Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The TV Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The TV Thread

Postby Wyokie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:35 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Wyokie wrote:I love BBT. Mainly because of Penny (Kaley Cuoco). I hate the relationship between Sheldon & Amy. Feel bad for Rajesh. Can't talk to pretty girls without getting drunk first. :roll:

I like Cuoco, too. Great in '8 Simple Rules...'

The original set up of Penny and the boys was a good dynamic. I guess they had to develop it throughout the seasons, and i still think it's a funny show, but it kind of defeated the point of the show to have them all find girlfriends (even a crazy ass 'relationship' like Sheldon and Amy's). So many sitcoms default into a sort of 'Friends' mode as they go along.

crazy assed? I think I have to be drunk outta my mind whenever they have a scene together by themselves. Those two makes my head hurt.
Wyokie

Postby woggle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:I try not to laugh at The big Bang theory bit I caught an ep the other day [ found out ] it was called The Proton Resurgence with Mr Proton and I could ...not ...stop laughing . Is it that good from the beginning ? if it is I may have to start looking out for the dvd's!

I like the show. I'd watch it from the beginning. I'd say the earlier seasons are better in some ways, as the writer's didn't feel the need to have all the characters paired off into relationships.

I shall make it my mission to catch up with it from the start , not much choice really as there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of decent sitcoms around at the mo . No Frasier :( friends or will and grace any more so i'll defo give this one a decent go .
woggle

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:30 pm

I adore Sheldon and Amy's relationship. Definitely my favorite relationship of the group. This is actually one show where I don't mind the pairings because they actually have them doing things separately. Some of my favorite scenes are those with just the three girls. (Penny, Amy and Bernie).
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Wyokie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:39 pm

My big hope is that the writers will get Penny to wear a sexy bikini once. 'Cept Howard would have a heart attack from it and he's married to Bernie!
Wyokie

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:27 pm

woggle wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:I try not to laugh at The big Bang theory bit I caught an ep the other day [ found out ] it was called The Proton Resurgence with Mr Proton and I could ...not ...stop laughing . Is it that good from the beginning ? if it is I may have to start looking out for the dvd's!

I like the show. I'd watch it from the beginning. I'd say the earlier seasons are better in some ways, as the writer's didn't feel the need to have all the characters paired off into relationships.

I shall make it my mission to catch up with it from the start , not much choice really as there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of decent sitcoms around at the mo . No Frasier :( friends or will and grace any more so i'll defo give this one a decent go .

Have you watched any of the following: The Middle, Modern Family, Raising Hope, Parks And Recreation, Community, Louie, Nurse Jackie, Girls, Wilfred, Veep, New Girl, Don't Trust The B In Apartment 23?
I'd say there's something amongst those that'll take your fancy.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Breaking Bad 5x09: Blood Money - 9.5/10
Well that's hit the ground running. What an episode to kick off the home run! I think Dexter could take a few lessons in how to set up a final season.

Dexter 8x06: A Little reflection - 7/10
Some nice moments, especially the very end, but the season's a little all over the place so far.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Paul B » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Breaking Bad - "Blood Money"

Yep, a great return. This is the first time I've had to wait a week between episodes so it's gonna be a bitch.

Spoiler: show
I'm so glad they decided to get things out in the open at the end. A lesser show would've dragged it out for ages.
Paul B

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:16 am

Paul B wrote:Breaking Bad - "Blood Money"

Yep, a great return. This is the first time I've had to wait a week between episodes so it's gonna be a bitch.

I'm so glad they decided to get things out in the open at the end. A lesser show would've dragged it out for ages.

Agree.
The confrontation between Hank and Walt at the end was great
. Really looking forward to seeing how this all pans out. Tread lightly.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:49 am

Anyone here still watching Falling Skies? I'm struggling my way through S3 at the moment. Can't say i'm caring too much for it. I can't follow the 'logic' of the characters any more.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Anyone here still watching Falling Skies? I'm struggling my way through S3 at the moment. Can't say i'm caring too much for it. I can't follow the 'logic' of the characters any more.

My DVR never recorded the 3rd season and by the time I knew it returned, it was almost over. I haven't had a huge desire to try and catch up. I'm more concerned about where my next episode of Dexter is coming from these days.
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Breaking Bad 5x09: Blood Money - 9.5/10
Well that's hit the ground running. What an episode to kick off the home run! I think Dexter could take a few lessons in how to set up a final season.

Dexter 8x06: A Little reflection - 7/10
Some nice moments, especially the very end, but the season's a little all over the place so far.

Yup I saw this sun night , have to say Hannah coming back made it a bit more watchable .
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:40 am

Dexter 8x07: Dress Code - 6.5/10
Dexter 8x08: Are We There Yet? - 5.5/10
I hope there's a big pay-off coming to round off this show as, at the moment, it's still all over the place. The final season's pretty much become self-parody. :(

Breaking Bad 5x10: Buried - 9/10
Breaking Bad 5x11: Confessions - 9.5/10
That latest episode was amazing. Loved
the scene in the restaurant, and the crafty video confession
. Guess we now know what happened to Walter's house :lol:

No comparison between these two excellent show's reaching their natural conclusion in the next few weeks.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:02 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Dexter 8x07: Dress Code - 6.5/10
Dexter 8x08: Are We There Yet? - 5.5/10
I hope there's a big pay-off coming to round off this show as, at the moment, it's still all over the place. The final season's pretty much become self-parody. :(

Breaking Bad 5x10: Buried - 9/10
Breaking Bad 5x11: Confessions - 9.5/10
That latest episode was amazing. Loved
the scene in the restaurant, and the crafty video confession
. Guess we now know what happened to Walter's house :lol:

No comparison between these two excellent show's reaching their natural conclusion in the next few weeks.

I've missed a couple of Dexters (my friend didn't email me the links and I didn't have time to go get them myself). I should be caught up in the next couple of days.

Totally loved the last episode of Breaking Bad although I admit, I was confused as to how Jesse made that connection about the ricin. I've had it explained to me but I still don't think it's really feasible that he would figure out Walt's convoluted way of getting him try to kill Gus but I'm not going to let that take away from the episode as a whole. I LOVED the confession. Totally did not see that coming.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am

Dexter 8x09: Make Your Own Kind Of Music - 4/10
So awful, i don't really know where to start. Remember when Dexter was meticulously methodical in his approach to his target?

Breaking Bad 5x12: Rabid Dog - 8.5/10
Some great moments again. Loved the low angle shot of Walt stood in his house as the camera slowly pulled back in the corridor. Very atmospheric.

Under The Dome 1x01-03 - 6/10
Started out with much promise. Decent pilot but a couple of dull follow ups. Too much seemingly irrelevant crap getting in the way of what i'd consider the most important thing that should be occupying the minds of the townsfolk. :D Haven't read the Stephen King book to compare, but i'm assuming many of the secondary plots are tv network meddlings. Has (had?) potential.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:29 am

All caught up on Dexter (finally got Showtime back) and up to date on Breaking Bad.

I actually didn't mind Make Your Own Kind of Music as much as some of the other episodes this season. It was a twist I actually did not expect.

Loved Rabid Dog. It got a lot of hate on the message boards. People thought it was boring and had no purpose. I think those people weren't paying attention!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:40 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:All caught up on Dexter (finally got Showtime back) and up to date on Breaking Bad.

I actually didn't mind Make Your Own Kind of Music as much as some of the other episodes this season. It was a twist I actually did not expect.

Excellent. I take it your cable company sorted out their problems with Sho?

CatNamedRudy wrote:Loved Rabid Dog. It got a lot of hate on the message boards. People thought it was boring and had no purpose. I think those people weren't paying attention!

Terrific episode. Probably should have been a 9/10 but it's probably copped some collateral damage from a bunch of grumpy low ratings i've given to other shows this past week - 8.5 was a comparatively massive score! I'm loving Dean Norris at the moment. Not a single person is avoiding being dragged down by their part in Walter's life.

Surprised to hear it was piled on. All the regular review sites i follow for the show rated it highly. I'm amazed at this stage of its run that there are viewers who'll complain that 'nothing happened' in an episode. I agree with you that they simply can't be paying attention to the details! :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:45 am

Yep. Time Warner and CBS (who owns Showtime) made nice. Unfortunately, in my city, Time Warner is also in a snit with the local NBC affiliate which means I can only watch Sunday Night Football online.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Breaking Bad 5x13: To'hajiilee - 9.5/10
:shock: What an ending! Can't see how
Hank
gets out of this situation.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:59 pm

I liked the episode but I thought the shootout was a little ridiculous. I really expected
Hank to get killed sniper style
when he was just standing there out in the open talking on the phone.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:46 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I liked the episode but I thought the shootout was a little ridiculous. I really expected
Hank to get killed sniper style
when he was just standing there out in the open talking on the phone.

Oh yes, it was completely over the top. Appeared to be a nod to Gilligan's love of spaghetti westerns. Definitely the worst example of marksmanship i can think of since the old A-Team tv show :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Roverman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:50 am

I've recently been watching an old UK made TV Programme called 'Second Thoughts' that was originally screened in the early 1990s on ITV.

The link below will tell you more about it if you've never heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Thoughts_%28TV_series%29

The basic premise is about a pair of divorcees who decide to become a couple and bring all their baggage together, Bill has a manipulative ex-wife, Liza, who is slim, glamorous but very histrionic. Faith has two teenage children and a dog. Bill is often left feeling bottom of the list!

What is very interesting about this programme, is the decision taken by the writers (real life couple Jan Etherington and Gavin Petrie) for the main female characters (Faith and Liza) to never actually meet until the final episode in the fifth and final series (season), during the timeline of the show they speak on the telephone and the children meet Liza quite early on, but because Faith and Liza don't meet for 5 years they end up imaging the other to be some kind of High Maintenance Dragon (Liza by Faith) and Mrs Suburbia (Faith by Liza).

This plot device reminded me of the ones used in Cheers where we never really meet Vera and Frasier where much is said about Maris but she's never actually seen by the audience.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Roverman wrote:I've recently been watching an old UK made TV Programme called 'Second Thoughts' that was originally screened in the early 1990s on ITV.

The link below will tell you more about it if you've never heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Thoughts_%28TV_series%29

The basic premise is about a pair of divorcees who decide to become a couple and bring all their baggage together, Bill has a manipulative ex-wife, Liza, who is slim, glamorous but very histrionic. Faith has two teenage children and a dog. Bill is often left feeling bottom of the list!

What is very interesting about this programme, is the decision taken by the writers (real life couple Jan Etherington and Gavin Petrie) for the main female characters (Faith and Liza) to never actually meet until the final episode in the fifth and final series (season), during the timeline of the show they speak on the telephone and the children meet Liza quite early on, but because Faith and Liza don't meet for 5 years they end up imaging the other to be some kind of High Maintenance Dragon (Liza by Faith) and Mrs Suburbia (Faith by Liza).

This plot device reminded me of the ones used in Cheers where we never really meet Vera and Frasier where much is said about Maris but she's never actually seen by the audience.

Haven't seen that for years. Wouldn't have remembered anything like that about it - all i remember is a sequel, after James Bolam decided to pack it in, called Faith In The Future.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Breaking Bad 5x14: Ozymandias - 10/10
They did what they had to do, and the pay off was fantastic. Can opened, worms everywhere.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Roverman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Yeah the sequel seemed a bit 'Tesco Value' to me. Faith changed jobs completely she sold her house and bought a flat (that suspiciously looked a lot like the house!!) the son made 1 appearance in 3 years!

I have to confess I didn't notice the plot device until I read about it. Then it made sense! Its the sort of thing you aren't expected to notice straight away.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:49 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Breaking Bad 5x14: Ozymandias - 10/10
They did what they had to do, and the pay off was fantastic. Can opened, worms everywhere.

Wow.Just.Wow! That's all I can say. That episode was one of the best hours of TV I've seen in a while!
CatNamedRudy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion