Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The TV Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The TV Thread

Postby Wezzo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:21 am

I know I've long been renowned for my grade inflation, but if that gobsmacking episode of Breaking Bad isn't worthy of the old A++, what is?
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:39 pm

I'll be amazed if that episode doesn't sweep the board for TV awards.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Dexter-Remember the Monsters

Thank god it's out of it's misery! Just too many stupid things that make no sense for this to be a good finale. The season was terrible and this didn't redeem it one bit.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:23 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Dexter-Remember the Monsters

Thank god it's out of it's misery! Just too many stupid things that make no sense for this to be a good finale. The season was terrible and this didn't redeem it one bit.

Yeah, that
Spoiler: show
Lumberjack Dexter
scene could become a meme for bad endings to shows. :D Pity the writers screwed up a show that was so well led by Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter. 5/10

In stark contrast, i think Breaking Bad reached a satisfactory conclusion. It didn't do anything spectacular or flashy, just tied up all the loose ends as needed. I'd say the real finale for Walt was a couple of episodes back with the outstanding Ozymandias episode. The remaining couple of eps did their job in rounding off the story just nicely. 9/10

It's no major stretch of the imagination for me to place Breaking Bad up there as my favourite ever tv drama series. It's going to take something incredibly special to dislodge it.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Paul B » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:17 am

Yeah, nothing particularly show-stopping happened in BB's series finale, but it was a very satisfying conclusion to the series. In a way this and the preceding episode felt more like the epilogue to the stunning Ozymandias, but that's no bad thing. Everything was wrapped up in a neat and tidy fashion, but it still managed to subvert my expectations. Would definitely rank it high amongst my very favourite dramas. Shows like this don't come along very often.

As for Dexter, I recently picked that back up on Netflix and am even struggling to get through the third season. It'll be a long time before I reach the finale, and from the feedback I've encountered online I guess there's no hurry.
Paul B

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Sounds like you were a bit disappointed in the finale Paul.

I would rank it right up there with the best. Probably my second favorite of any series finale ever. (the first is Six Feet Under's Everyone's Waiting and mostly due to the last 10 minutes of that). I thought Felina was superb from start to finish.
While I certainly expected Walt to die, I did not expect it like that. Alone with the one thing he loved more than anything else. And his finally being honest with Skyler was one of the best scenes of the series.
It was perfect for me.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Paul B » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:14 pm

I wasn't disappointed, I guess I just expected it to floor me like previous episodes did. It was still an excellent finale, no doubt about that.
Paul B

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 pm

I loved the finale. So many shows get it wrong, usually by trying to do something spectacular or quirky clever. Breaking Bad dotted the 'i's and crossed the 't's for all the major story threads that were up in the air.

And everyone must have jumped when
those red pointer lights appeared on Gretchen and Elliot
. :D I also loved how he
admitted to Skylar his love for the life he'd built for himself - that he was actually doing it all for himself rather than his family
. Loved his
machine gun play on the Nazis to free Jesse
, loved how
Jesse finally ignored Walt's orders by refusing to kill him
, and found it perfectly appropriate where
Walt finally dropped down dead alone amongst the meth lab equipment

It was certainly a lower key episode than many in the run, but i can't imagine a better, more fitting, closure.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:34 am

I loved the Breaking Bad finale, too. The final song was a wonderful choice. Definitely one for my top five shows, and one of my favourite final episodes as well.
Wezzo

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Wezzo wrote:I loved the Breaking Bad finale, too. The final song was a wonderful choice. Definitely one for my top five shows, and one of my favourite final episodes as well.

There were people on IMDb complaining about Baby Blue. Pretty sure none of them actually listened to the words of that song. It was absolute perfection.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Decent opening ep for S3 of Homeland. Hope they can keep it up for a strong season.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Paul B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:15 am

Just watched the pilot episode of that. I rejiggered my PS3 to get the Canadian Netflix and thought, what the hell. It was a very impressive pilot - an intriguing concept with two quality leads. I'll keep watching for sure.
Paul B

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:41 pm

You up to date with the latest season of Sons Of Anarchy, Cat? What you making of it so far?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:You up to date with the latest season of Sons Of Anarchy, Cat? What you making of it so far?

Jax is an idiot but other than that, I'm kind of enjoying this season so far. Now that
Bobby is back in the fold
I'm really looking forward to seeing what is going to happen. I continue to fear Nero is going to be dead soon though and that will bum me out because Jimmy Smits is so awesome in that role.

Jax is going to completely freak when he finds out what Tara is up to. That should be interesting.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:24 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:You up to date with the latest season of Sons Of Anarchy, Cat? What you making of it so far?

Jax is an idiot but other than that, I'm kind of enjoying this season so far. Now that
Bobby is back in the fold
I'm really looking forward to seeing what is going to happen. I continue to fear Nero is going to be dead soon though and that will bum me out because Jimmy Smits is so awesome in that role.

Jax is going to completely freak when he finds out what Tara is up to. That should be interesting.

Yeah, the last three eps, in particular, have been very decent. I think it needed the kick off with the
Irish
to spark the season, as i was wondering where it was going at the beginning. Definitely glad to see
Bobby back in the fold. Well played misdirection with him, even though it's taken almost half a season to see him back properly.

I was a bit disappointed to see 'filthy Phil'
shot and chopped up by the Irish

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:27 am

Under The Dome S1 - 2/10

In spite of the 'golden age' for quality US television drama, Under the Dome proves there is still a lucrative market share for shit drama to be churned out. It's got to be the most terribly written, badly acted, insanely illogical show on air, and i watched The Following.

Shame on Stephen King for having anything to do with this dross. I've not read the book, but i have to assume it's not the garbage presented here. He has to take responsibility for being an exec producer of the show, though. And who the hell thought it needed to be renewed to stretch out the paper thin story for a further season!? :shock:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Paul B » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:14 am

Ouch. I quite enjoyed the book but held off on the show after seeing the negative reviews. Looks like I was right to do it.
Paul B

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:36 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Under The Dome S1 - 2/10

In spite of the 'golden age' for quality US television drama, Under the Dome proves there is still a lucrative market share for shit drama to be churned out. It's got to be the most terribly written, badly acted, insanely illogical show on air, and i watched The Following.

Shame on Stephen King for having anything to do with this dross. I've not read the book, but i have to assume it's not the garbage presented here. He has to take responsibility for being an exec producer of the show, though. And who the hell thought it needed to be renewed to stretch out the paper thin story for a further season!? :shock:

Glad I didn't bother with it.
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:27 am

I probably wouldn't give it 2/10, but I agree with M-C. It's so stupidly illogical it's unbelieveable.
welshben23

Postby ouroboros » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Anybody here watch The Good Wife?

Realise I may have to use spoiler covers to talk about it, but thought the latest Season 5 episode 'Hitting The Fan' was fantastic.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Paul B wrote:Ouch. I quite enjoyed the book but held off on the show after seeing the negative reviews. Looks like I was right to do it.

CatNamedRudy wrote:Glad I didn't bother with it.

welshben23 wrote:I probably wouldn't give it 2/10, but I agree with M-C. It's so stupidly illogical it's unbelieveable.

To be fair, i was dumb enough to watch the whole season. It was a bit like car crash television. You couldn't help looking :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 pm

ouroboros wrote:Anybody here watch The Good Wife?

Realise I may have to use spoiler covers to talk about it, but thought the latest Season 5 episode 'Hitting The Fan' was fantastic.

I haven't seen the past couple of seasons. Always thought it was a decent enough show, though.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Paul B wrote:Ouch. I quite enjoyed the book but held off on the show after seeing the negative reviews. Looks like I was right to do it.

CatNamedRudy wrote:Glad I didn't bother with it.

welshben23 wrote:I probably wouldn't give it 2/10, but I agree with M-C. It's so stupidly illogical it's unbelieveable.

To be fair, i was dumb enough to watch the whole season. It was a bit like car crash television. You couldn't help looking :lol:

I've just watched the episodes from the last 2 weeks on Channel 5. I now agree with your 2/10 grade. Yeurrch!
welshben23

Postby ouroboros » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
ouroboros wrote:Anybody here watch The Good Wife?

I haven't seen the past couple of seasons. Always thought it was a decent enough show, though.

Its probably my all time favourite show now. I'm hooked.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby ouroboros » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:41 pm

Criminal Minds 9/10

Absolutely adore this show. Can't get enough of it. It doesn't quite get a 10/10 as it is definitely a bit hammy sometimes, has some questionable representations of mental health issues and often glosses over and doesn't give enough air time to what could make for well developed darker story lines i.e.
Reid's drug addiction

However it is supremely enjoyable and entertaining and I adore all of the characters.

I'm on a rerun through it as I tailed off at Season 6 last time, not through lack of enjoyment it just happened. So I am currently mid way through Season 5, looking forward to finishing off my box set which ends at Season 7, have pre ordered Season 8 and will be catching up with Season 9 via other mediums as it airs in The States each week.

Favourite episodes to date:

Season 1 - Won't get fooled again (9/10)
Season 2 - Revelations (9/10)
Season 3 - Elephants Memory (9/10)
Season 4 - Demonology (8/10)
Season 4 - Amplification (9/10)
Season 5 - 100 (10/10)
Season 5 - The Uncanny Valley (8/10)
ouroboros

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion