Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Driving in the USA

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Driving in the USA

Postby Whine Dr Crane ? » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:00 pm

Anyone on here ever been to the US and hired a car ?

I'm thinking of flying into Orlando as I can get cheap deals in work, and then taking the scenic east coast route up to Boston (and a visit to Cheers of course [:]DRINK[/:]), stopping en route at the likes of Washington and New York.

Just wondering if anyone has done anything similar and has any recommendations ?

I fancied something a bit different than lazing on a sunbed for 2 weeks this year [:]8-)[/:]
'well wouldn't you ?'
Whine Dr Crane ?

Re: Driving in the USA

Postby marty » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:24 pm

Well, I live in the Boston area and have traveled up and down the Coast several times...you can find various rental car deals on the internet and the trip up the coast is pretty easy. From Orlando you'd head east til you hit interestate 95 heading north and stay on that all the way up the coast. Gasoline is much cheaper here than in the UK...regular gas is about $1.85 per gallon now. Traveling up the coast will take you to cities as diverse as Savannah, Georgia and up into South and North Caroline, Richmond, Virginia, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York then up through Connecticut into Boston...that's a lot of ground to cover in two weeks, but well worth it, espec. with the exchange rate favoring you as it does now.
marty

Postby Whine Dr Crane ? » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:31 pm

Cheers Marty, I'll pop in to say hello when I'm in Boston!!

is the bar where Cheers was filmed worth a visit then ?

I was thinking it's a lot to do in 2 weeks, but I've always fancied doing it and with my circumstances changing this year I'm now in a position to please myself and I'm going for it this year!!!!

I've been on the map router and it says it's 1,200 miles from Orlando to Boston, I was thinking of doing 300 miles a day roughly on the way up which will take me 4 days with 4 overnight stops along the way.
I'll probably then stay in Boston for 2 nights, drive down to New York for 2 nights, and then make my way back down to Orlando, taking in Washington and a few other landmarks along the way [:]DRINK[/:]

The exchange rate and the price of petrol is another tempting factor in my decision!!!!

can you recommend any cities/sites along the way ?
'well wouldn't you ?'
Whine Dr Crane ?

Postby marty » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:47 pm

Well, the supposed Cheers Bar is on Beacon Street in Boston, but the show was actually filmed in Hollywood in a "facsimile"...the actual bar is a bit different in layout and has become what one would expect: a tourist destination with all the accoutrements, such as souvenirs galore. You'd be far better off walking the historic Freedom Trail which will take you to most of the major historical areas in and around downtown Boston...I did mention some of the cities you'll pass through on I-95...it is a lot to take in over a two week period, and a lot of driving as well...Philadelphia, Washinton, New York and Boston are all worth spending time in. You can literally spend a good week in each city, so it's best to plot out your trip and decide what you want to see beforehand so you don't get too overwhelmed.
marty

Postby Whine Dr Crane ? » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:52 pm

Thanks for the advice Marty!

I will be plotting out my route as I like to be organised, I wish I could spend more time in each city, but it will have a whirlwind tour of as many major cities as I can fit in - which should be hectic but good fun [:]NUT[/:]
'well wouldn't you ?'
Whine Dr Crane ?

Postby marty » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:09 pm

I'll think of some other suggestions and post them later on...
marty

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:41 am

New England is meant to be especially beautiful....also its got perhaps the most history in the US.

Have a beer in the cheers bar!
Richard

Return to Off Topic Discussion