Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Daphne blocking her stomach

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Daphne blocking her stomach

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:29 am

It's pretty obvious when Daphne (or Leeves) starts blocking her growing pregnant stomach with big purses/ baggy clothes/ holding things/ keeping her arms up. But I've recently realized that she does this way before her weight gain is obvious and even for a long time after she had the baby/lost the weight. Has anyone else ever noticed this? I mean, it's understandable that they'd want to hide Leeve's pregnancy, but the rest seems excessive and even annoying now that I've noticed it. I was just watching the episode where Frasier offers to pay for her wedding to Donnie when I noticed it already.
frasier floyd

Re: Daphne blocking her stomach

Postby Patrick » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:48 am

For some reason that reminds me of Frasier (the way he walks to the kitchen) after Mel told them that she had some sort of "x-ray vision" for physical imperfections. :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:45 am

I think it's pretty impossible that she was pregnant in Father of the Bride, since that episode is early in Season 7, seeing as her stomach isn't very big at the beginning of season 8. Plus, I watched the episode again, and I can't really see it. She has her hands in front of her stomach a few times, and Roz's bridesmaid's dress once, but that's all. In SBSB, which is at the end of season 7, there are plenty of scenes where her stomach is clearly visible, and it's still completely flat.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby frasier floyd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:21 am

Yea, it's a while from that episode that her pregnancy shows (I mean, a few episodes later she's trying on the 60's wedding dress and looks great). It's just something I noticed her doing and was just kind of curious about it. I don't come here all that often anymore but I guess at the time of that posting it felt worthy of sharing haha.
frasier floyd

Postby PistolPoet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:30 am

Hey, sure, it's not like we have new episodes to look forward to, posting about quirky stuff like this is pretty much all there's left :P.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby frasier floyd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Haha true. Plus, I've honestly seen some Frasier episodes SO many times that I've just started noticing little quirks like that with the show or the acting. For instance, Leeves also purses her lips funny occasionally while the audience laughs after she speaks :)
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 pm

frasier floyd wrote:Haha true. Plus, I've honestly seen some Frasier episodes SO many times that I've just started noticing little quirks like that with the show or the acting. For instance, Leeves also purses her lips funny occasionally while the audience laughs after she speaks :)

I can see when she's about to burst into laughter, like with that exploding shaving cream incident.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby ProOperaVoter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:51 pm

So Jane Leeves has two children, Isabel (b. 2001) and Finn (b. 2003). Her first pregnancy was worked into the plot as a weight-gaining issue, with the few episodes she spent at "Fat Camp" her maternity leave from the show. Her pregnancy with Finn was, in show terms, her pregnancy with David Crane. But here's the thing; can the producers really have timed things so well that Leeves is still pregnant in Goodnight, Seattle Part 1 and not so in Part 2? And what's more, did the producers work Daphne's pregnancy into the plot with Leeves's pregnancy, or did she and her husband decide that they wanted another child and they might as well do it in a time that synced with the show (which would be somewhat...uh...weird.)?
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:50 pm

ProOperaVoter wrote:So Jane Leeves has two children, Isabel (b. 2001) and Finn (b. 2003). Her first pregnancy was worked into the plot as a weight-gaining issue, with the few episodes she spent at "Fat Camp" her maternity leave from the show. Her pregnancy with Finn was, in show terms, her pregnancy with David Crane. But here's the thing; can the producers really have timed things so well that Leeves is still pregnant in Goodnight, Seattle Part 1 and not so in Part 2? And what's more, did the producers work Daphne's pregnancy into the plot with Leeves's pregnancy, or did she and her husband decide that they wanted another child and they might as well do it in a time that synced with the show (which would be somewhat...uh...weird.)?

My guess is that it's easier to fake being pregnant than to fake the opposite, therefore Jane must have given birth before the episode and they must have faked her pregnancy with pillows in part 1. I don't think they made the second child just to accommodate the show. I know that De Niro loses or gains like twenty kilos for the sake of a role, but first De Niro is the only one that I've known to do that, second a movie is a different thing from a series, third gaining weight is a whole different kettle of fish from creating a child, this would be insanely creepy.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:50 am

Patrick wrote:
ProOperaVoter wrote:So Jane Leeves has two children, Isabel (b. 2001) and Finn (b. 2003). Her first pregnancy was worked into the plot as a weight-gaining issue, with the few episodes she spent at "Fat Camp" her maternity leave from the show. Her pregnancy with Finn was, in show terms, her pregnancy with David Crane. But here's the thing; can the producers really have timed things so well that Leeves is still pregnant in Goodnight, Seattle Part 1 and not so in Part 2? And what's more, did the producers work Daphne's pregnancy into the plot with Leeves's pregnancy, or did she and her husband decide that they wanted another child and they might as well do it in a time that synced with the show (which would be somewhat...uh...weird.)?

My guess is that it's easier to fake being pregnant than to fake the opposite, therefore Jane must have given birth before the episode and they must have faked her pregnancy with pillows in part 1. I don't think they made the second child just to accommodate the show. I know that De Niro loses or gains like twenty kilos for the sake of a role, but first De Niro is the only one that I've known to do that, second a movie is a different thing from a series, third gaining weight is a whole different kettle of fish from creating a child, this would be insanely creepy.

Not the only one (Christian Bale, Charlize Theron, Jared Leto, Vincent D'Onofrio and Russell Crowe immediately spring to mind, but i'd think De Niro was the first high profile actor to have done it?) but the point definitely stands - i can't see Jane Leeves being that 'method' :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Return to Frasier Discussion