Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Cricket Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The Cricket Thread

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 18, 2007 4:15 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Of course it is 'unconfirmed', so that's probably the old "sources say..." line that journalists trot out when they've got nothing much to write and they'd rather be in the pub than arsed to research anything while their deadline approaches.

You old cynic! :lol:

moi? :wink:

are you following the Test Match by the way?

Yeah, bloody slow going isn't it. Good centuries by Cook and Collingwood (who's been extremely fortunate to get past 30 thanks to some shite fielding) but we're at tea on the 2nd day and we haven't passed 400 yet. God know what the Aussies would be on by now. Already this looks like a draw to me, given the weather. Hopefully our bowling attack can do the business in double quick time.
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 4:17 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:are you following the Test Match by the way?

Yeah, bloody slow going isn't it. Good centuries by Cook and Collingwood (who's been extremely fortunate to get past 30 thanks to some shite fielding) but we're at tea on the 2nd day and we haven't passed 400 yet. God know what the Aussies would be on by now. Already this looks like a draw to me, given the weather. Hopefully our bowling attack can do the business in double quick time.

Game would be over by now if it was aussies against windies. They'd have declared for 600 at lunch today and bowled them out twice by now :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:are you following the Test Match by the way?

Game would be over by now if it was aussies against windies. They'd have declared for 600 at lunch today and bowled them out twice by now :lol:

Ha, you're probably right. I expect us to be all out by tomorrow lunchtime with about 550 in the bank, but we won't have enough time to bowl them out twice, and I expect we'd need to bat again too. That's highly unlikely given the weather forcast. I wonder what the bookies are offering for a draw right now.

The Windies have been prone to the odd collapse over the last few years so you never know.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 6:17 pm

Can't believe even Prior has been able to hit a century. Four batsmen have passed the hundred - The Windies must be absolutely terrible.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 18, 2007 6:21 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Can't believe even Prior has been able to hit a century. Four batsmen have passed the hundred - The Windies must be absolutely terrible.

:lol: I love that that's the conclusion you've jumped to, rather than England being great!

You're dead right of course. They've really picked up the pace since tea - it looks like my 550 all out prediction was way out.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 6:24 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Can't believe even Prior has been able to hit a century. Four batsmen have passed the hundred - The Windies must be absolutely terrible.

:lol: I love that that's the conclusion you've jumped to, rather than England being great!

You're dead right of course. They've really picked up the pace since tea - it looks like my 550 all out prediction was way out.

Well, i came up with a complex mathematical calculation based on the number of shit scores against Australia in comparison to this first innings against this rabble. There was only one conclusion really :)

Still it's nice to be looking better.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 18, 2007 6:31 pm

Hey MC, I split this topic from the footy, hope you don't mind!

Yeah, we can't moan about England at all really, they can only beat what's in front of them.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 6:46 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Hey MC, I split this topic from the footy, hope you don't mind!

Yeah, we can't moan about England at all really, they can only beat what's in front of them.

Good idea to split it. It was hijacking the footy.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Play's finished for the day now. Apparently that's the first time since 1938 that 4 batsmen have scored centuries in one innings for England. That's a scary stat; the Aussies probabaly do that at least once a series!

I reckon we'll bat the full morning session then maybe put them in about 5 overs before lunch to try and sneak an early wicket. Hopefully we'll have amassed 650+ by then, certainly a winning platform.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Play's finished for the day now. Apparently that's the first time since 1938 that 4 batsmen have scored centuries in one innings for England. That's a scary stat; the Aussies probabaly do that at least once a series!

I reckon we'll bat the full morning session then maybe put them in about 5 overs before lunch to try and sneak an early wicket. Hopefully we'll have amassed 650+ by then, certainly a winning platform.

It should be a winning position. I expect all our bowlers to have had a good kick up the arse, and will be out to show how good they actually can be when they apply themselves

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Prior has hit an unbeaten 126 from 128 balls :shock: i'm impressed.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby me123 » Fri May 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Go England's Cricketers! (Sorry I can't say anything more interesting; I can't watch much cricket now it's on Sky which I can't get because I'm on...

:twisted: VIRGIN MEDIA :twisted: )
me123

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 18, 2007 7:18 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Play's finished for the day now. Apparently that's the first time since 1938 that 4 batsmen have scored centuries in one innings for England. That's a scary stat; the Aussies probabaly do that at least once a series!

It should be a winning position. I expect all our bowlers to have had a good kick up the arse, and will be out to show how good they actually can be when they apply themselves

Harmison's done really well for Durham so far this season, he sounds like he's back to his best. Hoggard is probably our best all-round test bowler at the moment too. If those two don't get any joy tomorrow something's wrong!

It's a shame Jones isn't fit, and Freddie's a big miss of course (in the bowling department - his batting's shite these days!)
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Prior has hit an unbeaten 126 from 128 balls :shock: i'm impressed.

Me too - the highest score by an England wicket keeper on debut! The records keep tumbling! :lol:

I remember Jack Russel scoring a big, hefty hundred when he made his debut in '89. it must have been his record Proir's broken.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 7:22 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

Harmison's done really well for Durham so far this season, he sounds like he's back to his best. Hoggard is probably our best all-round test bowler at the moment too. If those two don't get any joy tomorrow something's wrong!

It's a shame Jones isn't fit, and Freddie's a big miss of course (in the bowling department - his batting's shite these days!)

We definitely missed Jones down under. I think we've got enough to take care of the Windies though. Luckily Mahmood isn't there - he needs to refine his bowling a little.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

We definitely missed Jones down under. I think we've got enough to take care of the Windies though. Luckily Mahmood isn't there - he needs to refine his bowling a little.

He's got great potential, but I agree.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 7:36 pm

Definite potential. He's just a little too wayward for the very top level at the moment. He should definitely get there though.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Rodge » Fri May 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Mmmmm! Not bad, not bad.

I do hear your comments above MC, but we also need to look at a team forced together due to injury. Maybe it's a bloody good thing that Vaughan and Flintoff are injured, they haven't been awe inspiring since the Ashes win. Hopefully this new blood may give the old blood a good kick up the arse and stop them from taking thier places for granted. Strauss should have been made Captain months ago IMHO.
If we could just get Jones & Hoggard fit then I feel the bowling could easily back up the batting display. I just hope it's not a one hit wonder.
I'm content - apart from the fact that I cannot watch my National Cricket team play on terrestrial TV :evil:
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Rob wrote:Mmmmm! Not bad, not bad.

I do hear your comments above MC, but we also need to look at a team forced together due to injury. Maybe it's a bloody good thing that Vaughan and Flintoff are injured, they haven't been awe inspiring since the Ashes win. Hopefully this new blood may give the old blood a good kick up the arse and stop them from taking thier places for granted. Strauss should have been made Captain months ago IMHO.
If we could just get Jones & Hoggard fit then I feel the bowling could easily back up the batting display. I just hope it's not a one hit wonder.
I'm content - apart from the fact that I cannot watch my National Cricket team play on terrestrial TV :evil:

You're right. Credit where credit's due for these first couple of days.

I can't believe Sky have the rights for the home Series now. And the govt feebly complains about children lacking interest in sports :roll:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Fri May 18, 2007 8:06 pm

me123 wrote:Go England's Cricketers! (Sorry I can't say anything more interesting; I can't watch much cricket now it's on Sky which I can't get because I'm on...

Huh? The Sky Sports channels are still available on VM, assuming you pay for them? The big bust-up was only over Sky One/Two and News
Wezzo

Postby me123 » Fri May 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Wezzo wrote:
me123 wrote:Go England's Cricketers! (Sorry I can't say anything more interesting; I can't watch much cricket now it's on Sky which I can't get because I'm on...

Huh? The Sky Sports channels are still available on VM, assuming you pay for them? The big bust-up was only over Sky One/Two and News

Are they? Well, I haven't bought them anyway. VM when they took over managed to crash my internet and my TV in a week, so they're not getting even more money off us.
me123

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat May 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Their Virgin Media help desk has been quite helpful in helping me to set up the broadband service for my parents. They sorted out a Vista based problem just fine. Quick to get through to, also. And they actually called back with a follow up check, like they said they would. Not at all like i remember from having to deal with NTL in the past.

Anyway England declared overnight as expected and have a breakthrough this morning.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Rodge » Sat May 19, 2007 12:47 pm

1 down - 19 to go!! :shock:
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat May 19, 2007 1:25 pm

And another one bites the dust! :lol:
Rodge

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat May 19, 2007 1:34 pm