Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Favourite Simpsons Episode?

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Favourite Simpsons Episode?

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:21 am

I know we have a few Simpsons fans on here, so I thought it would be good for everyone to list their favourite episode of this wonderful show and maybe discuss what you liked about it so much. I know there have been Simpsons threads in the past but I think they were pretty non-specific. Anyway, my favourite episode from the 400 or so available (there must be approaching 400 now?) is:-

Homer The Heretic

This was the first episode that I saw so it will always hold a special place in my affections. Needless to say, it hooked me straight away. I adore the 'perfect day' Homer enjoys due to missing church, especially when the political debate is interrupted for a football game! I also loved the waffle wrapped around a whole block of butter (on a cocktail stick! [:]:-))[/:]) which Homer prepares for breakfast. There were so many highlights in this ep its hard to name them all. It cracked me up when Ned and his kids tried to convert Homer back to the faith, especially when Todd refers to Homer as 'the heathen'! The episode is wonderfully brought to a conclusion when Homer's rescued from the fire, but instead of some horrible 'sentimental' ending we have the truly hilarious scene in which Homer thanks Ned for saving his life and Ned says "Well, you'd have done the same for me!" after which Homer visualises Ned trapped in a burning house whilst he enjoys a can of Duff in a hammock outside! [:]:-))[/:] Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Another favourite of mine is 'Homer vs. Patty & Selma', which contains one of my favourite scenes when Homer has to take his chauffeur's licence with Patti and Selma:-

Selma: Ooh, seat belt twisted, minus one point.
Homer: Nagging the driver, minus ten points for you!
Patty: Grazed a cone, minus five points!
Homer: Being a jerk, minus a million points!

[:]:-))[/:][:]:-))[/:][:]:-))[/:]
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Re: Favourite Simpsons Episode?

Postby Shoryuken » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:51 pm

The one where Homer is made police chief always makes me smile - the last one in season 13, entitled 'Poppas Got A Brand New Badge'.

Theres all sorts in it, including Chief Wiggum getting fired after getting caught playing pinyata with a shotgun, and a hilarious sendup of the opening credits of The Sopranos. The only bad side is the ending, which seems a little too 'out there'.

Theres loads more that I love too, but thats the first one that came to mind, I'll add to this list when I think of more.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best (1946-2005)
Shoryuken

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:17 pm

Flaming Moes: It has the brilliant Aerosmith doing voices and has a hilarious Cheers parody, including a spin on the theme. Needless to say, I love it.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Stratman » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:41 pm

You beat me too it. [:]:-)[/:]

Flaming Moe's: Aside from the 'Cheers' theme song parody, ''Diane'', and Aerosmith, it features a a fantastic story as well as Homer's fantasticly funny ''Moe'' hallucination. It represents the absolute pinnacle of comedy writing and is my all time favourite episode of any comedy series.

Saturdays Of Thunder This episode, which features some great parodies including the Ben Hur chariot race scene, and my all time favourite McBaine scene which ends with the classic 'Mendozah' line, delivers on all fronts. It is fantasticly funny, yet it still rings true emotionally. Interestingly, this episode is followed by 'Flaming Moe's', and is written by 'Cheers' alumni's Ken Levine and David Isaacks. Season 3, which features both episodes is, in my mind, the greatest single season of comedy of all time.

Post Edited (03-11-05 16:23)
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:04 pm

My favourite Simpsons episode would probably be Caoe Feare from Season 5, and I'm not just saying that because it has Kelsey Grammer in it as Sideshow Bob. It was the first episode I ever saw (several years before I'd seen Frasier) and I just found it really funny.

Another episode that I really enjoy is Bart Sells His Soul from Season 7
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Stratman » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:25 pm

I love the I.Ron.Butterfly parody. Brilliant. [:]:-))[/:]
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:30 pm

'Flaming Moe's' has been mentioned a couple of times, its one of my favourites too.

Does anyone know which Simpsons episode features the bar from Cheers and I think the voices of Ted Danson, Woody Harrelson and George Wendt. I seem to remember Norm being an unpleasant, aggressive drunk instead of the loveable character we all know, which was obviously a typical 'Simpsons' piece of reality checking.

I also really enjoy Bart Vs Australia, which contained some hilarious moments (Homer hopping between 'America' and 'Australia' leaps to mind, and is slightly reminiscent of Niles' trouble/safe scene from 'Daphne's Room'). I also loved the incredulity from the shop assistant enquiring what the name was for the Bullfrog - "That's a funny name - I'd have called it a Chuzwozza!" [:]:-))[/:]

I love Cape Feare as well Cakey. The famous 'rake' scene left me cold I'm afraid, but I adored Sideshow Bob's musical staging of HMS Pinnifore for Bart's last request:- "I shall send you to heaven, before I send you to hell!" I also loved Homer's thoughtfulness when he burst in on Bart asking what he thought of his new Hockey mask and chainsaw! [:]:-))[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:26 am

I've been watching some of the newer episode on Sky One over the past year or so - and I think there are showing Season 16 or possibly 17 at the moments, and I just don't think there anywhere near as good as it used to be. Its still very enjoyable and I always make an effort to watch but does anyone else think the show has gone downhill a little bit?

I love Flaming Moe's too

Who's everyone's favourite character? Mine would be Chief Wiggum
Cake for Brains

Postby Stratman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:13 pm

The cast of 'Cheers' reprise their roles in episode 2F08, 'Fear Of Flying'. Kelsey Grammer's schedule prevented him from appearing, which was a shame.
Stratman

Postby FrasierNut84 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:51 pm

I like The Brother From Another Series

Its a take-off of Frasier with Sideshow Bob (KG) and his sycotic brother Cecil (DHP) its really funny, Cecil has the same apartment as Frasier, they talk about wine and Maris is mentioned[:]NUT[/:]
Checkmate Schwarzkopf!- Chess Pains

Goodbye Frasier, Goodbye emergency Frasier
FrasierNut84

Postby Jocelyn » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:21 pm

This is a difficult question to answer to say the least as I have many many many favourite episodes. I'm surprised you don't find the rake-stepping scene from 'Cape Feare' funny, BN! What makes me laugh so much about the sequence is the sheer listlessness with which Bob goes from rake to another (that and the fact they obviously used the exact same recording of Kelsey groaning each time[:]:-))[/:]).

I guess when it comes down to it my favourite would have to be the Season 6/7 two-parter Who Shot Mr Burns?. An absolute masterpiece of cinematic proportions that is genuinely dramatic and suspenseful and yet also consistently hilarious throughout. I really enjoyed listening to the writer's commentary for part one on the S6 DVD as they give away a lot of clues buried in the episode which I'd never realised before.

I also laughed at the commentary for 'Bart Vs. Australia' when the writers said they did their research by studying Monty Python's 'Bruces' sketch! Okay, they were probably joking but it would certainly explain the episode's ludicrous stereotypes[:]:-}[/:]

One odd thing I only just noticed is that on the hilarious episode 'A Star Is Burns', for some reason Matt Groening's name has been removed from both the opening and closing credits. The 'Created By Matt Groening' credit doesn't appear at the start and the usual credit which follows just reads 'Developed By James L. Brooks, Sam Simon' and then underneath there's a slight smudge where Matt Groening's name usually appears! This is also one of a couple of episodes for which Groening doesn't appear on the commentary track so maybe he had some issues with the episode. I can't think why as I think it's one of the funniest of the season (especially Hans Moleman's film 'Man Getting Hit By A Football'[:]:-}[/:]).

I was lucky enough to meet Nancy Cartwright on her booksigning tour in 2000 and she actually spoke to me in Bart's voice! Not worthy![:]:-))[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Sideshow Meg » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:07 pm

I love in 'A Star is Burns' where Patty and Selma say:

We think that the way to increase our tourism is leach off the popularity, which is why we are proposing we change our name from Spingfield to Seinfeld (Theme plays)

I love it
Sideshow Meg

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:58 pm

Quote from Stratman:- "The cast of 'Cheers' reprise their roles in episode 2F08, 'Fear Of Flying'"

Thanks for that, I never would have found it otherwise!

Quote from Frasiernut:- "I like The Brother From Another Series"

Yes, it was a fun episode (especially for all us Frasier nuts!) but I did feel it was merely cashing in on Frasier's huge popularity at the time (I think it was shown just after Frasier scooped its record 5th consecutive 'Best Comedy' Emmy, although I stand to be corrected on that). There are better Sideshow Bob episodes, IMO.

Quote from Cakey:-"Its still very enjoyable and I always make an effort to watch but does anyone else think the show has gone downhill a little bit? Who's everyone's favourite character? Mine would be Chief Wiggum"

I think most fans would acknowledge the show has gone downhill since it's early-mid 90's heyday, but it's obviously still good enough to be re-commissioned year after year. Personally I hope it keeps going for a good while yet! The brilliance of The Simpsons is not only a strong set of core characters but the huge array of incidental/supporting characters which light up the show. Personally I loved all the characters Phil Hartman voiced (Troy McClure ; Lionel Hutz ; Lyle Langley), I think when he died in 1998 the show lost something. Other favourites would have to include Krusty, Chief Wiggum and Moe.

Quote from Jocelyn:-"I'm surprised you don't find the rake-stepping scene from 'Cape Feare' funny, BN!"

I heard some reviewer describe that scene as being funny for the first couple of rakes, then unfunny for the next 3, then hysterically funny for the rest! Personally I found the first couple amusing, then it quickly became boring. I wasn't surprised to discover that scene was extended merely to fill out the running time (they only originally intended one rake-step, I believe). It's a great episode but that's the least funny scene in it for me, I've never understood why fans rate it so highly!

That's a cracking choice as favourite ep, Jocelyn. Personally I think the second part is far superior to the first, and contains laughs a-plenty (particularly Moe's lie detector scene in which he has to be increasingly honest about the seedy/lonely nature of the evening he has planned [:]:-}[/:])

Another Jocelyn quote:-"I was lucky enough to meet Nancy Cartwright on her booksigning tour in 2000 and she actually spoke to me in Bart's voice! Not worthy!"

Bloody hell, our 'Friend to the stars' Jocelyn has met another 20/21st century icon! Is there no end to your celebrity hob-nobbing? A sleepy London suburb indeed, you're obviously slap bang in the middle of Tinseltown UK!!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:54 pm

I'm in agreeance with BN. The Rake scene got old very quick. David Mirkin mentioned that it was funny for the first few rakes, then unfunny for the next few rakes, then hysterically funny for the rest.

Check out this Simpsons site.

<http://nohomers.net/index.php?>

It was mentioned on the season 6 commentaties. Amazingly, Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein make regular appearances there.

(Post edited to make link clickable - BN)
Stratman

Postby Jocelyn » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:56 pm

Well BN, I did have to travel to Oxford Street to meet NC (or 'Nancy' to quote Niles in 'Head Game'[:]:-))[/:]). It was great though, before the signing she actually performed many of her characters, including Bart, Ralph Wiggum, Nelson Muntz ('Ha-ha!') and whichever of the creepy Flanders kids she plays (either Rod or Todd).

I really enjoyed David Mirkin on the commentaries, Strat. He's a really funny guy and for a showrunner seems hilariously disrespectful about everything[:]:-))[/:]

I think my favourite character might be Lionel Hutz. Just the worst lawyer ever and yet Homer always hires him just because he cheap (in every sense of the word[:]:-}[/:]). I agree BN, something went out of the show with the tragic death of Phil Hartman[:]:-([/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby FrasierNut84 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:26 pm

Eddie also has a mention in The Simpsons aswell , dont know what episode but Jasper says that he wants to get home as the dog from Frasier was on the TV[:]NUT[/:]
Checkmate Schwarzkopf!- Chess Pains

Goodbye Frasier, Goodbye emergency Frasier
FrasierNut84

Postby Stratman » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:06 pm

I also love David Mirkin's commentaries. He's really funny and interesting. And he always sounds so cheerful. [:]:-)[/:]
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:18 pm

That's a good link Strat, it has an 'official' feel to it with Bill & Josh holding Q&A's.

Glad to hear you're a fellow fan of Lionel Hutz Jocelyn. I quite liked the character they used to replace LH when Phil Hartman died, namely Gil the salesman. He was nowhere near as amusing as Lionel Hutz, but he did have that same desperate quality! They appeared together in Gil's first episode when Marge became a real estate agent (selling Flanders the murder house![:]:-}[/:]) and I immediately recognized 'Gil' as the character played by Jack Lemmon in one of my favourite films - Glengarry Glen Ross.

I loved it when Homer and Marge steal the hot air balloon Gil was living in and Gil cries "NO! I only had one payment left on that hotplate!" [:]:-))[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:27 pm

I have question related to The Simpsons;

If anyone has ever seen or owns the VHS video of The Simpsons: Raiders of the Lost Fridge, there is a montage of clips at the beginning called 'Homer Simpson's Guide to Weight Management' which is a humerous step-by-step guide telling you the best ways to loose weight. One of the clips is Homer eating a gigantic sandwich, and I would love to know which episode its from, because I'm convinced I've never seen it before.

A quote from this sandwich episode is when Marge and Homer are in bed, and Marge asks Homer to throw out the sandwich and he says:
'I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment'
Cake for Brains

Postby Shoryuken » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:44 am

CfB - its this one. It (the sandwich thing) all starts with a company do, where the guys dont even make a dent in a 10-foot hogie. Homer promises to give it a good home, and does, however refuses to throw it out even when its all mouldy and keeps making him seriously ill, until Marge makes him throw it out..
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best (1946-2005)
Shoryuken

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:34 pm

I remember that. It put me off sandwhiches for a while.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Stratman » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:34 pm

Homer's giant hogie appears in episode 9F11, 'Selma's Choice'. One of my favourite parts of that episode is the ode to Jim Morrison when Lisa proclaims that ''she is the lizard queen''. [:]:-))[/:]
Stratman

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:35 pm

I like The Brother From Another Series

Its a take-off of Frasier with Sideshow Bob (KG) and his sycotic brother Cecil (DHP) its really funny, Cecil has the same apartment as Frasier, they talk about wine and Maris is mentioned

Yeah me too but Flaming Moes is my ultimate episode
Sideshow Meg

Postby tenpercenter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:27 am

For me its a toss up between the one where they parody thelma and louise or the one where they parody the beatles

usually i find paradoys show a lack of creativity, but the simpsons did it the best!

"quite , i cant hear the eggs!"
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby barnaclelapse » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:39 am

"Home at Bat" immediately springs to mind. "Three Men and A Comic Book" is another.

I'm going to stop at two though, because I could probably come up with a hundred in about twenty minutes. It's pretty pathetic.
barnaclelapse

Return to Off Topic Discussion