Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Well, this is a frost!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Well, this is a frost!

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:45 pm

Just logged on today to note that there's now a split between on and off topic forums.

Does anyone else find it irritating to have to click on two buttons just to catch up? It reminds me of the language screen at the start of the Frasier DVDs....

I know some people were annoyed at OT posts, but I think this solution is a "springe to catch a woodcock" to paraphrase the Bard. It makes me less likely to drop by, to be honest...

Fantastic snow at the moment, although it's bloody cold (-20C or so at the top of the hill). More snow forecast tomorrow.....

Hope you're all well!

James
JamesB

Re: Well, this is a frost!

Postby Jocelyn » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:05 pm

I have to say I think the split between forums works very well (definitely not as annoying as those dastardly DVD language menus!).

Anyway, welcome back James. Are you in a "Ski Lodge" by any chance?[:]:-)[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:41 pm

No, a "chalet", actually.

Quite what the difference between a lodge and a chalet is I don't know....

I'm sure I'll get used to the new arrangements given time.

I meant the site, of course!

J
JamesB

Postby Rodge » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:12 pm

Hi James, Nice to see you back for a brief chilly visit. I'm with you, that the new set up is a little annoying, but as with life the normal amongst us have to follow rules that have been instigated because of actions by the minority. (In this case petty moans by people who rarely visit this site!) As expected though the Off Topic side has already had approx twice as many posts already!!! need I say more.[:]:-))[/:]
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:18 am

It was a 'split' decision between Stuart, Shoryuken and myself regarding the changes made to the forum. I was the 'splitter' who wanted the forum kept as it was (and sod the people who moaned about off topic threads!) I have to say though now Stuart has implemented the change I like it much better. It's more organised and I don't have to feel guilty about posting an off topic thread just so people aren't offended!

Well done Stu [:]DRINK[/:]
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:08 am

Fair enough BN, My complaint certainly was not at you 3, you're doing a great job, I just think the irony was the fact that the initial moans were instigated by people who have made around 50 posts in 6 months at people who are regular posters who have exhausted most current Frasier related topics and just wanted to get to know their fellow regulars, until a new Frasier topic was raised. I'm just glad I do not work for the same Company as them. I would dread their Xmas party if all they wanted to talk about was work!!! Lighten up. Frasier is a great sitcom, but it does not rule our lives.[:]:-)[/:]
e.g. Go Brentford FC!!!!
Rodge

Postby Phil Branch » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:49 am

Bless you Rob [b]
Phil Branch

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:53 am

Hey Phil, If I'm honest, I have never seen the Bees play. Am I stupidly optimistic to hope that it is being shown on terrestrial TV today, so I can just see how good these boys are. (if so what time is kick off?) At least then I can make informed comments tomorrow.

I know this should be on the FA Cup thread but it is so cumbersome now so I've cheated a bit...sorry.

Post Edited (02-19-05 10:56)
Rodge

Postby marty » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:33 pm

I've gotten used to the split Forum, though at first it does take away from the "spontaneity" of seeing all the threads at once. It will be interesting to see what topics are raised here for discussion.
marty

Postby Shoryuken » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:53 pm

Never mind, posted in wrong thread

*wanders off, embarrassed* ;)

Post Edited (02-19-05 14:54)
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best (1946-2005)
Shoryuken

Postby JamesB » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:29 pm

My crit was probably slightly unfair. I like my surfing to be as easy as poss, and it's just become a bit more difficult on this site.

However, I find myself wondering why as a "Frasier-loving community" we have to be segregated. I can understand that some newbies and those who only want to discuss matters relating to the series might get a bit annoyed by OT chatter. But, now that the prog is over, I would have thought that regular visitors to the site should be able to talk about what they like and develop further their freindships made on the basis of a shared admiration for a programme and, I would add, their friendships made at this site.

On one level the split shouldn't affect my posting. But subliminally I find myself checking the OT threads more than the Frasier ones. This, I feel, is not what the site is mainly about... Also, if I want to make an OT point in a topic on the main Fraiser thread, dare I? Will I be flamed if I do? And what about vice versa? Those only reading the Frasier bit might miss out. For example, I have just spotted a couple of goofs in an early ep I think have not been spotted before (I may be wrong). Where to post?

I don't want to seem critical in any way towards the moderators and Stuart in particular. I'm really grateful they have given up their time to this site, as I know many others who visit regularly are too. This is a great resource. But it is also a community, a group of people, who share and disagree on many things (not least our fave eps). I hope I haven't narked too many people with this post, but I just wanted to say what I feel.

Best

J
JamesB

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:54 pm

No worries James, it's good to get feedback from members about this. I guess I can speak for Stuart when I say he has a flexible attitude to the site and will take notice of members views.

My own view is that it's just a matter of getting used to it. I regularly check both forums for new posts and don't find it a pain at all now I'm used to it.

I also wouldn't worry too much about where to post. If you have an O/T post that has a tie-in with Frasier (i.e. when we all talked about what our favourite tipple was) then I think it could go in either forum without anyone getting too upset.

I hope you continue to post here James, it would be sad to lose your contribution because of this.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:56 pm

I agree James, I apologise, but the only analogy I can come up with right now is a Pub, where a load of like minded people can get together to discuss a common interest, but also chat about other things. The advantage of the forum is it allows entry to anyone young/old/foreign and domestic. We may not all agree but the fun is in the discussion. I even enjoy the discussions with the likes of Richard (if the name calling both ways is avoided) as it taxes the mind a little. Sometimes a good mature discussion about politics/religion etc can be much more stimulating than discussing Daphnes dress sense in, say, series 7 eps 6!!![:]:-))[/:]
By the way, great to see you back on a more regular basis James.
Rodge

Postby JamesB » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:30 pm

well, I'm snowed in at the moment...

I've enjoyed my rest from posting but will be back more often. I love this site. As I said before, no crit meant to the mods at all, and I know I'll get used to the arrangements after time. And yeah, Rob, this is like a good pub...

The thing I don't want to lose is the community (a word I've perhaps overused) around here. Let's hope we don't split....
J
JamesB

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:38 pm

Agreed!

By the way BN; I got a very brief e-mail with an apology form our 'fish'! No explanation though.
Rodge

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:04 pm

Maybe he's about to start posting again then. I'll keep my eyes peeled, no matter which 'guise' he choses! (apologies to all those who haven't got the foggiest idea what we're talking about)
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:33 am

Ah, James, dark days are in for us...I can see it. The community is already splitting up. Friendships are being torn...brother is fighting against brother...sister against sister...multiple selves against multiple selves...we are being torn apart! Slowly, slowly, our lives are being shredded and put through the waste disposer - our hopes and dreams are being flushed down the toilet and depression sinks in...

Oh, never mind. Let's go watch Frasier.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Ali 75 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:53 am

I wasn't going to bother posting about this as I'm bound to say the wrong thing, but.....my only worry about having an off topic board was that the posts on the Frasier board would dry up, it is less busy, but as that's the board I'm mainly interested in I don't mind as it's less congested now. I wasn't that bothered either way, the show is over so off topic posts were bound to happen.

It does make me laugh though that people threaten to leave the board because of something or other but end up coming back time after time and posting quite regularly[:]:-}[/:]. I'm sure that'll be me in future!
Ali 75

Postby Rodge » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:09 am

Ali, you have used that phrase before "I'm bound to say the wrong thing"!. Do remember that you are a 'veteran' of this site, so when you speak people tend to listen and I for one always take note of your comments as they tend to reflect the truth.
I agree that the new set up although slightly more time consuming does not really worry me too much now that I've got used to it and as you stated (just like me) people keep coming back. That's because the site and most of the people on it are great company and stimulate the mind after/during a mondain day at work. I've still got to allow some time to get my house finished, but I just can't avoid visiting the site else I get cold turkey!! It's just too damn good.[:]:-}[/:]
Rodge

Postby Sideshow Meg » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:24 pm

I think it's a good idea. Reminder: i need to email you Rob, so expect one very soon
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Return to Off Topic Discussion