Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Footy Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:58 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Predictions for tonights match?

Seems like half the squad have dropped out due to one injury or another so I guess it's a tough one to call. McLaren has said he intends to use all 6 substitues so I'm going to go with 1-1. England to be solid but fairly unimaginative in the first half and nick a goal. 6 changes to be made in the second half causing instability and, despite flashes of good play, a few errors resulting in a goal being conceeded.

That first half was dog shit, to be blunt. 6 changes at half time might not be a bad idea! Lampard and Gerrard in the same team just doesn't work. Sooner or later he'll have to show some guts and drop one of them if England are going to have any balance.
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:04 pm

If I keep hanging out on this board you guys might actually get me interested in YOUR kind of football!

I'm kind of having fun reading this thread!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:22 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:If I keep hanging out on this board you guys might actually get me interested in YOUR kind of football!

Hehe, things are going to get a bit depressing around here I think! We've just gone 1-0 down at home to Spain. D'Oh.

I hope we can convert you, Rudy!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby scrambled_eggs » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:06 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:If I keep hanging out on this board you guys might actually get me interested in YOUR kind of football!

Hehe, things are going to get a bit depressing around here I think! We've just gone 1-0 down at home to Spain. D'Oh.

I hope we can convert you, Rudy!

Yup

E V E R T O N

Look at me, Rudy, E V E R T O N.

:wink:
scrambled_eggs

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:08 pm

0-1. :x

McClaren Out!! The campaign starts here...

Lampard showed just how average he is when he's removed from his nice Chelsea caccoon. And Keiran Dyer couldn't have been better named unless he was called "Keiran Completely Fucking Shit".

Not happy. :evil:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:01 am

Didn't see much of the game, although it was on at work, and to be honest I don't really care. Sounds liked the performance everyone was expecting. You would think some of the fringe players who got their chance would be chomping at the bit to prove themselves but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

As for McClaren, he is going to have to change something or his time as England manager will be the worst since Taylor. Have some balls, at least in a friendly and make some changes to the team and see how it goes. Why why why did he put Lampard on the left when not only is he overrated but he is overrated in skills such as passing and shooting, not dribbling and pace.

I really do despair, get a decent manager in ASAP!
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:14 am

Davey Boy wrote:Didn't see much of the game, although it was on at work, and to be honest I don't really care. Sounds liked the performance everyone was expecting. You would think some of the fringe players who got their chance would be chomping at the bit to prove themselves but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

As for McClaren, he is going to have to change something or his time as England manager will be the worst since Taylor. Have some balls, at least in a friendly and make some changes to the team and see how it goes. Why why why did he put Lampard on the left when not only is he overrated but he is overrated in skills such as passing and shooting, not dribbling and pace.

I really do despair, get a decent manager in ASAP!

Funny, I was thinking of good old 'Turnip' Taylor today when I saw McClaren interviewed. His main problem will be that he has zero credit in the bank with England fans after his ignominious 5 years alongside Sven and his blank CV as a club manager. I'm prepared to sacrifice 2008 as long as the FA see the light by then and appoint a manager with some pedegree. Not fussed if he's English or not; that boat has sailed. We need one of the worlds best managers in one of Footballs highest profile (and best paid) positions.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:23 am

Agreed on all points. I think the main problem is that none of the big English clubs are prepared to go with a manager who hasn't won trophies. This seems to have developed into a vicious cycle whereby English managers can't win many trophies, therfore do not get jobs with the big clubs, therefore remain unable to win any trophies. Sam Alladyce has been the most consistent English manager in recent years I believe, leading Bolton to a number of top half finishes in a row.

I used to be someone who believed the English team should have an English manager but now I think sod it, let's just get in the best man for the job who can make use of the talent available.

Davey Boy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:45 am

Beer Necessity wrote:Lampard and Gerrard in the same team just doesn't work. Sooner or later he'll have to show some guts and drop one of them if England are going to have any balance.

I think by that statement that you mean drop Lampard? Gerrard has proved himself class in the highest level games. Lampard underperforms, for whatever reason, when the buck drops at his feet.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:51 am

Beer Necessity wrote:Funny, I was thinking of good old 'Turnip' Taylor today when I saw McClaren interviewed. His main problem will be that he has zero credit in the bank with England fans after his ignominious 5 years alongside Sven and his blank CV as a club manager.

Davey Boy wrote:Agreed on all points. I think the main problem is that none of the big English clubs are prepared to go with a manager who hasn't won trophies. This seems to have developed into a vicious cycle whereby English managers can't win many trophies, therfore do not get jobs with the big clubs, therefore remain unable to win any trophies. Sam Alladyce has been the most consistent English manager in recent years I believe, leading Bolton to a number of top half finishes in a row.

Steve McClaren did win a trophy with Middlesbrough - their first in history. I'm not saying he should be England manager - i would never have touched him. O'Neill or Allardyce would have been preferred, although Capello would have been my first choice.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby jlynn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi BN, speaking as a scot if you're going to start a campaign to get mclaren out let me know! watched the game last night and could not believe how bad it was. the first about 5 mins your lot played not bad, but what the hell happened for the next 85mins!!!!!!!!! in saying that that young keeper had a good game and was not at fault for the goal, john
jlynn

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:22 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Lampard and Gerrard in the same team just doesn't work. Sooner or later he'll have to show some guts and drop one of them if England are going to have any balance.

I think by that statement that you mean drop Lampard? Gerrard has proved himself class in the highest level games. Lampard underperforms, for whatever reason, when the buck drops at his feet.

Well, obviously I don't want to appear biased as a Liverpool fan but yeah, drop Lampard. I'm open minded though. If Gerrard starts playing below par again (as he was at the start of this season) then by all means play Lampard if he's in better form. But they're too similar to play together, IMHO.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:26 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Steve McClaren did win a trophy with Middlesbrough - their first in history. I'm not saying he should be England manager - i would never have touched him. O'Neill or Allardyce would have been preferred, although Capello would have been my first choice.

Well yes, I knew about his League Cup win of course. But come on, Liverpool have a more illustrious history than any other club in that competition and I still think it's a joke! Not only do the big 4 play reserve teams, but most of the Premiership now (even Sheff Utd for God's sake!!) so that just isn't a trophy anyone should put on their CV if they want to be taken seriously.

I'd have hated Allardyce in charge too, but O'Neill; Capello or Scolari would have suited me fine.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:28 am

jlynn wrote:Hi BN, speaking as a scot if you're going to start a campaign to get mclaren out let me know! watched the game last night and could not believe how bad it was. the first about 5 mins your lot played not bad, but what the hell happened for the next 85mins!!!!!!!!! in saying that that young keeper had a good game and was not at fault for the goal, john

As a Scot you must be p1ssing yourself at our miserable national teams right now! Two years of Rugby misery; 18 months of Cricket ineptitude and a constantly underacheiving football team...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
jlynn wrote:Hi BN, speaking as a scot if you're going to start a campaign to get mclaren out let me know! watched the game last night and could not believe how bad it was. the first about 5 mins your lot played not bad, but what the hell happened for the next 85mins!!!!!!!!! in saying that that young keeper had a good game and was not at fault for the goal, john

As a Scot you must be p1ssing yourself at our miserable national teams right now! Two years of Rugby misery; 18 months of Cricket ineptitude and a constantly underacheiving football team...

Hey, we've had 3 wins in a row in the cricket now... no wonder it snowed

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby jlynn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:47 pm

Well BN if i said i've not had the occasional chuckle i would be carted away to the local hospital for lying through my teeth, but just think how we've felt over the past few years!!!! Just think of Herr BERTIE. in saying that celtic are in the last 16 of champions league scotland in top of euro qualifying which only means one thing- when are we getting the snow john
jlynn

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:19 am

jlynn wrote:Well BN if i said i've not had the occasional chuckle i would be carted away to the local hospital for lying through my teeth, but just think how we've felt over the past few years!!!! Just think of Herr BERTIE. in saying that celtic are in the last 16 of champions league scotland in top of euro qualifying which only means one thing- when are we getting the snow john

Hehe, that's a nice perspective.

I did wince when Scotland appointed Bertie Vogts as it seemed a direct response to England appointing Sven. The key difference is that Scotland was not underachieving under Scottish managers and Craig Brown was probably doing the best job he could with the players he had. Also, Scotland has so many great managers of it's own there was really no need to sacrifice national pride and go down the foreign route. Why didn't George Graham or Kenny Dalglish ever have a go? Both have a tremendous pedigree and aren't doing a great deal else. I was pleased to see Walter Smith appointed but I think he's made a big mistake leaving. Rangers' fans aren't the most patient and if they spend another year well behind Celtic in the title race he'll be under great pressure again. In a year's time, I bet he regrets the decision he's made (especially if Scotland qualify for Euro 2008).
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:43 am

Well it's another bad day to be a Spurs fan :(

Losing 2-1 away to Sheffield Utd is not great and definately not a result a team challenging for the UEFA Cup places should be getting. I am starting to get a kind of sinking feeling about the season, and if we end up in the bottom half I'll be gutted. It's been made worse due to the way we performed last season which raised my expectations... I keep thinking that our season will get going soon and we'll get up the table, but there isn't much time left and we need Ledley back! I will stop complaining if we win a trophy though :P

Not the best of results for you either BN, looked as though your boys should have scored a few more but you didn't take your chances...

s_e I read Everton got a 1-0 win but haven't seen the highlights. Sees you nicely up the table though with the UEFA Cup in your sights...

Also, I don't know if anyone saw the Pompey gae but Mendes scored a crackin goal from outside the box. Does the man ever score a regular goal?!

Davey Boy

Postby scrambled_eggs » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:26 am

Davey Boy wrote:Well it's another bad day to be a Spurs fan :(

Losing 2-1 away to Sheffield Utd is not great and definately not a result a team challenging for the UEFA Cup places should be getting. I am starting to get a kind of sinking feeling about the season, and if we end up in the bottom half I'll be gutted. It's been made worse due to the way we performed last season which raised my expectations... I keep thinking that our season will get going soon and we'll get up the table, but there isn't much time left and we need Ledley back! I will stop complaining if we win a trophy though :P

Not the best of results for you either BN, looked as though your boys should have scored a few more but you didn't take your chances...

s_e I read Everton got a 1-0 win but haven't seen the highlights. Sees you nicely up the table though with the UEFA Cup in your sights...

Also, I don't know if anyone saw the Pompey gae but Mendes scored a crackin goal from outside the box. Does the man ever score a regular goal?!

Aye we managed to win, good first half for us, pretty poor second. Mendes is a cracking striker of the ball, not sure how good he is when he isn't lashing them in from 25 yards out though, bit like Pedersen at Blackburn.

Surprised you lost, what's going on with you lot, anything in particular? Quality-wise you should be pushing the "big 4".

Anyhoo .... I never felt more like singin' the blues, when Everton win, and Liverpool lose, ohhhh Everton, you got me singing the blues

:wink:
scrambled_eggs

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:48 am

A shit day all-round for me. Liverpool losing was a big blow (and yeah, we had tonnes of chances at 1-0 up) but my fantasy team took a real caning too. :cry:

For some reason I didn't fancy Spurs yesterday. Your away form is pretty poor and Sheff Utd had the carrot of going 10 points clear of the relegation spots. Looks like we'll be seeing Warnock again next year then.

As for Everton, I think they're at the start of a really good run. Watford and Sheff Utd next up - should be six more points in the bag there for a team in form. Stubbs' return has made a big difference I think, he was awesome against us last week.

Just hope the Arse slip up today - they have 2 games in hand now and if they win those we're back down to 4th place.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby scrambled_eggs » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:12 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:

A shit day all-round for me. Liverpool losing was a big blow (and yeah, we had tonnes of chances at 1-0 up) but my fantasy team took a real caning too. :cry:

For some reason I didn't fancy Spurs yesterday. Your away form is pretty poor and Sheff Utd had the carrot of going 10 points clear of the relegation spots. Looks like we'll be seeing Warnock again next year then.

As for Everton, I think they're at the start of a really good run. Watford and Sheff Utd next up - should be six more points in the bag there for a team in form. Stubbs' return has made a big difference I think, he was awesome against us last week.

Just hope the Arse slip up today - they have 2 games in hand now and if they win those we're back down to 4th place.

Well they nearly did! Can't fault Arsenal for entertainment value.
scrambled_eggs

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:16 pm

scrambled_eggs wrote:Well they nearly did! Can't fault Arsenal for entertainment value.

Bastards :x

They're just a point behind us now with a game in hand. It was so very nearly 4 points...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby jlynn » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:20 pm

must be honest chaps when it comes to english football, my favourites wold have to be between newcastle and everton
jlynn

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:22 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:

Sorry for that result BN. But i am glad Bellamy didn't come back and have the last laugh, like so many ex-players seem to.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:26 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
scrambled_eggs wrote:Well they nearly did! Can't fault Arsenal for entertainment value.

Bastards :x

They're just a point behind us now with a game in hand. It was so very nearly 4 points...

No wonder Paul Jewell was going berzerk. I watched the game on ESPN, and to say Arsenal got away with murder is only a slight overstatement :D

What a nasty streak Henry has running through him, for all that talent he can use to prove any points with.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion