Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The TV Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The TV Thread

Postby Paul B » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:52 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I read the book of the aired season right after it airs so I'll start reading the third book shortly.

Totally agree with you about Cat and the way she was portrayed by Fairley. I was glad in a way though that she ended up where she did. Having thought all of her sons and her husband were dead (obviously unaware that Bran and Rickon are still alive) I cannot imagine how she ever would have been able to go on in life.

Keep in mind season 3 is only half of book 3, so you might end up spoiling future things for yourself.
Paul B

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 am

I'll only read half of it. :lol:

Seriously though, I know the 3rd book is crazy long. I'll read as far as the Red Wedding and wait for the next season.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Paul B » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am

Game of Thrones - "Mhysa" 8.5/10

Like previous finales, this one acted like more of a coda, wrapping up loose ends and setting the stage for the next season. It succeeded in that respect, and I liked that there were a few glimmers of hope after the horrific events of the red wedding. The music at the end was quite beautiful.
Paul B

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Paul B wrote:Game of Thrones - "Mhysa" 8.5/10

Like previous finales, this one acted like more of a coda, wrapping up loose ends and setting the stage for the next season. It succeeded in that respect, and I liked that there were a few glimmers of hope after the horrific events of the red wedding. The music at the end was quite beautiful.

Season 3 ended in style. Having the penultimate episode of a season serve as the finale seems to be a bit of a HBO trademark, doesn't it?

Can't wait for Season 4 (I think this third season has probably been the strongest so far). It's going to take me a year to recover from the Red Wedding. As you both say, so cruel and cold, but really keeps you on your toes as a viewer and makes you realise that nothing is certain in this show.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Paul B » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Didn't know you watched, Cakey! I'd agree that this season was probably the strongest - having had 29 episodes in a row to watch, the wait until next year is going to be agonising.

The red wedding is still giving me nightmares just thinking about it. Don't think I've ever been quite so impacted by a TV show before.
Paul B

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Paul B wrote:Didn't know you watched, Cakey! I'd agree that this season was probably the strongest - having had 29 episodes in a row to watch, the wait until next year is going to be agonising.

The red wedding is still giving me nightmares just thinking about it. Don't think I've ever been quite so impacted by a TV show before.

Yep, big fan! Such a big fan I've even got a GoT 'House Stark' T-shirt. :)

And I know what you mean. Emotionally, I'm sure there have been moments of television that have knocked me harder, but for sheer shock value, the Wedding is probably the most disturbing scene I can recall. It was the casual way in which it occurred that got to me. The build-up, that false sense of security, the music... eugh, just horrible. Did you know that Robb's pregnant bride wasn't involved in that scene in the novel? Her brutal butchering was added as part of the adaptation.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

Tidy end to the season. Nice coverage of the story strands for setting up S4, to compliment the mayhem of the previous, shocking, episode.

I don't know anything about where the storyline heads in the books but, watching the drama unfold, i get the impression that some of the leading female characters will come out on top by the end of the saga (Arya, Daenerys, even Sansa). I hope so. Of course, further leftfield turn of events could see that shot down in flames.

Whatever happens, i sure look forward to the day that Joffrey gets his :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:53 pm

The returned ep 1 - 4/5

Bit slow and very mysterious but i rellaly wanna know the story so will defo keep up with this one .
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Finally got round to watching Lilyhammer S1. Great little Norwegian/American show. Steven Van Zandt is good value with a loose reprisal of his Silvio role. And the fish out of water premise gives it that Northern Exposure vibe. I look forward to more.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:21 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Finally got round to watching Lilyhammer S1. Great little Norwegian/American show. Steven Van Zandt is good value with a loose reprisal of his Silvio role. And the fish out of water premise gives it that Northern Exposure vibe. I look forward to more.

Yeah, I really liked the first season of that, too. Watched it all in a day over Christmas. As you say, it reminded me of Northern Exposure quite a bit, and it proved a pleasantly light watch, more amusing than I'd anticipated. Fun show, Van Zandt is great in it.
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:11 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Finally got round to watching Lilyhammer S1. Great little Norwegian/American show. Steven Van Zandt is good value with a loose reprisal of his Silvio role. And the fish out of water premise gives it that Northern Exposure vibe. I look forward to more.

Yeah, I really liked the first season of that, too. Watched it all in a day over Christmas. As you say, it reminded me of Northern Exposure quite a bit, and it proved a pleasantly light watch, more amusing than I'd anticipated. Fun show, Van Zandt is great in it.

Knew you'd have seen it! ;) It says on the show's Wiki page that SVZ was missing the Australasian leg of the Springsteen tour to shoot the next season.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Wezzo wrote:

Knew you'd have seen it! ;) It says on the show's Wiki page that SVZ was missing the Australasian leg of the Springsteen tour to shoot the next season.

Ha, quite - of all the things to bring me out my lurker shell, it had to be something Boss-related :D And yeah, I heard at the time that that disappointed some fans. I'm seeing Bruce live on Thursday at Coventry, SVZ should be present and correct there luckily :)
Wezzo

Postby woggle » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:12 pm

^^ Might give that series a go!!

Halfway thru season 2 of breaking bad .

O..M..G i just wish i wasn't eating my tea during one ep which ended in a
Spoiler: show
bomb and Danny Trejo severed head on a live turtle
..lol may never get that image out of my head. Excellent tv series thou when im finished im gonna go get season 3!!
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Writers Guild of America 101 Best Written TV Series

Wouldn't necessarily agree with the list as a whole - but who would, really? Irrespective of personal tastes for ordering and entries, a good many excellent shows are listed.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Paul B » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:46 am

James Gandolfini dies, age 51

Damn. Great actor from a truly iconic series. Way too young. He'll be missed.
Paul B

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:58 am

Paul B wrote:James Gandolfini dies, age 51

Damn. Great actor from a truly iconic series. Way too young. He'll be missed.

Shocking that. Had only just heard while having The Sopranos on tv in the background. What a pity :(

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:00 am

Totally bummed about James Gandolfini. Even though he will mostly be remembered for playing one of the most iconic characters in TV history (and he was very, very good at it) he had talents far beyond Tony Soprano.

Another one gone too young.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Very sad news about James Gandolfini. Gone far too young! He will be remembered for playing one of the greatest characters in TV history, but like Cat says his talents stretched far beyond The Sopranos. He was great in True Romance I thought. Tragic.
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Wezzo wrote:I'm seeing Bruce live on Thursday at Coventry, SVZ should be present and correct there luckily :)

One of the managers where my missus works went to that. Hope you enjoyed it! :thumbright:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:14 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Wezzo wrote:I'm seeing Bruce live on Thursday at Coventry, SVZ should be present and correct there luckily :)

One of the managers where my missus works went to that. Hope you enjoyed it! :thumbright:

Aye, was a great gig! :)
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Just watched the series finale for Touch. Not the best show, but not too bad an ending to what was likely a hastily rewritten season once they knew they were gone.

Any Brits watching Dates on Channel4? Been a decent little series so far.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wyokie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:38 pm

I watched, on DVD, Fawlty Towers the other day. Classic series. John Cleese is a British national treasure.

One thing bothers me. Why only 6 episodes for the first series in 1975 and another 6 episodes only in 1979? I'm just used to seeing a classic series have at least 24 episodes for a season.
Wyokie

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:04 am

Wyokie wrote:I watched, on DVD, Fawlty Towers the other day. Classic series. John Cleese is a British national treasure.

One thing bothers me. Why only 6 episodes for the first series in 1975 and another 6 episodes only in 1979? I'm just used to seeing a classic series have at least 24 episodes for a season.

That's Cleese's decision in the main, although it's a common trend for BBC sitcoms to run 6-8 episodes per year (not so much the four-year gap between seasons :D). Budgetary limitations in the main.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wyokie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:45 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Wyokie wrote:I watched, on DVD, Fawlty Towers the other day. Classic series. John Cleese is a British national treasure.

That's Cleese's decision in the main, although it's a common trend for BBC sitcoms to run 6-8 episodes per year (not so much the four-year gap between seasons :D). Budgetary limitations in the main.

Never heard of that term before (the bold). Then again, I never been to Europe so....LOL

Thanks for the info.

Cleese was great as the sheriff in Silverado (1985). He can do dramatic roles well.

You can tell Fawlty Towers influenced American sitcoms in a big way.
Wyokie

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Wyokie wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

Never heard of that term before (the bold). Then again, I never been to Europe so....LOL

:D Apologies for the subconscious colloquialism. Didn't even realise i'd used it twice.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+the+main

Thanks for the info.

Cleese was great as the sheriff in Silverado (1985). He can do dramatic roles well.

You can tell Fawlty Towers influenced American sitcoms in a big way.

Yes, i think he did. He certainly influenced a whole bunch of Brit ones = including a number who bowed out after two seasons of 6 eps just because he had :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion