Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Dear Diary

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:46 am

nervosa wrote:when I get the chance to safely drive fast, I do.

I'm sorry mate but there's no such thing as diving fast 'safely' on a public road. I've got no doubt you are an excellent driver, but there are so many idiots on the road these days. Basically, you are gambling your life that everyone else on the road has the same eyesight you do; the same reactions and the same spatial awareness.

The number of times people have screeched around blind corners on quiet roads, expecting the road to be empty is frightening. Just last week I had an incident where if I'd been driving 5mph faster I wouldn't have been able to stop from crashing into a silly woman who drove straight out in front of me.

I know I'm going to sound old and crusty here mate, but you learn these things through (sometimes bitter) experience.

What’s that saying? A wise man learns from his own experience, a genius learns from other peoples! :wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:58 am

My brother totaled his car only six months ago because he was driving too fast on a suburban road. I knew a guy who is now dead because he was driving too fast. My mother once had to testify in court because she was first on the scene at a crash as the result of a man driving too fast.

Drive Fast, Die Fast

Dear God, I sound like a public service announcement.
Stratman

Postby welshben23 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:51 pm

I've never driven faster than 70 mph in my car. Oh Dear God!! :P
welshben23

Postby Stratman » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:02 pm

welshben23 wrote:I've never driven faster than 70 mph in my car. Oh Dear God!! :P

Same.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:09 pm

I've never driven before (and I don't plan to learn any time soon. I keep thinking I'll get into an accident.)

Due to the late timeslot of Arrested Development tonight (or tomorrow morning, I should say) I won't be able to watch it while I'm taping it, as I have to be up early on Monday. I hope they have it on earlier next week.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:36 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I've never driven before (and I don't plan to learn any time soon. I keep thinking I'll get into an accident.)

Due to the late timeslot of Arrested Development tonight (or tomorrow morning, I should say) I won't be able to watch it while I'm taping it, as I have to be up early on Monday. I hope they have it on earlier next week.

On the contrary, I adore driving. I'm a petrolhead and a complete and utter spped freak - although, I obey the speed limits. I dislike my instructor though, as he keeps coming up with stupid comments like: "We in the business call this 2nd [as in second gear]". I'm pretty sure everybody calls second gear second!
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Rodge » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
nervosa wrote:when I get the chance to safely drive fast, I do.

I'm sorry mate but there's no such thing as diving fast 'safely' on a public road. I've got no doubt you are an excellent driver, but there are so many idiots on the road these days. Basically, you are gambling your life that everyone else on the road has the same eyesight you do; the same reactions and the same spatial awareness.

The number of times people have screeched around blind corners on quiet roads, expecting the road to be empty is frightening. Just last week I had an incident where if I'd been driving 5mph faster I wouldn't have been able to stop from crashing into a silly woman who drove straight out in front of me.

I know I'm going to sound old and crusty here mate, but you learn these things through (sometimes bitter) experience.

What’s that saying? A wise man learns from his own experience, a genius learns from other peoples! :wink:

To all youngsters and those who think driving fast is "cool" take heed in what BN says. I was once like that - 65mph on a country lane, thought I had total control over the car, no worries - "I'm the best driver in the world, I'm not stupid" - I hit a pot hole, (not that big a pot hole) It knocked the steering wheel right out of my hand and vered me towards a wall. My last thought before impact was "oh shit, I'm gonna dent my wing". Next thing I knew, the car was on it's roof, having rolled twice and I was thanking my lucky stars that I was just bruised and battered and there was no one else on the road. When the first car turned up which happened to be a nurse (that always seems to be the case!!), I pulled myself out and walked towards her. She was stunned for at least a minute that I was still alive let alone walking.
Its not big, it's not clever and anyone who says that they love speed is a prat of the highest order. :x

As BN states, always remember, whenever you are driving always think:- If someone pulls out here or a kid runs across the road, or someone comes round this next corner a bit too fast, am I going slow enough, or in control enough to stop safely. You may think that you are a great driver, which invariably you are not, but I know from many experiences that there are complete arseholes on the road who just do not give a shit.
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:25 pm

If I ever do learn to drive (I've no plans to at the moment) I'm so fearful, that I'd probably drive at a crawl. I can imagine myself driving at about 50 mph on a motorway, and I know that's really just as dangerous as speeding, but I'd be too scared to go too fast.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:50 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I know I'm going to sound old and crusty here mate, but you learn these things through (sometimes bitter) experience.

Not at all, I see (and agree) with your point. I first drove a car at about 8 years old, and first on the road at about 13 years old. Although I've only been qualified for the best part of a year, I do have quite a lot of experience. I'm not a boy racer at all; infact I can't stand boy racers. I often tell friends to slow down when I'm in the car.

I know there's always the "what ifs?", but I assure you, this happened on a road I'm on fairly often. It was empty when I did this. The roads where I live are generally long and straight. So when I'm doing the 3 miles between mine and my girlfriend's house and it's completely empty, the speedo creeps up to 80mph...85mph...90mph. But if I see a car in the distance, I slow down a lot.

I drive on the principle that "would you like to meet yourself coming in the other direction." So at a corner, I slow down. I'm rather paranoid about bendy country roads, so I almost come to a stop going round a corner as you simply don't know what's there.

When I said driving fast when it's safe to do so, I was meaning safe as in, straight, empty road for three miles.

I've known a couple of guys from round here who have lost lives in their car. And working in the Fire Station for a week, I heard plenty of stories of the shapes people are found in.

So I definitely don't want to become another statistic.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Rodge » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:14 pm

nervosa wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:I know I'm going to sound old and crusty here mate, but you learn these things through (sometimes bitter) experience.

Not at all, I see (and agree) with your point. I first drove a car at about 8 years old, and first on the road at about 13 years old. Although I've only been qualified for the best part of a year, I do have quite a lot of experience. I'm not a boy racer at all; infact I can't stand boy racers. I often tell friends to slow down when I'm in the car.

I know there's always the "what ifs?", but I assure you, this happened on a road I'm on fairly often. It was empty when I did this. The roads where I live are generally long and straight. So when I'm doing the 3 miles between mine and my girlfriend's house and it's completely empty, the speedo creeps up to 80mph...85mph...90mph. But if I see a car in the distance, I slow down a lot.

I drive on the principle that "would you like to meet yourself coming in the other direction." So at a corner, I slow down. I'm rather paranoid about bendy country roads, so I almost come to a stop going round a corner as you simply don't know what's there.

When I said driving fast when it's safe to do so, I was meaning safe as in, straight, empty road for three miles.

I've known a couple of guys from round here who have lost lives in their car. And working in the Fire Station for a week, I heard plenty of stories of the shapes people are found in.

So I definitely don't want to become another statistic.

I bet you wish that you had never mentioned it with all us old codgers having a go!!! :lol: Sounds like your head's screwed on though.
One final statistic. Most road accidents actually happen on roads on which the driver is most familiar - over confidence I guess! - Keep safe.
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Nervosa » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:20 pm

Rob wrote:I bet you wish that you had never mentioned it with all us old codgers having a go!!! :lol:

Uch Rob, what young lad wouldn't enjoy a right good bollocking from his elders?! :lol:
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:39 am

Nervosa wrote:
Rob wrote:I bet you wish that you had never mentioned it with all us old codgers having a go!!! :lol:

Uch Rob, what young lad wouldn't enjoy a right good bollocking from his elders?! :lol:

Hehe, touche!

I wasn't in anything like as severe an incident as Rob, but I had my fair share of bumps and scrapes when I was younger. They mostly just ended up hitting me in the pocket. Significantly, they ceased when I was 21 and had three years driving experience behind me. I think it's something most people go through when they first start to drive (especially young lads), it's just some people have their heads screwed on more than others. :)
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Nervosa » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:45 am

Yes, statistically most people have a crash within the first year of being qualified. I really don't want this to happen again, it's a major inconvienience, my car is STILL off the road and it's going to cost at least £1500 to pay the mechanic. Not to mention what could happen in the future. I'm just annoyed at myself as I've gained a reputation as a boy racer among friends. I'm really not though.

This should definitely be the last of my incidents in the car as I've realised the potential of what could happen.
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:57 am

Nervosa wrote:This should definitely be the last of my incidents in the car as I've realised the potential of what could happen.

Then it's a blessing in disguise mate, just take the positives out of this.

That repair bill - ouch!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Nervosa » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:31 pm

I got my car back yesterday! Jeez, 4 weeks without that independance was torture. I'm so happy to get it back. Although the crash did affect me a bit, I was decideidly nervous when driving last night, but that's probably a good thing as it keeps me more alert. Hopefully it'll pass. I've certainly learned my lesson though. For the first time in months, I had both hands on the steering wheel! :lol:

I'm taking a group of friends (along with a second car) up to the coast tonight, so that should be fun.

God, everything makes sense again (as Frasier would say)!
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:36 pm

Nervosa wrote:I got my car back yesterday! Jeez, 4 weeks without that independance was torture. I'm so happy to get it back. Although the crash did affect me a bit, I was decideidly nervous when driving last night, but that's probably a good thing as it keeps me more alert. Hopefully it'll pass. I've certainly learned my lesson though. For the first time in months, I had both hands on the steering wheel! :lol:

I'm taking a group of friends (along with a second car) up to the coast tonight, so that should be fun.

God, everything makes sense again (as Frasier would say)!

Pleased to hear it mate! It feels weird when you haven't had your car for a while, doesn't it? :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Nervosa » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:41 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Pleased to hear it mate! It feels weird when you haven't had your car for a while, doesn't it? :wink:

Cheers mate! It certainly does. I guess it's the old "you don't miss it till it's gone" saying. I never thought I'd be so happy to see my crappy Corsa! Now I respect her more, I want her as my wife! :lol:
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:44 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Pleased to hear it mate! It feels weird when you haven't had your car for a while, doesn't it? :wink:

Cheers mate! It certainly does. I guess it's the old "you don't miss it till it's gone" saying. I never thought I'd be so happy to see my crappy Corsa! Now I respect her more, I want her as my wife! :lol:

Hehe, my last car was a purple Corsa. Deisel too. Boy, did it suck! :lol:

I was single when I had that and it was nice and cheap to run. I'm getting a Zafira next month thanks to my ever-expanding family! How times change.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Nervosa » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I was single when I had that and it was nice and cheap to run. I'm getting a Zafira next month thanks to my ever-expanding family! How times change.

"See you've got the new Zafira then? *ssssssssigh* Over-tired."

God, I HATE that ad. :x

A mate of mine drives a what transit van; that sure looks funny with 'R' plates! Makes my Corsa look like the best thing since sliced bread, so I park near him when possible :lol:
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:05 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:I was single when I had that and it was nice and cheap to run. I'm getting a Zafira next month thanks to my ever-expanding family! How times change.

"See you've got the new Zafira then? *ssssssssigh* Over-tired."

God, I HATE that ad. :x

I completely forgot about that shit advert - it's put me off buying the car now! :lol:
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:08 pm

Nervosa wrote:A mate of mine drives a what transit van; that sure looks funny with 'R' plates! Makes my Corsa look like the best thing since sliced bread, so I park near him when possible :lol:

I make a point of always parking near cars that are better than mine. It helps make a car theives mind up for him! "Dodgy old 1.6 litre Astra, or BMW 7 series? Hmmm, let me think..." :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Nervosa » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:21 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Nervosa wrote:A mate of mine drives a what transit van; that sure looks funny with 'R' plates! Makes my Corsa look like the best thing since sliced bread, so I park near him when possible :lol:

I make a point of always parking near cars that are better than mine. It helps make a car theives mind up for him! "Dodgy old 1.6 litre Astra, or BMW 7 series? Hmmm, let me think..." :D

Ooooooooh I like your logic! :D Good luck to anyone trying to steal my car though, it takes about 8 attempts to get the bloody thing started :roll: Gone in 60 seconds? Make it 60 minutes for mine!
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:30 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:I make a point of always parking near cars that are better than mine. It helps make a car theives mind up for him! "Dodgy old 1.6 litre Astra, or BMW 7 series? Hmmm, let me think..." :D

Ooooooooh I like your logic! :D Good luck to anyone trying to steal my car though, it takes about 8 attempts to get the bloody thing started :roll: Gone in 60 seconds? Make it 60 minutes for mine!

My mate had an hilarious (yet highly effective) solution for making sure no one nicked his car radio. He took an extremely shit, pre-historic car radio 'front', and blue-tacked it on to the front of his state-of-the-art Kenwood model! :lol:

He could park his car in the roughest of areas without worry!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:49 pm

I hate thieves. When dealing with burglars, I think people should take a leaf out of Maculay Culkin's book.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:51 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I hate thieves. When dealing with burglars, I think people should take a leaf out of Maculay Culkin's book.

In this day and age that would be insane. The robbers could very easily sue his ass.
Stratman

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion