Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Detour

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Detour

Postby ProOperaVoter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:19 am

So, I thought I'd watched all of the Frasier episodes, then found this one tucked esoterically between the "Charlotte Phase" and "Conclusion Trio." I have to say I have mixed feelings about this one. It has one or two really funny moments (e.g. the expression on Niles's face as he says "Sex Workers") but seems an awful lot like filler for the fourth-to-last episode. The only event of any significance was the moment where Charlotte revealed she was moving; this was in the first five minutes or so, and could have been slipped into the end or beginning of the previous or next episode respectively-- it even could have been dumped into Goodnight, Seattle. Your thoughts?
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Re: Detour

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:59 pm

A lot of people dislike Detour. It's actually one of my more favorite episodes. I love the whole Creepy McCreeperson family but I think what a lot of people miss is Frasier finally realizing how much in love with Charlotte he is. He is finally with someone where he doesn't have to be a neurotic freak all the time and he finds himself laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation. Contrast that with how he reacts in Cranes Go Caribbean when thing go bad. I just think Detour is a very well placed and fun episode.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:31 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:A lot of people dislike Detour. It's actually one of my more favorite episodes. I love the whole Creepy McCreeperson family but I think what a lot of people miss is Frasier finally realizing how much in love with Charlotte he is. He is finally with someone where he doesn't have to be a neurotic freak all the time and he finds himself laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation. Contrast that with how he reacts in Cranes Go Caribbean when thing go bad. I just think Detour is a very well placed and fun episode.

It's true that, had he been on this trip with any other of the women he had known previously, it would have been a disaster. Charlotte has a unique ability to keep it together when placed in the most extreme situations. I mean if this would have been real life, I for one would have fled this house of horror, lest one the residents would have come to "Lizzie-borden" my traveling companion and me. :lol: Each of them, seemed demented enough to do something like that.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby ProOperaVoter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Patrick wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:A lot of people dislike Detour. It's actually one of my more favorite episodes. I love the whole Creepy McCreeperson family but I think what a lot of people miss is Frasier finally realizing how much in love with Charlotte he is. He is finally with someone where he doesn't have to be a neurotic freak all the time and he finds himself laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation. Contrast that with how he reacts in Cranes Go Caribbean when thing go bad. I just think Detour is a very well placed and fun episode.

It's true that, had he been on this trip with any other of the women he had known previously, it would have been a disaster. Charlotte has a unique ability to keep it together when placed in the most extreme situations. I mean if this would have been real life, I for one would have fled this house of horror, lest one the residents would have come to "Lizzie-borden" my traveling companion and me. :lol: Each of them, seemed demented enough to do something like that.

Yeah, I thought I liked it too, but wasn't sure whether that was just because I hadn't seen it before.

:o It's my account's first birthday!
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:55 pm

ProOperaVoter wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Yeah, I thought I liked it too, but wasn't sure whether that was just because I hadn't seen it before.

:o It's my account's first birthday!

Happy anniversary! :wink:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:30 am

Yes, I quite like Detour. Probably grown more on me since the show ended. It's a fair point made about how Frasier's feelings are portrayed.

I presume some of the dislike comes from it appearing so close to the end of the show. I suppose people expected every episode in that run-in to have a solid, on-the-nose, reason to be there. There's a natural preference to see episodes pushing story continuity for all the main characters towards a satisfactory conclusion.

Hopefully, in retrospect, people judge the episode more favourably. I know i do.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby heartofmotion » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:19 am

All the other characters are on track by then - it's only Frasier's story which needs resolution.

I think Detour is very significant in establishing Frasier and Charlotte's relationship. They've got together, there's an obstacle in that Charlotte is moving back to Chicago, and they then go on this unplanned journey, ending up in an unknown place way out of their comfort zones. The strange things they encounter bring them closer much more quickly than would happen otherwise. As a result, I think it's much easier to believe Frasier would follow Charlotte to Chicago in the finale.
heartofmotion

Return to Frasier Discussion