible spoiler

Up until now all of the episode titles have been revealed except Ep 12, except I've just found a website that says Ep 12 is called Bad Wolf
Cake for Brains

Postby Mappeal » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:59 pm

As much as I am looking forward to tomorrows episode I can't help cracking up every time I see that trailer on the Beeb. When the Dalek says "Doctor?, THE Doctor?" it makes it sound like a manic autograph hunter!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun May 01, 2005 12:47 pm

It was brilliant! Simply brilliant, and the first time I've ever found a Dalek genuinely menacing and enjoyable to watch. Its new abilities were wonderful, love the swivelling body and what the plunger can now do! It's a proper killing maching, rather than the trundling, creaking things they always used to be. Chilling!

Also trashed ITV:

Doctor Who: 7.83 million (43% share);
Celebrity Wrestling: 3.05 million (18% share).

It was the most-watched show of the day, and that share is HUGE!
Bad Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion