Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Dear Diary

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Dear Diary

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:On a completely unrelated note. You live a hundred yards from her but don't see her, but get in contact on Facebook? Why? :scratch: :lol:

Because it's Facebook, that's what people do - make friends with people they haven't seen in years and hardly knew anyway, then sometimes comment on their statuses. Very occasionally, people actually arrange to meet up for real, but more often than not, it's just a lazy way of making you feel like you have lots of friends - are you telling me you didn't know this about Facebook? :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 pm

Hehe, I probably should have given a more serious answer there. I think it's just easier to make contact with someone you haven't seen for years via Facebook (or similar sites), rather than just randomly knocking on their door. Visiting them if they don't want to see you could be very awkward! Some people want to go their own way and don't want to have any contact with old schoolmates, others welcome it - if they're on Facebook and have send you a friends request, you can be fairly sure that either a) they want as many friends as possible on their list, in which case it's pretty obvious that's the case and I wouldn't add them, or b) they're kind of curious about what you're up to now, and are more open to keeping in touch.

I bet there are a few people around here who work in offices, and if so, they probably often email their colleagues instead of walking over to speak to them. Emails, Facebook messages, etc., are less intrusive and can be answered whenever the other person wants to - it feels to me like using Facebook is the same principle.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:33 pm

I totally agree with what DG said about Facebook contacts. Sometimes it's just easier and somehow seems less intrusive. I honestly hate talking on the phone. I have to do it at work but if I never had to talk on the phone again I wouldn't! So for me, facebook is a way to keep in touch with a lot of people. My sisters and I communicate all the time over FB.

I email my co-worker a lot. She is in the next cubicle! Of course that has more to do with the fact that usually when I email her it's to say something about the offender who is currently in her cube rambling about something that makes no sense!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:On a completely unrelated note. You live a hundred yards from her but don't see her, but get in contact on Facebook? Why? :scratch: :lol:

Because it's Facebook, that's what people do - make friends with people they haven't seen in years and hardly knew anyway, then sometimes comment on their statuses. Very occasionally, people actually arrange to meet up for real, but more often than not, it's just a lazy way of making you feel like you have lots of friends - are you telling me you didn't know this about Facebook? :lol:

:D i just try to help people say these things out loud until one day they realise what they're doing :wink:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Hehe, I probably should have given a more serious answer there. I think it's just easier to make contact with someone you haven't seen for years via Facebook (or similar sites), rather than just randomly knocking on their door. Visiting them if they don't want to see you could be very awkward! Some people want to go their own way and don't want to have any contact with old schoolmates, others welcome it - if they're on Facebook and have send you a friends request, you can be fairly sure that either a) they want as many friends as possible on their list, in which case it's pretty obvious that's the case and I wouldn't add them, or b) they're kind of curious about what you're up to now, and are more open to keeping in touch.

I bet there are a few people around here who work in offices, and if so, they probably often email their colleagues instead of walking over to speak to them. Emails, Facebook messages, etc., are less intrusive and can be answered whenever the other person wants to - it feels to me like using Facebook is the same principle.

hehe fair enough. It was more just the thought that you'd maybe lived so close for years without bothering with each other but then you see each other online and it seems obvious you should just talk to each other on it :D

I know people use it for quick contact in office situations. That's more for practicality than being friends though, that i can see.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:44 pm

Moon-Crane wrote::D i just try to help people say these things out loud until one day they realise what they're doing :wink:

:lol: No, you're okay, I already knew that's what I was doing. ;)

Through sites like FB and Friends Reunited though, I've managed to get back in touch with several old friends who have changed addresses, phone numbers, etc., and with whom I'd lost touch accidentally. A few of the people who came to my wedding back in 2002 were 're-found' using Friends Reunited. Keeping in touch with people via Facebook is also the reason I've lost lots of weight - I saw a pic of a friend who had lost a whopping nine stone, and asked her how she'd done it. Then another friend on FB invited me to go along to the group she goes to.

hehe fair enough. It was more just the thought that you'd maybe lived so close for years without bothering with each other but then you see each other online and it seems obvious you should just talk to each other on it

I see your point, and I know people that don't use Facebook are generally bemused by this. :lol: I didn't know she lived that close until a couple of weeks ago, and she didn't know I'd moved back to my old house! People (well, at least people with any sense!) don't tend to put their addresses on facebook, so unless it comes up in conversation, you don't necessarily know. Weird that we'ver never run into each other in the street though.
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:45 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I totally agree with what DG said about Facebook contacts. Sometimes it's just easier and somehow seems less intrusive. I honestly hate talking on the phone. I have to do it at work but if I never had to talk on the phone again I wouldn't! So for me, facebook is a way to keep in touch with a lot of people. My sisters and I communicate all the time over FB.

I email my co-worker a lot. She is in the next cubicle! Of course that has more to do with the fact that usually when I email her it's to say something about the offender who is currently in her cube rambling about something that makes no sense!

Fair enough. I can understand keeping in touch with friends/family who are far away, or friends/family you often see in 'real life'. And i'm assuming you do actually get face to face and chat with your sisters whever it's practical? It was just the fact of living in the same place as someone else and not bothering to have any other contact at all, but communicating online.

I'm quite happy to accept that it's me who's the weird one for thinking it unusual. :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I know people use it for quick contact in office situations. That's more for practicality than being friends though, that i can see.

So, MC, I'm intrigued... you and I send each other the occasional PM. If we lived a lot closer, would you pop around to talk instead of PMing me? :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:53 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote::D i just try to help people say these things out loud until one day they realise what they're doing :wink:

:lol: No, you're okay, I already knew that's what I was doing. ;)

Through sites like FB and Friends Reunited though, I've managed to get back in touch with several old friends who have changed addresses, phone numbers, etc., and with whom I'd lost touch accidentally. A few of the people who came to my wedding back in 2002 were 're-found' using Friends Reunited. Keeping in touch with people via Facebook is also the reason I've lost lots of weight - I saw a pic of a friend who had lost a whopping nine stone, and asked her how she'd done it. Then another friend on FB invited me to go along to the group she goes to.

I see the use in that respect. that's what they were all for. there's nobody i can think of that i've lost touch with that i'm looking to find again i suppose. What a sullen, stone-faced twat, eh? ;)

hehe fair enough. It was more just the thought that you'd maybe lived so close for years without bothering with each other but then you see each other online and it seems obvious you should just talk to each other on it

I see your point, and I know people that don't use Facebook are generally bemused by this. :lol: I didn't know she lived that close until a couple of weeks ago, and she didn't know I'd moved back to my old house! People (well, at least people with any sense!) don't tend to put their addresses on facebook, so unless it comes up in conversation, you don't necessarily know. Weird that we'ver never run into each other in the street though.

No, that's fair enough.

I do know how Facebook and the like all work (even though i don't use twitter either - and would be a minority here in saying i prefer it - i do see the benefits of both). My missus has a Facebook account and she keeps up with what the family and her and my friends are up to. I look at it and don't really care if i never knew what they were putting up there though :lol:

i do see the benfits for many people.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Yes, MC I do actually see my sisters in real life. One more than the other because she lives close to me.

It is a different communication world we live in these days. Not so much unusual anymore. It's just different IMO.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I know people use it for quick contact in office situations. That's more for practicality than being friends though, that i can see.

So, MC, I'm intrigued... you and I send each other the occasional PM. If we lived a lot closer, would you pop around to talk instead of PMing me? :lol:

Yes, if i was only 100 yards away. :lol:

Seriously though, i do keep in touch with many friends through msn or email, text messages and the phone, but i see them at some time or other in the flesh too. Most of the stuff is related to things that i know the rest of the world doesn't need to hear - it's just not interesting enough to be publicly posted for anyone to comment on. I wish most people on my missus's facebook realised their thoughts on everything possible aren't really that interesting either :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:It is a different communication world we live in these days. Not so much unusual anymore. It's just different IMO.

Yep. Mobile phones have made a huge difference too. For instance, when walking around supermarkets, I very often hear people on the phone, saying 'which aisle are you in, I can't find you!' :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

I wish most people on my missus's facebook realised their thoughts on everything possible aren't really that interesting either

That's my problem with Twitter! It seems to me a lot more people put the mundane stupid shit on Twitter than they do on FB. (I don't have a Twitter account BTW). Though yes, some people (and I'm sure I've done it myself) tend to put some mundane stupid shit on FB too. I use it as a venting system sometimes!
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:It is a different communication world we live in these days. Not so much unusual anymore. It's just different IMO.

Yep. Mobile phones have made a huge difference too. For instance, when walking around supermarkets, I very often hear people on the phone, saying 'which aisle are you in, I can't find you!' :lol:

:lol: That's funny!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:05 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:That's my problem with Twitter! It seems to me a lot more people put the mundane stupid shit on Twitter than they do on FB. (I don't have a Twitter account BTW). Though yes, some people (and I'm sure I've done it myself) tend to put some mundane stupid shit on FB too. I use it as a venting system sometimes!

I can completely understand why some people dislike the idea of social networking sites. I put mundane stuff on FB too sometimes, but people don't have to reply, it's up to them. Come to that, I do the same on here - make inane posts that people can respond to or ignore as they wish. :lol:

Different people have different views of what 'mundane' is too, hence the reason we don't all reply to all threads on here, maybe. The TV thread, for instance - I realise I'm in the minority, being as this is a TV-centred site, really, but I quite often only skim through that thread. When people put a list of programmes they've watched and the rating they give them, it's often pretty meaningless to me - but it's interesting to others, and that's what's important. :)

EDIT: Hehe, and having just glanced at the TV thread just now, I'm worried this might be taken as a dig at you, MC, but I didn't intend it that way, I promise. :lol:
Last edited by Dorset Girl on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Yes, MC I do actually see my sisters in real life. One more than the other because she lives close to me.

It is a different communication world we live in these days. Not so much unusual anymore. It's just different IMO.

Very true. I know i'd use it to keep in touch with people if i bothered to set up an account, but i'm also pretty sure i'd start getting abuse from people for not looking on it every day and not replying to everything within five minutes of posts being made. :lol: At least people can moan that they need to msn or email me or whatever instead of expecting me to just get back to them about something they've posted on facebook :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:12 pm

I have friends that I used to get on about not checking their FB accounts. But then I just figured if I needed them for something I'd email them regular or text or maybe even actually CALL them! :lol:

I've gotten over the not responding to messages on FB thing but I do get bugged when people don't answer their emails. That annoys the hell out of me.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:14 pm

I've probably pissed loads of people off on FB then, I answer all my private messages on there, but I don't make comments on everyone's profiles, by any means.
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:That's my problem with Twitter! It seems to me a lot more people put the mundane stupid shit on Twitter than they do on FB. (I don't have a Twitter account BTW). Though yes, some people (and I'm sure I've done it myself) tend to put some mundane stupid shit on FB too. I use it as a venting system sometimes!

I can completely understand why some people dislike the idea of social networking sites. I put mundane stuff on FB too sometimes, but people don't have to reply, it's up to them. Come to that, I do the same on here - make inane posts that people can respond to or ignore as they wish. :lol:

Different people have different views of what 'mundane' is too, hence the reason we don't all reply to all threads on here, maybe. The TV thread, for instance - I realise I'm in the minority, being as this is a TV-centred site, really, but I quite often only skim through that thread. When people put a list of programmes they've watched and the rating they give them, it's often pretty meaningless to me - but it's interesting to others, and that's what's important. :)

Absolutely agree. I can take any amount of stuff that's personally uninteresting to me on a message board. I suppose i could do the same with the lists of things on a facebook page.

Relating to this place, I like the fact it's pretty self-contained on here from my other shit. If i was on facebook and added some people as friends, but not others, you get the nutters who want to know why you don't add them or someone else. And everyone can see just about everything else through being a third or fourth party friend of someone else. Not that it bothers me to tell them i don't particularly like them - just it seems like a waste of energy. :lol: If i break people up into different methods of cummunication, it feels better to me :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I've probably pissed loads of people off on FB then, I answer all my private messages on there, but I don't make comments on everyone's profiles, by any means.

I don't mean commenting on statuses or wall posts. I mean if I send them a private message on FB. I can't imagine commenting on everyone's profiles! That would be a little out of control. :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I'm quite happy to accept that it's me who's the weird one for thinking it unusual. :D

At last! :lol: :P Seriously, I do agree with all of you about the mundane posts. A couple of my friends have posted on FB NOT Twitter "I'm just going to get a cup of tea, I'll be back in 5 mins" or "I'm going to the toilet, I won't be long!" Pardon the pun, but I don't give a shit!
welshben23

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:20 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:I've probably pissed loads of people off on FB then, I answer all my private messages on there, but I don't make comments on everyone's profiles, by any means.

I don't mean commenting on statuses or wall posts. I mean if I send them a private message on FB. I can't imagine commenting on everyone's profiles! That would be a little out of control. :lol:

Oh right, sorry, I misunderstood. I think some people actually do that though, just make comments on everyone's profiles just for the hell of it! Maybe they feel good to see high numbers in those little red boxes that tell you you've got new notifications. :lol:

I think Facebook's a bit like Flickr - you get out what you put in. I find that if I go through a phase of making lots of comments on other people's stuff, I get more comments myself. If I'm out of touch for a while, the comments I get trail off.

MC, I added an 'edit' to my post above before you replied, by the way. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:21 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I'm quite happy to accept that it's me who's the weird one for thinking it unusual. :D

At last! :lol: :P Seriously, I do agree with all of you about the mundane posts. A couple of my friends have posted on FB NOT Twitter "I'm just going to get a cup of tea, I'll be back in 5 mins" or "I'm going to the toilet, I won't be long!" Pardon the pun, but I don't give a shit!

Aw, Ben, we should accept that we're all weird in our own little ways. ;)
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:22 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I have friends that I used to get on about not checking their FB accounts. But then I just figured if I needed them for something I'd email them regular or text or maybe even actually CALL them! :lol:

I've gotten over the not responding to messages on FB thing but I do get bugged when people don't answer their emails. That annoys the hell out of me.

Yeah email does annoy me too - probably because it's a definite direct communication. i can take a few days/week delay (if it's not urgent - but i don;t rely on email for urgent things) - but not nothing at all.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:31 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:MC, I added an 'edit' to my post above before you replied, by the way. :lol:

:lol: I know that rating tv shows is mindnumbingly pointless to most people - I blame wes and his old listology ways for doing it. I've cut back a lot - but got to have the occasional fix.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion