Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

US Government (FAO Marty)

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: US Government (FAO Marty)

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:54 pm

Richard is correct, our rail system is appalling (thankfully I don't have to endure it these days). It actually wasn't too bad as "British rail", a nationalised industry, but since it's gone into private hands it's become a total mess.

Sometimes things are best run on a 'non-profit' basis by the government...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby gwennie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:57 pm

That is "funny" BN because our rail system here, "Amtrak" is generally thought of as AWFUL[:]}:-(([/:], AND IT IS RUN BY THE GOVERNMENT. The government may now cut the cord and have it run privately, which is the opposite of your situation.
gwennie

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:03 pm

Well people moaned and moaned about British Rail for years as a nationalised industry, but now it's been privatised all hell has broken loose and sadly we've had a few derailments too (caused by poor track maintainance) with some horrendous loss of life.

Maybe in the US the private firms would get their act together more but in this country it simply hasn't worked. I'm sure the people who moaned about British Rail before would gladly have those days return...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby gwennie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:13 pm

Ours is such a car dependent country that so few ride the rails that there isn't a bigger clamor for better rail service. Gas is cheap compared to you in the UK and people would rather just hop in the car than take the rail. Plus short flights between big cities aren't all that expensive either. I flew from Chicago to St. Louis last fall for just $110 round trip.
gwennie

Postby Shoryuken » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:15 pm

The rail network is a 'natural monopoly', like the utilities, phones, mail etc - that is to say, it is a sector that is best run as a monopoly, and so should be state-run (to stop a single company holding the country to ransom).

Cost-cutting in a competitive environment leads to drops in what are vital services to many, and (in the case of the rail network anyway) accidents that can often lead to deaths.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best (1946-2005)
Shoryuken

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:19 pm

Wow Gwennie, that's only about £70 over here, which is round about my weekly petrol bill [:]}:-([/:]

Are your domestic flights more relaxed these days or is airport security still making your lives a misery? It used to be like getting a bus...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby marty » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:20 pm

Interesting post regarding the rail service. I too had always thought the European rail service was far superior to ours in the States. I traveled in Europe and the UK many summers ago and was incredibly impressed with the ease and reliability of the travel. Maybe that isn't the case anymore. Gwennie is correct about our love of our cars here in the USA...I paid only $1.79 per gallon for gas today for my car and this despite the fact that oil is now in excess of $50 per barrel. Oddly enough, I paid $2.12 per gallon last May when oil was $45 per barrel (go figure out that one). As for air travel, our rates vary so widely depending on the time of day, day of week, etc. Flying from New York City to Boston though during the week can be three times as expensive as the flight Gwennie was talking about....it pays then to just drive as it's less than four hours by car.
marty

Postby gwennie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:23 pm

I don't fly that much, but the last couple of times the security seemed to have eased a bit. The biggest problem was some idiotic decision to frontal pat down girls/women to see if they were carrying explosives in their bras! It was absurd and led to a lot of protest. I was patted down like that and was terribly offended. But the rule was rescinded a few months ago. Marty is right about the gas...I paid less than him yesterday when I got gas...$1.74 per gallon.
gwennie

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:34 pm

My god, I wasn't aware of the 'patting down' procedure! No wonder they had to rescind it. I bet applications to be an airport security guard rocketed during that period...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby gwennie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:42 pm

Very funny BN[:]:-)[/:]

All kidding aside, it was offensive and apparently a reaction to the two Russian planes that went down last summer allegedly by women concealing plastic explosives in their bras...on the other hand, what would stop a man from doing the same down by his private area??? (Then you wouldn't "feel" so "cock" sure of yourself, huh??...LOL)
gwennie

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:44 pm

Getting into the US is so difficult. On my recent visit, I had to fill out visa and customs forms, do an eye scan and give fingerprints...at heathrow, all they give you is a lousy metal detector
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby marty » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:44 pm

Thank God that policy was rescinded as my family traveled last Christmas and there was no such patdown of her. Oddly, my older son was subject to a thorough search as his belt buckle was "suspect"...he's the ripe old age of 15.
marty

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:46 pm

Touche, Gwennie! Seriously though I think it was an outrageous thing to have to put up with. I wouldn't have wanted to take my wife anywhere for fear she might be groped! I didn't mean to make light of the 'patting down' earlier, but somehow my smutty, innuendo-filled mind took over [:]:-I[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby gwennie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:49 pm

Sorry BN, didn't mean to go off on you like that...[:]:-)[/:] I just get a bit sensitive to that stuff and I know you meant no harm....[:]:-))[/:]
gwennie

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:00 pm

No worries, Gwennie [:];-)[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:44 pm

Trying to catch up here.
Firstly Richard, thanks for your views. Although the British Empire has made some major mistakes I do agree we haven't cocked up everything! I still cannot say we were as successful as the Romans or Greeks!
Secondly Richard we have to stop agreeing like this. It's too worrying!!![:]:-)[/:]

In terms of Privitisation of the US Rail Service Marty, DO whatever you can to stop it. If we are any example it can only lead to disaster.

Fuel: This could be where I get preachy and may annoy a few, so I apologise in advance. $1.74 per gallon!! That really makes my blood boil. No wonder there are so many SUV's in the US and the country is the biggest polluters in the world. That is approx the equivalent to £0.28 per UK Litre? We are paying on average £0.85/litre ($4.83 per gallon!!)
A flight to the US now, can cost as little as £350. Thats about 4 weeks fuel use in my car! It is so cheap because flight fuel is not taxed, in fact it is subsidised. Why??? It is a luxury item. I live in the country and have to use my car and hence have to pay the inflated tax on petrol, and yet a holiday to America is surely a luxury and so why is it not taxed like road fuel? If it was a flight to America would cost a further £400 on average. Also the environmental impact per person for a flight across the atlantic is the equivalent to an entire years impact of one persons car AND home use!! I understand the paradox of values but this is taking the piss. I really do not begrudge people flights aboard for holidays, but why can't it be taxed more, it may make people think longer and harder.....I shall end here before I really sound like some Greenpeace activist!!

One final point for Meg, the eye scan and finger printing is not part of some airport security. It is purely so that 'Big Brother' can be watching you. If they bring that to the UK then that will be the last time I ever fly. (I have similar feelings about the proposed ID cards)
Also Gwennie, I still think it is a major infringement of your person, but surely you were patted down by a woman? In the UK those kind of 'searches can only be carried out by a same sex person? It does amaze me, with all the technology that we have at our finger tips that there is not a more 'appropriate' way of checking a person for concealed items?

Post Edited (02-22-05 19:50)
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:54 pm

My friend set off the alarm at the airport and was patted down. i found it hilarious, and she did to as the guard was really fit! (yes it was a guy Rob before you start concocting lesbian fantasies in that little warped mind of yours)
Sideshow Meg

Postby gwennie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:00 pm

Rob has lesbian fantasies??
gwennie

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:02 pm

Of course, he's a guy. Question: Do all men get turned on my the idea of lesbians? and if so why?
Sideshow Meg

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:10 pm

I'm not sure Meg, if Gwennie meant it that way!!
Rodge

Postby gwennie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:14 pm

How do you think I meant it Rob??
gwennie

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:15 pm

Whatever Rob.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:30 pm

Sorry Meg, what did I say???[:]:-([/:]
Rodge

Postby Shoryuken » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:19 am

"Do all men get turned on my the idea of lesbians? and if so why?"

Its just one of them things. Its like most women's phobia of gaining a single ounce in weight. Not to generalise at all. ;)
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best (1946-2005)
Shoryuken

Postby Rodge » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:37 am

There is a classic line from Frasier:
"How can men use sex to get what they want.....sex is what they want"

It in a nutshell defines all (most) men. If women say they do not understand men then that phrase sums it up.

In terms of answering your question Meg, men fancy women and all that is woman. Two women naked..... need I say more! I bet however if most men are honest the fantasy always ends in a threesome! Men would feel too threatened otherwise.

PS Shory, I suggest you dive for cover very soon after that remark!!!!!!

Post Edited (02-22-05 23:39)
Rodge

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion