Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Cricket Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Cricket Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:12 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I think it's too easy to hammer the team now they're losing. There was a picture of Pietersen throwing up by the wicket yesterday. These are highly alien conditions to our cricketers and even the best teams in history have faltered here. why should we be any different?

As long as we hold our own in the tests I'll be happy. I'll take a drawn series right now.

Yes, India well out of their comfort zone for conditions in the UK = get hammered by us. England well out of our comfort zone for playing conditions = surprise surprise, India look like a different team and we look out of our depth.

I'd like to think we're doing this the right way in playing these meaningless games early to help in getting acclimatised for the serious work of the Test Matches.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:36 am

You'd think that even the stupid cricket administrators will realise there's too much cricket being played when even Indian stadiums are only half filled.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:You'd think that even the stupid cricket administrators will realise there's too much cricket being played when even Indian stadiums are only half filled.

I think that stadium held over 100k, so not even that.

Glad that little contest is over; we're just not savvy enough in the 50-over game especially against the world's best on their home turf. Hope some lessons have been learnt, by cricket's administrators as well as the players.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:06 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Glad that little contest is over; we're just not savvy enough in the 50-over game especially against the world's best on their home turf. Hope some lessons have been learnt, by cricket's administrators as well as the players.

The only good thing about those games is that a bunch of young players have been given the experience of playing in those truly alien conditions. Can only improve your game to be given a lesson like that.

I forgot to mention this a few weeks back, but what did you think of our friendly neighbourhood spin bowler releasing his autobiography recently - criticising a bunch of current team mates in the process :? Not sure why that wasn't best left until retirement. Did you hear Darren Gough slating him for a number of apparently inaccurate version of events?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I forgot to mention this a few weeks back, but what did you think of our friendly neighbourhood spin bowler releasing his autobiography recently - criticising a bunch of current team mates in the process :? Not sure why that wasn't best left until retirement. Did you hear Darren Gough slating him for a number of apparently inaccurate version of events?

It's unfortunate but I think players' agents pressure them to put this stuff out while still playing as their stock is much higher than when they've retired. Be nice if some rules were brought in regarding this for all sports but then you'd get into a 'free speech' legal minefield. I didn't hear Goughy's reaction to this - I bet he wasn't too happy.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:04 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I forgot to mention this a few weeks back, but what did you think of our friendly neighbourhood spin bowler releasing his autobiography recently - criticising a bunch of current team mates in the process :? Not sure why that wasn't best left until retirement. Did you hear Darren Gough slating him for a number of apparently inaccurate version of events?

It's unfortunate but I think players' agents pressure them to put this stuff out while still playing as their stock is much higher than when they've retired. Be nice if some rules were brought in regarding this for all sports but then you'd get into a 'free speech' legal minefield. I didn't hear Goughy's reaction to this - I bet he wasn't too happy.

He wasn't getting all ranty about it, but he was dismissively rubbishing some of the stories and was giving his version of events that were corroborated by other players. So, he was effectively asking what else was bollocks if there were several stories about himself that he knew were crap. He wasn't that bothered at the stories about himself, but he did question the effect of criticising a bunch of players Swann is still playing and touring with.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:08 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

He wasn't getting all ranty about it, but he was dismissively rubbishing some of the stories and was giving his version of events that were corroborated by other players. So, he was effectively asking what else was bollocks if there were several stories about himself that he knew were crap. He wasn't that bothered at the stories about himself, but he did question the effect of criticising a bunch of players Swann is still playing and touring with.

Perhaps we've seen the effects already...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:26 pm

I see Butt and Asif have finally been found guilty of the match fixing charges. Probably not that unexpected from the things reported, but i wonder if it will lead to further revelations involving other players?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:55 am

Surprised they took a year to reach that conclusion. I suspect you're right and we'll see more revelations over the coming weeks/months.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:28 am

Sky Sports news are jizzing themselves over it this morning - although, to be fair, the all-round media scrum at the court is unbelievably ridiculous.

The Sky Sports News reporter asked one of them, as they turned up for sentencing this morning: "Do you think you should go to jail for what you've done?" The height of journalistic probing there :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:33 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Sky Sports news are jizzing themselves over it this morning - although, to be fair, the all-round media scrum at the court is unbelievably ridiculous.

The Sky Sports News reporter asked one of them, as they turned up for sentencing this morning: "Do you think you should go to jail for what you've done?" The height of journalistic probing there :lol:

:lol:

I'm glad some severe action has been taken here but I can remember plenty of similar incidents of spot fixing in football matches in the past that went completely unpunished. Bookmakers had to stop offering bets on the first throw in because players were so bent. I remember Vinnie Jones booting it out straight from the kick off when he was at Wimbledon and Matt Le Tissier admits he did similar things in his career at Southampton. I reckon it's probably always been rife.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:38 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I'm glad some severe action has been taken here but I can remember plenty of similar incidents of spot fixing in football matches in the past that went completely unpunished. Bookmakers had to stop offering bets on the first throw in because players were so bent. I remember Vinnie Jones booting it out straight from the kick off when he was at Wimbledon and Matt Le Tissier admits he did similar things in his career at Southampton. I reckon it's probably always been rife.

Got more than i expected actually. I wonder if Pakistan will ask if they can be repatriated to serve out the sentence over there - and then suddenly release them after a few weeks following a quick appeal? The cricketers at least - i doubt the agent's got any chance of being helped.

I remember all those things in football a few years ago. I remember Le Tissier and others openly admitting to it.

They aren't going to be the only ones involved, and cricket's not going to be the only sport where it's currently happening. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a number of high profile sporting events have been affected even without much public notice. I expect some investigative body has a list of events that have flagged up irregular betting patterns and unusual in-game occurrences.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:45 pm

This South Africa vs Australia test match is a bit mad :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby 5HR1NK » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:27 pm

There's bewilderment where my anger should be. This is way too amusing to watch.
The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it.
5HR1NK

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:47 pm

5HR1NK wrote:There's bewilderment where my anger should be. This is way too amusing to watch.

A painful demise there. Mind, i still thought the lead from the first innings would be enough to see Australia through, but SA are finally got their shit together so far. SA maybe just edging it now, but a couple of quick wickets in the morning could flip it again.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:51 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
5HR1NK wrote:There's bewilderment where my anger should be. This is way too amusing to watch.

A painful demise there. Mind, i still thought the lead from the first innings would be enough to see Australia through, but SA are finally got their shit together so far. SA maybe just edging it now, but a couple of quick wickets in the morning could flip it again.

Oh, how I wish the Aussies had completely capitulated at 21-9 when TalkSport joined the action yesterday :D At first I assumed it was a T20 match; when I realised they were talking about a Test I was dreaming of a record that would stand forever :lol:

Sadly they dug it out, as they usually do. The pitch obviously has snakes in it so I wouldn't guarantee an SA victory today, although they've started well moving on to 109-1.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:52 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Oh, how I wish the Aussies had completely capitulated at 21-9 when TalkSport joined the action yesterday :D At first I assumed it was a T20 match; when I realised they were talking about a Test I was dreaming of a record that would stand forever :lol:

Sadly they dug it out, as they usually do. The pitch obviously has snakes in it so I wouldn't guarantee an SA victory today, although they've started well moving on to 109-1.

Surprisingly comfortable victory for the Saffers this morning. I guess it highlights once again how much the demons in a pitch can be as much in the head as opposed to unplayable conditions.

I couldn't believe it when i switched on H&J yesterday afternoon to hear Andy saying Australia were 18-5. I'd seen some of the day one highlights where Australia were 218-8, and i was confused to hear the current Australia score - thinking i'd lost a couple of days play somewhere :lol: I had no clue Australia had finished off their innings, skittled SA for 96 before moving on to this nightmare innings.

Aggravatingly, they even managed to beat the lowest score i've seen England skittled out for - by a single run.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Surprisingly comfortable victory for the Saffers this morning. I guess it highlights once again how much the demons in a pitch can be as much in the head as opposed to unplayable conditions.

I couldn't believe it when i switched on H&J yesterday afternoon to hear Andy saying Australia were 18-5. I'd seen some of the day one highlights where Australia were 218-8, and i was confused to hear the current Australia score - thinking i'd lost a couple of days play somewhere :lol: I had no clue Australia had finished off their innings, skittled SA for 96 before moving on to this nightmare innings.

Aggravatingly, they even managed to beat the lowest score i've seen England skittled out for - by a single run.

Yeah, Smith and Amla made it look easy this morning didn't they?

You're probably thinking of the same Test I am - the nightmare Caribbean tour of '94 when Ambrose (in particular) and Walsh skittled us out for 46. They did damage to plenty of teams in the '90s - none more than us.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Surprisingly comfortable victory for the Saffers this morning. I guess it highlights once again how much the demons in a pitch can be as much in the head as opposed to unplayable conditions.

Yeah, Smith and Amla made it look easy this morning didn't they?

You're probably thinking of the same Test I am - the nightmare Caribbean tour of '94 when Ambrose (in particular) and Walsh skittled us out for 46. They did damage to plenty of teams in the '90s - none more than us.

Yup, that's the one. Mind, it's still only a couple of years since we had that shambles against the Windies for 51. I'm certain we'll always be able to do it better and more often than the Aussies. :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Yup, that's the one. Mind, it's still only a couple of years since we had that shambles against the Windies for 51. I'm certain we'll always be able to do it better and more often than the Aussies. :lol:

It's a universal law I believe.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:54 am

Good to see Cook and Trott back amongst the runs again in the final warm up match the other day. Looking forward to the first test on Tuesday now, even though there'll be more atmosphere on the surface on the moon than there'll be in Dubai...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Yes, it's a strange old series coming up. Feels a bit difficult to get revved up for it with it being stuck in the UAE, on top of no tv coverage outside of Sky (don't even know if Channel5 have any highlights package agreed).

Have you been following India's crushing in Australia? Difficult to gauge how improved Australia are, with India again not bothereing to turn up away from home. Gives a little more perspective on our trouncing of them last year. They're well and truly beyond 'past their best' now. I can't see how they can stick with these 'top' players who obviously can't be arsed any longer.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Yes, it's a strange old series coming up. Feels a bit difficult to get revved up for it with it being stuck in the UAE, on top of no tv coverage outside of Sky (don't even know if Channel5 have any highlights package agreed).

Have you been following India's crushing in Australia? Difficult to gauge how improved Australia are, with India again not bothereing to turn up away from home. Gives a little more perspective on our trouncing of them last year. They're well and truly beyond 'past their best' now. I can't see how they can stick with these 'top' players who obviously can't be arsed any longer.

Yeah I've been following those results. To be honest it makes me slightly depressed thinking about the future of Test cricket if one of its superpowers can't be bothered with the format anymore. There hasn't exactly been a public outcry over there either, from what I can gather. As long as they remain competetive in the shorter formats I don't think there'll be any great clamour for change.

Difficult to tell how improved the Aussies are too as you say. Seems ages until the next Ashes series - we won't really know until then.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby tubalcain » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:22 pm

They've been talking about the death of Test cricket for a long time now. I guess in another decade we will know the truth of the current hiatus..
I find it totally depressing and without due call. Hmm..
tubalcain

Postby tenpercenter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:49 pm

i think india are hanging on to too much dead wood

having said that, i just dont think people care as much about test cricket as england australia and south africa

its really just those 3 nations who still think it matters
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion