Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Formula 1 Season

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Formula 1 Season

Postby kat » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Dad told me when I got in from work, I didn't belive him til I saw it on the BBC, and even worse for the coverage Martin Brundle is out of contract at the end of the year and I don't think he'll resign for half the races and edited highlights especially bad timing as it was released today that the BBC had a 47.9% audience share for the 4race on Sunday
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Brian R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:17 pm

No doubt Bernie's made hinself a fortune out of the new deal with Sky. I suppose he's got to fund his spoilt little brat's latest purchase somehow!
“Failure is never quite so frightening as regret.” Cliff Buxton - The Dish (2000)
Brian R

Postby kat » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Brian R wrote:No doubt Bernie's made hinself a fortune out of the new deal with Sky. I suppose he's got to fund his spoilt little brat's latest purchase somehow!

he's just pricing fans out of the sport after doing it with the tickets he's started on the coverage, wo4st thing is I'm going to miss a definite BBC race by being at Silverstone, more than worth it though
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:27 pm

I'll never purchase a Sky Sports subscription, so i'll have to make do with ways around it.

Be interesting to see how this works in terms of the sponsorship deals teams have in place. Surely those deals are based on the numbers able to tune in and watch the races to their brands plastered all over the cars and drivers? That's going to be significantly reduced figures on Sky only races.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I'll never purchase a Sky Sports subscription, so i'll have to make do with ways around it.

Be interesting to see how this works in terms of the sponsorship deals teams have in place. Surely those deals are based on the numbers able to tune in and watch the races to their brands plastered all over the cars and drivers? That's going to be significantly reduced figures on Sky only races.

someone worked it out a maximum of 1.3m viewers compared to at least 6m the BBC are getting
kat

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:32 pm

kat wrote:someone worked it out a maximum of 1.3m viewers compared to at least 6m the BBC are getting

That 6m figure is only for the British Grand Prix though isn't it? I thought the average viewership was around 3m.

Either way the BBC shouldn't be bidding for these kind of high-end sporting events - leave it to Sky/ITV/C4/C5 to battle it out for the rights. The Beeb's involvement just drives up the price of these things.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Fair enough i suppose, but i've enjoyed the BBC coverage. I didn't care for the ITV run, and i'd stopped watching any live races for a few years. I guess Bernie's not going to care if i stopped watching again.

It's a tricky line for what sport the BBC should and shouldn't bother bidding for. I'd hate to see no sport at all on there. I can't watch everything on online streaming sites :lol: (ok, only because speeds for quality streaming still aren't really good enough in this country).

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Mad old race today. We need more races in those types of conditions. Very nice win for Button, but it's a pity Vettel's still increased his overall lead. After three seasons of tight finishes to the championship it's all continuing to be very comfortable for Vettel this year.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:10 pm

Feels like an age since the last race. looking forward to Spa. Usually a decent track.

Did anyone watch Grand Prix: The Killer Years about the history of safety in the sport? Some pretty brutal, traumatic, footage on show there :shock:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Decent race. Funny old weekend for Hamilton. Great race by Schumacherto get 5th from a last place start.

And after all that action, Vettel extended his lead. The battle for second place is hotting up anyway :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:36 am

Funny old Monza race in the end. Vettel was so far ahead, but the battles behind made for a good watch. Feel a bit sorry for Hamilton though. No wonder he feels a little victimised at times by the guys who hand out penalties. Schumacher got away with murder in his blocking tactics. I get the feeling that if it had been, say, Hamilton blocking Vettel, they would have given him a drive through penalty quick sharp. I don't recall Mclaren simply being given the opportunity to have their team boss relay a vague warning message to their driver earlier in the season when Hamilton was penalised for an alleged double blocking move on Alonso.

Good drive by Button to get second. Also some tidy finishes from Alguersuari, Di Resta and Senna.

Wasn't too impressed with the booing of both Vettel and Button on the podium for having the audacity to finish ahead of Alonso's Ferrari.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby tenpercenter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:59 pm

have u seen senna?
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby kat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 am

tenpercenter wrote:have u seen senna?

yeah, best film I've seen in years, and it's out on DVD on Monday :D also good news this morning Jenson has signed a "multi-year" deal at McLaren so as usual that's the Ferrari rumours out of the window although Hamilton and Vettel's contacts are up, and then Massa's is up at the end of next year going to be a fun couple of silly seasons
kat

Postby kat » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:38 am

well done to Seb but what a race from Jenson screaming a little too much for 8.38am
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Disappointing looking crowd at the Korean grand prix. Looked like loads of half filled or fully empty stands scattered around the track. Can't believe sell out European venues have been dropped to make way for stuff like this.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Disappointing looking crowd at the Korean grand prix. Looked like loads of half filled or fully empty stands scattered around the track. Can't believe sell out European venues have been dropped to make way for stuff like this.

2 words, Bernie and Money, not only that the race was incredibly dull there were a few battles but I wish I hadn't bothered to get up for it. Red Bull are deserving Constructors champions though, they have had the best car all year and there was an interesting bit on the forum with someone from McLaren (Tim Goss I think) talking about the differences between the cars, there is more than the appearances would lead you to belive
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 pm

kat wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Disappointing looking crowd at the Korean grand prix. Looked like loads of half filled or fully empty stands scattered around the track. Can't believe sell out European venues have been dropped to make way for stuff like this.

2 words, Bernie and Money, not only that the race was incredibly dull there were a few battles but I wish I hadn't bothered to get up for it. Red Bull are deserving Constructors champions though, they have had the best car all year and there was an interesting bit on the forum with someone from McLaren (Tim Goss I think) talking about the differences between the cars, there is more than the appearances would lead you to belive

I didn't catch the forum after the race this morning. It was a bit of a procession unfortunately. Had potential to be a more thrilling race between the bunched up big four behind Vettel, but never really materialised. A bit of a tidy tussle between Hamilton and Webber for a while but that was it really. I know it's had no racing time at all so far, but i'm not a fan of that track.

Good solid race for Hamilton and a great one for Alguersuari, anyway.

Have to say, as we reach the closing stages of the season, that i've not been a fan of the Pirelli tyre games this year. I like cars to be pushing their capacity to the limit as much as possible, rather than driving well within their means to conserve tyres. Qualifying and racing has been a little disappointing in the tactics needed.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
kat wrote:

I didn't catch the forum after the race this morning. It was a bit of a procession unfortunately. Had potential to be a more thrilling race between the bunched up big four behind Vettel, but never really materialised. A bit of a tidy tussle between Hamilton and Webber for a while but that was it really. I know it's had no racing time at all so far, but i'm not a fan of that track.

Good solid race for Hamilton and a great one for Alguersuari, anyway.

Have to say, as we reach the closing stages of the season, that i've not been a fan of the Pirelli tyre games this year. I like cars to be pushing their capacity to the limit as much as possible, rather than driving well within their means to conserve tyres. Qualifying and racing has been a little disappointing in the tactics needed.

the forum wasn't as good as last week and much more interesting than the race, personally I would love to see the return of the qualifying tyre if only to encourage the midfield drivers who make it in to the top 10 to set a time, in other news very happy that Heikki Kovalinen and Lotus managed to beat the Saubers on merit I have always felt that they were the most serious, well maybe that's not the right word, determined maybe as their main aim at the moment is to be up with the midfield teams
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:53 pm

kat wrote:the forum wasn't as good as last week and much more interesting than the race, personally I would love to see the return of the qualifying tyre if only to encourage the midfield drivers who make it in to the top 10 to set a time, in other news very happy that Heikki Kovalinen and Lotus managed to beat the Saubers on merit I have always felt that they were the most serious, well maybe that's not the right word, determined maybe as their main aim at the moment is to be up with the midfield teams

Agreed. He's worked hard for the team this year. He deserves a more competitive car.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 pm

looks like Austin not happening next year, which is a shame as the track looked interesting, especially the incline to the first corner

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15766613.stm
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 pm

kat wrote:looks like Austin not happening next year, which is a shame as the track looked interesting, especially the incline to the first corner

It is a pity. Ecclestone's a slippery old bugger. I wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
kat wrote:looks like Austin not happening next year, which is a shame as the track looked interesting, especially the incline to the first corner

It is a pity. Ecclestone's a slippery old bugger. I wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him.

the sooner we are rid of him the better
kat

Postby kat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:33 pm

the BBC races for next year, China, Spain, Monaco, Europe, Britain, Belgium, Singapore, Korea, Abu Dhabi and Brazil, so we have the pleasure of the 2 most boring races of the year in Valencia and Korea, oh well at least they are atill doing the forum so we will have something to look forward to, and 2 hour highlights, it's not as bad as I feared, but it won't be the same :(
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:05 pm

kat wrote:the BBC races for next year, China, Spain, Monaco, Europe, Britain, Belgium, Singapore, Korea, Abu Dhabi and Brazil, so we have the pleasure of the 2 most boring races of the year in Valencia and Korea, oh well at least they are atill doing the forum so we will have something to look forward to, and 2 hour highlights, it's not as bad as I feared, but it won't be the same :(

To be honest, Monaco might be seen as the glamour race, but i generally find it pretty boring, too. It was only slightly more exciting this year because Hamilton tried his best to barge his way though on a track that offers no realistic competitive overtaking whatsoever.

I expect the many online sports streamers will start adding all the races. I certainly won't be taking up Sky Sports.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:23 pm

yeah, and Valencia was slighlty more interesting for me cos I spent most of the race scanning the grandstands for my mate
kat

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion