Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The TV Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The TV Thread

Postby Hawkspur » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:30 am

Wyokie wrote:
Hawkspur wrote:The most budget-restricted set I have ever seen was used in the TV series Cadfael. I can't remember what episode it was, but one scene in particular had scenery obviously made from a few sheets of ply. I couldn't watch it.
There isn't a smiley for cringing is there?

I never heard of it. Then again, I'm in the U.S. so....LOL

Was it shown in New Zealand only?

Ha ha nope. It was a UK series based on the Cadfael series of books by Ellis Peters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadfael
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108717/
Hawkspur

Postby Hawkspur » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:37 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Wow i've never heard anybody say they were disappointed when they saw that battle on Game Of Thrones. I loved it.

There were about 30 soldiers fighting. The stuff with the ships was impressive, but we thought the battle on the land was lame. But then again, we were expecting some sort of Lord of the Rings doomsday bloodshed thing, so no wonder we were disappointed :P.

:D

I guess there's £100-£150 million difference between the budgets for those? I never really noticed/counted how many people were involved in the land/castle battles. It just seemed like lots, through filming tricks and nonsense. They shot it incredibly well to make the most of their budget. For a tv show, it was impressive.

S2 is currently repeating on Sky Atlantic in the run up to S3, so i'll have another close watch of that particular episode.

At the other extreme, I have to say I find the movies with "Massive" mediaeval-equivalent battle scenes OTT. (Excuse the pun!) I can't help thinking about the supply lines required, and the lines of communication getting completely screwed up. The numbers used in some scenes, eg.TLOTR are just silly.
Just because you can generate it doesn't mean you should.
Hawkspur

Postby woggle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:35 pm

I never watched Cheers but caught the end of an ep the other day Lillith was trying to seduce Sam in a hotel room and it was really funny , then Frasier turned up and i couldn't believe how slim he looked :shock: :D
woggle

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:23 pm

woggle wrote:I never watched Cheers but caught the end of an ep the other day Lillith was trying to seduce Sam in a hotel room and it was really funny , then Frasier turned up and i couldn't believe how slim he looked :shock: :D

You need to watch the episode where Frasier and Lilith appear on a talk show panel together. It's called Abnormal Psychology and it's in season 5.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:16 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
woggle wrote:I never watched Cheers but caught the end of an ep the other day Lillith was trying to seduce Sam in a hotel room and it was really funny , then Frasier turned up and i couldn't believe how slim he looked :shock: :D

You need to watch the episode where Frasier and Lilith appear on a talk show panel together. It's called Abnormal Psychology and it's in season 5.

Coool, cheers im gonna see if i can find it on youtube somewhere :D

- food glorious food

Programme where they go round the uk are trying to find a home recipie that M&S will put on their shelves ...been really good so far but really all it shows is how eccentric people of the uk really are! lol
woggle

Postby woggle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Bluestone 42

New series on bbc3 , its a comedy based on a bomb squad in Afganistan but im not sure im supposed to be finding it funny right now i mean it is but its the subject matter thats to iffy for me right now . Maybe i'll find it in a few years or so .
woggle

Postby Forever Jung » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:27 pm

:twisted: Enojoyed the end of Being Human, even though the only time I could watch it was after work and a few beers.
Shame to see it go :(
A good replacement was In The Flesh.
Watched the first ep last night and it looks pretty good so far.

I might be reading too much into this, but..................

Spoiler: show
Ricky Tomlinson being so vocal in his hatred of victimes of Partially Deceased Syndrome (I love that phrase :lol: :lol: :lol: ) while he himself was hiding his zombie wife was sort of reminicent of certain nazis.
Some, including Reinhard Heydrich, (head of the RSHA, and not a very nice man at all) seemed to have their hatred of jews spout from some sort of suspicion that them themselves had some jewish blood. Weather it was others who made those claims against them, or the people in question who suspected themselves of being not quite kosher (or a little too kosher as the case may be).
It seems that they were such enthusiastic anti semites because nobody would suspect such a zealous hater of jews as being one.
In some cases it was actually a case of guilt and self hatred.

As I say, I might be reading too much into that, but it rang true to me.

I look forward to seeing the story develope.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby woggle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Theres a drama tv show on later this week called Boss it has Kelsey's innit has anyone seen it? and is it any good ? lol
woggle

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:53 am

woggle wrote:Theres a drama tv show on later this week called Boss it has Kelsey's innit has anyone seen it? and is it any good ? lol

I've watched all that has aired. Apparently that is all there is going to be which makes me sad. Kelsey is absolutely amazing in it. His character is dark and evil and scary! The storyline is pretty good but it does get a bit far fetched at times.
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:10 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
woggle wrote:Theres a drama tv show on later this week called Boss it has Kelsey's innit has anyone seen it? and is it any good ? lol

I've watched all that has aired. Apparently that is all there is going to be which makes me sad. Kelsey is absolutely amazing in it. His character is dark and evil and scary! The storyline is pretty good but it does get a bit far fetched at times.

I hate that , you just get into a series and they pull the plug!! i almost brought Trauma the first season on dvd tother day till i found out that was it ...whats the point ?!

That sounds like something i definatly have to see thou ...gonna watch it on iplayer at the weekend ...gonna be real strange watching Kelsey be all dark and scary ..lol
woggle

Postby ouroboros » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Just started The Good Wife season one again. Had forgotten how good it is. I have seen most of season one but a long time ago so I'm giving it a re run to get up to speed before seasons one and two.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:09 pm

ouroboros wrote:Just started The Good Wife season one again. Had forgotten how good it is. I have seen most of season one but a long time ago so I'm giving it a re run to get up to speed before seasons one and two.

I watched the first season and the some of the second one and then I lost track. I really liked the show so not sure why I stopped watching. Might have to get back at that. f
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:06 pm

The challenger

I watched this one off episode that followed the findings of prof Feyman who was in the commission to find out whot happed to the challenger rocket that blew up and killed all those poor astronaughts ...it was really interesting and im glad i caught it .
woggle

Postby Roverman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:40 pm

woggle wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

I hate that , you just get into a series and they pull the plug!! i almost brought Trauma the first season on dvd tother day till i found out that was it ...whats the point ?!

That sounds like something i definatly have to see thou ...gonna watch it on iplayer at the weekend ...gonna be real strange watching Kelsey be all dark and scary ..lol

Its had 2 series/seasons made of it and screened in the US. Here in the UK More4 has just started screening the first episode. I watched it, and I liked it but like others have said its odd seeing KG being dark and nasty and conniving. I would have thought though any show where the main character has a terminal illness would not have a long run.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Ariel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 pm

Any other Burn Notice fans?
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:49 pm

woggle wrote:Bluestone 42

New series on bbc3 , its a comedy based on a bomb squad in Afganistan but im not sure im supposed to be finding it funny right now i mean it is but its the subject matter thats to iffy for me right now . Maybe i'll find it in a few years or so .

Seen the first three eps of that. It's ok. Hit and miss. The subject and setting doesn't particularly bother me.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Ariel wrote:Any other Burn Notice fans?

I am! :thumbright: Good fun! Great cast.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Four episodes into S3 of Game Of Thrones, and it's shaping up pretty well. Loved that ending with
Daenerys getting her unsullied army together and then revealing her cards and laying waste to the city
. And old
Theon and Jaime
aren't doing too well at the moment

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Four episodes into S3 of Game Of Thrones, and it's shaping up pretty well. Loved that ending with
Daenerys getting her unsullied army together and then revealing her cards and laying waste to the city
. And old
Theon and Jaime
aren't doing too well at the moment

Totally agree with you M.C. The Dany scenes at the end were awesome. I actually find myself feeling a bit badly for Jaime. I know I shouldn't but I can't seem to help myself. Theon not so much.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Been catching up with a load of shows.

Arrow S1: 7/10
Didn't like it at all to begin with, but stuck with it and - while still plenty of flaws - have warmed a little to it.

Beauty And The Beast S1: 5/10
Always going to be a fan of Kristin Kreuk but i struggle with this sloppy show.

The Following S1 Ep10-14: 3/10
Two eps to go and i can finally stop. I must be a masochist to stick with this to the end of the season.

Treme S3 Ep01-04 - 8/10
Still a show i just like to let dive into and let wash over me. Actually seems to have more of a main plotline developing this year.

The New Normal S1 Ep 1-15: 6/10
Funny at times but more often cringeworthy

Grimm S1: 6.5/10 + S2: 6.5/10
Ok. Watchable without ever really blowing me away.

Elementary S1 Ep1-19: 8/10
Very enjoyable interpretation of Sherlock Holmes. Liking Johnny Lee Miller's twitchy portrayal. Does as a replacement for Tim Roth in the cancelled Lie To Me.

Bones S8 1-17: 6/10
Still watchable for the cast, but too much ropey woo-inspired episodes infiltrating this season.

Dallas S2 Ep1-13: 7/10
Everyone's a sociopath in this show, but it's damn good, crazy, fun.

666 Park Avenue S1 Ep1-10: 7/10
Started off slow, but developed quite nicely into an intriguing little mystery. Interested enough to see how they end the show.

Touch S2 Ep1-3 - 6/10
Continues to be flawed yet mesmerising listening to Sutherland's atonal voice guide us through each episode.

Blue Bloods S3 Ep1-21: 6/10
Can't quite put my finger on what keeps me watching, outside of Tom Selleck, but keep with it i do.

Suits S2: 8/10
Enjoyable ensemble keeps it worth watching. Harvey's a good character, but Louis is great when he's not simply the pantomime villain.

Anybody been watching Revolution? Sky decided the show was time-restricted in their on-demand service so have wiped the first few episodes from my box before i had a chance to watch it. is it worth me getting hold of the eps to catch up with? Aside from it being another JJ Abrams effort, it's intrigued for me is to see Giancarlo Esposito leading in a role.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 pm

After watching the latest episode of Mad Men and checking out the IMDb message boards, I have concluded that many of those people are not watching the same show I am. And some of those people are dumber than a box of rocks. How could you possibly be alive and of an age where you know things (I was alive but I was only 4 so I don't really remember stuff) and not have known who Martin Luther King, Jr. was? Some of these people are saying they didn't know who he was and their parents didn't know who he was. Unless you lived in a cave or out in the middle of nowhere with no human contact, I don't know how that is even possible. The march on Washington and his "I Have a Dream" speech were all over the nightly news.

Anyway.....Mad Men-The Flood 8/10

I quite liked it and the scenes between Don and Bobby were great.
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:59 pm

The united states of prinetime 1&2

I think theres 4 of theese hour long doc's about primetime us tv . The first was about Dads then saturdays was about misfits ...quite a funny look at some of the best tv characters there are.
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:35 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:After watching the latest episode of Mad Men and checking out the IMDb message boards, I have concluded that many of those people are not watching the same show I am. And some of those people are dumber than a box of rocks. How could you possibly be alive and of an age where you know things (I was alive but I was only 4 so I don't really remember stuff) and not have known who Martin Luther King, Jr. was? Some of these people are saying they didn't know who he was and their parents didn't know who he was. Unless you lived in a cave or out in the middle of nowhere with no human contact, I don't know how that is even possible. The march on Washington and his "I Have a Dream" speech were all over the nightly news.

Nothing like that surprises me any more. Reminds me of the news around twitter last year where a whole bunch of people were shocked and amazed to find out that the sinking of the Titanic was an actual real historical event and not just a movie plot :lol:
http://laughingsquid.com/twitter-learns-the-titanic-was-not-just-a-movie/

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:36 pm

woggle wrote:The united states of prinetime 1&2

I think theres 4 of theese hour long doc's about primetime us tv . The first was about Dads then saturdays was about misfits ...quite a funny look at some of the best tv characters there are.

Yeah, i've caught those first two. Been pretty good so far.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Been catching up with a load of shows.

Arrow S1: 7/10
Didn't like it at all to begin with, but stuck with it and - while still plenty of flaws - have warmed a little to it.

Touch S2 Ep1-3 - 6/10
Continues to be flawed yet mesmerising listening to Sutherland's atonal voice guide us through each episode.

Blue Bloods S3 Ep1-21: 6/10
Can't quite put my finger on what keeps me watching, outside of Tom Selleck, but keep with it i do.

I gave up on Arrow quite a while ago, I just thought it was really boring. Watched the 1st episode of S2 of Touch and gave up on that too :D I am still enjoying Blue Bloods and I'm glad it's been renewed for a 4th season.
welshben23

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion