Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Extras

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Extras

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:10 pm

Yeah - like I said, up until Thursday's episode I just wasn't really enjoying it. I think it helped having a down-to-earth British 'celeb' as the main guest star. I got the impression he was really up for it, rather than some of the others who might have taken part just so they could say they'd 'done Ricky Gervais' show'. Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think Les Dennis was the best guest by a mile.
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:39 pm

Ali 75 wrote:

Did like the end with him in bed shouting out his 'Family Fortunes' catchphrases[:]:-}[/:].

[:]:-}[/:] That was hilarious!
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Stratman » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:33 pm

I'd like to see this for myself.

There is a show in Australia at the moment called 'We Can Be Heroes', which everybody but me thinks is brilliants. It's similar to 'The Office' in that it is filled with cringeworthy moments, but the satire is no where near as sharp, or original. Plus, it's painfully unfunny, and absurd.
Stratman

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:53 pm

I recently rewatched all 6 episodes of 'Extras' on video and really enjoyed them. The first two episodes are still the two least good but definitely improve on a second viewing. I thought Patrick Stewart was really funny in the last episode with his perverted film idea[:]:-))[/:] Looking forward to the DVD release and Series 2 now.
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

Jocelyn

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:06 pm

I enjoyed Extra's more than I thought I would, although its still not as good as The Office. I missed episodes 3 and 4 (although I might have them taped on video somewhere) but I really enjoyed the last two episodes - especially the one with Samuel L Jackson. Ricky Gervais has this incredible ability to make you feel SO uncomfortable when you watch his material. I do agree with you though, I wasn't keen on the Ben Stiller or Ross Kemp episodes
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:21 pm

The Samuel L. Jackson episode had my favourite plot of the series where that other extra kept following Andy trying to make friends with him and they went into the cemetary and Andy pretended that his mother was buried there, which is pure 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' really ('Extras' is also co-produced by HBO). The best bit of that episode though was when the pair went out to dinner and Andy reached such a low ebb that he dropped his head into the soup which he then smeared all over his face[:]:-))[/:]

Jocelyn

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:57 pm

I know, I loved that, it was pure genius, very Larry David indeed
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:49 pm

I don't think Extras was as good as Curb though
Cake for Brains

Postby Sideshow Meg » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:54 pm

No way! The cemetary scene was pure genius though
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Stratman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:44 pm

I just saw Ricky on Conan. The preview scene was hilarious. It had something to do with Ricky's character kissing a priest's hand. [:]:-))[/:]
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:50 pm

That's right, Extra's is making its big debut in the US soon isn't it? When is it?
Cake for Brains

Postby Stratman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:30 pm

Must be soon.
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:00 pm

Here's some Ricky Gervais news:

The first episode of 'Extras' which was screened in the US last week barely managed to scrape a million viewers, despite much media attention and advertising. I was also disappointed to hear that the premiere of Curb your Enthusiasm's fifth season got the same amount of viewers.

Ricky is also starring in the new series of Arrested Development as a train driver. The main guy in it, who plays Michael Bluth has reported to have demanded that Ricky get a bigger part and that his talents not be wasted. He also Ricky was a comic genius, and The Office and Extra's put Arrested Development to shame
Cake for Brains

Postby Stratman » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:31 pm

Michael Bluth is played by Jason Bateman.

It wasn't in direct competition with 'Desperate Housewives', was it?
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:07 pm

An added point, here...but for anyone who knows of the sitcom "Family Ties", which starred Michael J. Fox as Alex P. Keaton, Jason Bateman's sister Justine starred in Family Ties alongside Michael J. Fox as his character's sister, Mallory Keaton.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Ali 75 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:42 am

Yeah, Justine looks a lot like her brother doesn't she? I've never really got into 'Arrested Development', but I watched it the other night and quite enjoyed it. I think it's slightly overrated, but I can see why people like it.
Ali 75

Postby tenpercenter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:19 am

i love anything merchant and gervais does
i like the office better. its funnier and more heartbreaking, but this show gets added chops because it has the wonderful merchant as andys manager
this guy has serious comedy chops
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion