Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Formula 1 Season

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Formula 1 Season

Postby kat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
kat wrote:the BBC races for next year, China, Spain, Monaco, Europe, Britain, Belgium, Singapore, Korea, Abu Dhabi and Brazil, so we have the pleasure of the 2 most boring races of the year in Valencia and Korea, oh well at least they are atill doing the forum so we will have something to look forward to, and 2 hour highlights, it's not as bad as I feared, but it won't be the same :(

To be honest, Monaco might be seen as the glamour race, but i generally find it pretty boring, too. It was only slightly more exciting this year because Hamilton tried his best to barge his way though on a track that offers no realistic competitive overtaking whatsoever.

I expect the many online sports streamers will start adding all the races. I certainly won't be taking Sky Sports

you won't need to it's in with the Sky HD package, have to admit I'm tempted, if my dad and brother put in the money, works out at £10 a month for me, only problem is I don't want to give money to Rupert Murdoch out of principal and will be watching 9 (I'm going to Silverstone as usual) of the races on the BBC, but I will watch the BBC highlights anyway, love their coverage, and as Lynda pointed out get to laugh at Lee and Seb flirting so makes me smile ;) :lol:
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:58 pm

kat wrote:you won't need to it's in with the Sky HD package, have to admit I'm tempted, if my dad and brother put in the money, works out at £10 a month for me, only problem is I don't want to give money to Rupert Murdoch out of principal and will be watching 9 (I'm going to Silverstone as usual) of the races on the BBC, but I will watch the BBC highlights anyway, love their coverage, and as Lynda pointed out get to laugh at Lee and Seb flirting so makes me smile ;) :lol:

So the new F1 channel is going to be available to general HD subscribers outside of having a sports subscription? If so, then i obviously will watch any of the non-BBC races on there.

I am curious to see how they'll 'better' the current live BBC coverage. It's a far cry from giving football coverage a makeover in the early 90s. Between all the dedicated BBC coverage of free practice, qualifying and the actual race on standard television, interactive television and through the website - there's not much else i can think of that needs to be added.

Is it true that Brundle has already shifted to Sky? I assume that's why he wasn't in MK last week?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:36 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I expect the many online sports streamers will start adding all the races. I certainly won't be taking up Sky Sports.

Sorry, I know this is taking the thread O/T, but I've been amazed at some of the quality of streaming sites since I left Sky a couple of months back. I actually prefer doing what I do now as there is no difference between the Sky Go quality on my laptop and the streaming sites I access, with the added advantage that I get to see football games at 3pm on a Saturday. I wouldn't go back now, even if money was no object.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby kat » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:38 am

yeah, he's gone as have David Croft, Ant Davidson, Ted Kravitz and Natalie Pinkham, so the entire 5 live team, rumoured to replace them are drumroll please James Allen and Johnathan Legard, the 2 worst F1 commentators ever
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:07 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I expect the many online sports streamers will start adding all the races. I certainly won't be taking up Sky Sports.

Sorry, I know this is taking the thread O/T, but I've been amazed at some of the quality of streaming sites since I left Sky a couple of months back. I actually prefer doing what I do now as there is no difference between the Sky Go quality on my laptop and the streaming sites I access, with the added advantage that I get to see football games at 3pm on a Saturday. I wouldn't go back now, even if money was no object.

I know. And to take it even more off topic the ITV streaming player is terrrrrrrrible. I'd rather watch anything on the average streaming website than ITV's own offering when i'm not able to see it on the tv. Never used the Sky one for comparison.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:12 am

kat wrote:yeah, he's gone as have David Croft, Ant Davidson, Ted Kravitz and Natalie Pinkham, so the entire 5 live team, rumoured to replace them are drumroll please James Allen and Johnathan Legard, the 2 worst F1 commentators ever

I've never actually listened to any of the radio coverage so that's probably not going to change much, although i know they also do portions of the tv stuff. I know Coulthard has said he's going to honour the final year of his contract with the BBC, but i wonder if he'll go after that?

Mind, if Sky don't bulk up with the couple of hundred thousand brand new high end subscribers they need to cover this deal then it could all end up shot to bits. I'm sure they'll probably manage to get the subscribers they need, but it's not the strongest of economic times to need that new income stream.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I know. And to take it even more off topic the ITV streaming player is terrrrrrrrible. I'd rather watch anything on the average streaming website than ITV's own offering when i'm not able to see it on the tv. Never used the Sky one for comparison.

ITV player's shite. Sky Go was similar quality to the Beeb's iPlayer - not bad but but couldn't watch anything entirely glitch-free. Sky have more of an excuse with live streaming but the iPlayer's streamed directly off servers that obviously don't have a big enough load capacity.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:28 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I know. And to take it even more off topic the ITV streaming player is terrrrrrrrible. I'd rather watch anything on the average streaming website than ITV's own offering when i'm not able to see it on the tv. Never used the Sky one for comparison.

ITV player's shite. Sky Go was similar quality to the Beeb's iPlayer - not bad but but couldn't watch anything entirely glitch-free. Sky have more of an excuse with live streaming but the iPlayer's streamed directly off servers that obviously don't have a big enough load capacity.

I've never had any problem with steaming stuff through iPlayer, considering i live in an area with a comparatively appalling broadband. I'd expect the iPlayer gets tenfold the hammer of any other streaming service in the UK. Sky's online services are another turn-off for me. Seems you need to take out a Sky Broadband service to be able to access much of their on demand catalogue. Ain't ever going to happen from me. If we had a cabled up estate i'd more than likely take the Virgin Tivo route.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Fantastic qualifying session to kick off the new season. Drivers were all over the place.

Ferrari looked terrible! And what a qualifying session by Grosjean to grab third.

Sky coverage is a bit mediocre so far. I guess they're new to it and it shows - not at all slick. Not sure about their main presenter, so far, but it's early days.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:24 am

Good win for Button this morning. Pleased the McLarens look so dominant - I'm much more interested in F1 when there's a Brit up there challenging.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:35 pm

Decent race. I thought McLaren were going to throw it away when they delayed their first pitstop so much. Luckily for Button it was still ok - but they properly hampered Hamilton. And I couldn't believe it when the safety car conspired to bring Vettel right back into the race.

I was also surprised not to see any talk of investigating Maldonardo when he forced Grosjean off the track.

Decent start to the season anyway.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Decent race in China today. Rosberg was well clear up front, but lots of people competing between 2nd and about 14th/15th. Plenty of overtakes and side by side racing. Good sign for the season that nobody is particularly head and shoulders above the others in the tech stakes. Not really sure about the Mercedes setup, even though it's been deemed legal, but at least it's made them mega competitive and a genuine contender this season.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Not all that impressed with F1 deciding to go ahead with the race in Bahrain. I wish one/some of the teams had decided for themselves to pull out and tell Bernie to shove any subsequent fine up his arse.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Not all that impressed with F1 deciding to go ahead with the race in Bahrain. I wish one/some of the teams had decided for themselves to pull out and tell Bernie to shove any subsequent fine up his arse.

I know. Force India have had a bit of bother haven't they? Bernie's all about the money - he's not going to do the moral thing without having his hand forced.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Not all that impressed with F1 deciding to go ahead with the race in Bahrain. I wish one/some of the teams had decided for themselves to pull out and tell Bernie to shove any subsequent fine up his arse.

I know. Force India have had a bit of bother haven't they? Bernie's all about the money - he's not going to do the moral thing without having his hand forced.

Probably hypocritical given my views but I'll still end up watching the race. I don't expect anything bad to happen but as there doesn't appear to have been any improvement in Bahrain since they decided it wasn't worth racing there last year, i don't see what makes it ok this time around.

I also thought Bernie, and Jackie Stewart, were a bit flippant regarding Force India's stance today. It's alright for them to say there's nothing to worry about and show bewilderment at the Force India team's actions. I have to think Stewart would be slightly more worried about his wife and kids wandering around had it been they, rather than a bunch of the Force India technicians, caught up in yesterday's incident. It just felt a bit like telling an assault victim that it's irrational to not want to wander around outside after dark.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:38 pm

really enjoying the season so far,[rant] my biggest criticism is the Sky team, more specifically the people Sky have brought in, Simon Lazenby is not that interesting as Georgie Thompson serves no purpose other than making Ant Davidson look taller and be eye candy [rant over] looking forward to the start of the European season hope the midfield can remain as competitive as ever, so glad to see Williams be competive again, I don't like to see great names slide so far down the rankings
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:37 pm

kat wrote:really enjoying the season so far,[rant] my biggest criticism is the Sky team, more specifically the people Sky have brought in, Simon Lazenby is not that interesting as Georgie Thompson serves no purpose other than making Ant Davidson look taller and be eye candy [rant over] looking forward to the start of the European season hope the midfield can remain as competitive as ever, so glad to see Williams be competive again, I don't like to see great names slide so far down the rankings

Absolutely fantastic season so far. Hope it can remain this open and competitive.

I'm not a fan of Lazenby. He seems to suffer from a little too much verbal diarrhea, with a peculiar need to fill any available gap with his voice - no matter what bollocks fills his head to spew. Certainly shows up what a decent front man Jake is for the BBC coverage. At least the 'in-race' Sky team are decent enough, seeing as they're effectively the old Beeb bunch.

Great to have Raikkonen back in the mix. Too good a driver not to be involved in the sport. Hell of a driver line up this year.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:39 pm

was impressed with the Lotuses today, Grosjean has really grown as a driver in his break from the sport
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Yep, Lotus are looking like capable challengers this season.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:29 am

kat wrote:was impressed with the Lotuses today, Grosjean has really grown as a driver in his break from the sport

I rather enjoyed the last few races even more so now it seems a little more wide open from a former hater of F1 it makes it much more watchable . Shame about Button thou .
woggle

Postby kat » Sat May 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Last edited by kat on Sat May 12, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat May 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Pity about that for Maclaren. Still, he'll probably still finish ahead of Button judging by the way he's been driving all weekend.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Sat May 12, 2012 9:01 pm

I think Kimi may be challenging they have been there or thereabouts all weekend
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat May 12, 2012 9:07 pm

I'd definitely expect him to be up there. Kimi's underperformed a little in the actual races, but i'd put that down to him getting used to it all again. He's too good a driver to not make full use of decent looking car.

Interesting to see the Williams doing ok too. I'm sure Senna would have been up there had he not spun out trying to chase those soft compound lap times in Q1.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Sat May 12, 2012 9:11 pm

I know that (if there is something after we leave this existence, don't want to get into that) then my dad is in a brilliant mood somewhere, as am I it's nice to see a legendary name back on form
kat

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion