Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Who loves the Doctor?

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:05 pm

Also, considering the very first Doctor Who in '63 was overshadowed by the death of JFK, did anyone else find it spooky that the first episode for 16 years was followed by a newsflash about the death of an ex-Prime Minister?

Yes, that was distinctly weird. Also, the start dates for the original series (23/11/63) and the new series (26/03/05) both come to '16' if you add up the digits! Erm, or have I read too much into this? [:]NUT[/:]
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:09 pm

As Frasier said to Rodney in "Mixed Doubles":

"Spooky!"
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:43 pm

An average of 10 million and a peak of 10.6 million watched Doctor Who last night! Some might say that's a bit of a result! [:]:-)[/:]
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:30 pm

What about Prat n Dick on ITV? What kind of ratings did they manage opposite the Doctor? Will be interesting to see how next weeks episode performs now that we have an idea of what we are going to get!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:39 pm

Ant & Dec got 7.2 million - down on their ratings for the last few weeks but still strangely impressive. Which means that there was a whole host of people waiting for something decent to watch!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:00 pm

Spot on B.A. I've avoided Saturday night T V like the plague for the past umpteen years simply because of the mind rotting garbage that the broadcasters serve up so the arrival of Doctor Who was like a gift from the gods and the fact that it was so good was just the icing on the cake! Have to say though that the TV was abandoned again as soon as the good Doctor had finished so there's still a long way to go before I'm converted!
Mappeal

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:14 pm

I think the last thing I watched on BBC1 on Saturday night was the remake of Randall & Hopkirk, which Mark Gatiss also penned an episode of.

Great to see the Doctor exterminating the competition in the ratings. Just wait till the Daleks episode![:]:-)[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

Jocelyn

Postby Mappeal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:33 am

Sorry Jocelyn but I thought the remake of Randall and Hopkirk was incredibly poor. I tried a couple of episodes and gave up very quickly in both cases. Vic and Bob are unbelieveably overated and brought nothing new to the series Felt sorry for the god like genius that is Tom Baker having to appear in this tripe! Have to agree with you regarding the Daleks though, am really looking forward to that episode!!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:59 am

Have to say though that the TV was abandoned again as soon as the good Doctor had finished so there's still a long way to go before I'm converted!

Just as long as you tune in for Doctor Who every week, that's all I'm bothered about! [:]:-)[/:]
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:03 am

No worries there B.A. I'll be tuning in every week for the good Doctor!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:48 am

Yay! Let's help make sure he comes back next year!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Ali 75 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:50 am

I hadn't really seen it before, but it was great[:]:-))[/:]. About time we had a decent show to watch rather than the 'light (or sh*te) entertainment' we usually have to endure on Saturday nights.
Ali 75

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:16 am

Wonderful! So many people who had never seen Doctor Who before are saying they loved it. The production team couldn't have done a better job!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:45 am

I didn't think the Randall & Hopkirk remake was that great, Mappeal (R&M were very wooden) but it was at least something a bit out of the ordinary to counter the usual Saturday night banality. In fact, after Doctor Who came to an end on Saturday didn't you just feel yourself crashing down to earth when the bloody Lottery show started?[:]:-I[/:]

I saw a clip from the Daleks episode where they were zapping people into skeletons! Looks very impressive and will surely be giving a new generation of kids nightmares![:]:-O[/:]

Post Edited (03-28-05 10:47)

Jocelyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:03 pm

Ooh yeah - the new Dalek extermination effect looks quite nasty actually. I can't wait!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:51 pm

I've managed so far to avoid quite a lot of the trailers and spoilers of the new series and am happy to do so! Am I the only one who gets really annoyed at all the spoilers that appear in the papers and on TV showing us what is to come in our favourite shows? I don't watch any of the soaps but I have a fairly good idea of what the "big" stories are in all of them simply by seeing the papers at work! Are the broadcasters really that scared that we won't watch their shows unless we get to see what is to come? Says a lot about people's attention spans! I like to be surprised and entertained and don't feel the need to be spoon fed by any media outlet! Ok, rant over! [:]:-))[/:]
Mappeal

Postby Kris » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:55 pm

As if the Daleks weren't scary enough last time, apparently the bloody things can climb stairs now!
Kris

Postby Mappeal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:32 pm

Don't understand all the surprise at the news of the Daleks being able to get up stairs now as I distinctly remember them doing that exact thing in one of Sylvester McCoy's stories ! Hopefully it will look a bit more convincing this time around!!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:26 pm

That's because very few people were watching during Sylvester's time, Mappeal. But yeah, be under no doubt - after this new Dalek episode nobody will be able to escape the fact that they can now fly!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:34 pm

Might be getting ahead of myself here, but if the show goes into a second series then they surely have to reinvent the Cybermen if only to wipe out their last appearance when thay looked like they had been constructed by the local primary school kids for an end of term play! At least in their earlier appearances they looked like they were proper hard bastards and not a bunch of effete mime artists!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:15 am

Heheh - my favourite Cybermen stories are 'Tomb of the Cybermen' (1967) and 'Earthshock' (1982). They're genuinely quite threatening in those adventures, rather than all being kill-able by bouncing coins off their chests like in later years.

They could work quite well in the new series, yeah!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:08 pm

Anybody listen to 'Project Who' on Radio 2 last night? Mmm.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:35 pm

A second series and a Christmas Special have been *confirmed*. Waaa-hooooooo! [:]DRINK[/:]
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:20 pm

That's great news. Presumably the special will be for this Christmas and the next series for early next year?

I wonder how they will release the new episodes on DVD? As one whole series of 13 episodes or (less likely I suppose) as separate stories like the older Doctor Who series?

Seems like there's going to be a massive blitz of merchandise throughout the year. I'm surprised they haven't released a CD single of the theme music (as was done with 'The X Files' theme a decade ago - and it charted!). BBC Records always used to reissue the theme music on 7" vinyl every time there was a new Doctor. I bought the one with Peter Davison on the sleeve.[:]:-)[/:]

Jocelyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:30 pm

The special is for this Christmas and the second series for sometime next year - although we don't know when. Doctor Who works best as a 'winter' programme really, but we'll see.

The DVDs are being released as two types - 'vanilla' releases coming soon (the first three episodes are out in May), and then a lavish, extras-packed box-set in November. Naturally, being me, I'll be buying both. [:]NUT[/:]
Bad Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion