Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Joey

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Joey

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:25 am

I know there is already a thread on this but I can't find it and cannot be bothered to search ridiculously far back!!

Anyway I watched it today just to see what it was like - and I didn't laugh once. Not one single time. It is truly the worst sitcom I have ever seen
Sam

Re: Joey

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:10 am

All I can say Sam is that you are so very lucky if Joey is the worst sitcom that you have ever seen.
This is the 4th episode and it has kept me chuckling every time. Yes it is no Frasier, but it it is far superior to a lot of crap that is on screen nowadays; The Frank Skinner Taxi driver one and the Jasper carrot one:- all dire!! and at least it is something new rather than the constant repeats of US shows such as Friends, Simpsons(which are good shows, but I have the vids already so I don't need to be shown them on TV) and Fresh Prince (which was never that good in the first place, woop wooping all the time!)

BN/Shory/Stuart. Can we move this to the 'Off Topic' side please?

Post Edited (02-28-05 10:21)
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:28 am

Now moved. I hope no one minds but I've closed the old 'Joey' thread (it was getting huge and takes an eternity to update for anyone using a dial-up connection)

If anyone wants to comment on this sitcom please use this new thread.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:26 pm

I liked Frank Skinner when he's with David Baddeil but I'm not that big a fan of his generally although his chat show was mildly amusing.

The Fresh Prince and the Simpsons are infinitely better than Joey although I agree they don't need to keep repeating them so many times.

I didn't think Joey was very funny in Friends either.
Sam

Postby marty » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:00 pm

I had lost "track" of Joey after watching a bit of a few eps...we followed Survivor through mid-Dec. as it was on the same time in the States, and the new Survivor season began a couple of weeks ago during the Feb. sweeps period. I have no idea how the ratings are going for Joey, but it is pretty much guaranteed to be brought back next fall.

On another note, I read somewhere that NBC had given serious consideration to actually having Frasier continue in Chicago with Charlotte, but Laura Linney immed. nixed it as she wanted to devote her time to movies and plays. There was no mention as to KG's view of the matter. Then again, this may just be some "trial balloon" that was floated out there to get some reaction.
marty

Postby Ali 75 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:06 am

Joey's ratings have nose dived again, it got 2.1 million viewers last night - that's quite a drop in a short space of time. A few people on other forums said last night's was the worst one so far, but if it stays at around 2 million C5 will still be quite happy.
Ali 75

Postby Rodge » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:10 am

I agree it was the less good of the four so far. Ali it looks like all your predictions were right.[:]:-)[/:]
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Ali 75 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:24 am

I wish that were true with other things[:]:-}[/:]
Ali 75

Postby Shoryuken » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:15 pm

I watched it for the first time last night.. while it had its odd moment, apart from that it was fair at best..
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best (1946-2005)
Shoryuken

Postby gwennie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:27 pm

I always preferred Matthew Perry and thought he was the best comic actor from Friends. It would have been better to see him in a spinoff. Joey is OK, but just doesn't seem all that funny to me.
gwennie

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:36 pm

Matthew Perry was the best Friend. I was actually really upset the other day when i found out he went into a load of drug induced seizures, but pizza cheered me up.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby gwennie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:40 pm

Yes, Perry has battled addiction off and on for quite some time, truly a shame for a very talented person...I love pizza too Meg...save me a piece.[:]:-))[/:]
gwennie

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:46 pm

he is such a cool actor and it's a shame that he has all these drug problems. This was about a fortnight ago so the pizza is stale. Have been eating celery all evening and am a bit tired after watching Finding Nemo until midnight last night (And on a school night!). I watched the film first then watched it with commentary. when I get a new dvd I'm like a child at Christmas. I look for the easter eggs and deleted scenes and stuff
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby gwennie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:49 pm

Guess I'll have to get some of my own pizza.[:]:-)[/:]

I have the "Ray" DVD and will watch it this weekend I hope. Jamie Foxx is awesome from the movies I've seen, espec. in Collateral. I'm glad he won the Oscar.
gwennie

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:52 pm

Its fourth (?) episode stabilised in the ratings at just over 2 million, after it dived from its 4 million debut episode. As Ali says though, 2 million is still a good figure for C5. C4 is probably quite happy it passed it over though.
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Ali 75 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:44 pm

In Australia, it debuted at #9 in the TV charts, but this week it's outside the top 50[:]:-O[/:]

I can't see this show lasting more than a year or two to be honest.
Ali 75

Postby freewill » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:27 am

I still have not seen Joey. (US soldier stationed in Korea; it hasn't made it over here yet, not even on the military's network) Joey certainly wouldn't have been my first pick for a spin-off; the character just never did evolve to the point where it'd be strong enough to carry a show. But I also think that Matt LeBlanc is underrated as a comic actor. Of the six, he is the best at conveying emotion with facial expressions in a humorous way. A good example is "The One Where Everyone Finds Out", the classic they-don't-know-that-we-know-that-they-know farce from Season Five. Matthew Perry and Lisa Kudrow dominate that episode in the second act, but there are great little Matt LeBlanc moments as well.

Well, if you haven't guess, I am a huge Friends fan. I am also a huge Frasier fan. I do believe that Friends was a victim of backlash due to overexposure. I think that Friends fans and Frasier fans can co-exist peacefully. This can easily become another discussion all on its own.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill

Postby Jonno » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:02 pm

There's been a few Friends vs Frasier discussions here, Freewill. I think a few people see Friends as the anti-Frasier, so it's not especially popular on this forum. I like Friends. Sure, it doesn't have the verbal wit of Frasier, nor the understated tastefulness (witness the audience "whooping" at a typically OTT emotional scene) but it's a sharp, funny show. I also think the acting is underrated. So many of the laughs come from the way the lines are delivered. I don't remember the episode, but Chandler says "will you help me?" in the most off-the-wall way, it's brilliant - but on paper you might not even spot it was a joke.

I wasn't much impressed with the 10 minutes I saw of Joey though.

Oh, and Meg - I laughed my socks off at this...

Matthew Perry was the best Friend. I was actually really upset the other day when i found out he went into a load of drug induced seizures, but pizza cheered me up.

...and now I'm feeling really guilty. Thanks a lot!
Jonno

Postby freewill » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:37 pm

Jonno, I remember the exact episode you are referring to. It's the one where Chandler proposes to Monica. He tells Joey that he's going to go over to Monica's ex-boyfriend's apartment to kick his ass, and then adds, "Will you help me?" Joey replies, "I don't think that us getting our asses kicked is a solution, okay?"

I do agree with you about the whooping from the audience, and I do wish it was more subdued and tasteful. I also wish the theme song was a little (all right, a lot) less irritating. But these are minor gripes about an otherwise fine show. Also, when one of their cast members got pregnant (Lisa Kudrow), not only did the writers deal with it, but they created a fine storyline to incorporate the pregnancy into the show without shaking everything up by permanently adding a baby (or three) to it.
freewill

Postby Ali 75 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:31 pm

Well 'Joey' is really starting to sink on C5, it only got 1.6 million viewers last Sunday. I reckon C5 would have been happy with 2 million(ish), but at £500,000 an episode that kind of money is starting to look like a big mistake. Rumour has it that they are not going to bother buying S2. I'm still wondering why NBC haven't wheeled out Perry, Cox etc..... Perry guested on 'Scrubs' so why not 'Joey'? I hated Friends, with its 'Oh My God's' and 'Eww, Eww, Eww's' and found it to be cheesy and generally insufferable - each to their own though, it was unlucky that it was on before Frasier and therefore overshadowed[:]:-}[/:]. I think the 'whooping' made it all the more annoying, although that's nothing compared to the Will & Grace audience, that show is annoying enough without them anyway[:]}:-(([/:].

Didn't know you were out in Korea Freewill, how long are you there for?
Ali 75

Postby freewill » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:57 am

I have been in Korea for nearly two years and actually like it here. I am trying to extend and stay here for another year, partly because I like the country, and partly because I just hate moving. [:]:-I[/:]
freewill

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:51 am

You're a hero, Freewill! My 'military service' amounted to 3 weeks spent in the Combined Cadet Force at school when I was 12. I left because the uniform was itchy! It's a good job we don't have people like me defending our freedom [:]:-))[/:]
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby gwennie » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:09 pm

Odd, but I checked the TV grid for tonite, and Joey isn't on at all. Will & Grace is being shown at 8 pm followed by another W&G. I realize most of March is rerun time here in the States as February was a sweeps month and the nets save the new eps for April then the May sweeps, but NBC isn't giving Joey much of a vote of confidence by not even showing a rerun tonite....then again, I prob. wouldn't be watching it anyway.[:]:-))[/:]
gwennie

Postby Ali 75 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:40 am

Glad you are happy over there Freewill[:]:-)[/:].

'Joey' has just been renewed for definite by NBC, as has 'The West Wing' although their production company will only receive half of their usual rate of pay from NBC. No word on 'Scrubs' yet though[:]?[/:]
Ali 75

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:00 pm

It was inevitable NBC would give Joey a second series, it would've been too embarrassing otherwise. And besides - what else have they got?

The West Wing is getting half the money? Blimey. That's got to hurt. Seems Aaron Sorkin left at the right time, he must be a bit gutted at the way his baby's going though.
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion