Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Doctor Who continued

Postby ToffeeGirl » Sun May 01, 2005 1:05 pm

I have to say that while I loved the episode and thought it was very entertaining, I couldn’t help but laugh every time the Dalek spoke, I was more freaked out by the mutated pig from two weeks ago.

And it has to be said that Todd from Corry runs like a big girl.

Those are fab numbers though the Beeb must be thrilled, but with each passing episode I can’t help but feel worse that we will Lose CE as the Dr, he was brilliant again last night.
"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free"
ToffeeGirl

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun May 01, 2005 2:49 pm

Great to see Bruno Langley again!
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun May 01, 2005 3:58 pm

TG, if the Dalek didn't affect you in last night's episode then it never will! As a pure killing machine it worked so well, I thought! Cunning and clever too, unlike the Daleks of old!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon May 02, 2005 5:11 pm

I loved the Dalek episode. It was pure, unbridled Doctor Who cornyness:-

"It's just downloaded the Internet! It knows everything!!"

Great stuff [:]:-))[/:].

Ok all you guys in the know, any news on another Dalek ep at the end of the series? There was great play made of the fact that this was the last Dalek in the universe, so it would be interesting to see how they could work a few more into proceedings. Does anyone know if Michael Wisher is still kicking around somewhere? It's over 30 years since he made the 'Davros' part his own, personally I would love to see that role reprised.

Btw, I thought Todd Grimshaw was pants.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mappeal » Mon May 02, 2005 5:38 pm

There are definitely more Daleks to come later in the series BN just not sure when but I'd lay money on them being the cause of the Doctors' regeneration! Absolutely loved the episode last night and had goosebumps when the Doctor spotted the Cyberman head in the display case and even better was the fact that they used the best designed version to represent them!
Loved the new Dalek update and it's new weaponry - those globes it used to self destruct will be a useful weapon in future stories - and the way it played mind games with the Doctor and equated him to a Dalek! Christopher Ecclestons performance was wonderful , he plays the part with total conviction and will be sorely missed but you're right about Bruno Langley BN he acted like he was still in a soap ie badly!
Mappeal

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon May 02, 2005 5:57 pm

Yes, Mr Eccleston was fantastic once more, he's a great actor. I loved the new 'flexibility' of the Dalek too - move one way and shoot the other! I liked the 'elevation' scene - that could have looked really crap but the FX team (or CGI team, whatever) really pulled it off, as they have all series.

Just love the updated title music too, I was humming it to my daughter all night (I made her sit on my knee for the episode, I don't think a 12 month old can get nightmares just yet!)
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon May 02, 2005 6:14 pm

The Dalek episode on Saturday was wonderful! I had forgotten just how great a Dalek actually was, and I was surpirsed that the Daleks have stood the test of time and also that at some point I felt quite sorry for the Dalek, as it realised that it was the last (I hope not) of its kind. Rose and the Dr. were excellent all round and I just loved the feel, atmosphere, performances, everything... the best so far
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Jocelyn » Tue May 03, 2005 1:13 pm

Another great episode. Whoever thought a Dalek could feel pain? Let's hope we do see more than one of the oversized pepperpots returning at the end of the series.

Loved the Cyberman head too![:]:-))[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun May 08, 2005 9:57 pm

Last night's seventh episode was another really nice episode, although not as good as last weeks 'Dalek' masterpiece. I thought Simon Pegg (Spaced and Shaun of the Dead) was brilliant as the scary 'Editor', as well as being quite funny too. Tamsin Greig (Green Wing and Black Books) was also nice as an emotionless robot who gave Adam that head-chip thingy. I liked the idea of Floor 500 and how they never returned and liked how the Editor got control of the Doctor's knowledge.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon May 09, 2005 7:34 pm

Good episode I thought - a nice, inconsequential feel, if that makes sense. Not every episode can be 'an event', and this was proof that they don't need to be!

Also:

Doctor Who: 7.5 million (39% share);
Celebrity Wrestling: 2.5 million (14% share).

Aaaaaah!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue May 10, 2005 4:33 pm

Celebrity Wrestling's been cancelled as of the week after next. Ho-ho! For once, quality triumphs!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue May 10, 2005 6:06 pm

I'm not surprised CW has been cancelled, it never had a prayer up against the Doc!

I enjoyed Simon Pegg as well, I think he's great. I've liked him ever since that cough syrup advert where he blags a day off work.

The ep itself was ok. The monster was a bit of a steal from 'Alien' but we'll forgive it this once. I enjoyed the opening view of the Earth in the year 200,000 - I think futuristic episodes give creative minds the most freedom.

On a negative point, I'm glad we've (hopefully) seen the back of Bruno Langley, I think he's a very weak actor.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Jocelyn » Tue May 10, 2005 6:27 pm

I can't believe Celebrity Wrestling has lasted a long as it has. I shudder to think what ITV will replace it with. Celebrity Vasectomy perhaps.

There's some weird giant bird-like creatures in next week's Who which looks very promising.
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

Jocelyn

Postby Paul » Tue May 10, 2005 6:52 pm

Not been able to catch much of the series, what with travelling back from football matches, but can I just say how delighted I am that ITV's lowest common denominator approach has fallen flat on it's face with the demise of 'Celebrity Wrestling'.

Hopefully the Beeb will be quick on the draw - well quicker than Paramount! - and release the Dr Who series on DVD pronto..
Paul

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue May 10, 2005 7:34 pm

Dr. Who Vol 1 comes to DVD on Monday and contains the first 3 eps

Vol 2-4 are scattered over the next couple of months with releases in June, August and September

There is then a boxset (aparently including extras) released in a special TARDIS tin released in November
Cake for Brains

Postby Mappeal » Tue May 10, 2005 8:49 pm

ITV are replacing CW with showings of the Star Wars films in the hope that the hype surrounding the new film will rub off and boost their viewing figures although I can't see anyone who wants to watch those films willing to sit through adverts galore if they have the films on video or dvd! The smell of desperation hangs heavy over ITV at the moment! I was amazed to hear that other piece of car crash TV Hit Me Baby.... being described as a smash hit on the radio today on a commercial channel. The mind boggles!
Mappeal

Postby Paul » Tue May 10, 2005 8:56 pm

Another genuine show in the pipeline from ITV is 'The Golden Shot with Ant and Dec'.

Surely beyond satire!
Paul

Postby Mappeal » Tue May 10, 2005 9:55 pm

I'm waiting with anticipation for ITV to give up the ghost and present us with The Evening News with Ant and Dec! Surely it can only be a matter of time.
Mappeal

Postby Jocelyn » Wed May 11, 2005 6:46 pm

ITV putting on Star Wars films which they probably only showed a few months ago shows true desperation. As Mappeal pointed out surely everyone who's a fan of those films can just watch them on DVD in widescreen and in 5.1 surround sound. What makes ITV think people would rather watch them in pan and scan format with flat stereo sound and full of commercial breaks with irritating sponsors?[:]:-I[/:]

Jocelyn

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed May 11, 2005 6:53 pm

It's obviously an attempt to shake Who's 'Sci-Fi' bedrock of fans, but most people will own the films anyway, as you say. They'll probably put "X-Factor" or some such garbage up against it next. 2.5m viewers for ITV on a Saturday evening is just abysmal, I bet you can pick up those advetisement slots for ten pence each!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Ali 75 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:56 am

Isn't that 'Celebrity' Jungle show starting soon? Abi whats-her-face and Rebecca thingie (Beckham's bit on the side) are in it and Callum Best. The BBC must be terrified with that star studded line-up[:]:-I[/:]
Ali 75

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu May 12, 2005 4:32 pm

'Celebrity Love Island', yeah. On every night for a few weeks, apparently. Yawn. The BBC will always have the moral high ground even if it gets thrashed in the ratings, frankly.

And who was it who described 'Hit Me Baby' as a smash hit? It's died on its arse!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Ali 75 » Fri May 13, 2005 12:37 am

I caught a bit of that show..bloody hell, all my childhood nightmares came back to haunt me - Shakin' Stevens, Tiffany, Chesney Hawkes. Make it stop[:]NUT[/:].
Ali 75

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 13, 2005 10:50 am

OMG I didn't realise THAT was the show ITV are pitting against the Doc. I caught a bit too and thought maybe Doctor Who had started early. This weeks episode: The Doctor gets transported back to the shittest period in pop music history [:]}:-([/:].

Chesney Hawkes ; Tiffany ; Jason & Kylie ; Big Fun (Remember them? Thought not) ; Bros ; Sonia. Utter wank. Thank God for The Smiths ; The Pixies and Depeche Mode during that late 80's musical holocaust.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri May 13, 2005 12:04 pm

Indeed. Thankfully 'Hit Me Baby' has averaged about 2 million viewers, so whoever described it as a 'smash hit' is clearly on the ITV payroll. Amusingly, I happened to notice GMTV's 'weekend TV pick' today - and they picked 'Hit Me Baby' and 'Celebrity Stitch Up', both ITV lowest common denominator shite. Methinks ITV is trying desperately to claw back some viewers - although I think they'd succeed if they just put on something WORTH WATCHING!
Bad Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion