Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Sleeplessness

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Sleeplessness

Postby Shoryuken » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:54 am

Anyone else incapable of sleeping? Ive been telling myself that Im going to go to bed shortly since about midnight. Its now 3am. Im going to have to go to bed soon though as sadly I cant sleep all day tomorrow. Its a bad habit to get into anyway..

So, long story short, anyone else up at this hour ?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best (1946-2005)
Shoryuken

Re: Sleeplessness

Postby secret » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:44 am

yup. you still there? *L*
secret

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:35 am

It's a pity I missed you earlier Shoryuken, I'm working nights this week and I've been bored out of my skull! It would have been good to chat for a bit. I used to suffer with insomnia a few years ago but not so much now, just the enforced sleeplessness I endure through work...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:59 am

I was actually awake at 3am this morning, but in no fit state to post! I was awoken by our cat crushing shrew bones under the bed...nice!!![:]:-O[/:]
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby marty » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:41 am

I usually have no trouble falling asleep, but wake up rather early after only 6-7 hours of sleep. I guess that's all I need at this "advanced" age...when I check in here at 5 a.m. in the eastern US, it's already mid-morning for you in the UK...gives me a bit of a head start on my day.
marty

Postby Shoryuken » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:39 pm

I think I went to bed at about 3.30.. sorry guys - it appears Im a lightweight ;)

Im not doing it again - Ive got to sort my sleeping pattern out as hopefully I'll be going back to college and work next week. Ive managed to screw my sleeping pattern up nicely over the past few weeks through not going to college and work, though that hasnt been entirely my fault. Long story - shall I bore you with the details? I think I shall.. ;)

3 weeks ago today I was playing roller hockey in the local park when I accidentally took a stick in the face (on the left eyebrow - as we are only playing for fun, we dont bother with helmets, cages etc), which knocked me silly. After regaining my senses and going home I thought nothing of it, and just assumed that the fact that it was very swollen and hurting a lot was due to it turning into a nice shiner, nothing more. Or so I thought, until a couple of days after, when I tried blowing my nose and my face felt like it was going to explode. That, combined with a constant headache Id had since the accident, made me decide to get it looked at, where it turned out that Id managed to give myself multiple fractures in my left eye socket. This required surgery to correct it (as the misformed eye socket was giving me problems with double vision in certain parts of my field of vision), which meant I spent a few days in hospital last week. The problem is, however, that despite the surgery Ive still got double vision, which while I was assured it would go away as the swelling from the surgery goes down, it hasnt. Ive got to go back tomorrow to get it looked at again, where hopefully they wont have to go and carve my face up again - I already look like Frankenstein's monster [:]:-(([/:]. They have said that it shouldnt scar too badly though as theyve used the same incision as they use for cosmetic surgery - it may look bad now while its healing, but it should be fine afterwards. It had better be, Im not going to have my good looks ( ;) ) ruined..

All in all, its been a fun few weeks, which have mostly consisted of sitting around and laying in bed with my face hurting. Just as it had stopped really hurting from the initial accident, they operated on it (they had to wait for the initial swelling to go down), which has made it hurt again like it did before. Its only just starting to stop hurting again now. The other problem is, I still currently look like Ive been in a bar-room brawl, which isnt good as thats the conclusion a lot of people have jumped to when Ive been out and about..
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best (1946-2005)
Shoryuken

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:02 pm

Well, that's made my complaint about my murderous cat seem like childs play. I remember in the Show yourself off thread you mentioned your battered face, and that was some time back. Well, I hope you fully recover soon Shoryuken, but just remember the women do go for the distinguised scar look! if thats any concilation. Try to keep smiling[:]:-)[/:]
Rodge

Postby Shoryuken » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:31 pm

Cats are wonderful, arent they? We used to have one when I was little that would bring back sparrows shed killed as 'presents' for us.. made a lovely mess all over the doorstep.

Thanks for the kind words Rob - I'll bear the 'distinguished scar' comment in mind the next time I go out down town.. I'll try and use it like Niles uses his 'Im available' face in an episode (cant remember which) ;)
Shoryuken

Postby gwennie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:34 pm

That's awful what happened to you Shoryuken...hopefully you'll heal up just fine and won't suffer any long term effects.[:]:-)[/:]

Happy Valentine's Day to you all....
gwennie

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:35 pm

'Three Dates and a break up' Part I, I'd would advise against it though as someone may offer you constipation tablets!!!![:]:-O[/:] Maybe you'll just have to be like Jake and Elwood Blues, who permanently wear their shades. Nobody has ever been 'cooler' than those boys![:]8-)[/:]
Rodge

Postby Shoryuken » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:43 pm

gwennie - I cant really complain, it was my own fault in a way.. I should have had my head up and been looking where I was going. As it was, I turned left while I was looking right, and got my friend's stick in my face for my troubles. Oh well..

Rob - The Blues Brothers are great..

"Chicken wire... ?"
Shoryuken

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:32 pm

Problem solved, just 'Do the mashed Potato'[:]8-)[/:]
Rodge

Postby Sideshow Meg » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:21 pm

I am such a lightweight. i slept from 10 last night to 1 this afternoon. (I had an inset day though). Once I stayed up until 3 watching a marathon of Friends dvds with my cousin. I took a lot of coffee
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby tenpercenter » Sun May 22, 2011 5:39 am

there is nothing worse than not being able to sleep when u r tired
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby barnaclelapse » Sun May 22, 2011 3:45 pm

I sleep like a coke fiend. I average three to four hours a night and wake up constantly within that. People are frequently horrified that I can function like that. Auto-pilot is a beautiful thing. That's all I can say.
barnaclelapse

Postby Forever Jung » Sun May 22, 2011 9:45 pm

:twisted: On average, Jo and I tend to go to bad around 4 in the morning.
Read for a bit, say half an hour.
Then toss and turn for god knows how long, again, say another half hour.

So I recon I get to sleep round about 5am.

Then I get up the next day somewhere around 2 in the afternoon.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun May 22, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to sleeping patterns. I generally go to bed between 1.30 to 2am, to be up between 8 and 9 next day, and i'm pretty much dead to the world within a couple of minutes of my head hitting that pillow. I'm useless at reading in bed as i rarely last more than fifteen minutes before i've gone.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon May 23, 2011 3:25 am

I have to really work at my sleeping pattern. Heh, funny reading my post above from 6 years ago as things haven't changed at all. When I'm on night shifts (like now) I try and go to sleep mid-afternoon to get something in the bank before starting my 12 hour shift at 19:30. I tend to get home around 08:00 the following morning and sleep 'til around midday - I do that for 4 days at a time. I'm pretty knackered for the next couple of days when trying to get back on to a 'day' pattern too but try to avoid the quick fix of drinking loads of alcohol to send me to sleep at a decent hour as I tend to pay for it the next day...

I think it's telling that in 15 years working shifts I've known 3 different people who've suffered nervous breakdowns while working this pattern. Not saying this was the sole reason of course, but I don't think the hours help.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Forever Jung » Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm

:twisted: WAs struggling to get to sleep last night.
Must have been about 6.30/7 o clock before I got some shut eye.

It might have been the Stephen King about OCD that had something to do with it :roll:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby barnaclelapse » Tue May 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I'm pretty lucky when it comes to sleeping patterns. I generally go to bed between 1.30 to 2am, to be up between 8 and 9 next day, and i'm pretty much dead to the world within a couple of minutes of my head hitting that pillow. I'm useless at reading in bed as i rarely last more than fifteen minutes before i've gone.

Lucky bastard.
barnaclelapse

Postby tubalcain » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 pm

How any of us sleep at all is a mystery to me given the shit we pump into our bodies during daylight hours.
I had to remove many,many products before finding a reasonable balance.
tubalcain

Return to Off Topic Discussion