Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Dear Diary

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Nervosa » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:53 pm

Dear Diary,

Last day of school today. Annual tallent show "Stars In Their Eyes" was held. As always, hoasted by two pupils and all proceeds going towards the school's "Aid Romania" team. The standard of the acts is usually pretty naff, but this year took the biscuit; they were terrible. But that's not to say everyone didn't have a laugh.

Three lads from my year won the show with their (intended) camp version of a Westlife song. I'm close mates with two of them, so I was pleased for them.

That was my 8th and last S.I.T.E. in school and I was a little disappointed it was quite rubbish.

Ah well, off for Christmas now, so things are okay with me! Dreading starting revision though...I've got a HUGE amount of work to get through. Just can't get motivated to start it....:(
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Frasier » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:36 pm

Nervosa wrote:Dear Diary, Last day of school today. Annual tallent show "Stars In Their Eyes" was held. As always, hoasted by two pupils and all proceeds going towards the school's "Aid Romania" team.

That's intersting- There was a guy at my college who's going to go to Romania to help the situation there - He was rasing money. I wonder if its the same thing.

Secondly, who won the talent show? :)
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:51 pm

Nervosa wrote:Dreading starting revision though...I've got a HUGE amount of work to get through. Just can't get motivated to start it....

Here's a mental exercise that might help...

Meditate for a while - clear your mind of all thoughts. And then repeat to yourself, over and over again, "I am ready to start my work. I am ready to start my work. I am ready to start my work." Keep saying this, and mean it. Make sure you really believe this and know this.

Then stop. And hopefully you'll be motivated to work.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:00 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Nervosa wrote:Dreading starting revision though...I've got a HUGE amount of work to get through. Just can't get motivated to start it....

Here's a mental exercise that might help...

Meditate for a while - clear your mind of all thoughts. And then repeat to yourself, over and over again, "I am ready to start my work. I am ready to start my work. I am ready to start my work." Keep saying this, and mean it. Make sure you really believe this and know this.

Then stop. And hopefully you'll be motivated to work.

Thanks BGF, I'll give that a go. I'll try anything!

Frasier: I said in my post that three lads from my year won the show, two of which are mates of mine.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Wezzo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:09 pm

Nervosa wrote:Dear Diary,

Last day of school today. Annual tallent show "Stars In Their Eyes" was held. As always, hoasted by two pupils and all proceeds going towards the school's "Aid Romania" team. The standard of the acts is usually pretty naff, but this year took the biscuit; they were terrible. But that's not to say everyone didn't have a laugh.

Three lads from my year won the show with their (intended) camp version of a Westlife song. I'm close mates with two of them, so I was pleased for them.

That was my 8th and last S.I.T.E. in school and I was a little disappointed it was quite rubbish.

Ah well, off for Christmas now, so things are okay with me! Dreading starting revision though...I've got a HUGE amount of work to get through. Just can't get motivated to start it....:(

I finished school today as well. We didn't have a talent contest thankfully - although we have in years gone past - but we had the traditional Christmas assembly - an hourful of shitty singing, slutty dancing and patheic attempts at humour from the teachers, while we are seat cross-legged on the hard floor, freezing and with pins and needles in our feet. Talk about overblown bollocks.

Me? Jaded? Nah.
Wezzo

Postby Nervosa » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:14 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Nervosa wrote:Dear Diary,

I finished school today as well. We didn't have a talent contest thankfully - although we have in years gone past - but we had the traditional Christmas assembly - an hourful of shitty singing, slutty dancing and patheic attempts at humour from the teachers, while we are seat cross-legged on the hard floor, freezing and with pins and needles in our feet. Talk about overblown bollocks.
Me? Jaded? Nah.

Hehehe, I haven't had assembly like that since Primary School! I only have assembly once a week and it's in a nice lecture theater with nice seat :mrgreen: Downside is that it's at breaktime.
Nervosa

Postby Wezzo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:18 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Wezzo wrote:I finished school today as well. We didn't have a talent contest thankfully - although we have in years gone past - but we had the traditional Christmas assembly - an hourful of shitty singing, slutty dancing and patheic attempts at humour from the teachers, while we are seat cross-legged on the hard floor, freezing and with pins and needles in our feet. Talk about overblown bollocks.
Me? Jaded? Nah.

Hehehe, I haven't had assembly like that since Primary School! I only have assembly once a week and it's in a nice lecture theater with nice seat :mrgreen: Downside is that it's at breaktime.

Our regular assembly (also once a week) is in a small theatre which is on the school campus, with decent seats; but the Christmas (and Summer) assembly, in order to accomodate more people in one go, is done in the main sports hall. Horrible! Just horrible! :)
Wezzo

Postby Nervosa » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:19 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Nervosa wrote:
Wezzo wrote:I finished school today as well. We didn't have a talent contest thankfully - although we have in years gone past - but we had the traditional Christmas assembly - an hourful of shitty singing, slutty dancing and patheic attempts at humour from the teachers, while we are seat cross-legged on the hard floor, freezing and with pins and needles in our feet. Talk about overblown bollocks.
Me? Jaded? Nah.

Our regular assembly (also once a week) is in a small theatre which is on the school campus, with decent seats; but the Christmas (and Summer) assembly, in order to accomodate more people in one go, is done in the main sports hall. Horrible! Just horrible! :)

...as I start the descent from my high horse... :oops: :lol:
Nervosa

Postby Wezzo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Wezzo wrote:
Nervosa wrote:
Me? Jaded? Nah.

...as I start the descent from my high horse... :oops: :lol:

:lol: Still, our school ain't great, despite the facilities. You can't polish a turd, as the saying goes.
Wezzo

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:26 pm

Wezzo wrote:You can't polish a turd, as the saying goes.

Well, I've polished one. It's positively sparkling now.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:05 pm

Dear Diary,

I haven't done any revision today but will do some after 'Oz and james' big wine adventure' tonight. I promise.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:19 pm

What is needed is a way to make revision fun. If I could come up with a method, and was able to market and sell it, I'd be sure to become a millionaire.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Frasier » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:37 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:Dear Diary,

I haven't done any revision today but will do some after 'Oz and james' big wine adventure' tonight. I promise.

Oz and James' wine adventure? I like that because of wine. Do you like it because of James :lol:
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Frasier » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:38 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:What is needed is a way to make revision fun. If I could come up with a method, and was able to market and sell it, I'd be sure to become a millionaire.

Perhaps you should introduce him the astral project- you could revise from the past masters :wink:
Frasier

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:25 am

Frasier wrote:Perhaps you should introduce him the astral project- you could revise from the past masters :wink:

The trouble is, it can take people ages to learn how to do it. It can take years, for some people.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:25 am

Frasier wrote:

Oz and James' wine adventure? I like that because of wine. Do you like it because of James :lol:

Well, I watched initially because of James May, I'm not even going to try and deny that, but it was really interesting and I'm studying the decrease in popularity of french wines and the increase in popularity of New Worl Wines anyway for my French oral, so to hear a television presenter that I like talking about it is an added bonus!
Sideshow Meg

Postby Frasier » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:47 am

Sideshow Meg wrote:
Frasier wrote:

Well, I watched initially because of James May, I'm not even going to try and deny that, but it was really interesting and I'm studying the decrease in popularity of french wines and the increase in popularity of New Worl Wines anyway for my French oral, so to hear a television presenter that I like talking about it is an added bonus!

Indeed! That's an exciting topic for your French oral exam.

I'm thinking if partaking in some wine courses here in London, in february time... If I have the money! :evil:
Frasier

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:57 am

All my money for the coming months of 2007 has been mentally stored for a laptop for University, two gigs I'm going to already, and some motor shows in the Summer and hopefully, MPH 07 in November.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Frasier » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:02 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:All my money for the coming months of 2007 has been mentally stored for a laptop for University, two gigs I'm going to already, and some motor shows in the Summer and hopefully, MPH 07 in November.

Yeah, I'm still abit mad at england for having tuition fees. Nevertheless, I hope you have enough left over for that lap top :lol:
Last edited by Frasier on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frasier

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:18 pm

Well, I'm starting my fund in January with about £125 from some work I did in November and December and putting in half my pay cheque each month until I can buy one, hopefully before my birthday in April.

I don't think Top-Up fees are going to work very well at all. The government is pouring so much money into funding for poorer students to encourage them to go to University that it's putting other students off.

I don't see why your parents' income should influence your loan, because they're not the ones going to University or using the loan. Subsequently, poorer students get lots of help, wherea avergae middle-call students, whose parents have enough to be comfortable but not enough to be overly-extravagant miss out on loans. Students with rich parents might not even be inclined to give their children any money for University, and therefore they miss out as well.

Too much money is being poured into one end of society and it's unbalancing the other.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Frasier » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:28 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:Well, I'm starting my fund in January with about £125 from some work I did in November and December and putting in half my pay cheque each month until I can buy one, hopefully before my birthday in April.

I don't think Top-Up fees are going to work very well at all. The government is pouring so much money into funding for poorer students to encourage them to go to University that it's putting other students off.

I don't see why your parents' income should influence your loan, because they're not the ones going to University or using the loan. Subsequently, poorer students get lots of help, wherea avergae middle-call students, whose parents have enough to be comfortable but not enough to be overly-extravagant miss out on loans. Students with rich parents might not even be inclined to give their children any money for University, and therefore they miss out as well.

Too much money is being poured into one end of society and it's unbalancing the other.

I may well benefit from that. I'm cought up in a mix of classes. I am of middle class mind, but of working class means. -Thus my desire to go to university is stronger.

So I think I will benefit from the university help, but I do sympathize with the average middle class families for whom it is possibly worst.

Students with rich parents would go to Harrow, Rugby or Eton where the annual cost for full board teaching for a child is over £26,000!

So for them, University probably comes cheaper!

I think parents' incomes is a good indicator of how much one will pay, as one's parents will probably contribute to the university fee.

Its a tough thing, university - financially. But its a necessity if you want a good job.

Thus, I agree and I believe that the government needs some serious reforms on education - as education has become a ticket for work, but not a ticket for knowledge!
Frasier

Postby Nervosa » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:35 pm

£26,000?! :shock: My courses cost around £3000/£4000 per year and I'll be living at home, so not to much damage done to the wallet.
Nervosa

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Eton, Rugby and Harrow aren't Universities though, they're privately run schools.

You have a point about that though Frasier, my parents spend nearly £7000 a year on my school fees at the moment so £3000 is half the cost, but they've told me that whilst they will help me me out, they're not paying my loan for me, which I think is fair.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Frasier » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:14 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:Eton, Rugby and Harrow aren't Universities though, they're privately run schools.

You have a point about that though Frasier, my parents spend nearly £7000 a year on my school fees at the moment so £3000 is half the cost, but they've told me that whilst they will help me me out, they're not paying my loan for me, which I think is fair.

Yeah I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. What I meant to say was that these parents find university much cheaper than the privately-run public schools. Their children then go on to go to oxford and cambridge, etc.

It is fair of your parents. I hope to pay my loan by getting an excellent job-barrister I hope. (even though at first there are financial constraints). Or perhaps even a radio presenter.

Actually if I don't get any university offers, I might take a gap year and try my luck as a trainee in a radio station.
:D

I don't think my parents will be able to help me out financially. The only thing I've asked them to do is to buy me a good laptop before university starts.
Frasier

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:23 pm

Well, I have a part-time job and so am buying my own computer.

I don't think that it's necessarily the truth that if you're privately-educated, you'll automatically go to Oxford or Cambridge, although it does happen. Four of my friends have just been turned down by Oxford after interviews, and we all go to a private girls school, so I don't think a private education is an automatic route in Oxbridge (But then, we've all been told by visiting professors that employers are less impressed by a degree from Oxford or Cambridge nowadays)

There's the big debate over whether you're more advantaged at getting into University if you come from a state school or a private school. I'm not sure what I think about that at the moment.
Sideshow Meg

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion