Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Footy Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Hector wrote:HA!! He's always taking bites out of Liverpool. I remember, 2 years back, when he said something along the lines of "The best teams never win the Champions League".

Yeah, I remember that! Just after our defeat of Chelsea at Anfield in the 2nd leg of our CL semi (thanks to a bit of a dodgy Luis Garcia goal) the post-match interviewer asked him if the best team won...

"No, the best team lost!" :lol:

Ever the graceful loser, our Jose!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:36 am

Some interesting results over the weekend. Liverpool continued their impressive run of form (no goal conceded in six Premiership matches now) and I was pleased we managed to hold on to third spot after Arsenal drew with Pompey at home.

I bet you ran the full gamut of emotions today, eh Hector? Chelski looking like dropping 3 points against a lively Everton team only to come back in sensational fashion with a couple of late wonder-strikes. I had a sneaking feeling West Ham might do something today against Man U with a new manager at the helm. I bet the bookies have changed the odds again tonight and re-instated Chelsea as favourites for the title again. It could all come down to the clash at Stamford Bridge!

Davey Boy - I'm pleased Spurs won their first away game of the season for you (a belated birthday gift from Martin Jol!) even if it was to the detriment of my fantasy footy keeper this season, Nicky Weaver. :x
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:30 am

Yeah it was a good result for Spurs and we are progressing nicely up the table now. No disrespect to other teams but I think once you get around to Christmas time quality starts to displace form. The top 4 are occupying the top 4 spots, the upper and lower mid-table teams start to become a bit more seperated and the teams who look likely to go down get cut off a bit at the bottom. Good news for Spurs though as we have invested alot in the squad over the last few seasons and have some quality players and many youngsters coming through. I didn't see Saturdays games BN but looked like a good result for Liverpool against Charlton, obviuosly no 5 goal rout but I'll give you the clean sheet :wink:
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:35 am

Oh and I have to say what a fantastic goal by Drogba, the man has been imense this season. AND finally Lampard got the goal which makes him Chelskis best ever goal scorer from midfield, I had tired of being told every week by the commentator that he only needed one more goal to achieve the feat.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:53 am

Davey Boy wrote:Yeah it was a good result for Spurs and we are progressing nicely up the table now. No disrespect to other teams but I think once you get around to Christmas time quality starts to displace form. The top 4 are occupying the top 4 spots, the upper and lower mid-table teams start to become a bit more seperated and the teams who look likely to go down get cut off a bit at the bottom. Good news for Spurs though as we have invested alot in the squad over the last few seasons and have some quality players and many youngsters coming through. I didn't see Saturdays games BN but looked like a good result for Liverpool against Charlton, obviuosly no 5 goal rout but I'll give you the clean sheet :wink:

Yeah, Spurs' future is looking bright. Wasn't it two home-grown players who scored today?

I think you're right about the league table evening itself out by Christmas. I'm still surprised to see Portsmouth so high up but with a defence including Campbell; Glen Johnson and David James maybe I shouldnt be. I can't imagine Kanu's form will last all season though - that's the main reason they're so high up. I expect the top 4 will finish with those clubs in, with Villa, Spurs, Bolton and Everton vying for the UEFA cup berths. Maybe even Newcastle can put a run together and challenge too.

As for Liverpool's game with Charlton, well the stats showed we had 22 shots at goal for the three we scored, but that doesn't tell the full picture. It was honestly like watching a practice match, I think Charlton are in real trouble - there was no fight, no spirit, no heart. When you look how Newcastle have turned things around with Glen Roeder it makes you wonder how Charlton would have done if they hadn't have panicked and got rid of Dowie so soon.

Well, it's the League Cup on Tuesday, with Liverpool playing Arsenal - I'm looking forward to that! With out harsh draw in the Champions league I suspect this and the FA cup will be our best chance for a trophy this season.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:16 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Yeah, Spurs' future is looking bright. Wasn't it two home-grown players who scored today?

I think you're right about the league table evening itself out by Christmas. I'm still surprised to see Portsmouth so high up but with a defence including Campbell; Glen Johnson and David James maybe I shouldnt be. I can't imagine Kanu's form will last all season though - that's the main reason they're so high up. I expect the top 4 will finish with those clubs in, with Villa, Spurs, Bolton and Everton vying for the UEFA cup berths. Maybe even Newcastle can put a run together and challenge too.

As for Liverpool's game with Charlton, well the stats showed we had 22 shots at goal for the three we scored, but that doesn't tell the full picture. It was honestly like watching a practice match, I think Charlton are in real trouble - there was no fight, no spirit, no heart. When you look how Newcastle have turned things around with Glen Roeder it makes you wonder how Charlton would have done if they hadn't have panicked and got rid of Dowie so soon.

Well, it's the League Cup on Tuesday, with Liverpool playing Arsenal - I'm looking forward to that! With out harsh draw in the Champions league I suspect this and the FA cup will be our best chance for a trophy this season.

Huddlestone is a product of the youth academy and has some on leaps and bounds this season. Davenport was purchased from Coventry a few seasons ago at a very young age after a couple of promising seasons and has developed nicely into a capable deputy for King/Dawson.

I agree with how you think the table will end up. I think Pompey will probably end the season between 9th and 12th but I think if Harry has long term plans he needs to bring in some youth, Kanu, Campbell and James are all the wrong side of 30 and Johnson is only on loan. They do however have the legend that is Pedro Mendes!!

Charlton were definatley wrong to sack Dowie after so few matches, and the fact that the appointed this Les Reed fellow astounds me. When the pundits menion how he's done this and that for th FA in the past I just keep wondering why he has never been a first team coach before!? I think it just goes to show what a quality manager Curbishley is in that he kept such a mediocre team motivated and finishing consistently in the mid table for all those years. It's a shame the Charlton board never gave him any money or a new challenge because I think h only left as he could not achieve anything more than he already had.

As for the League Cup I think Spurs will also be taking it very seriously. We have a nicer looking tie against Southend but you never know with these games (especially after last years cup debacles). I think we have a real chance though of picling up a domestic trophy or the UEFA Cup and we need it, 1999 was a loooong time ago...

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:52 am

Yeah, those two lads sounded local! Better than 'Aurelio' or 'Paletta' in any case! :lol:

As for Curbs, yes his reputation improved enormously just by leaving Charlton! The worse they did, the better job he looked to have done with them. His first result for the Hammers will have some people clammering for his appointment as England boss, no doubt!

Is it really 1999 since Spurs last won a trophy? Does that mean George Graham was the last man to deliver silverwear for the whites?? :shock: Dear me, I hope you win it this year, in that case!

I seem to remember you getting to the League Cup final a few years ago against Graeme Souness' Blackburn Rovers, with 'Afghan hound' lookalike Robbie savage the star of the show...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:00 am

Beer Necessity wrote:Yeah, those two lads sounded local! Better than 'Aurelio' or 'Paletta' in any case! :lol:

As for Curbs, yes his reputation improved enormously just by leaving Charlton! The worse they did, the better job he looked to have done with them. His first result for the Hammers will have some people clammering for his appointment as England boss, no doubt!

Is it really 1999 since Spurs last won a trophy? Does that mean George Graham was the last man to deliver silverwear for the whites?? :shock: Dear me, I hope you win it this year, in that case!

I seem to remember you getting to the League Cup final a few years ago against Graeme Souness' Blackburn Rovers, with 'Afghan hound' lookalike Robbie savage the star of the show...

I'm afraid it really has been that long. I think it was 2001 when we were in the final of the League Cup and lost to the Rovers but since then there's we haven't had much to celebrate I'm afraid.

Are Aurelio and Paletta both Spanish? It's so odd how the foreign managers come in and seem to adore players from their own country. I mean you think they would just look all over for the best talent but they certainly seem to have a bias towards their own countries players. Look at Benitez with these two (if they are Spanish!?) but also Garcia, Alonso, Reina, Wenger with all the Frenchies etc...

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:01 am

Davey Boy wrote:Are Aurelio and Paletta both Spanish? It's so odd how the foreign managers come in and seem to adore players from their own country. I mean you think they would just look all over for the best talent but they certainly seem to have a bias towards their own countries players. Look at Benitez with these two (if they are Spanish!?) but also Garcia, Alonso, Reina, Wenger with all the Frenchies etc...

Neither of them, actually! Aurelio's Brazilian and Paletta's Argentinian, but I think they both played in Spain so there's the connection.

I know what you mean about Benitez with his Spaniards; Wenger with his Frenchmen (Houllier too during his six years at LFC) but I think it's just a case of managers buying players from markets they know. Benitez knew very little about English football before he joined us, but he obviously knew a great deal about Spanish football, having won the league twice with Valencia. Wenger's a slightly different case IMO. It's true that he bought players he knew about to begin with (Viera; Petit; Anelka; Henry, etc.) but after a decade in the English league he really should know enough about it to risk investing in a few players. I think he got his fingers burned with Francis Jeffers, having paid £10 million for a real flop, and is reluctant to do so again. Personally i think they could really do with Joey Barton from Man City - I think they lack that type of British player in midfield who doesn't mind playing ugly (he scores some great goals too!).
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:39 am

Beer Necessity wrote:Neither of them, actually! Aurelio's Brazilian and Paletta's Argentinian, but I think they both played in Spain so there's the connection.

I know what you mean about Benitez with his Spaniards; Wenger with his Frenchmen (Houllier too during his six years at LFC) but I think it's just a case of managers buying players from markets they know. Benitez knew very little about English football before he joined us, but he obviously knew a great deal about Spanish football, having won the league twice with Valencia. Wenger's a slightly different case IMO. It's true that he bought players he knew about to begin with (Viera; Petit; Anelka; Henry, etc.) but after a decade in the English league he really should know enough about it to risk investing in a few players. I think he got his fingers burned with Francis Jeffers, having paid £10 million for a real flop, and is reluctant to do so again. Personally i think they could really do with Joey Barton from Man City - I think they lack that type of British player in midfield who doesn't mind playing ugly (he scores some great goals too!).

I think Barton looks like a very good prospect and he has done some good stuff at Man City. He seems to have a bit of an attitude on him/takes poor advice as I read he requestd to be transferred on deadline day and also that last week he slated the England players for releasing their autobiographies. Whilst I agree with him in the sense that they are all young, have achieved very little and are only doing it to make money, I think it was probably a poor move as he is likely to join the squad soon.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:28 am

Davey Boy wrote:I think Barton looks like a very good prospect and he has done some good stuff at Man City. He seems to have a bit of an attitude on him/takes poor advice as I read he requestd to be transferred on deadline day and also that last week he slated the England players for releasing their autobiographies. Whilst I agree with him in the sense that they are all young, have achieved very little and are only doing it to make money, I think it was probably a poor move as he is likely to join the squad soon.

Good point, although I think he was dead right! I'm sick of players/managers releasing books in which they HAVE to say something contoversial in order to sell them. It should be written into their contracts (the players) that they cannot write (or have written for them) any book until they either leave or retire from the game. They're not exactly poorly paid either - it's pure greed.

Joey Barton has done some stupid things in his time (not least extinguishing his cigarette in the eye of that youth team player :shock: ) and asking for a transfer on deadline day was indeed foolhardy, but a few match-winning goals and the fans soon forget about that.

I think he's exactly the type of player Arsenal need. He could be their Steven Gerrard (although a much watered-down version, obviously! :D )
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:34 am

Well BN, Spurs v Liverpool tomorrow at the Lane. If you read this before the match what is your prediction? I'm going for Spurs 2 Liverpool 1, with Beratov netting in the first half but Liverpool equalising. Defoe to grab us all three points in the second half.

Statistically with your season long away form (although recently slightly improved) and our immaculate home form we should run out winners, but you certainly don't need to remind me how we fared at Anfield...

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:27 am

Davey Boy wrote:Well BN, Spurs v Liverpool tomorrow at the Lane. If you read this before the match what is your prediction? I'm going for Spurs 2 Liverpool 1, with Beratov netting in the first half but Liverpool equalising. Defoe to grab us all three points in the second half.

Statistically with your season long away form (although recently slightly improved) and our immaculate home form we should run out winners, but you certainly don't need to remind me how we fared at Anfield...

Well, needless to say I was delighted with the result; and the performance. Spurs have a few away games now so I hope that doesn't start a run of bad results for your team.

We've got a REALLY big game at home to Bolton tomorrow. I keep expecting them to disappear to mid-table obscurity but they continue to confound the critics. If we win that it will go a long way to securing Champions League footy for us again next season (when hopefully we'll have A LOT more cash to splash!)
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:06 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Well, needless to say I was delighted with the result; and the performance. Spurs have a few away games now so I hope that doesn't start a run of bad results for your team.

We've got a REALLY big game at home to Bolton tomorrow. I keep expecting them to disappear to mid-table obscurity but they continue to confound the critics. If we win that it will go a long way to securing Champions League footy for us again next season (when hopefully we'll have A LOT more cash to splash!)

I haven't seen any highlights but I have read the report and I gather we looked a bit patchy at the back without King, which is a bit worrying as he tends to pick up a few niggling injuries... We really need to put together a run of results, both home and away to get our season going some.

As for Bolton they achieve well under Big Sam. I remember last year they were something like 4 points off fourth with two games in hand until about 8 games from the end of the season. Good luck to Liverpool though but don't expect an easy ride!!

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:57 pm

Davey Boy wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Well, needless to say I was delighted with the result; and the performance. Spurs have a few away games now so I hope that doesn't start a run of bad results for your team.

I haven't seen any highlights but I have read the report and I gather we looked a bit patchy at the back without King, which is a bit worrying as he tends to pick up a few niggling injuries... We really need to put together a run of results, both home and away to get our season going some.

As for Bolton they achieve well under Big Sam. I remember last year they were something like 4 points off fourth with two games in hand until about 8 games from the end of the season. Good luck to Liverpool though but don't expect an easy ride!!

Yeah, Ledley's gonna be a big miss for your boys - he's out for tomorrow's game too.

Do you think Spurs or any other club will buy big this January? I'd be interested to see how Chelsea's defensive crisis will affect the transfer market - they could bid big money for some players who are only worth a fraction of it - Sol Campbell or Micah Richards to name but two. If they do pay 15-20 million for an 18 year old with only one year's Premiership experience it will be ridiculous, and once again lead to hyper-inflation in the transfer market.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:57 am

Beer Necessity wrote:Yeah, Ledley's gonna be a big miss for your boys - he's out for tomorrow's game too.

Do you think Spurs or any other club will buy big this January? I'd be interested to see how Chelsea's defensive crisis will affect the transfer market - they could bid big money for some players who are only worth a fraction of it - Sol Campbell or Micah Richards to name but two. If they do pay 15-20 million for an 18 year old with only one year's Premiership experience it will be ridiculous, and once again lead to hyper-inflation in the transfer market.

I don't think Spurs will be making any major moves during this window, although Martin Jol would be wise to try and acquire a decent left midfielder/winger as currently we seem to stick central midfielders in that position, with Reto Ziegler out of favour. We have quite a large squad though so I expect any movement will see players leaving Spurs. Defoes name has been banded around as a player likely to leave which I don't want to see happen. Jol has a nice problem in that he has four young, hungry strikers who want to be playing as much as possible. I could also see possibly someone like Danny Murphy leaving to get more regullar action.

As for the other clubs I'm sure Man Utd will make another bid for Hargreaves, and I think their league position will mean the Glazers will make money available. Mourinho has said he would like another defender but that he won't pay an inflated price. I hadn't heard Campbells name mentioned but he is in his 30's and so would be expensive at anything over £5m I'd say. As for Richards I fully agree with you and for his sake I hope he isn't lured by the money because experience at a mid table club will be good for him at his age. If he goes to Chelski for a vast sum of money the pressure is really on and if he bottles it he will be on the bench for the next few years and another promising career slows down (a la Parker, Bridge, Wright-Phillips etc.).

I just read on the net though that Liverpools new owners would be interested in Beckham. Would you like to see him at Anfield?

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:32 am

Davey Boy wrote:I could also see possibly someone like Danny Murphy leaving to get more regullar action.

Yeah I can see that too. Maybe a move to West Ham if he can patch up his differences with Curbishly. I still think DM's a fine player; I was very sad when we sold him.

Davey Boy wrote:As for the other clubs I'm sure Man Utd will make another bid for Hargreaves, and I think their league position will mean the Glazers will make money available. Mourinho has said he would like another defender but that he won't pay an inflated price. I hadn't heard Campbells name mentioned but he is in his 30's and so would be expensive at anything over £5m I'd say.

I'm sure Mourinho says Chelski won't pay an inflated price but I'm sure that's just rhetoric. Their transfer dealings show they will pay an inflated price for anyone they think can improve their squad. Makelele was 31 when they paid Real Madrid £16 million for him. I don't think it matters to them how much they pay for Campbell. If Mourinho wants him and it takes £10 million to prize him away from Pompy I'm sure that's what they'll pay. I'm just not sure he will want a player who's mental state is questionable.

Davey Boy wrote:As for Richards I fully agree with you and for his sake I hope he isn't lured by the money because experience at a mid table club will be good for him at his age. If he goes to Chelski for a vast sum of money the pressure is really on and if he bottles it he will be on the bench for the next few years and another promising career slows down (a la Parker, Bridge, Wright-Phillips etc.).

You can add Glen Johnson, another English teenager to that list. Ironically he's doing rather well at Portsmouth at the minute - I say leave him there!

Davey Boy wrote:I just read on the net though that Liverpools new owners would be interested in Beckham. Would you like to see him at Anfield?

Ha! What do you think? :wink: I suppose from a footballing point of view he's quite capable of doing a Gary McAllister for us - he had an outstanding season in 00/01 for us aged 36! Beckham has similar qualities but far, far too much baggage for my liking. His wages would be astronomical; he's a Man U legend; he wouldn't enjoy the squad rotation...there's just far too many reasons NOT to sign him in my view. I'm sure he'll end up in Japan or the US where an increase in profile will help him sell his perfume. :roll:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:51 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Ha! What do you think? :wink: I suppose from a footballing point of view he's quite capable of doing a Gary McAllister for us - he had an outstanding season in 00/01 for us aged 36! Beckham has similar qualities but far, far too much baggage for my liking. His wages would be astronomical; he's a Man U legend; he wouldn't enjoy the squad rotation...there's just far too many reasons NOT to sign him in my view. I'm sure he'll end up in Japan or the US where an increase in profile will help him sell his perfume. :roll:

I'm not sure if he would fully justify a six figure wage packet but I think he could be of use to you. If Rafa is interested I think he would do best to get him on a short term contract with the option to extend and see how it works out. As you say though an ex Man Utd star may not go down that well at Anfield and I don't think he will have the same drive or determination as McAllister had. I think he will end up in the US or Japan but I think he is still a bit young to be cashing in on his career in that way. Give it another year or two and then head to one of the aforementioned countries. IMO a player of his calibre will be plenty good enough to play in the MLS until his mid to late 30's, should he want to.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:51 am

Davey Boy wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Ha! What do you think? :wink: I suppose from a footballing point of view he's quite capable of doing a Gary McAllister for us - he had an outstanding season in 00/01 for us aged 36! Beckham has similar qualities but far, far too much baggage for my liking. His wages would be astronomical; he's a Man U legend; he wouldn't enjoy the squad rotation...there's just far too many reasons NOT to sign him in my view. I'm sure he'll end up in Japan or the US where an increase in profile will help him sell his perfume. :roll:

I'm not sure if he would fully justify a six figure wage packet but I think he could be of use to you. If Rafa is interested I think he would do best to get him on a short term contract with the option to extend and see how it works out. As you say though an ex Man Utd star may not go down that well at Anfield and I don't think he will have the same drive or determination as McAllister had. I think he will end up in the US or Japan but I think he is still a bit young to be cashing in on his career in that way. Give it another year or two and then head to one of the aforementioned countries. IMO a player of his calibre will be plenty good enough to play in the MLS until his mid to late 30's, should he want to.

Well, I may have a different opinion to you on just how much 'calibre' Beckham has. He's very good a sprayng the ball about the pitch but his off-the-ball work, which used to be his forte, has declined to almost zero since he turned 30. I can't remember the last performance of his I saw which didn't look tired.

I've no doubt he could play in the US or Japan for as long as he wanted though.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:55 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Well, I may have a different opinion to you on just how much 'calibre' Beckham has. He's very good a sprayng the ball about the pitch but his off-the-ball work, which used to be his forte, has declined to almost zero since he turned 30. I can't remember the last performance of his I saw which didn't look tired.

I really meant that the quality of the leagues over in Japan and America ia low enough that a "past it" star is still up to the standard of the younger players within their leagues. I have just read on the net though that he may well be staying in Madrid as he and the family are settled. I also read that Mascharano may be on his way to Liverpool from West Ham but it seems to depend whether he will be able to play as he has already represented two clubs this season...

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:35 pm

Davey Boy wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Well, I may have a different opinion to you on just how much 'calibre' Beckham has. He's very good a sprayng the ball about the pitch but his off-the-ball work, which used to be his forte, has declined to almost zero since he turned 30. I can't remember the last performance of his I saw which didn't look tired.

I really meant that the quality of the leagues over in Japan and America ia low enough that a "past it" star is still up to the standard of the younger players within their leagues. I have just read on the net though that he may well be staying in Madrid as he and the family are settled. I also read that Mascharano may be on his way to Liverpool from West Ham but it seems to depend whether he will be able to play as he has already represented two clubs this season...

Yeah, that's a bizarre rumour isn't it? We're being linked to some seriously dodgy players at the moment. IMO Liverpool don't need another unproven foreign player, we need a tried and tested British one (or two!). I wouldn't mind Defoe from your club at all (although I don't think Jol will sell).

What about the FA Cup then? At least you're still in it, although Cardiff managed a creditable draw against your boys. I was obviously gutted at our result on Saturday but I keep telling myself it will do us good in the long term to have less matches than Arsenal in the race for 3rd place, especially with the Champions League coming up.

At least Everton's result cheered me up! :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:53 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Yeah, that's a bizarre rumour isn't it? We're being linked to some seriously dodgy players at the moment. IMO Liverpool don't need another unproven foreign player, we need a tried and tested British one (or two!). I wouldn't mind Defoe from your club at all (although I don't think Jol will sell).

What about the FA Cup then? At least you're still in it, although Cardiff managed a creditable draw against your boys. I was obviously gutted at our result on Saturday but I keep telling myself it will do us good in the long term to have less matches than Arsenal in the race for 3rd place, especially with the Champions League coming up.

At least Everton's result cheered me up! :lol:

I don't want to see Defoe go either. It's a nice situation to be in though that w have four quality strikers all wanting to play. I think Keane getting injured was a bit of a blessing really because it has given Defoe the chance to play some matches and hopefully remind him he is important to us.

With regard to the FA Cup I wasn't expecting much away from home to decent Championship opposition. Better to get them back to Fortress White Hart Lane to demolish them :wink: It does add to an already crowded shedule though but with the number of players on our books I think it will help to keep them happy. As for Liverpool I only saw bits of the match but it looked like Rosicky pulled out a couple of carackers that weren't entirely with the run of play. I think you need to make sure you get yourselfs to the League Cup final though or it may be a trophyless year up on Merseyside...

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:32 pm

Davey Boy wrote:I think you need to make sure you get yourselfs to the League Cup final though or it may be a trophyless year up on Merseyside...

Not too likely now - we're currently 5-2 down at home to Arsenal! :cry:

Wey-hey! Hyypia just scored as I type! 5-3, game on! :lol:

In truth there's been some cronic defending tonight. 8 goals so far with 10 minutes still to play - it's ridiculous!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:02 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Davey Boy wrote:I think you need to make sure you get yourselfs to the League Cup final though or it may be a trophyless year up on Merseyside...

In truth there's been some cronic defending tonight. 8 goals so far with 10 minutes still to play - it's ridiculous!

9 goals when all was said and done! Did you watch it? Sounds like a crazy game and I hear that despite a penalty save Dudek had a bit of a howler...

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:04 am

Davey Boy wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:

9 goals when all was said and done! Did you watch it? Sounds like a crazy game and I hear that despite a penalty save Dudek had a bit of a howler...

Yeah, we had it on at work. What a nightmare. I'm sure the neutrals loved it but that's the first time we've conceeded 6 goals at Anfield since 1914, almost 100 years ago!!! Yes, Dudek had another complete howler despite the penalty save which was at a very nice height for him.

9 goals conceeded at home in 4 days. Herumph. I hope this is a blip, rather than a sign of things to come...
Mr Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion