Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Footy Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Hans the German Butler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Officials are destroying the game! The results of three games over the weekend were changed by dodgy decisions. How long before video evidence saves us from incompetence? Is it just me or does it seem that Man Utd are never on the receiving end of a dodgy decision?
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby woggle » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:Officials are destroying the game! The results of three games over the weekend were changed by dodgy decisions. How long before video evidence saves us from incompetence? Is it just me or does it seem that Man Utd are never on the receiving end of a dodgy decision?


Been thinkin that for years , how many man u games are turned on the descisions given against the opponent , more than you realise i bet
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Did have a chuckle at Suarez's 'dive' celebration after the first Liverpool goal. To be fair, Moyes appeared to take that in good spirits. Amusing to see Phil Neville booked for diving, given his comments beforehand. Definitely a bad decision to see the 'winner' chalked off. Promising enough display by Liverpool anyway.

The Torres dismissal looked a bit of a farce at Chelsea. He was clearly tripped. Whether he could have kept his feet or not is maybe debatable, but i do know it doesn't take much to knock someone out of kilter when accelerating/sprinting. I didn't think Ferguson helped the situation at all with his comments. I'd take more notice of his nonsense had he previously publicly hammered his own players actions in previous matches/seasons. I don't remember him ever criticising Ronaldo for falling to the floor at the mildest puff of wind from a challenge to win free kicks and penalties. Also don't remember him being particularly harsh on Young for a couple of incidents in successive games recently.

So outside of anything the refs did in those games, i have larger concerns with the game currently. The problem i'm noticing through lack of action by the FA, Premier League, Football league, UEFA, FIFA, and, importantly, the PFA, for players blatantly diving, feigning injury and general gamesmanship, is the increasingly vitriolic frenzy with which fans in the stadium are whipping themselves into because of such players/incidents. We're seeing increasingly ugly looking faces full of venom, hearing ever more disgusting abuse hurled at players and officals, and growing incidents of object being thrown at players in English grounds. It culminated in a lot of ugliness at both Goodison and, particularly, Stamford Bridge. We saw the idiot Leeds 'fan' on the pitch and attacking the Sheff Wed goalkeeper last week - we're soon going to get a 'proper' criminal incident of a player/official being seriously injured or killed. I don't think it's over-dramatising it.

With the stuff raining down at Stamford Bridge, if they've got any sense the Premier League will set a strong precedent by hammering down on Chelsea with a large fine and threatening a ground closure for any further incident. Got to be one strike and then out as we can;t let any so-called fans chucking stuff or getting out of order again.

I'm very curious to see what comes out of the complaints made by Chelsea players about Clattenburg and alleged abusive language they received from him. I'd simply be astounded if he's actually said anything racist to them. He's surely not that dumb. Given the refs are fully mic'ed up, i assume it'll be an easy thing to sort out. If he has said something racist then he should be booted (although they've not exactly set a precedent of strong action with players or fans to now).
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Hans the German Butler » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:33 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Did have a chuckle at Suarez's 'dive' celebration after the first Liverpool goal. To be fair, Moyes appeared to take that in good spirits. Amusing to see Phil Neville booked for diving, given his comments beforehand. Definitely a bad decision to see the 'winner' chalked off. Promising enough display by Liverpool anyway.

The Torres dismissal looked a bit of a farce at Chelsea. He was clearly tripped. Whether he could have kept his feet or not is maybe debatable, but i do know it doesn't take much to knock someone out of kilter when accelerating/sprinting. I didn't think Ferguson helped the situation at all with his comments. I'd take more notice of his nonsense had he previously publicly hammered his own players actions in previous matches/seasons. I don't remember him ever criticising Ronaldo for falling to the floor at the mildest puff of wind from a challenge to win free kicks and penalties. Also don't remember him being particularly harsh on Young for a couple of incidents in successive games recently.

So outside of anything the refs did in those games, i have larger concerns with the game currently. The problem i'm noticing through lack of action by the FA, Premier League, Football league, UEFA, FIFA, and, importantly, the PFA, for players blatantly diving, feigning injury and general gamesmanship, is the increasingly vitriolic frenzy with which fans in the stadium are whipping themselves into because of such players/incidents. We're seeing increasingly ugly looking faces full of venom, hearing ever more disgusting abuse hurled at players and officals, and growing incidents of object being thrown at players in English grounds. It culminated in a lot of ugliness at both Goodison and, particularly, Stamford Bridge. We saw the idiot Leeds 'fan' on the pitch and attacking the Sheff Wed goalkeeper last week - we're soon going to get a 'proper' criminal incident of a player/official being seriously injured or killed. I don't think it's over-dramatising it.

With the stuff raining down at Stamford Bridge, if they've got any sense the Premier League will set a strong precedent by hammering down on Chelsea with a large fine and threatening a ground closure for any further incident. Got to be one strike and then out as we can;t let any so-called fans chucking stuff or getting out of order again.

I'm very curious to see what comes out of the complaints made by Chelsea players about Clattenburg and alleged abusive language they received from him. I'd simply be astounded if he's actually said anything racist to them. He's surely not that dumb. Given the refs are fully mic'ed up, i assume it'll be an easy thing to sort out. If he has said something racist then he should be booted (although they've not exactly set a precedent of strong action with players or fans to now).


The latest this morning is that Jon Obi Mikel and several Chelsea officials were in Clatternberg's room after the game and threatened to "break his fucking legs". This was apparently overhead by witnesses and led to security staff intervening. All of a sudden, allegations of racist language emerge. I'm a bit like yourself, I don't see any referee being that stupid - it's not like they're John Terry and can afford for their career to be over because of being picked up on camera or mic using racist language.

On the throwing incidents, it's been happening at Goodison Park for years. Every time Suarez or Gerrard particularly go near the edges of the pitch they get pelted. The teams should be fined and at three incidents forced to play behind closed doors. The authorities need to clamp down hard, and consistently so that at least fans can see something is being done. I know Suarez is a diver, he's certainly not the only one - but a ban for diving would sort that out. Introduce video evidence, like in cricket and each team gets two reviews of contentious decisions. You'd then at least have some cover for the refs because I fear that it will be a ref who gets seriously assaulted or killed the way things are going.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Man City are doing their best to look awful in the Champions League. Mind, they play relatively poor in a group full of top teams and they get hammered by the media. They get some dodgy decisions to rob them against Ajax and people say they didn't deserve to win anyway so it's no big deal. If it was Man Utd i get the feeling the journos would be more up in arms at those bad decisions - and whenever they play shit but steal a win then it's 'the mark of a top team' to be able to do that.

Quite amusing to see failed managers, Roy Keane and Gareth Southgate, sitting on ITV and giving advice to Roberto Mancini on where he's going wrong.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Hans the German Butler » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:22 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Man City are doing their best to look awful in the Champions League. Mind, they play relatively poor in a group full of top teams and they get hammered by the media. They get some dodgy decisions to rob them against Ajax and people say they didn't deserve to win anyway so it's no big deal. If it was Man Utd i get the feeling the journos would be more up in arms at those bad decisions - and whenever they play shit but steal a win then it's 'the mark of a top team' to be able to do that.

Quite amusing to see failed managers, Roy Keane and Gareth Southgate, sitting on ITV and giving advice to Roberto Mancini on where he's going wrong.


Quite so! And Man Ure have actually struggled through their group, despite it being the easiest of the lot; they have ground out results when playing like shite. However, they are the darlings of the media, footbal journalists all seem to be Fergie's bitches
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 am

Great result for Celtic tonight. Another blinder of a perfomance in goal by Fraser Forster by the looks of it. What a quality goalkeeper. Still disappointed that we never gave him a proper opportunity in the first team at Newcastle. Krul's an excellent goalkeeper and will become the Dutch #1, but I was genuinely gutted to see Forster sold on. I'd personally rate him above Joe Hart.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Hans the German Butler » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:34 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Great result for Celtic tonight. Another blinder of a perfomance in goal by Fraser Forster by the looks of it. What a quality goalkeeper. Still disappointed that we never gave him a proper opportunity in the first team at Newcastle. Krul's an excellent goalkeeper and will become the Dutch #1, but I was genuinely gutted to see Forster sold on. I'd personally rate him above Joe Hart.


I was seriously impressed by him in the game at the Nou Camp. He single-handedly kept Celtic in that game and in the end it was only sheer weight of pressure that led to his conceding. We're looking for a goalkeeper and we could certainly do worse than Forster from what I've seen so far.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 am

Hans the German Butler wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Great result for Celtic tonight. Another blinder of a perfomance in goal by Fraser Forster by the looks of it. What a quality goalkeeper. Still disappointed that we never gave him a proper opportunity in the first team at Newcastle. Krul's an excellent goalkeeper and will become the Dutch #1, but I was genuinely gutted to see Forster sold on. I'd personally rate him above Joe Hart.


I was seriously impressed by him in the game at the Nou Camp. He single-handedly kept Celtic in that game and in the end it was only sheer weight of pressure that led to his conceding. We're looking for a goalkeeper and we could certainly do worse than Forster from what I've seen so far.


I wouldn't look any further. I'd expect all the top teams should be looking at him if they've got any sense.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Hans the German Butler » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:19 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I wouldn't look any further. I'd expect all the top teams should be looking at him if they've got any sense.


Rumour has it that we're in for Al-Habsi from Wigan - I suspeect Forster might be cheaper if we move quickly enough.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby welshben23 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:02 pm

I wasn't expecting that result! Get in there! :wink: Sorry M-C!
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:50 pm

welshben23 wrote:I wasn't expecting that result! Get in there! :wink: Sorry M-C!


Nice of you to make a first post in a while to remind me of that :P

Two home defeats in a row isn't what we need. Looking like a mid-table season.

Decent win for Norwich against Man Utd just now. Nice to see Hughton getting some good results strung together.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby woggle » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Don't think i have anything to put on here after out recent ' performances ' :evil:
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:45 pm

woggle wrote:Don't think i have anything to put on here after out recent ' performances ' :evil:


anything you can do we can do better :roll: :lol:

I really hope we can win agin Wigan tonight otherwise we're right up shit creek. Makes me laugh to see all the moaning Chelsea fans. Get a grip.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Seamus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:29 pm

With United 7 points clear of City and 14 ahead of Chelsea - do you think it's Uniteds title now?.

Obviously still loads of games to go but I have a feeling that with RVP United now have the required power to outscore the rivals.
If less is more then think how much more more would be
Seamus
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: Scottish Highlands

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Seamus wrote:With United 7 points clear of City and 14 ahead of Chelsea - do you think it's Uniteds title now?.

Obviously still loads of games to go but I have a feeling that with RVP United now have the required power to outscore the rivals.


The way ManU blew a similar lead last season with only a handful of games remaining i'd never say it's done and dusted, however, RVP is certainly looking like the difference this year - so they need to make sure he stays fit.

The Premiership is awful this season. There are no particularly good teams, hence the struggle in the Champions League.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby woggle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Right now i can't stand swarez , actually dont think i ever did but the handball incident [ the fact he kissed his hand afterwards was just a discrace ] at the weekend really put the mockers on him for me ..i know he's not gonna say ooops sorry u missed that ref but i kinda blatently cheated but fuck ...wot a little shit!
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 pm

woggle wrote:Right now i can't stand swarez , actually dont think i ever did but the handball incident [ the fact he kissed his hand afterwards was just a discrace ] at the weekend really put the mockers on him for me ..i know he's not gonna say ooops sorry u missed that ref but i kinda blatently cheated but fuck ...wot a little shit!


Doesn't he always kiss his hand when he scores? I think it's because he has his daughter's name tattooed there.

Good win for your Swansea lot tonight, Ben. Got to be a good chance of silverware now.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby welshben23 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:Right now i can't stand swarez , actually dont think i ever did but the handball incident [ the fact he kissed his hand afterwards was just a discrace ] at the weekend really put the mockers on him for me ..i know he's not gonna say ooops sorry u missed that ref but i kinda blatently cheated but fuck ...wot a little shit!


Doesn't he always kiss his hand when he scores? I think it's because he has his daughter's name tattooed there.

Good win for your Swansea lot tonight, Ben. Got to be a good chance of silverware now.


How the hell we won that I have no idea. Thank-you very much Branislav Ivanovic for the 2 mistakes. :D I have tickets for the second leg, it will not be good for my health. If we do get to Wembley I hope Bradford do beat Villa. No disrespect to Bradford at all, it's just apart from one game. Villa are our bogey team.
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby woggle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:Right now i can't stand swarez , actually dont think i ever did but the handball incident [ the fact he kissed his hand afterwards was just a discrace ] at the weekend really put the mockers on him for me ..i know he's not gonna say ooops sorry u missed that ref but i kinda blatently cheated but fuck ...wot a little shit!


Doesn't he always kiss his hand when he scores? I think it's because he has his daughter's name tattooed there.
Good win for your Swansea lot tonight, Ben. Got to be a good chance of silverware now.


Oh i didn't know that , maybe that was why just looked to cocky when he did it that time .

Bored of losing/fucking up now how koscielny thought he could get away with the ' rugby' tackle he did is beyond me . I don't Walcott up front is working for me i miss his runs down the wing ... hope wenger is listening!!!!!!!
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 pm

Great result for Bradford tonight. Nice to see Villa being even more woeful than us at the moment.

Got to fancy your chances of silverware if you can finish off the job against Chelsea, Ben?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby woggle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Great result for Bradford tonight. Nice to see Villa being even more woeful than us at the moment.

Got to fancy your chances of silverware if you can finish off the job against Chelsea, Ben?


Oh i would love it if swansea can hold on ...it'll be so nice if one of the 'top teams ' ala chelski n co would not win for once ... and so with the FA cup . One can dream .
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby welshben23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:42 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Great result for Bradford tonight. Nice to see Villa being even more woeful than us at the moment.

Got to fancy your chances of silverware if you can finish off the job against Chelsea, Ben?


I am so nervous it's unbelievable. I am not thinking about Wembley or silverware yet, just want to get tonight over with. :D I know some people who have already booked their train tickets and hotel rooms ready for the Final.
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby woggle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Unfortunatly ive written of chelsea in so many games only for them to come back [ champs leage comes to mind! ] but surely they canny over come 2 goals away from hme can they? bloody hope not .Are you lucky enough to go watch them tonight Benny?
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby welshben23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:08 pm

woggle wrote:Unfortunatly ive written of chelsea in so many games only for them to come back [ champs leage comes to mind! ] but surely they canny over come 2 goals away from hme can they? bloody hope not .Are you lucky enough to go watch them tonight Benny?


Yep, got my ticket 2 days after Christmas. :)
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2017. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.