Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Thing You Bought

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The Last Thing You Bought

Postby Nervosa » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:10 am

This is aimed at items such as CDs/clothing/books/games etc... rather than food products such as a white loaf and a pint of milk.

Today I bought...

- a nice red wine coloured shirt from River Island.

Then I hit HMV, but didn't buy DVDs. Instead I bought four books:

- Muhammad Ali (biography)
- 102 Minutes (about people inside the Towers on 9/11)
- Donnie Brasco (having enjoyed the film so much)
- The Making Of Raging Bull
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Re: The Last Thing You Bought

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:15 am

Nervosa wrote:a nice red wine coloured shirt from River Island.

That's a beautiful name, like River Phoenix! In fact, that's who it reminds me of. Now every time that store is mentioned, I'll think of the good Mr Phoenix.

The last thing I bought was the two DVDs, Dead Poets Society and Running On Empty - both great additions to my DVD collection, might I add.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:17 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:The last thing I bought was the two DVDs, Dead Poets Society and Running On Empty - both great additions to my DVD collection, might I add.

That reminds me, this is also supposed to be a different thread to the "Last DVD You Bought" thread :lol: But I'm glad you like your purchases, BGF.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:30 am

Nervosa wrote:That reminds me, this is also supposed to be a different thread to the "Last DVD You Bought" thread :lol:

Well, they were the last things I bought.

Do try to check out the Phoenix boy sometime, though.

Another recent purchase was the book Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce. I haven't started reading it yet (I'm reading one of the astral projection books I got for Christmas; Journeys Out of the Body by Robert Monroe) but it looks interesting. Robert Bruce himself can be found on this website:

http://www.astraldynamics.com

Also, I'm thinking of spending a bit more money in the future - I saw the DVD River Wild in Music Zone, and it looks interesting - should I spend any money on it? I don't know much about it, but the story sounds interesting.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:25 pm

I last bought £5 top-up for my phone and a chocolate egg.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby me123 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:53 pm

Chocolate :P LOTS of chocolate :D
me123

Postby Wezzo » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:15 pm

Web User and Computeractive magazines, and a cheese twist. All from Tesco.
Wezzo

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:11 pm

I bought the book The Killing Joke by Anthony Horowitz.

It sounds pretty interesting. Here's the blurb on the back:

"When Guy Fletcher protests at a sick joke he overhears in a pub he finds himself headbutted and struck by an idea in quick succession. Is it possible to trace a joke all the way back to its original source?

Guy's quest takes him across the UK, from a humourless Hungarian dentist to a group of giggling grave-diggers, from a hypractive troupe of boy scouts to half a dozen undercover detectives. And along the way some pretty odd things are happening. Guy is sure he's being followed by an Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman. He has an unfortunate accident on a banana skin. There's a fly in his soup, an army of nuns on his train - and an exploding house in Cambridge...Guy is on the verge of discovering something very unpleasant. Making jokes is no laughing matter."

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:13 pm

I've got that book BGF - but I haven't read it. :D
Cake for Brains

Postby Nervosa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:13 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I bought the book The Killing Joke by Anthony Horowitz.

It sounds pretty interesting. Here's the blurb on the back:

"When Guy Fletcher protests at a sick joke he overhears in a pub he finds himself headbutted and struck by an idea in quick succession. Is it possible to trace a joke all the way back to its original source?

Guy's quest takes him across the UK, from a humourless Hungarian dentist to a group of giggling grave-diggers, from a hypractive troupe of boy scouts to half a dozen undercover detectives. And along the way some pretty odd things are happening. Guy is sure he's being followed by an Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman. He has an unfortunate accident on a banana skin. There's a fly in his soup, an army of nuns on his train - and an exploding house in Cambridge...Guy is on the verge of discovering something very unpleasant. Making jokes is no laughing matter."

Sounds right up your street!
Nervosa

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:16 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I've got that book BGF - but I haven't read it. :D

I've been looking through it and reading bits and pieces - it's pretty interesting and funny.

Do you like Anthony Horowitz's other books, Cakey? I like the Alex Rider series, and I also like his books about the Diamond Brothers - have you read them? I read when when I was about 10/11 years old and loved them. I haven't read them in ages, but I might revisit them sometime. They're aimed at the 9-12 bracket, but they were pretty funny.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:20 pm

Do you like Anthony Horowitz's other books, Cakey? I like the Alex Rider series, and I also like his books about the Diamond Brothers - have you read them? I read when when I was about 10/11 years old and loved them. I haven't read them in ages, but I might revisit them sometime. They're aimed at the 9-12 bracket, but they were pretty funny.

When I was younger, he was one of my favourite author's - he's written some great children's books.

I've read five out of the six Alex Rider books (Stormbreaker, Point Blanc, Skeleton Key, Eagle Strike ad Scorpia) and they were fantastic. They were the kind of books that were so exciting that you'd take them to read on holiday and end up spending the entire trip with your nose in them. I still prefer Harry Potter, but this series was great. They made the first book into film last summer I hear, but I never got around to watching it.

I also read 'The Switch', 'Grosham Grange' and 'Granny' by him as well. 'The Killing Joke' is his only novel for adults though.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:23 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:They made the first book into film last summer I hear, but I never got around to watching it.

I saw it. It was quite good, but I prefer the book overall. They also included elements from later books - Sabina Pleasure was a character, even though she's not introduced until the third book.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:03 pm

I have just bought 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress' by Belle and Sebastian from Play.com for £6.99.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Nervosa » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:21 am

Got a new coat (navy, suade) and some new DVDs today.
Nervosa

Postby Wezzo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:48 am

I pre-ordered the new Barenaked Ladies album, "Barenaked Ladies Are Men".
Wezzo

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:06 am

Last brought two second hand books:

Captain Corelli's Mandolin
A Tale of Two Cities

Only 20p each!
Cake for Brains

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:08 am

Why can't I find books that cheap?

I hope you enjoy them, Cakey.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:16 am

Why can't I find books that cheap?

I got them at my local library. There not in very condition, but you can't argue with such cheap prices.
Cake for Brains

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:36 pm

I last bought 'The Life Pursuit' by Belle and Sebastian for £6.99, which I love.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:44 pm

Last thing of consequence that i bought was a new Paul Smith suit last weekend
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby nilesgirl1960 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:15 pm

Elton Johns Goodbye Yellow Brick Road CD (shameless plug: if anyone has not heard this check it out.....its superb!!) and also Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms, another classic :D
nilesgirl1960

Postby DHP » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:47 pm

A couple of books by New Scientist which contain an assortment of obscure but fascinating facts about nature. Also bought a veggie cookbook. All 3 books were part of a birthday present for a mate, who as you might guess, has a keen interest in reading, cooking, science, and is a vegetarian. :P
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Nervosa » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:25 pm

I large painting of Brando as Don Corleone. In my room, I've got one of Pachino as Tony Montana hanging on the opposite wall. Then two more of B&W 1930s New York City. I suppose I've got a bit of a them, they're all Brown/Black&White.
Nervosa

Postby Wezzo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:23 pm

The latest issues of Q and DVD Review, the latter of which had a list of the top 100 DVDs of all-time for its 100th issue.
Wezzo

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion