Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Footy Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Hector » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:05 am

Wicked, I'm glad you two remember those games. It was a rare thing but, for weeks afterwards, neutrals (none Liverpool or Newcastle fans) would still be refering to that game in conversation. I don't even think the two teams had any serious rivalry at the time either.

Its interesting BN that you mentioned Martin Tylers commentry. I always hear the words: "And Solskjear has WON IT!!!" when I think about Man Utd winning the Treble and European Cup. Also, I think it was Motty who said "CANTONA!! You just couldn't write this script!" in the 1996/ 96 FA cup final against Liverpool. Its strange. I wonder to what degree commentators realise that their words will forever be etched on the memory, defining classic moments in the game.

The best example has to be: "They think its all over..."

By the way, I think its great that every English club made it through to the next stage in the Champions League. I've always held that the Premier League is the most exciting and now we can even boast that the quality is of the very highest. Just look at the last few CL finals, an Enlish club has been involved.
Hector

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:31 am

Hector wrote:Its interesting BN that you mentioned Martin Tylers commentry. I always hear the words: "And Solskjear has WON IT!!!" when I think about Man Utd winning the Treble and European Cup. Also, I think it was Motty who said "CANTONA!! You just couldn't write this script!" in the 1996/ 96 FA cup final against Liverpool. Its strange. I wonder to what degree commentators realise that their words will forever be etched on the memory, defining classic moments in the game.

The best example has to be: "They think its all over..."

I think the "CANTONA!!" commentary was Tyler again - the match was shown simultaneously on Sky and the Beeb. I remember MT's words just after the goal too - "And finally this game has a moment to remember it by." - it was a complete letdown of a game - much worse for us Liverpool fans obviously!

You're right about the commentary though. It works the other way too. The commentaries from some of my most horrendous moments watching football are etched in my mind too. Brian Moore in particular. His "It's up for grabs now!!" in the 1989 title decider at Anfield against Arsenal is probably my all-time worst, but his "He's going to chip one!" from the Holland-England 1993 World Cup qualifier is certainly up there too. I can still remember Ronald Koeman's smug face after he slotted that free-kick so easily past David Seaman. Ugh, painful memories.

As for the best, well my favourite Kenneth Walstenholme commentary was not actually from the 1966 WC final, but from the 1970 World Cup when Pele let the ball run past him to completely wrong-foot the keeper before latching onto it and slotting it just wide. He was actually lost for words for a fraction of a second - Pele's skill had rendered him momentarily speechless! Finally he said "Oh, what GENIUS!!". That still sends a shiver down my spine...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:33 am

Hector wrote:By the way, I think its great that every English club made it through to the next stage in the Champions League. I've always held that the Premier League is the most exciting and now we can even boast that the quality is of the very highest. Just look at the last few CL finals, an Enlish club has been involved.

Agree with that. It's the first time Britain has had 5 clubs in the last 16 - the 4 English clubs all as group winners! Well done lads! [:]DRINK[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:35 pm

Anyone see the Chelsea/Arsenal clash? It was quite a game! The winners, however, were Man United.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:42 pm

Didn't see the game but I was mightily pleased that the mighty reds went marching on with another 4-0 victory yesterday. With money from Sheikh Mohammed to come too, the future's looking a little rosier all of a sudden.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Phil Branch » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:53 pm

Yes BN, quite a game indeed.

I'm glad to see my 2nd team, Arsenal, spoil it for Chelski, though I admit they were a bit fortunate at the end. Still, ABC I suppose. :wink:

As for my 1st team, Brentford, lying bottom of League 1, the least said the better. Wonder who our new manager will be...Alan Curbishley would be nice! :lol:
Well her lips said no, but her eyes said 'Read my lips"
Phil Branch

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:30 pm

Good result to see Arsenal not win AND Chelseas drop points. An of course Spurs demolished Charlton 5-1, always nice to see a healthy number of goals flying in!
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Hector » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:13 am

I didn't see the game, but I heard there were problems with Chelsea's treatment of the ref??
Hector

Postby Davey Boy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:35 am

I'm shocked(!)

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:09 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:Didn't see the game but I was mightily pleased that the mighty reds went marching on with another 4-0 victory yesterday. With money from Sheikh Mohammed to come too, the future's looking a little rosier all of a sudden.

I didn't realise you were a fellow red, Hans!

Yes, I hope the current 'due diligence' process goes through without a hitch, although reading the Teamtalk website it doesn't sound like Sheikh Mohammed will be ploughing in the kind of money which gives Chelski a £100 million transfer budget every summer. I'm pleased though. The Sheikh is apparently the 5th richest man in the world and if he wanted to enter a bidding war with Abramovich for any particular player he could do so. I think the most important thing is that the Stanley Park development will not financially cripple us as I feared it would. Should be some interesting times ahead!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:12 pm

Phil Branch wrote:Yes BN, quite a game indeed.

I'm glad to see my 2nd team, Arsenal, spoil it for Chelski, though I admit they were a bit fortunate at the end. Still, ABC I suppose. :wink:

As for my 1st team, Brentford, lying bottom of League 1, the least said the better. Wonder who our new manager will be...Alan Curbishley would be nice! :lol:

Great to see you again Phil! [:]DRINK[/:]

I'm afraid Curbishley's been taken now...would you settle for Alan Pardew? :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:14 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Good result to see Arsenal not win AND Chelseas drop points. An of course Spurs demolished Charlton 5-1, always nice to see a healthy number of goals flying in!

There were much more that usual this weekend, including the possible goal of the season! I wasn't overly impressed my Matt Taylor's goal to be honest - it just seemed like a long-range swinger to me. Good to watch though.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:23 pm

Hmm I always question the intent on those kinda shots but it was a spectacular goal I thought. I'd hate to be a goalkeeper in that kind of situation going in after the match!

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:37 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Hmm I always question the intent on those kinda shots but it was a spectacular goal I thought. I'd hate to be a goalkeeper in that kind of situation going in after the match!

Exactly! He was a good six yards off his line but it's difficult to legislate for something like that I suppose. A bit like David Seamen in the 1995 Cup Winners Cup final...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:05 pm

As for Sheikh Mohammed taking over Liverpool it concerns me in the same way Abramovic taking over at Chelsea did. I mean look at how much player prices have balooned in the last few seasons. Shevchenko for example, whilst a great player at AC Milan was purchased for £31million!! He's 30 years old! At least Man Utd paying that much for Rooney represents long term investment. I don't like to see the stupid amounts of money tht are being banded around the game at the moment it just seems like such a waste.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Davey Boy wrote:As for Sheikh Mohammed taking over Liverpool it concerns me in the same way Abramovic taking over at Chelsea did. I mean look at how much player prices have balooned in the last few seasons. Shevchenko for example, whilst a great player at AC Milan was purchased for £31million!! He's 30 years old! At least Man Utd paying that much for Rooney represents long term investment. I don't like to see the stupid amounts of money tht are being banded around the game at the moment it just seems like such a waste.

I get what you're saying DB, but I think the point is that only Chelsea would pay that for a player (and AC Milan knew that) so prices in general haven't been affected to my knowledge. I was amazed when they parted with £16 million for Makelele at 31 but he's obviously been a big part of their last 2 Premiership winning teams so to that end it was worth it.

If Shevchenko helps win them the European Cup (which is obviously what Mourinho bought him for - Ballack too) then the investment will have been worth the money. Rick Parry has gone on record saying Liverpool won't be 'doing a Chelsea' in the transfer market so I think you can rest assured about possible future inflation. There may be one-off bidding wars for particular players but I don't think the market as a whole will be affected too much by that.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Yes let's hope not. I just mean instances like Shaun Wright Phillips. He was such a prospect at Man City and I believe at the time Arsenal were also interested in him but with Chelskis money the Gooners had no chance and therefore he went to Chelski to sit on the bench and waste away his career, albeit with alot of money. The same is happening with Micah Richards again with Man City. He's had a dozen good games his season and looks like a good prospect and I read that Chelski are reportedly going to make a £15 million bid. It just seems crazy to me that such vast sums are thrown around and the fans still end up paying £40+ to watch a match.

I have to say though it would be good to see Chelsea unable to have the monopoly on all the big name players and Liverpool being able to compete every now and then.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:53 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Yes let's hope not. I just mean instances like Shaun Wright Phillips. He was such a prospect at Man City and I believe at the time Arsenal were also interested in him but with Chelskis money the Gooners had no chance and therefore he went to Chelski to sit on the bench and waste away his career, albeit with alot of money. The same is happening with Micah Richards again with Man City. He's had a dozen good games his season and looks like a good prospect and I read that Chelski are reportedly going to make a £15 million bid. It just seems crazy to me that such vast sums are thrown around and the fans still end up paying £40+ to watch a match.

I have to say though it would be good to see Chelsea unable to have the monopoly on all the big name players and Liverpool being able to compete every now and then.

That's what I'm hoping! Don't forget Man U are no slouches in the transfer market either and will continue to compete for the best players as well. I'm sure Chelsea would have loved to sign Wayne Rooney but he wanted to go to Man U and they were able to pay Everton what they wanted. Fair play to him. Also Stevie G has resisted the lure of Abramovich's dosh so there's a couple of examples of Chelski not getting everything they desire.

I'm actually starting to believe Chelsea can be beaten to the title now (although I wish it was by any other team that Man U!!) so that bodes well for future seasons. When they first won the title in 2005 I feared it was the start of a decade-long dominance. Hopefully now, that won't happen. It would have been very bad for football.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:11 am

It would be awful if Cheski were to dominate football but it looks like Man Utd might at least give them a run for there money. As long as they avoid any injuries to key players and perhaps add a player or two (Hargreaves for example) then I don't see why they can't do it. I think the Chelski players are going to start suffering from a slight lack of motivation. Obviously they are still really geared up for the Champs League but I think maybe their hunger for the Premiership has dropped just slightly whereas Man Utd and Fergie's has really built up over the last few trophieless years (not counting the league cup).

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:19 am

Davey Boy wrote:It would be awful if Cheski were to dominate football but it looks like Man Utd might at least give them a run for there money. As long as they avoid any injuries to key players and perhaps add a player or two (Hargreaves for example) then I don't see why they can't do it. I think the Chelski players are going to start suffering from a slight lack of motivation. Obviously they are still really geared up for the Champs League but I think maybe their hunger for the Premiership has dropped just slightly whereas Man Utd and Fergie's has really built up over the last few trophieless years (not counting the league cup).

I think you've made a good point there. Some of Man U's older generation (Giggs; Neville; Scholes) will certainly want to win one more title before they retire. Chelsea, on the other hand were significantly weakened for tonight's game with Newcastle. In fact, he had to bring Drogba and Shevchenko on at half time to rescue the game (they combined for the goal). You don't see Fergie fielding weakened sides against any Premiership opposition at the moment - every match has too much riding on it. I wouldn't be surprised if Man U win the Prem this year and Chelsea win the European Cup. Then, hopefully, Fergie will retire and Mourinho will go to Real Madrid!! :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Hector » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:47 pm

What do you all think of Jose?

Obviously great at what he does but... do you think he is a classy person, with a straight up honest and moral approach to the game? How much do you find yourself agreeing with some of his statements about the game and other teams/ managers? I for one can never make my mind up about him.
Hector

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:51 pm

Hector wrote:What do you all think of Jose?

Obviously great at what he does but... do you think he is a classy person, with a straight up honest and moral approach to the game? How much do you find yourself agreeing with some of his statements about the game and other teams/ managers? I for one can never make my mind up about him.

Well, as a Liverpool fan I should bear a grudge after our clubs numerous run-ins with the fella but I don't - I think he's a great character!

He's similar to Brian Clough for me - I always loved Cloughie even when he said things against Liverpool. The game needs a figure that everyone loves to hate. In that respect, he unites fans! :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Hector » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:57 am

HA!! He's always taking bites out of Liverpool. I remember, 2 years back, when he said something along the lines of "The best teams never win the Champions League".
Hector

Postby Davey Boy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:06 pm

Obviously he's an excellent manager and his ranting and raving does always give people something to talk about on a Monday morning BUT... he also falls in to a catergory of manager that really really ticks me off. That is the managers who can't admit defeat with grace. He will always blame a refereeing decision or an offside call, even if most people would agree the decision was correct. He also will accuse the other side of diving, for example, in a game where Robben or Drogba has clearly dived and yet defend his players saying they were fouled. I prefer the attitudes of your Martin Jol's, Stuart Pearce's, Martin O'Neils etc who will always give an honest assessment of the game.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:28 pm

Davey Boy wrote:

Obviously he's an excellent manager and his ranting and raving does always give people something to talk about on a Monday morning BUT... he also falls in to a catergory of manager that really really ticks me off. That is the managers who can't admit defeat with grace. He will always blame a refereeing decision or an offside call, even if most people would agree the decision was correct. He also will accuse the other side of diving, for example, in a game where Robben or Drogba has clearly dived and yet defend his players saying they were fouled. I prefer the attitudes of your Martin Jol's, Stuart Pearce's, Martin O'Neils etc who will always give an honest assessment of the game.

Oh, I totally agree with that. I admire Stuart Pearce as a man much more than 'the special one'. I was just making a point about having characters in the game. I take most of Jose's comments with a pinch of salt - he's a bit like a pantomime villain to me.
Mr Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion