Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What do you think of suicide?

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: What do you think of suicide?

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:44 pm

insaneasperger wrote:thanks! I have very strange thoughts on suicide and would prob cause some disagreements if I actually posted my thoughts on it. So will stick to songs :D 8-)

Feel free to share, IA - a bit of debate can be good!

Personally, no matter what happens to me, I'd never top myself whilst I have K to look after. But if anything happened to her - I wouldn't want to be on this Earth any more.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:41 pm

I hate the assumption that all people who commit suicide are selfish. I do think that if you have someone who relies on you, like children, then it's horribly unfair on them and it perhaps is selfish to do something like that, especially if you're the only person the child has to rely on.

In most circumstances, I agree with anonymouse in that it's not selfish, you just want the pain to stop.

A close friend of mine was diagnosed with depression early this year and in March she took an overdose of her medication. She's fine now, and after it happened we got a lot closer from it, as it made her find out who her real friends were, but I could not help feeling incredibily guilty after I found out, because she told me about having depression, and I never kept in touch with her as much as I should have, although she said it was no-one's fault. After it happened she got the help she needed in terms of counselling and support, but I think it's sad that it got to that point before she got some help.

In the past I've had thoughts of doing something silly myself when things have gotten particularly bad, but I've never come to the point of doing anything, mainly because I was too frightened and knew how much it'd hurt my mum. Although I will admit that I've self harmed a few times, not in the intention to kill myself, but just to sort of release some of the emotions I had built up - something that I didn't even tell my counsellor, which I regret now. :?

I think suicide is a scary and deeply upsetting thing, but if someone genuinely wants to do it, they'll suceed, and the most upsetting thing of all is the amount of people that actually succeeded that could have been helped. I really think that there should be more support out there for people who are suicidal, the only thing I can think of is the Samaritans, but there really should be more out there. Like Legolas said, despiar is a terrible thing to go through alone.
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:02 pm

!Amz! wrote: the only thing I can think of is the Samaritans

I've phoned The Samaritans a few times, they're brill. An invaluable service.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:07 pm

My best friend, the person who I spent virtually 14 years in the same room as, tried to commit suicide 10 days ago. He cut his wrists and cut his neck and was 1mm away from his jugular. He also took tablets. Luckily his Grandmother's boyfriend found him, the doctors said 10 minutes later and he would no longer be with us. He is now out of hospital and told all his friends on Facebook about it. He said he was bottling everything up for ages. He must've been in really bad place.
welshben23

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:09 pm

So sorry to hear that Ben, thank goodness he was found in time. Let's hope this is a turning point for him, and his life gets better from now onwards.
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:14 pm

welshben23 wrote:My best friend, the person who I spent virtually 14 years in the same room as, tried to commit suicide 10 days ago. He cut his wrists and cut his neck and was 1mm away from his jugular. He also took tablets. Luckily his Grandmother's boyfriend found him, the doctors said 10 minutes later and he would no longer be with us. He is now out of hospital and told all his friends on Facebook about it. He said he was bottling everything up for ages. He must've been in really bad place.

Hope he is ok soon Ben!!!

I have tried to commit suicide before. Obvisously I failed. I try not to bottle things up anymore, but I usually still do.
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby welshben23 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:So sorry to hear that Ben, thank goodness he was found in time. Let's hope this is a turning point for him, and his life gets better from now onwards.

He posted this on FB "I'm back for good now and stronger than ever! So here's to a new start..ITS ONWARDS AND UPWARDS FROM HERE FOR ME NOW THAT IS A PROMISE." So hopefully this is a turning point yes.
welshben23

Postby !Amz! » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I've phoned The Samaritans a few times, they're brill. An invaluable service.

I spoke to a lady from them at the volunteers fair at uni and they sound like a brilliant organisation. I'm thinking of volunteering with them next year as it's only up the road from me and it'll help with my counselling studies. What I like about them is that they say they don't give advice, they're just there to listen, and that's what most people need.

So sorry to hear about your friend, Ben. Incredibly lucky he was found in time by the sounds of things. From what you said about his FB post it seems like he's keen to start fresh so like you said, it's hopefully a turning point for him.
!Amz!

Postby welshben23 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:24 pm

!Amz! wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:I've phoned The Samaritans a few times, they're brill. An invaluable service.

I spoke to a lady from them at the volunteers fair at uni and they sound like a brilliant organisation. I'm thinking of volunteering with them next year as it's only up the road from me and it'll help with my counselling studies. What I like about them is that they say they don't give advice, they're just there to listen, and that's what most people need.

So sorry to hear about your friend, Ben. Incredibly lucky he was found in time by the sounds of things. From what you said about his FB post it seems like he's keen to start fresh so like you said, it's hopefully a turning point for him.

Definitely. His Grandmother's boyfriend had never been to his house before and just happened to pop in at that time. It was very, very lucky.
welshben23

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:24 pm

!Amz! wrote:I spoke to a lady from them at the volunteers fair at uni and they sound like a brilliant organisation. I'm thinking of volunteering with them next year as it's only up the road from me and it'll help with my counselling studies. What I like about them is that they say they don't give advice, they're just there to listen, and that's what most people need.

The Psychology students in Swansea used to run a similar system for students, called 'Nightline' - open from 8pm - 8am. My housemate was a volunteer. She got a few weirdos phoning up, but most of the calls were genuine. Obviously, she never told us details, but the service was very well used.
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:24 pm

I think that'd be a worry of mine, I wouldn't really know how to handle it if someone particularly bad phoned up. A worry I'd have would be if someone phoned up and they were drunk or something and were threatening to kill themselves and I just wouldn't be able to calm them down and they'd hang up - if that happened that would haunt me for sometime. I doubt that'd ever happen, but if I worked for them it'd be a concern of mine. They do a long training process though so I think you'd be trained up well enough to be able to deal with (or at least cope better with) really distressing calls, and from what they told me you have a supervisor of some sort you can discuss any of the calls that upset you with.

If something like that was ran at my uni, I'd definitely be up for working on it. I think any night helpline would be well used with a lot of people.
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 pm

I think they have a policy of not telling people not to commit suicide, if that makes sense. That's something I would find difficult, as it would be my natural instinct to tell them not to.
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Mine too, I think any sort of helpline like that is just there to listen with the idea of letting out your emotions rather than giving advice to people. Although I'd imagine they must get calls where they're asked "what should I do?" now and again. In counselling we're told to say back them "what do you think you should do?" but I can imagine a lot of people would find that quite frustrating.
!Amz!

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I think they have a policy of not telling people not to commit suicide, if that makes sense. That's something I would find difficult, as it would be my natural instinct to tell them not to.

:twisted: In this day and age that's probably because they will be able to sue your ass for advising them to live, therfore prolonging the distrss caused by living :roll:

I wonder if there have been any legal cases yet where a samaritan (or someone of their elk) have been sued for not being able to stop someone killing themselves?

I remember when I was with St John's Ambulance (many moons ago) that they said that you can be sued if you tried to save someone and they died in your care.
That makes me VERY cynical about what i'd do if I saw someone choking to death.

As for suicide, it's different things to different people at different points in their lives.
Sometimes it can seem damn attractive, even the only sane thing to do, but I think that given time, the vast majority of survivors look back and are relieved that it didn't work.

I agree that a lot of suicide attempts are cries for help, not that it makes it any less serious, but I also think that a lot of people survive because of lack of experience.Let's face it, it's not something many people have very many tries at.
I think a lot of suicide attempts are more spare of the moment things, a result of how the person is feeling at that moment, rather than something that is well planned out, and I think it's that lack of planning and preperation that makes the attempt fail, not the resolve on the suicidee (is that a word?because if not, i'm going to copyright it tomorrow).
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby tubalcain » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:So sorry to hear that Ben, thank goodness he was found in time. Let's hope this is a turning point for him, and his life gets better from now onwards.

He posted this on FB "I'm back for good now and stronger than ever! So here's to a new start..ITS ONWARDS AND UPWARDS FROM HERE FOR ME NOW THAT IS A PROMISE." So hopefully this is a turning point yes.

Hmm.I'd say that was proof of suicidal thoughts and attempts as being a mindset;once there very difficult to break that thought or intent.The flipside being his mindset has now changed to the positive and with the help and support he will never return to that place.The difficulty is not opening up in the first instance.Very tough to do it alone.Good luck to him. :)
tubalcain

Postby barnaclelapse » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:15 am

I've committed suicide a whole bunch of times. It just makes my stupid feet itchy.
barnaclelapse

Postby Forever Jung » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:57 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:I've committed suicide a whole bunch of times. It just makes my stupid feet itchy.

:twisted: Well, while the bad taste bear is in...................

Did you hear about the bloke who hung himself from a beam using a piece of bungee rope?

They found him unconcscious with 48 bumps on his head.

I'm glad to hear your friend is feeling better, Ben, but keep an eye on him.
I'm not sure that peoiple go from that low to that high that quickly.

I might be wrong of course, but you've nothing to loose in being cautious.
Forever Jung

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Forever Jung wrote: :twisted: Well, while the bad taste bear is in...................

Did you hear about the bloke who hung himself from a beam using a piece of bungee rope?

:lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Hans the German Butler » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Like the ice cream seller found prone in the back of his van covered in sherbet, hundreds and thousands and strawberry syrup. Police believe he'd topped himself. :)
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby welshben23 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:23 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
barnaclelapse wrote:I've committed suicide a whole bunch of times. It just makes my stupid feet itchy.

:twisted: Well, while the bad taste bear is in...................

I'm glad to hear your friend is feeling better, Ben, but keep an eye on him.
I'm not sure that peoiple go from that low to that high that quickly.

I might be wrong of course, but you've nothing to loose in being cautious

Thanks FJ. What puzzles me is the fact that he's gone on a lads holiday to Salou today. :?
welshben23

Postby Forever Jung » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:27 pm

welshben23 wrote:Thanks FJ. What puzzles me is the fact that he's gone on a lads holiday to Salou today. :?

:twisted: Strange.
Perhaps he realised how close he came and it's given him a new perspective on life?
I really hope so.

I think it would be an idea for those around him to keep a close (but discreet) eye on him for a little while to make sure this isn't part of what he's going through.
Forever Jung

Postby tenpercenter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:18 am

its seems like an option at times but no way anyone should do it
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby barnaclelapse » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm a drinker and smoker, so you could probably make the argument that I'm into the very, very, very passive, drawn-out suicide.
barnaclelapse

Postby Ramona » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:18 pm

I think it's selfish.
Wouldn't want to do it to my family.
"So you've found me. Congratulations"
Ramona

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:33 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:I'm a drinker and smoker, so you could probably make the argument that I'm into the very, very, very passive, drawn-out suicide.

:twisted: I'm a smoker and I always refere to smoking as commiting suicide on the instalment plan.
Forever Jung

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion