Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

John Lennon - 25 years...

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

John Lennon - 25 years...

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:40 pm

Seeing that it will soon be exactly 25 years since John Lennon was tragically taken from us, I thought I'd start this thread. I think there are a few Beatles/John Lennon fans here...

Anyway, I plan to watch the "I Killed John Lennon" programme on Channel 4 on Thursday 8th December (the 25th anniversary of John's death.) The word "anniversary" doesn't really sound right to me; anniversaries are usually happy occasions, so when used in connection with a murder, it doesn't sound right to me. I know quite a lot of you here disagree with Alison Graham's views about Frasier going downhill after its third season (as do I), but I must say, I wholeheartedly agree with what she says about killer Mark Chapman on page 36 of this week's "Radio Times" - one quote that comes to mind is "Chapman's torrent of whiny, narcissistic self-justification."

I sometimes wonder what John Lennon would be doing now, if he were alive. Would he still be in New York? Would he still be making music? Would he be in the public eye?

It's just interesting to wonder once in a while.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Janey » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:45 pm

I was married on December 9, 1979. On the morning of December 9, 1980, my first wedding anniversary, I got up and turned on the radio in the kitchen while making breakfast. The first thing I heard was "John Lennon was murdered late last night...."

What a way to "celebrate" my first anniversary. I can't tell you how many people I saw crying on the subway on my way to work that day. What's the song that starts with bells dinging at the beginning? Is it "Woman"? Anyway, it had just been released and was getting a lot of airplay that month...made me sad all over again every time it came on the radio.

I can't believe it's been 25 years.
Janey

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:48 pm

That would be "(Just Like) Starting Over" Janey, which was in the charts when John was murdered.

I think he would most certainly still be in the public eye BGF, with plenty to say about Tony Blair, George Bush and the war in Iraq, no doubt!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Jocelyn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:57 pm

Very interesting story, Janey. Do you live anywhere near the Dakota apartment?

I for one won't be watching the Chapman whingefest, not even out of curiosity. I've been listening to a lot of Lennon's solo work in the past week, now that Yoko Ono's finally got around to remixing the remaining albums of his back catalogue. I'd forgotten what a great album 'Walls And Bridges' is.
Jocelyn

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:49 am

"Starting Over" - that's it. Thanks, BN. I still can't hear that song without getting emotional.

No, I don't live anywhere near the Dakota, Jocelyn. At the time I lived in Queens and worked in the Seagram's Building, which you may have seen in the movies "The Out of Towners" (the original with Jack Lemmon, not the remake) and "Baby Boom". Now I'm on Long Island. I have seen the Dakota, though. It's quite a beautiful building. It's featured prominently in a wonderful novel, "Time and Again" by Jack Finney.

Postby Janey » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:58 am

Sorry, that was me, Janey. (BTW - I wish I did live near the Dakota...I would have to be quite wealthy to do so!)
Janey

Postby Jocelyn » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:50 pm

Yes, I'm sure the Dakota apartments must be very spacious for John Lennon to have lived there. His previous English home at Ascot was pretty enormous if the 'Imagine' video was anything to go by! I think the most poignant song from the 'Double Fantasy' album would have to be 'Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)', the lyrics seem all the more tragic given the events that occured a few months after he recorded it.
Jocelyn

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:18 pm

I won't be watching the Mark Chapman documentary either because there is no way that I am going to pay on ounce of notice to such a narcissistic, attention-seeking cold blooded killer.

John Lennon died nine and a half years before I was even born but I pretty much grew up listening to The Beatles and when you hear such amazing songs like 'Imagine', I always feel a sense of loss, of something I never even really had.

Postby Kris » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:20 pm

I feel quite annoyed that Channel 4 are giving Chapman publicity on a day like this - they should be ashamed of themselves. :x
Kris

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:52 pm

Anonymous wrote:I won't be watching the Mark Chapman documentary either because there is no way that I am going to pay on ounce of notice to such a narcissistic, attention-seeking cold blooded killer.

John Lennon died nine and a half years before I was even born but I pretty much grew up listening to The Beatles and when you hear such amazing songs like 'Imagine', I always feel a sense of loss, of something I never even really had.

Sorry that was me. My computer didn't log me in properly.

Kris wrote:I feel quite annoyed that Channel 4 are giving Chapman publicity on a day like this - they should be ashamed of themselves.

I completely agree. Why should he get any sort of twisted credit for what he did?
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:37 am

Yeah, I understand what you guys are saying, but my Dad and I did watch it. It was kind of creepy in some places. The word "narcissistic" is certainly appropriate in Mark Chapman's case. A psychologist who was interviewed said that from reading the transcripts of the interviews he made, it was all about himself - all "I, I, I."

I did think it was interesting, though. Chapman was clearly a very disturbed man. It seems his motive for killing John was just to gain recognition, and in some way, I think he believed himself as another version as the hero of "The Catcher in The Rye", Holden Caulfield. I'm never going to be able to read that book now.

But I bet John's having fun. He's probably jamming with Elvis right now.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Ali 75 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:23 am

My mum lives near to where JL used to live, and although I'm not really a big fan of The Beatles, I do like a lot of John's solo stuff - '#9 Dream' is one of the most beautiful songs ever written IMO. I've read some articles over the last week about his murder and it made a shiver run up my spine, I was only very young but I do remember my parents reaction and some of the news reports at the time.

I caught some of the C4 programme tonight, BGF is so right, what a self obsessed freak Chapman is :roll: .
Ali 75

Postby Sideshow Meg » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:05 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:Yeah, I understand what you guys are saying, but my Dad and I did watch it. It was kind of creepy in some places. The word "narcissistic" is certainly appropriate in Mark Chapman's case. A psychologist who was interviewed said that from reading the transcripts of the interviews he made, it was all about himself - all "I, I, I."

I did think it was interesting, though. Chapman was clearly a very disturbed man. It seems his motive for killing John was just to gain recognition, and in some way, I think he believed himself as another version as the hero of "The Catcher in The Rye", Holden Caulfield. I'm never going to be able to read that book now.

But I bet John's having fun. He's probably jamming with Elvis right now.

I watched the first 20 minutes or so. I didn't want to and hated myself for doing so. I felt sick after watching and turned off, listened to 'Imagine' for the 18th time and cried a little bit.

It just proved to me how self-obsessed and twisted Mark Chapman is, but also how much of a legend John Lennon was and always will be and that is the most important thing.

I tried reading 'Catcher in the rye' a few months ago but then I read a post by you BGF that informed me of the fact that Mark Chapman identified with the hero, so I immediately took it back to the library. I can see where the identification with Holden Caulfield came from, doesn't make it any better though.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Re: John Lennon - 25 years...

Postby tenpercenter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 pm

legend
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby tenpercenter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:25 am

the first true rock star

yes there was elvis but id consider him more of an entertainment star
john was a true music star
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:58 pm

tenpercenter wrote:the first true rock star

In later life, maybe, but in his earlier Sun years he was a bonafide rock star. Elvis is definitely the original rock star in my eyes. Lennon also became a giant though.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
tenpercenter wrote:the first true rock star

In later life, maybe, but in his earlier Sun years he was a bonafide rock star. Elvis is definitely the original rock star in my eyes. Lennon also became a giant though.

Absolutely!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:12 pm

:twisted: To quote a line from The Commitments...............

"Everything's shite now Roy Orbison's dead".

:mrgreen:

I think The Beatles, and JL in particular, started to take themselves much too seriously.
They were a rock n roll group, and what they were good at were throwing out songs you could sing along with and dance to.
I still don't know who the fuck the eggman is supposed to be :shock: :lol:
Saw Her Standing There, Twist & Shout, From Me To You, those were the kind of songs that made The Beatles. 8-)

I've met people who said they don't like The Beatles, but like a few other artists (the names that come to mind right away are Elvis and cliff Richard) they have done so much work and have such a vast back catolouge, it's virtually impossible to say that anyone can dislike every song they've ever done.
Hell, I hate Oasis with a passion, but they've done one song I don't mind listening too (the information never leaves this forum, right? :lol: )

As for John's solo stuff, he's done a few good tunes (Whatever Gets You Through The Night, Jealous Guy, Stand By Me) but i've nothing enough to grip me.

As a person, I can't say I like the guy.
I saw the program made about him with Christopher Eccelson playing him, and I know that these things take certain liberties (you want to see the differences between Meat Loaf's life and the film To Hell And Back) he come off looking like a complete and utter twat.

His political standpoint of give peace a chance is always somethig that's wound me up the wrong way.
It's not that I have anything against peace (I rather like it) but if we were to disband our army, flog our airforce, recycle our navy, we'd be a prime target for the next loony who wanted to take over the world.Hair Peace wouldn't get much enthusiasm from the inside of a gaulag.
If it's something every man woman and child would get behind all at the same time, i'd say hell yeah, but I don't see that being very likely.

Anyway, the dude gave a significant contribution to the world of rock n roll.
That should be his legacy.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: To quote a line from The Commitments...............

"Everything's shite now Roy Orbison's dead".

:D I bastardised that quote the day Johnny Cash passed away.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Moon-Crane wrote: :D I bastardised that quote the day Johnny Cash passed away.

:twisted: Johnny used to live next door to Roy.

That's one barbecue I would have loved to have been at 8-)
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote: :D I bastardised that quote the day Johnny Cash passed away.

:twisted: Johnny used to live next door to Roy.

That's one barbecue I would have loved to have been at 8-)

Imagine a night out with all the Sun Records guys when they were on tour together :bounce:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Return to Off Topic Discussion