Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The DVD & Blu-ray Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The DVD & Blu-ray Thread

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Stu wrote:
Wezzo wrote:Not many people here buy discs anymore, but I know at least a couple of us have used Planet Axel in the past, so it's a real shame to find out today that they've gone bankrupt: https://www.planetaxel.com/

Definitely a shame, what turned out to be my last disc from them arrived in the post 2 days ago, so glad it got here OK.

Any other R1 DVD etailer recommendations?

For under-£15 DVDs, Amazon.com of course, and ImportCDs.com and Amazon Marketplace seller All Your Music. For over £15, I've resigned myself to pre-paying VAT from Amazon.com (choosing one of the two faster shipping speeds.. at least that way you avoid the RM £8 handling fee..)
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Stu wrote:
Wezzo wrote:Not many people here buy discs anymore, but I know at least a couple of us have used Planet Axel in the past, so it's a real shame to find out today that they've gone bankrupt: https://www.planetaxel.com/

Definitely a shame, what turned out to be my last disc from them arrived in the post 2 days ago, so glad it got here OK.

Any other R1 DVD etailer recommendations?

For under-£15 DVDs, Amazon.com of course, and ImportCDs.com and Amazon Marketplace seller All Your Music. For over £15, I've resigned myself to pre-paying VAT from Amazon.com (choosing one of the two faster shipping speeds.. at least that way you avoid the RM £8 handling fee..)

Is Wow HD (the old CD Wow) no use for R1 DVDs these days? I haven't used them for a while, but i had quite a few from them in the past. I think i got the bulk of my Frasier R1 sets there back in the day.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Wow's stock of R1's is pretty patchy these days.
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Wezzo wrote:Wow's stock of R1's is pretty patchy these days.

i see. What about PlayUSA?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

They no longer exist! :( Haven't for a couple years..
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

They no longer exist! :( Haven't for a couple years..

Wow, i didn't know they'd closed that arm of the business. Didn't realise it had been that long since i last looked on the site. Did it get dumped when the Rakuten Group bought them?

Looks like Amazon and eBay are the places then. :|

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Wow, i didn't know they'd closed that arm of the business. Didn't realise it had been that long since i last looked on the site. Did it get dumped when the Rakuten Group bought them?

Looks like Amazon and eBay are the places then. :|

Before even that. I think it was late 2010? They weren't selling enough to make it worthwhile anymore, I believe it had only been barely profitable for a couple of years before that too. Importing DVDs has dropped off a cliff, as a hobby, even more than buying locally-produced DVDs. There's still Movietyme and Blubastard, the "personal importers", but they're extortionate and I can't imagine they'll last much longer. There's a few other US sites too - DVDEmpire and DeepDiscount, both OK when there are sales - but the customs thing remains an issue, so you're better off with the more-reliable Amazon.com or one of the major Amazon.co.uk marketplace sellers anyway.
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Wezzo wrote:Before even that. I think it was late 2010? They weren't selling enough to make it worthwhile anymore, I believe it had only been barely profitable for a couple of years before that too. Importing DVDs has dropped off a cliff, as a hobby, even more than buying locally-produced DVDs. There's still Movietyme and Blubastard, the "personal importers", but they're extortionate and I can't imagine they'll last much longer. There's a few other US sites too - DVDEmpire and DeepDiscount, both OK when there are sales - but the customs thing remains an issue, so you're better off with the more-reliable Amazon.com or one of the major Amazon.co.uk marketplace sellers anyway.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that more disc releases are becoming region free anyway? Seems the studio delays in releasing things in different parts of the world at different times is finally being diminished? Of course digital/online releases are helping kill off the need for multi region physical media and their suppliers.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Wezzo wrote:Before even that. I think it was late 2010? They weren't selling enough to make it worthwhile anymore, I believe it had only been barely profitable for a couple of years before that too. Importing DVDs has dropped off a cliff, as a hobby, even more than buying locally-produced DVDs. There's still Movietyme and Blubastard, the "personal importers", but they're extortionate and I can't imagine they'll last much longer. There's a few other US sites too - DVDEmpire and DeepDiscount, both OK when there are sales - but the customs thing remains an issue, so you're better off with the more-reliable Amazon.com or one of the major Amazon.co.uk marketplace sellers anyway.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that more disc releases are becoming region free anyway? Seems the studio delays in releasing things in different parts of the world at different times is finally being diminished? Of course digital/online releases are helping kill off the need for multi region physical media and their suppliers.

Yeah, a lot of studios aren't bothering with region coding on Blu for a lot of releases, which is an interesting move. I guess they've finally begun to wise up to the realities of the physical media marketplace.. I note that the recently-announced Friends Blu-Ray set has subtitles for a dozen-plus EU languages on the US discs (very rare indeed to see Finnish on a North American release), which suggests they might even use the same disc masters worldwide.
Wezzo

Postby Paul B » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:44 am

Wezzo wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

Yeah, a lot of studios aren't bothering with region coding on Blu for a lot of releases, which is an interesting move. I guess they've finally begun to wise up to the realities of the physical media marketplace.. I note that the recently-announced Friends Blu-Ray set has subtitles for a dozen-plus EU languages on the US discs (very rare indeed to see Finnish on a North American release), which suggests they might even use the same disc masters worldwide.

Yep, the Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray set does this. Opens with an American FBI warning and everything.
Paul B

Postby Stu » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Wezzo wrote:

Cool thanks for those, I'll bear them in mind
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Niles: Yes. Can I do that?
Frasier: No, you can't!
Stu
Site Admin

Postby woggle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Mesrine parts 1&2

Robocop

Robocop scared the crap out of me way back when i first saw it , i found it way to violent and one of the most disturbing [ on a same par as Martyrs ] But now im going to re-visit it again before a remake comes out .
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Police Squad - the Complete Series.

Watched Police Academy a couple of nights ago, and I'd forgotten how much the daft humour made me laugh. Police Squad has some of the same silliness to it, really looking forward to seeing it again. :D
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby woggle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 am

Dorset Girl wrote:Police Squad - the Complete Series.

Watched Police Academy a couple of nights ago, and I'd forgotten how much the daft humour made me laugh. Police Squad has some of the same silliness to it, really looking forward to seeing it again. :D

Definatly one of my guilty pleasures :D
woggle

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:26 am

Boss-Season 1

I still haven't seen the last 3 episodes of this so I'm looking forward to watching it.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Bought the film '2012' for a fiver. Looks good.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:09 am

Bought a few older DVDs that I should own.

Blow
Phenomenon
A View to a Kill (only have two more Bond movies to go before I finally own them all)
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Bought the film '2012' for a fiver. Looks good.

Thought that was an ok disaster but thought the day after tomorrow was proberbly better ..it runs on a bit to long for me .

- Brought the french film The assualt
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:03 pm

woggle wrote:

Thought that was an ok disaster but thought the day after tomorrow was proberbly better ..it runs on a bit to long for me .

Is The Day After Tomorrow the one where New York floods, and there's an ice age, or am I thinking of something else?
Dorset Girl

Postby woggle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
woggle wrote:

Is The Day After Tomorrow the one where New York floods, and there's an ice age, or am I thinking of something else?

Yep thats the one with Dennis quaid [ used to have such a crush on him ....lol ] and Jake Gyllenhaal . Only watched 2012 once thou and i have it so i might go back and watch it again .
woggle

Postby woggle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Breaking bad season 1

Finally got round to buying this as so many peeps tell me its absolutly brill.

Rampart
woggle

Postby Lil » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm

woggle wrote:

Agreed.
Lil

Postby woggle » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:17 pm

I knew i shoudn't of gone into the charity shop today 3 dvd's for a fiver so i got -

your highness
21 grams

+ my mate had some dvd's she wanted rid of so i paid a couple o quid and took my pick so i got -

Game of death
Fist of fury
Drunken master
king arther
The art of war [ all of those ive never seen ]

+Under siege and Rumble in the bronx
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:13 pm

woggle wrote:I knew i shoudn't of gone into the charity shop today 3 dvd's for a fiver so i got -

your highness
21 grams

+ my mate had some dvd's she wanted rid of so i paid a couple o quid and took my pick so i got -

Game of death
Fist of fury
Drunken master
king arther

I love Drunken Master. Have you seen many of the early Jackie Chan kung fu movies? If you end up liking DM, you should get Young Master, Snake In the Eagles Shadow and maybe Dragon Lord, Fearless Hyena and Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:I knew i shoudn't of gone into the charity shop today 3 dvd's for a fiver so i got -

your highness
21 grams

Game of death
Fist of fury
Drunken master
king arther

I love Drunken Master. Have you seen many of the early Jackie Chan kung fu movies? If you end up liking DM, you should get Young Master, Snake In the Eagles Shadow and maybe Dragon Lord, Fearless Hyena and Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu.

I javen't seen any of those! lol Rumble in the bronx is the earliest one but im writing those down and if i like DM [ which im sure i will ] i'll proberbly get them all . Is police story another of his or am i confused?
woggle

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion