Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Last Film You Watched

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Last Film You Watched

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:12 pm

HOLY MOTORS (5/5)
Like Mr Benn, if Mr Benn had been art-house and directed by David Lynch. Talking cars, an interlude involving lots of accordions and a Neil “Divine Comedy” Hannon song sung by Kylie! Forget The Artist, this is the best French film of the year. Actually, it’s probably *the* best film of the year.

LOOPER (4/5)
Great fun. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was the saving grace of The Dark Knight Rises, and once again, he’s on fine form here. A complex, high-concept premise made accessible and entertaining. I dock a star only because I think had the violence and nudity been toned down, it would have made a superb Inception-like blockbuster.

THE NIGHT OF THE SUNFLOWERS (3.5/5)
I thought it ran out of steam, but nevertheless, a good Spanish thriller that had the potential to be great had the brilliant idea behind it been executed more effectively.

NOW IS GOOD (4/5)
I wasn’t expecting much from this low-key British film (I was just there for Jeremy Irvine), but there’s no denying it’s emotional wallop. I defy anybody to leave the cinema unmoved.

PARANORMAN (2/5)
As with Jeremy Irvine, this was wonderful to look at but it wasn’t funny enough to fully engage my interest. Bound to scare a lot of kids though.

PAN’S LABYRINTH (4.5/5)
A superbly crafted, visually stunning, dark fairytale. I may download the soundtrack.

VERTIGO (4/5)
I liked it, but I was expecting much more considering it recently nabbed poll position in Sight & Sound’s list of the greateast films ever made. I don’t even think it’s Hitchcock’s best, personally.

HOOP DREAMS (4.5/5)
A documentary about so much more than basketball. Heartbreaking and uplifting in equal measure.

GARDEN STATE (3.5/5)
Zach Braff removes his Scrubs to write, direct and star in this sweet little Indie film.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Wezzo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:HOLY MOTORS (5/5)
LOOPER (4/5)
NOW IS GOOD (4/5)
PARANORMAN (2/5)
PAN’S LABYRINTH (4.5/5)
VERTIGO (4/5)
HOOP DREAMS (4.5/5)
GARDEN STATE (3.5/5)

Nice batch.

Holy Motors will be a DVD one for me, even my local Picturehouse haven't nabbed it. I loved Looper and Now is Good made me cry (as you know from Facebook!) ParaNorman I quite liked. Hoop Dreams is in my all-time top 20. Garden State is great. Pan's Labyrinth I like but is perhaps a little overrated.
Wezzo

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:HOLY MOTORS (5/5)
LOOPER (4/5)
NOW IS GOOD (4/5)
PARANORMAN (2/5)
PAN’S LABYRINTH (4.5/5)
VERTIGO (4/5)
HOOP DREAMS (4.5/5)
GARDEN STATE (3.5/5)

Nice batch.

Holy Motors will be a DVD one for me, even my local Picturehouse haven't nabbed it. I loved Looper and Now is Good made me cry (as you know from Facebook!) ParaNorman I quite liked. Hoop Dreams is in my all-time top 20. Garden State is great. Pan's Labyrinth I like but is perhaps a little overrated.

I streamed Holy Motors online from The Guardian website - it's a bit pricey, but I reasoned that it was only like buying a cinema ticket and popcorn.

And I know a few people who didn't get what all the fuss was about regarding Pan's Labyrinth. To be fair, most of the detractors I know aren't keen on fantasy, which probably has something to do with it.

Any 'must see' films that I need to check out this week - did you end up seeing The Campaign?
Cake for Brains

Postby Wezzo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Any 'must see' films that I need to check out this week - did you end up seeing The Campaign?

I did see The Campaign, it was reasonably funny, worth watching, not a must-see or anything though. I loved The Imposter, I know you've seen that though. Shadow Dancer was dull. Untouchable/Intouchables, of course, I recommend to all.

I'm looking forward to Perks of Being A Wallflower this week, and Sinister is getting surprisingly OK reviews. Liberal Arts isn't making it to anywhere near me, alas. The Knot looks appalling, but I kinda wanna see it anyway..
Wezzo

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:Any 'must see' films that I need to check out this week - did you end up seeing The Campaign?

I did see The Campaign, it was reasonably funny, worth watching, not a must-see or anything though. I loved The Imposter, I know you've seen that though. Shadow Dancer was dull. Untouchable/Intouchables, of course, I recommend to all.

I'm looking forward to Perks of Being A Wallflower this week, and Sinister is getting surprisingly OK reviews. Liberal Arts isn't making it to anywhere near me, alas. The Knot looks appalling, but I kinda wanna see it anyway..

I'll be seeing Perks of Being a Wallflower a week tomorrow, I believe. I'm in Manchester this week, so I'n hoping somewhere will be showing Liberal Arts on Friday. Failing that, I'll probably wind up seeing The Knot if, er, not. I also have a friend who wants to see Taken 2. I may fake flu or something though. It wasn't until afterwards that I learned that the first film wasn't supposed to be a comedy.

Oh, and glad you liked The Imposter.
Cake for Brains

Postby Wezzo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Wezzo wrote:

I'll be seeing Perks of Being a Wallflower a week tomorrow, I believe. I'm in Manchester this week, so I'n hoping somewhere will be showing Liberal Arts on Friday. Failing that, I'll probably wind up seeing The Knot if, er, not. I also have a friend who wants to see Taken 2. I may fake flu or something though. It wasn't until afterwards that I learned that the first film wasn't supposed to be a comedy.

Oh, and glad you liked The Imposter.

Haha. I'm with you on Taken. I'm not sure why, but I found it hilariously bad. I'm usually open to that kind of movie, and I really like Liam Neeson, and it's got a 7.9 on IMDb but.. nope, not for me.
Wezzo

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:14 pm

I really liked Taken. Not sure how I feel about a second one though.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 pm

I thought Taken was good fun. Pretty much did what i expected from it. I don't think anyone would ever class it as a serious, thought-provoking, dramatic masterpiece, but then i don't believe that was the intention of anybody involved in making it.

It was a bit of a hark back to the daft old Arnie/Sly/JCVD/Seagal popcorn action flicks of the 80s.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I thought Taken was good fun. Pretty much did what i expected from it. I don't think anyone would ever class it as a serious, thought-provoking, dramatic masterpiece, but then i don't believe that was the intention of anybody involved in making it.

It was a bit of a hark back to the daft old Arnie/Sly/JCVD/Seagal popcorn action flicks of the 80s.

I like my fair share of popcorn flicks, even a few Seagal ones.. I have a soft spot for the likes of Above the Law and Out for Justice. But Taken just didn't do it for me :(
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I thought Taken was good fun. Pretty much did what i expected from it. I don't think anyone would ever class it as a serious, thought-provoking, dramatic masterpiece, but then i don't believe that was the intention of anybody involved in making it.

I like my fair share of popcorn flicks, even a few Seagal ones.. I have a soft spot for the likes of Above the Law and Out for Justice. But Taken just didn't do it for me :(

Marked For Death and Hard To Kill are the other two good-daft-fun Seagal efforts that i like.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm

I don't think I could watch a Segal flick if you put a gun to my head!
CatNamedRudy

Postby barnaclelapse » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Woody Allen: A Documentary: 5/5
Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events: 3/5
Wanderlust: 3/5
The Company Men: 3/5
The Dark Knight Returns: 5/5
barnaclelapse

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:56 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:I don't think I could watch a Segal flick if you put a gun to my head!

:lol:

I've never seen any of his reality show, Steven Seagal: Lawman. Don't suppose you have? :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:44 pm

:twisted: Short Circuit.

Haven't seen that movie in years.
Jo loved it. She said "i've missed that film all my life" :lol:

Got to get SC2 on DVD now.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Short Circuit.

LOVE that movie. One that is often quoted amongst my friends. There is a guy who plays for the Packers (American Football) whose name is Mason Crosby. I always call him Newton Crosby!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:58 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Short Circuit.

LOVE that movie. One that is often quoted amongst my friends. There is a guy who plays for the Packers (American Football) whose name is Mason Crosby. I always call him Newton Crosby!

I haven't seen that for years, either. Holds up ok then?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:16 pm

:twisted: It does 8-)
I was actually shocked that there were a couple of swears in the movie, as well as Number 5 giving the finger, considering it's pretty much a kids film.......... :shock:
Forever Jung

Postby woggle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:33 am

The raid 5/5

:o how wicked is this film , now my fav action flick ever ... how they filmed it to look so real is beyond me and i did have to look away once when they were taking a bullet out with a blunt knife . Everything fight scene goes by at a bit of a flas so may watch it again nxt weekend to take it all in.
woggle

Postby insaneasperger » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 pm

Jeepers creepers 4/5 still one of my fav thriller films, and I love the song too!

How to train a dragon 5/5 an awesome film! I love all the characters! I really wanna by the DVD now!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:21 pm

insaneasperger wrote:Jeepers creepers 4/5 still one of my fav thriller films, and I love the song too!

:twisted: The end of the film.........................

Spoiler: show
Where the guys corpse is hanging up and The Creeper is looking through his hollowed out head

creeped the ever lovin' crap out of me :lol:
The night we watched it, we went up to bed, read for a bit, then I wanted to go back downstairs to use the bathroom, and I didn't want to go downstairs in the dark on my own :oops:

I like it in the 2nd film when the sihn says "Bat Out Of Hell" :D
Forever Jung

Postby barnaclelapse » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:02 am

Outrage: 4/5
Dredd: 4/5
Man Trouble: 1/5
Jigoku: 4/5
Norwegian Wood: 4/5
barnaclelapse

Postby woggle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:53 am

insaneasperger wrote:Jeepers creepers 4/5 still one of my fav thriller films, and I love the song too!

How to train a dragon 5/5 an awesome film! I love all the characters! I really wanna by the DVD now!

Noooooooooooo that film scared the crap out of me so much ive only seen it once to this day ..lol
woggle

Postby Hector » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:38 pm

insaneasperger wrote:How to train a dragon 5/5 an awesome film! I love all the characters! I really wanna by the DVD now!

I've decided How to Train your Dragon is the most under-rated CG animated film. Why it didn't have a bigger profile I don't know.

Brilliant fun! Had emotion and excitement.
Hector

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:55 pm

I've started to download a bunch of obscure exploitation movies that are either not released, still technically banned, or incredibly difficult to find in the UK.

The Candy Snatchers (1973) - 8/10
A classic 70s exploitation B-movie full of sleaze, nudity, violence and black humour. Lots of twists and turns and what a fantastic, unpredictable, ending! :D

It failed to get a UK certificate on it's original release and doesn't appear to have ever been resubmitted for consideration since. Would easily get passed nowadays, though, and has all the makings of a cult classic. More easily available in the US and elsewhere as it eventually received a R1 DVD release a few years ago, but still considered an obscurity.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Prehensile1982 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:18 am

Prometheus.

It was nowhere near as bad as people were saying it was. It has it's problems, especially if you're a fan of the Alien saga, but it's a well-made science fiction movie that stands head and shoulders above the kind of profit-over-quality crap Hollywood typically churns out. It's certainly Ridley Scott's best film since Gladiator in my opinion.
Prehensile1982

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion