Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

I was just wondering...

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

I was just wondering...

Postby gwennie » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:30 pm

My cousin was wondering (with me) the following...

I love English Muffins...are they popular in the UK?

Also, what is the significance of the following screen names here: Shoryuken, Sideshow Meg and ToffeeGirl...

Don't think I'm a loon for this...LOL
gwennie

Re: I was just wondering...

Postby Shoryuken » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:38 pm

I know this may sound like a daft question, but what are English Muffins? I think I know what they are from a US POV, but Im not 100% certain (as certain foods tend to have different names as they go around the world - 'crisps' are called 'chips' stateside, for instance)..

As for my name, it is derived from the excellent 'Street Fighter' series of games that I wasted many an hour in my childhood playing on the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis)..
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best (1946-2005)
Shoryuken

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:11 pm

In england, they're just called muffins. I love Muffins, they are yummy. Oh and Sideshow Meg is from the best Simpsons character Sideshow Bob (but Cecil is equally great)
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:27 pm

Muffin originally came from the french term 'mouflet' and is more bread than cake. Really a mufffin is a crumpet style product (without the holes) that you are supposed to toast and butter. It is more dense and 'squidgy'. The 'Muffin' as we all probably know today is more like our 'Fairy cake' that is basically small sponge cake with various fruits and flavours added, and we Brits eat when taking tea!!! So unfortunately the Muffins we know and love today are more of a misnomer. Having said all that Gwennie, what is an 'English Muffin' that you are referring to in the US, is it a sponge cake with fruit or is it more of a plain small squidgy thing that you toast and butter?

Meg, I love that line 'in England they're just called muffins..' classic. It's the same as Chinese food; in China it's just called 'food'!!!!

Post Edited (02-26-05 18:56)
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:54 pm

Gwennie, I am hurt that you have not enquired about my name! so as punishment I will tell you anyway:- The word 'rob' is generally synonymous with despoil, felonious and deprivation. Sums me up perfectly!!!!!

Post Edited (02-26-05 18:59)
Rodge

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:22 pm

"Meg, I love that line 'in England they're just called muffins..' classic. It's the same as Chinese food; in China it's just called 'food'!!!!"

I completely forgot about that line! Classic. That's where i must have subconsciously got it from!
Sideshow Meg

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:17 pm

Megan, young lady, was that an admission of guilt for the liking of a line from Friends....naughty, naughty!!![:]:-))[/:]
Rodge

Postby gwennie » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:10 pm

Just got back from lunch and shopping, and judging by our bags, we did quite well for ourselves...my cuz Allison lives in the boonies, so coming to the city is a treat for her.

Thanks for the info. guys as to your names...I've never been a Simpsons watcher, so Meg, that was news for me...as for Shoryuken, that was something I wasn't aware of either...as for Rob, I didn't mean to "neglect" you, LOL, it's just that Rob didn't seem like a pseudonym to me, although perhaps it is...

An English muffin is a circular breakfast type muffin that splits in half and toasted and upon which one would put butter, jelly, creamcheese, etc. They're very popular here, though it does make sense that you'd just call it a muffin...on the other hand, we have American Cheese here which comes in slices like one would get Swiss Cheese, but we specifically call it American cheese...LOL...

this has inspired me to have an English muffin now with Allison....tata.
gwennie

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:29 am

Rob, I have always wondered about your name. In fact, I have stayed awake many nights puzzling over your choice of username. What could it possibly mean? To my knowledge, it could not be an abbreviated form of any name...after all, what name is there in the English language that begins with the letters "R - O - B"? I can't think of a single one! So I came up with a theory - "ROB" is an anagram of "ORB", which I believe is connected with psychics and fortune-telling, thus you are making a very subtle reference to Daphne's powers!
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:36 am

I have no guilt in liking Friends Rob. You underestimate my tolerance. I once stayed up for nine hours until 3am watching it on dvd with my cousin, and drinking bad coffee. I had no trouble sleeping that night but tonight I am really a bit like an insomniac as i cannot sleep am and not even really tired
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:40 am

^ Bad coffee! Bad coffee! See, Meg, somebody slipped you a mickey! I told you they were out to get you, didn't I?

A bit of a night, owl, Meg? I am too. Sometimes, (not on school nights!) I don't go to bed until one a.m. and even then I am prone to staying up for an extra half hour or so, writing or reading...Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees is the same. I read in an interview goes to bed at about three a.m. and doesn't get up until midday.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:49 am

Slipped me a mickey? Whoa seinfeld flashback *grins to self*. I'm not really a nightowl. the other day i was so tired I fell asleep (duh!) and woke up at four in the morning realising that i still had my jeans and tshirt on
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:58 am

Yes, they slipped you a mickey! Now think carefully, Meg...were you in your house, or your cousin's? Who else was there, apart from the two of you? We can crack this, if we put our sleuthing minds together...we can be the next Nancy Drews!

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:17 am

Quote:- "Gwennie, I am hurt that you have not enquired about my name!"

ROB = Rampaging Oversexed Bounder.

This is because I see you as a kind of Terry Thomas character from School for Scoundrels, twizzeling your moustache whilst hatching a plan to snare your latest quarry: "Ding dong, what a beautiful creature!"

I love acronyms. My favourite was from Red Dwarf:-

the Campaign for the LIberation of Terrifying Organisms and their Re-intigration Into Society.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby gwennie » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:33 pm

That's a "good" one BN...I'll have to note that for future reference...like Meg and BGF, I like to stay up late, espec. on weekends, and with Allison here, we were up til 1 am and I've had trouble finally sleeping , so here I am on the Board til I finally fall asleep again...LOL...must have been too much coffee last night.
gwennie

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:36 pm

Wow Gwennie, it must be about 5 in the morning where you are?? If you need help sleeping read my contributions on the "US Government" thread, that should send you off into snoozeland... [:]NUT[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:37 pm

Well I stayed up until midnight then 'went to bed' where i read an article on teenage brides until 12.30 when i finally succumbed to the temptation of sleep. I stayed there until 10:30 this morning, and ache after playing furious badminton with my dad, brother and brother's friend. (It's called furious badminton because apparently, I'm competetive(!))
Sideshow Meg

Postby gwennie » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:41 pm

Yes BN it is very early here, and I've hardly had any sleep, but I'll catch a nap later on. I haven't seen my cousin in a while so we had to "catch up" on things and we're having a lot of fun. I've looked at the US Government thread and although I find it a bit interesting, it's not really a big topic of discussion for me. All that stuff is so complicated, then everyone starts getting snippy about it. I prefer entertainment and "light" stuff.

Wow Meg, some furious badminton...sounds like a competitive time there.
gwennie

Postby gwennie » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:46 pm

On another note, I didn't mean to "snub" BN either on the screen name thing...we figured it out on our own[:]:-))[/:]

Rob: "Ruler Of Babes" ??

"Randy Old Buck" ??

"Rascal Of Britain? ??

Let's vote on the best of this acronym...
gwennie

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:56 pm

I think we'd better let Rob respond to some of this before having a competition about him! I think he'll like "Randy Old Buck" though LOL

Congrats on figuring out the oh-so-clever play on words for my screen name Gwennie! [:]:-))[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:00 pm

I'm actually not competitive. five pounds says that i'm the least competitve person here!.

My vote goes to Randy Old Buck
Sideshow Meg

Postby Rodge » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:59 pm

"Rampaiging Oversexed Bounder" - Like it, but not truthful!!
"Randy Old Buck" - I have to take offence to 'old'!!! But still good
"Rascal of Britain" - Cute, but I'd come across arrogant if accepted!
"Ruler of Babes" - This, I do like, as long as you have a long enough ruler!!!!!, it is a dream of mine to be 'king' of a planet solely inhabited by women, but I am afraid it is a bit of a pipe dream!!!

We do seem to have a general theme of debauchery running through them all where as in fact I am a mild mannered gentleman!!......thats bullshit isn't it, my nickname at Uni (which I am quite proud of) was 'Studley Hudson'!!!!
That was 12 years ago, so the sad truth of it is probably 'Retired Overrated Babe-Magnet' is more apt.[:]:-(([/:]
Rodge

Postby gwennie » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:09 pm

Rob, I fancy you as the next "Austin Powers"...LOL

Have any of you seen the AP movies, and if so what did you think? I thought they were tremendous, Mike Myers is a comic genius IMO, and those movies had me LOL all throughout...

So Rob, who would be your MiniMe?? (Maybe he's "close" to home).
gwennie

Postby Rodge » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:40 pm

Gwennie, if you fancy me as the next Austin Powers, I'll go get the outfit immediately as long as you'll be my Heather Graham!!![:]:-}[/:]

"So Rob, who would be you MiniMe?? (Maybe he's "close" to home). Gwennie; one thinks you are being rude AND insulting at the same time!? I shall be watching you closely from now on![:]}:-([/:]!!!!!

Having said that I do have a short bald bloke who works for me at the moment. He does have an evil glint in his eye! [:]:-))[/:]
Rodge

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:48 pm

*coughs and shuffles away*

Taking this back to Frasier (I think it's necessary, the way the coversation is heading), I liked in RDWRER when Marty starts talking like Austin Powers:

"Am i making you randy?" and "shagadelic"
Sideshow Meg

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion