Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Last Film You Watched

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:56 pm

Never seen it, but I'd like too. It's rated as one of the very best film's on the imDb Top 250 list - so I'll make an effort to catch it next time it's repeated on Film4 (it's on quite regularly).
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Wezzo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:05 pm

Ah, please do. It really is one of the all-time greatest films - even if it doesn't appeal to you, you'll like it: everyone does!
Wezzo

Postby Stratman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Star Trek The Motion Picture

I really liked it. The special effects, strangely, seemed to fit.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:06 pm

Glengarry Glen Ross

I saw about the first twenty minutes...in my writing seminar. It seemed pretty interesting, and I loved the music playing over the credits.

Films on my To Watch list are:

The Cat From Outer Space (I recorded it today; it's a favourite family film of mine - does anyone else like it?)

Stand By Me - it's on in the early hours of tomorrow morning on ITV; I plan to tape it; I've wanted to see it for a long time.

Herbie Rides Again - this'll be a re-watch; I've watched it many times already.

I've heard really good things about Stand By Me - I know I'm not really in any position to recommend people to watch it, without having seen it myself, but based on the strength of other people's recommendations, I'd encourage those of you here that have never seen it to tape it, if you can. It's described as a "bittersweet coming-of-age story" about four boys who hear that a corpse of a boy around their age is hidden somewhere, and they set out to try to find it. It's based on Stephen King's novel The Body.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Kris » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:25 pm

Is Sean Astin in that film or am I confusing it with something else?
Kris

Postby Leanne » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:48 pm

No, but Corey Feldman is, and he co-starred with Astin in The Goonies of the previous year, maybe that's what you're thinking of? River Phoenix is the one people usually remember from Stand By Me.
Leanne

Postby Kris » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:59 pm

That's it! I love The Goonies.
Kris

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:34 am

I was mistaken...Stand By Me wasn't on last night after all. It is tonight, though - or early tomorrow morning - whichever you want to call it.

So I look forward to hopefully watching it on Wednesday.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Trixxie » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:32 pm

Last film i watched was The Green mile. Fantastic, amazing and unbelievably good film! I love it. Problem is, i always end up crying!!
Niles: I specifically asked for just a whisper of cinnamon and he's given me a full throated shout! There are countries in the world that would chop off his sprinkling hand!
Frasier: You know, I'd forgotten what a strange little person you are.
Trixxie

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:40 pm

Annoying! I set everything up to record Stand By Me last night, only when setting up the VCR, I had to put what channel it was on - and I mistakenly said Channel 3 instead of Channel 4! So I ended up recording the completely wrong stuff!

Oh, well...hopefully I'll be getting the movie on Christmas Day, so I shouldn't have too long to wait to see it.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:54 pm

Has anyone seen Miami Vice? My housemates and I are planning to rent it tomorrow night and get a pizza in. It looks like a good action film which I think I'll enjoy. Does anyone have any thought?
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Wezzo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:56 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:Annoying! I set everything up to record Stand By Me last night, only when setting up the VCR, I had to put what channel it was on - and I mistakenly said Channel 3 instead of Channel 4! So I ended up recording the completely wrong stuff!

Oh, well...hopefully I'll be getting the movie on Christmas Day, so I shouldn't have too long to wait to see it.

And even if you don't get it, you'll probably get some cash to pick it up cheap in the sale! :D
Wezzo

Postby Stratman » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:57 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Has anyone seen Miami Vice? My housemates and I are planning to rent it tomorrow night and get a pizza in. It looks like a good action film which I think I'll enjoy. Does anyone have any thought?

The series was better than people give it credit for. Don't know about the movie though; I've read mixed reviews.
Stratman

Postby DHP » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Stratman wrote:
Davey Boy wrote:Has anyone seen Miami Vice? My housemates and I are planning to rent it tomorrow night and get a pizza in. It looks like a good action film which I think I'll enjoy. Does anyone have any thought?

The series was better than people give it credit for. Don't know about the movie though; I've read mixed reviews.

I've read reviews that said it was great and others that said it was boring. Sounds like one that depends on your tastes.

Last film I watched was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Was on last night on Film4. I wasn't really watching it, just came in and caught a bit while my dad and sister were watching it. From what I saw it looked very funny and they were certainly laughing their socks off! Alas, I had an essay to get out of the way so as to keep my weekend free. Am off to Scotland for a 21st, and there will be absolutely NO time to do the essay then!
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Stratman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:34 am

DHP wrote:
Stratman wrote:

I've read reviews that said it was great and others that said it was boring. Sounds like one that depends on your tastes.

Last film I watched was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Was on last night on Film4. I wasn't really watching it, just came in and caught a bit while my dad and sister were watching it. From what I saw it looked very funny and they were certainly laughing their socks off! Alas, I had an essay to get out of the way so as to keep my weekend free. Am off to Scotland for a 21st, and there will be absolutely NO time to do the essay then!

It's quite a good film. Matthew Broderick sells it amazingly.
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:44 am

Stratman wrote:
DHP wrote:
Stratman wrote:

It's quite a good film. Matthew Broderick sells it amazingly.

One of my favourite films from my teenage years. Along with that other John Hughes classic Weird Science, which was basically every schoolboy's wet dream.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:43 pm

I watched Home Alone last night. As always, it was wonderful to see the burglars get what they deserved. I must have seen that film about a hundred times.

I'll have to watch Home Alone 2 soon...

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:54 pm

United 93.

Certainly not a 'feel good' film. And you know how it all ends before the film starts (not to sound uncaring, of course).

One thing that struck me was the way the terrorists sat with the other passengers in the louge waiting area. This hadn't occured to be before. They were sitting looking at these people knowing they are going to bring them to meet their maker very soon. I found it bone chilling.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Davey Boy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:19 am

Nervosa wrote:United 93.

Certainly not a 'feel good' film. And you know how it all ends before the film starts (not to sound uncaring, of course).

One thing that struck me was the way the terrorists sat with the other passengers in the louge waiting area. This hadn't occured to be before. They were sitting looking at these people knowing they are going to bring them to meet their maker very soon. I found it bone chilling.

I haven't seen the film but what you say about the terrorists is very distressing. I really struggle to grapple with the issue, as I'm sure alot of people do, purely because the terrorists believed in the cause to such an extent that not only were they willing to die for it, but they also killed so many innocent people too. To lose family or friends during 9/11 (or any terrorist attack) must be truely terrible.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby DHP » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:36 am

Just watched the second hour or so of King Kong - Extended Edition. I do like the film. I know there are people who hate it, which is fair enough really as everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I thought it was impressively made and very engaging fun.

With uni work coming to a peak and the search for a job putting huge demands on my time too, I find it hard to watch any film in one sitting these days though. It's handy that it's broken up into thirds though, with disc one being just over an hour (ending with the crew beginning their search for Ann after she's been taken), and disc two being divided into Skull Island and New York sections nicely. I do prefer watching films in one sitting, but to find 3 hours of nothingness lumped together in a day just hasn't happened for a very long time really.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Paul B » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:48 am

The Incredibles

Wonderful film, Pixar's finest. I look forward to Brad Bird's Ratatouille.
Paul B

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:14 am

Taken a nice trip down memory lane this evening - and watched 'Beauty and the Beast' with my younger siblings (great excuse to regress). Such a wonderful, warm, feel-good film that makes me wish I was 6 again - definitely my favourite Disney movie (along with Toy Story/Toy Story 2). The songs are great too.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:19 am

Excellent, Cakey! Do more regressing! It's good! There are some good Sesame Street websites out there!

I see Forrest Gump is on next week; I might watch some of it - I've never watched the whole movie. I would imagine that at least some people here have seen it; it's such a famous film.

"RUN, FORREST! RUN!"

Everyone knows that line. :)

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Wezzo » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:44 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:Excellent, Cakey! Do more regressing! It's good! There are some good Sesame Street websites out there!

I see Forrest Gump is on next week; I might watch some of it - I've never watched the whole movie. I would imagine that at least some people here have seen it; it's such a famous film.

"RUN, FORREST! RUN!"

It's actually on tonight, isn't it?

Great film, one of my all-time favourites, but my TV guide only gave it 2/5.
Wezzo

Postby Leanne » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:33 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Bee Gees Fan wrote:Excellent, Cakey! Do more regressing! It's good! There are some good Sesame Street websites out there!

"RUN, FORREST! RUN!"

It's actually on tonight, isn't it?

Great film, one of my all-time favourites, but my TV guide only gave it 2/5.

It does seem to get harsh reviews now. I remember 10 out of 10, FIVE STARS! ratings at the time of its release. Same goes for Titanic - mention that now and people roll their eyes.

Last film I watched was Grave of the Fireflies/Hotaru no haka. Actually a re-watch, I forgot how sad it is.
Leanne

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion