Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The James Bond 007 Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The James Bond 007 Thread

Postby Mayday Malone » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:19 pm

For Your Eyes Only

Roger Moore's best, true to Fleming's Bond as best as Moore can with Octopussy being the second one.
Last edited by Mayday Malone on Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
User avatar
Mayday Malone
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:16 pm

Mayday Malone wrote:For Your Eyes Only

Roger Moore's best, true to Fleming's Bond as best as Moore can with Octopussy being the second one. [/i]


That's surprising. I take it you rate Moore's 80s Bond higher than his 70s version then?

Personally I thought all the 80s Bond films (including Never Say Never Again) were mediocre at best, save for the fabulous The Living Daylights!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:24 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Mayday Malone wrote:For Your Eyes Only

Roger Moore's best, true to Fleming's Bond as best as Moore can with Octopussy being the second one. [/i]


That's surprising. I take it you rate Moore's 80s Bond higher than his 70s version then?

Personally I thought all the 80s Bond films (including Never Say Never Again) were mediocre at best, save for the fabulous The Living Daylights!


I tend to agree with you, BN. For my money TSWLM is the best Bond film by Moore.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Mayday Malone wrote:For Your Eyes Only

Roger Moore's best, true to Fleming's Bond as best as Moore can with Octopussy being the second one. [/i]


That's surprising. I take it you rate Moore's 80s Bond higher than his 70s version then?

Personally I thought all the 80s Bond films (including Never Say Never Again) were mediocre at best, save for the fabulous The Living Daylights!


I tend to agree with you, BN. For my money TSWLM is the best Bond film by Moore.


I do love that, but I've always had a soft spot for Live And Let Die. My childish mates and I still quote that to each other when going for a curry... "The corner booth will do!"
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:33 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Mayday Malone wrote:For Your Eyes Only

Roger Moore's best, true to Fleming's Bond as best as Moore can with Octopussy being the second one. [/i]


That's surprising. I take it you rate Moore's 80s Bond higher than his 70s version then?

Personally I thought all the 80s Bond films (including Never Say Never Again) were mediocre at best, save for the fabulous The Living Daylights!


I tend to agree with you, BN. For my money TSWLM is the best Bond film by Moore.


I do love that, but I've always had a soft spot for Live And Let Die. My childish mates and I still quote that to each other when going for a curry... "The corner booth will do!"


LALD would probably rate 2nd of his outings, for me. It is great fun.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:35 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Mayday Malone wrote:For Your Eyes Only

Roger Moore's best, true to Fleming's Bond as best as Moore can with Octopussy being the second one. [/i]


That's surprising. I take it you rate Moore's 80s Bond higher than his 70s version then?

Personally I thought all the 80s Bond films (including Never Say Never Again) were mediocre at best, save for the fabulous The Living Daylights!


I tend to agree with you, BN. For my money TSWLM is the best Bond film by Moore.


I do love that, but I've always had a soft spot for Live And Let Die. My childish mates and I still quote that to each other when going for a curry... "The corner booth will do!"


LALD would probably rate 2nd of his outings, for me. It is great fun.


The voodoo in LALD freaked me out a bit. :oops:
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Mayday Malone » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:21 pm

I rate FYEO and Octopussy high but I do like Spy Who Loved Me but am none too fond of Golden Gun. Without sounding too full of myself, I am a bit of a Bondian and actually on the Bond forums getting a sound thrashing for not liking Thunderball, oh my!?



And yes, BGF, the Swiss Family Robinson with John Mills is the 1960 version. Though I must point out the Dick Van Dyke film Lieutenant Robin Crusoe USN, it's not half bad.
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
User avatar
Mayday Malone
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:08 pm

Mayday Malone wrote:I rate FYEO and Octopussy high but I do like Spy Who Loved Me but am none too fond of Golden Gun. Without sounding too full of myself, I am a bit of a Bondian and actually on the Bond forums getting a sound thrashing for not liking Thunderball, oh my!?


Me neither, It's quite entertaining but it was obviously made in a rush.

Thunderball tends to drag a bit for me; it could do with 20 minutes editing out I think. But what do I know, many regard it as the epitome of the franchise.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mayday Malone » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:12 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Mayday Malone wrote:I rate FYEO and Octopussy high but I do like Spy Who Loved Me but am none too fond of Golden Gun. Without sounding too full of myself, I am a bit of a Bondian and actually on the Bond forums getting a sound thrashing for not liking Thunderball, oh my!?


Me neither, It's quite entertaining but it was obviously made in a rush.

Thunderball tends to drag a bit for me; it could do with 20 minutes editing out I think. But what do I know, many regard it as the epitome of the franchise.


they do that. Probably because automatically Connery is the best Bond...do not get me started...I'll go find a beer methinks!
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
User avatar
Mayday Malone
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:25 pm

Mayday Malone wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Mayday Malone wrote:I rate FYEO and Octopussy high but I do like Spy Who Loved Me but am none too fond of Golden Gun. Without sounding too full of myself, I am a bit of a Bondian and actually on the Bond forums getting a sound thrashing for not liking Thunderball, oh my!?


Me neither, It's quite entertaining but it was obviously made in a rush.

Thunderball tends to drag a bit for me; it could do with 20 minutes editing out I think. But what do I know, many regard it as the epitome of the franchise.


they do that. Probably because automatically Connery is the best Bond...do not get me started...I'll go find a beer methinks!


Well, I do agree with that, I just think he did at least three better Bond films than Thunderball.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:58 pm

For me it would be: 1. From Russia With Love; 2. Goldfinger, 3. Dr No; 4. You Only Live Twice; 5 Thunderball; 6. Diamonds Are Forever.

We won't bother including Never Say Never Again, i assume.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Mayday Malone » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:02 pm

Trouble with NSNA is that it was an 'unofficial' film, it did come out in the same year as Octopussy and admittedly both Connery and Moore were, shall we say, reaching their Bond peak.
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
User avatar
Mayday Malone
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:08 pm

Mayday Malone wrote:Trouble with NSNA is that it was an 'unofficial' film, it did come out in the same year as Octopussy and admittedly both Connery and Moore were, shall we say, reaching their Bond peak.


Oh, they were both well past it at that stage mate! :lol:

Mine would be:-

1) YOLT
2) Goldfinger
3) From Russia With Love
4) Thunderball
5) Diamonds Are Forever
6) Dr No.

I don't dislike Dr No, it contains many iconic moments but tends to drag a bit for me.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:20 pm

It's weird, I always put YOLT relatively low down, but then love it to bits when i sit and watch it. It was even the Bond film i made our 'group' pick to show when we ran a film club at university.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:It's weird, I always put YOLT relatively low down, but then love it to bits when i sit and watch it. It was even the Bond film i made our 'group' pick to show when we ran a film club at university.


It was the first thing I ever taped off the TV when I bought a VHS player back in Jan 1986. I must have watched it a hundred times during the school holidays, yet amazingly I can still get pleasure out of watching it today.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mayday Malone » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:34 pm

John Barry soundtrack, Nancy Sinatra singing the song, Tokyo and Japanese locations, set pieces and so on...hard not to dislike YOLT.
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
User avatar
Mayday Malone
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:40 pm

Mayday Malone wrote:John Barry soundtrack, Nancy Sinatra singing the song, Tokyo and Japanese locations, set pieces and so on...hard not to dislike YOLT.


The score's sublime.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mayday Malone » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 pm

It is indeed sublime though my ever-favourite will remain that of OHMSS possessing the best Bond theme, a good song (my fav's Nobody Does It Better), good incidental music and a 'new sound' as Barry had wanted to bring his music back to basics as director Peter Hunt (OHMSS) wanted to bring Bond back to basics.

Geez, I'll sprout torrents at the slighest oppurtunity.

Image
Last edited by Mayday Malone on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
User avatar
Mayday Malone
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:48 pm

Mayday Malone wrote:It is indeed sublime though my ever-favourite will remain that of OHMSS possessing the best Bond theme, a good song (my fav's Nobody Does It Better), good incidental music and a 'new sound' as Barry had wanted to bring his music back to basics as director Peter Hunt (OHMSS) wanted to bring Bond back to basics.

Geez, I'll sprout torrents at the slighest oppurtunity.


I was actually going to add "Second only to OHMSS" but you beat me to it!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mayday Malone » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Mayday Malone wrote:It is indeed sublime though my ever-favourite will remain that of OHMSS possessing the best Bond theme, a good song (my fav's Nobody Does It Better), good incidental music and a 'new sound' as Barry had wanted to bring his music back to basics as director Peter Hunt (OHMSS) wanted to bring Bond back to basics.

Geez, I'll sprout torrents at the slighest oppurtunity.


I was actually going to add "Second only to OHMSS" but you beat me to it!


Great minds think alike, BN!?

:D
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
User avatar
Mayday Malone
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Mayday Malone wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Mayday Malone wrote:It is indeed sublime though my ever-favourite will remain that of OHMSS possessing the best Bond theme, a good song (my fav's Nobody Does It Better), good incidental music and a 'new sound' as Barry had wanted to bring his music back to basics as director Peter Hunt (OHMSS) wanted to bring Bond back to basics.

Geez, I'll sprout torrents at the slighest oppurtunity.


I was actually going to add "Second only to OHMSS" but you beat me to it!


Great minds think alike, BN!?

:D


'Tis true! :wink:

DHP's thoughts are always worth listening to on this subject, it'll be interesting to see his 'Connery' list.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby DHP » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:DHP's thoughts are always worth listening to on this subject, it'll be interesting to see his 'Connery' list.


Thanks BN. I'd probably rate them as follows...

1) From Russia With Love
2) Goldfinger
3) Dr No
4) You Only Live Twice
5) Thunderball
6) Diamonds Are Forever

1-3 are classic spy thrillers, without many of the tongue-in-cheek trappings of some of Roger Moore's efforts which now rather unfairly seem to define Bond for many people, with Bond depending on his wits to survive and get the job done. FRWL tops it for me as Robert Shaw's Grant is possibly the best villain in the series for my money. 4 is much more of a fantasy film, 5 is very good indeed, but as BN has pointed out, drags a bit by today's standards compared to the first three. 6 is just very weak for me. Connery shouldn't have been playing Bond at this point, the villains are poor (including Blofeld) and the only thing worth the price of admission for me is Tiffany Case. Not only good eye candy, she's a genuinely interesting character too.

Anyway, last film I watched was Moonraker. This could have been so much better than it was. It has some great sequences, but almost becomes a Mel Brooks parody when it uses famous theme tunes from 2001, Close Encounters and in the most cringe-inducing and out-of-place moment in a Bond film, The Magnificent Seven. However, it does have some excellent moments, so I'd give it a generous 3/5. Can see why they went 'back to basics' for the next one though.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
User avatar
DHP
 
Posts: 3102
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:35 pm

DHP wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:DHP's thoughts are always worth listening to on this subject, it'll be interesting to see his 'Connery' list.


Thanks BN. I'd probably rate them as follows...

1) From Russia With Love
2) Goldfinger
3) Dr No
4) You Only Live Twice
5) Thunderball
6) Diamonds Are Forever

1-3 are classic spy thrillers, without many of the tongue-in-cheek trappings of some of Roger Moore's efforts which now rather unfairly seem to define Bond for many people, with Bond depending on his wits to survive and get the job done. FRWL tops it for me as Robert Shaw's Grant is possibly the best villain in the series for my money. 4 is much more of a fantasy film, 5 is very good indeed, but as BN has pointed out, drags a bit by today's standards compared to the first three. 6 is just very weak for me. Connery shouldn't have been playing Bond at this point, the villains are poor (including Blofeld) and the only thing worth the price of admission for me is Tiffany Case. Not only good eye candy, she's a genuinely interesting character too.


There's a theme here. We all seem to place FRWL near the very top of our lists and DAF near the bottom. It's an enjoyable enough romp though.

When you say Connery shouldn't have been playing Bond at that point, what do you mean exactly? I'm surprised if you mean his age as he's two years younger than Roger Moore!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby DHP » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:38 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
DHP wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:DHP's thoughts are always worth listening to on this subject, it'll be interesting to see his 'Connery' list.


Thanks BN. I'd probably rate them as follows...

1) From Russia With Love
2) Goldfinger
3) Dr No
4) You Only Live Twice
5) Thunderball
6) Diamonds Are Forever

1-3 are classic spy thrillers, without many of the tongue-in-cheek trappings of some of Roger Moore's efforts which now rather unfairly seem to define Bond for many people, with Bond depending on his wits to survive and get the job done. FRWL tops it for me as Robert Shaw's Grant is possibly the best villain in the series for my money. 4 is much more of a fantasy film, 5 is very good indeed, but as BN has pointed out, drags a bit by today's standards compared to the first three. 6 is just very weak for me. Connery shouldn't have been playing Bond at this point, the villains are poor (including Blofeld) and the only thing worth the price of admission for me is Tiffany Case. Not only good eye candy, she's a genuinely interesting character too.


There's a theme here. We all seem to place FRWL near the very top of our lists and DAF near the bottom. It's an enjoyable enough romp though.

When you say Connery shouldn't have been playing Bond at that point, what do you mean exactly? I'm surprised if you mean his age as he's two years younger than Roger Moore!


I think that because On Her Majesty's Secret Service wasn't well-received initially, they brought Connery back and tried to give the audience what they thought they wanted. I agree, it's entertaining and it has its moments, and as a standalone film it's a good laugh. But compared to previous Bond films, it's more of a disappointment than any of the others for me. Whether or not Connery was too old, he was definitely out of shape and not as convincing as a cold assassin, or as someone completely irresistible to anything in a skirt. Rumour has it he was brought back by a huge pay packet, a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to initial feedback to Lazenby's effort I think.

He wasn't bad in it, and I don't think anything in the film was what you'd call awful. Just comparing it to previous entries, expectations for this one weren't really met.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
User avatar
DHP
 
Posts: 3102
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:42 am

DHP wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:DHP's thoughts are always worth listening to on this subject, it'll be interesting to see his 'Connery' list.


Thanks BN. I'd probably rate them as follows...

1) From Russia With Love
2) Goldfinger
3) Dr No
4) You Only Live Twice
5) Thunderball
6) Diamonds Are Forever


Snap on the list. I posted the exact same order. Great minds...
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2017. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.