Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Valentine's Day

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Valentine's Day

Postby gwennie » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:42 pm

Ok, here goes...this may be a bit "sappy" but what was your most romantic Valentine's Day?? Here's mine: a few years ago my boyfriend came home from work without a card or a gift. I had a card and a box of chocolate for him and gave it to him. I was a little sad, but tried not to show it. The doorbell then rang and there was nobody there. I did see a small box with a card on the door mat, picked them up and brought them in. It was a Valentine's card and inside the box was a beautiful pair of earrings! I was floored...and began crying...(sap that I am)...(But we broke up a few months later unfort...)
gwennie

Re: Valentine's Day

Postby Rodge » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:34 pm

Our 1 year Valentines with my current girlfriend was the best 10 years ago!!
I booked a table at a posh restaurant that was about 200 yards from our home. I bought a dress and laid it on the bed for her to wear and then booked a Mercedes taxi to take us the 200 yards!!! I also arranged 24 red roses to be delivered to the table. When we had finished we stolled back through the park, and just as we approached the band stand it lit up and a string quartet, started playing 'The first time' (before the guy in the Vicar of Dibley did it!!). Unfortunately I used up all my romantic ideas (and money!!) on this occassion and it has been a bugger to follow ever since.

Now I have to be honest. I did get the day wrong and we did it on the 12th rather than the 14th, but it worked quite well as we had the whole restaurant to ourself and the service was excellent and they weren't rushing to get us out!!!
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby gwennie » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:43 pm

Whew Rob, that is some romantic gesture you made, I'm sure she "treated" you well thereafter...[:]:-p[/:] So you've been with your girlfriend that long?
gwennie

Postby Rodge » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:11 pm

Yep, a ten year sentence (for her anyway!!)[:]:-))[/:]
Rodge

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:51 pm

That's always the trouble. I did the "red roses on the bed" thing for me and my missus' first Valentine's and haven't been able to follow it up since. I also made the mistake of spending a fortune on engraved jewellery for her first Christmas and birthday presents. My advice to any young lovers out there would be "Start cheap and build up!"

I'm sorry, this post isn't really in keeping with the spirit of things is it? [:]:-))[/:]
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby marty » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:07 pm

I "hear you" BN...after 18 years of marriage we keep Valentine's Day low-key, and my wife's birthday is Feb. 24, so I focus on that instead...I usually get her a card and some flowers with roses mixed in, and that is what I shall do tom'w...
marty

Postby Rodge » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:16 pm

Excellent advice BN as usual, It may sound Bah Humbug lads, but so is life. It sets you up nicely, and then shits on you from a height! Always let the partener expect very little so when you get something bigger it's a nice surprise!
When she asks when you will be back, if in reality you think it will be 5.30. then tell her 6, so when you turn up at 5.45, you get hugs rather than a rolling pin! either that or you catch her with a new man and you know that flying shit is coming!!!! (ironically it's not happened to me, but I'm always prepared for the worse, it makes life more acceptable)[:]:-)[/:]
Men will never understand women, so do not try to. just live life pesimistically and you'll accept contentment with a smile!
Rodge

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:55 pm

The best Valentine's Day I ever had was when I was going out with Santa. Let's see, this would have been February 14th, 2001...contrary to popular belief, Santa does not have reindeer pull his sleigh, but in fact uses six pigs and six hippopotamuses to transport him around the world. Anyway, the second I heard the sleigh screech up in front of my house, I knew I was in for the best Valentine's Day of my life...and yes, it was romantic. He gave me a lovely necklace that he'd bought for 17p (IMAGINE THAT!) It's a fortune! Then he took me out to dinner at a wonderful, first-class restaurant I believe is called 'McDonald's?' The two meals cost five hundred pounds alone, but at least I spent that five hundred pounds in a sophisticated upper-class restaurant, rather than some disgusting fast food place...

However, the worst Valentine's day came a year later...Mrs. Claus came home early and found me unwrapping a beautiful diamond ring in Santa's living room. It turned out to be her wedding ring. She had an almighty fit, called me names you would not believe - and then threw me out! I was appalled at her nerve! Anyway, Santa was, understandably, very distressed about the whole business, so if anyone's presents have not seemed up to their usual standards in the last few Christmases, it's because Santa is still pining over Mrs. Claus and me.

On a serious note - it's a lovely topic, Gwennie, not sappy at all! I like sappy stuff anyway...I can be quite sentimental at times...it was nice to read of yours, though sorry to hear you split up...
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:04 am

BGF you are BARKING!!! I initially read your post as a sarcastic comment about a portly, bearded ex-boyfriend who bought you cheap jewellery and took you to McD's a lot. I then realised you were simply insane (the flying pigs and hippapotamusses gave it away [:]:-))[/:] )
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:47 am

BGF: DID YOU SAY FEB 2001!!!!!!!!!

That two-timing bastard. He told me he had to wash his hair on that night! What a git. That's the last time I believe in Santa. Ah well I think I got the better deal when I turned up to Santas place that night and Mrs Claus had a better offer on the table...the sofa....the kitchen sink....oh and the washing machine; oh momma!!![:]:-}[/:]
Rodge

Postby gwennie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:27 pm

I have to mention this one...a co-worker of mine came in today wearing a complete red outfit...red turtleneck sweater, red skirt and red tights with red shoes!! We all kind of shook our heads...
gwennie

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:32 pm

See BGF is not mad, that sounds like Santa after his next victim. Don't trust him Gwennie!!!!![:]:-I[/:]
Rodge

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:42 pm

Poor Rob. I'm sorry you had to find out. He did tell me about you, but he told me you were his brother - I never would have continued if I'd known you were involved...

He must have always worn his hat when he was with you, otherwise you would have known that Santa is completely bald. He had an accident with a lawnmower, a spade, and some electric cables. Don't ask...just don't ask.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:04 pm

That's really sweet Rob. I didn't even get one card, not even one email, nothing
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:07 pm

What about Rich, I thought you were going to the Prom with him [:]?[/:] Did you send any Meg?
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:09 pm

I was on holiday so didn't really get a chance. Not one valentine card.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:12 pm

[:]:-([/:] Nevermind Meg, Rich and Ed are obviously both a sandwich short of a picnic [:]NUT[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:24 pm

Oh well. Valentines day has turned into a commercial field day anyway. I don't actually mind because when i read an email from Rob, I almost cried it was so sweet
Sideshow Meg

Postby gwennie » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:26 pm

Welcome back Meg[:]:-)[/:]

Glad you had a good time...forget about the Valentine...it's a big commercial thing as you say...
gwennie

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:38 pm

But Meg, you will be receiving some cards - it's just as Niles said, they figured it wouldn't be a surprise for you if they sent you cards on the day, so they're waiting a week, and then...SURPRISE!

I'm glad you had a good holiday. But just so everyone knows, she wasn't really on holiday. Meg was tied up in my basement, being fed nothing but bread and water, while I watched her Frasier DVDs. Did you have fun with all the cobwebs, Meg?[:]:-)[/:]

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:56 pm

You're beginning to scare me now, BGF. I mean even more than usual.[:];-)[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:11 pm

^ Well, Jocelyn, be afraid...be very afraid...I know where you live! [:]:-)[/:]

Meg is fine...although she won't be pleased to discover that I've switched her Frasier DVDs around with inferior copies with such terrible picture and sound quality that you can't bear to watch any more after two minutes.

Post Edited (02-20-05 22:11)

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:26 pm

Sure you did BGF. I went to a poster shop in SF and saw a huge 'BTTF' poster. I thought of you
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:54 pm

Thank you, Meg! Which kind of poster was it? Was it just of Marty, or was Doc there too?

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:45 pm

It was the movie advertisement poster. It was very cool
Sideshow Meg

Return to Off Topic Discussion