Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Foreigners on Frasier.

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Foreigners on Frasier.

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:43 pm

I am talking about people that have at least a few lines.

First we have the British of course with Daphne, her friends, ex-lover and family mostly.

The French mostly chefs or restaurant,grocery shop owners...

The Chinese with that girl that was after Frasier in The Perfect Guy...

The Greek with Martin's forgotten brother's wife...

The Russians in that episode that I'd like to call A Fistful Of Caviar... :lol:

The Italians, also restaurant owners and waiters.

Now there must be a number of them that we only see once in passing like that Korean girl from The Seal That Came To Dinner.

Can you spot a few others?
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Re: Foreigners on Frasier.

Postby welshben23 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 pm

German - Frederika in Forgotten But Not Gone
welshben23

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 pm

welshben23 wrote:German - Frederika in Forgotten But Not Gone

True, and there was also Maris' neighbor in The Seal That Came To Dinner.

And The Fencing instructor in An Affair To Forget that didn't know a word of English.

I don't know if Marta is Spanish, Mexican or Guatemalan, though. Maybe it is said somewhere.

BTW, I don't think we learn which nationality Mrs Gablyczyck is, either, just that she is from central Europe.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frank B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 pm

I'm thinking of Carlos Del Gato in Voyage of the Damned. He must be spanish or something?

And the french ski instructor, Guy, in The Ski Lodge.

There is also the episode where they drive Daphne into Canada by mistake, so the woman in the shop there must be canadian. :)
Last edited by Frank B on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank B

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Frank B wrote:I'm thinking of Carlos Del Gato in Voyage of the Damned. He must be spanish or something?

True, Del Gato ( "of the cat" in Spanish) is either spanish or from some country in south America.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:30 am

Patrick wrote:
Frank B wrote:I'm thinking of Carlos Del Gato in Voyage of the Damned. He must be spanish or something?

True, Del Gato ( "of the cat" in Spanish) is either spanish or from some country in south America.

For some reason I think he's from some South American country.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:27 am

I seem to recall that Del Gato is Argentinian.
Marta is Guatemalan, I think.

There's Manu from Focus Group, though they don't say where exactly he's from.
The old guy who restores the painting in Daphne Does Dinner also has a thick foreign accent, but I can't place it.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 am

PistolPoet wrote:I seem to recall that Del Gato is Argentinian.
Marta is Guatemalan, I think.

There's Manu from Focus Group, though they don't say where exactly he's from.
The old guy who restores the painting in Daphne Does Dinner also has a thick foreign accent, but I can't place it.

I assumed he was German but maybe his accent ins't as typical as I thought.

I thought that Manu was Indian or Pakistani maybe. He speaks like the Indians in that Indiana Jones movie ( the one where he’s in India :lol: ).
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frank B » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I don't think they mention that.

Perhaps you are thinking about the argentine polo player Esteban de Rojo who punched Frasier in the face and is now dead.
Frank B

Postby Patrick » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Frank B wrote:

Perhaps you are thinking about the argentine polo player Esteban de Rojo who punched Frasier in the face and is now dead.

Frasier says that line quite a few times too. :D
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Frank B wrote:

You're right, they just say "Latin" but not the exact nationality. I was convinced someone said he was from Argentina.
PistolPoet

Postby Frasiertime » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:33 pm

The fencing instructor's wife who called the radio show. Frasier thinks Maris is having affair with her husband. Were they German? Also, the owner of Café Nervosa whose name was really Nervosa. Can't recall if she had an accent, though.
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby PistolPoet » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Yup, the fencing instructor was from Bavaria. I don't think Mrs Nervosa had an accent, though. And of course, another Englishman is Elvis Costello :).
PistolPoet

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:32 am

Was Fredericka Martin's temporary health worker? She had the most ridiculous attempt at a 'foreign' accent. It was like she was mocking pretend accents.
frasier floyd

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:28 am

frasier floyd wrote:Was Fredericka Martin's temporary health worker? She had the most ridiculous attempt at a 'foreign' accent. It was like she was mocking pretend accents.

Oh, yes. I end up skipping through scenes with her whenever I watch that episode.
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:41 am

PistolPoet wrote:
frasier floyd wrote:Was Fredericka Martin's temporary health worker? She had the most ridiculous attempt at a 'foreign' accent. It was like she was mocking pretend accents.

Oh, yes. I end up skipping through scenes with her whenever I watch that episode.

I believe she was mocking the accent. She did an impersonation of an English person on Friends until Monica revealed that she was from New York.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frasiertime » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:55 pm

My favorite is the Roz's French boyfriend in a scene in Café Nervosa. Roz wants to end things with him, but since the boyfriend doesn't speak English, she needs Frasier to speak to him in French. The guys end up talking about where to get a good steak to eat while Roz thinks Frasier is letting him down gently. Pretty funny, wish I could remember the episode.

Another one is a caller named Danielle who is speaking English with a French accent and says she has a problem with her "monsieur". Neither Frasier or Roz can understand what she is saying each time she says "monsieur". Was that supposed to be funny, since Frasier spoke French and couldn't understand her? Didn't really get why it was funny.
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby Patrick » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Frasiertime wrote:My favorite is the Roz's French boyfriend in a scene in Café Nervosa. Roz wants to end things with him, but since the boyfriend doesn't speak English, she needs Frasier to speak to him in French. The guys end up talking about where to get a good steak to eat while Roz thinks Frasier is letting him down gently. Pretty funny, wish I could remember the episode.

Another one is a caller named Danielle who is speaking English with a French accent and says she has a problem with her "monsieur". Neither Frasier or Roz can understand what she is saying each time she says "monsieur". Was that supposed to be funny, since Frasier spoke French and couldn't understand her? Didn't really get why it was funny.

It's in Hooping Cranes, Season 8 Episode 15.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Frasiertime wrote:Another one is a caller named Danielle who is speaking English with a French accent and says she has a problem with her "monsieur". Neither Frasier or Roz can understand what she is saying each time she says "monsieur". Was that supposed to be funny, since Frasier spoke French and couldn't understand her? Didn't really get why it was funny.

Yeah, people tend to have divided opinions on that one. She either has a thick/weird accent or the sound quality is bad or both, but I (even though I didn't speak any French at the time) understood she meant "monsieur" right away. Though that's not to say that Frasier had to understand her as well. Sometimes (rarely, but it happens) I can't seem to understand something someone says even in my mother tongue, for no good reason at all - my brain just refuses to interpret it properly.

On a related note, would a French speaking woman actually say "my monsieur" without trying to be funny or ironic? It sounds like something out of the 19th century.
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:57 pm

PistolPoet wrote:
Frasiertime wrote:Another one is a caller named Danielle who is speaking English with a French accent and says she has a problem with her "monsieur". Neither Frasier or Roz can understand what she is saying each time she says "monsieur". Was that supposed to be funny, since Frasier spoke French and couldn't understand her? Didn't really get why it was funny.

Yeah, people tend to have divided opinions on that one. She either has a thick/weird accent or the sound quality is bad or both, but I (even though I didn't speak any French at the time) understood she meant "monsieur" right away. Though that's not to say that Frasier had to understand her as well. Sometimes (rarely, but it happens) I can't seem to understand something someone says even in my mother tongue, for no good reason at all - my brain just refuses to interpret it properly.

On a related note, would a French speaking woman actually say "my monsieur" without trying to be funny or ironic? It sounds like something out of the 19th century.

Actually, a French woman would never say "my monsieur", that's why I never thought much of that passage. It seems so improbable. When servants used to talk about their employers, decades ago, they would say "Monsieur did this" or "Monsieur is here." but even then they wouldn't say "my monsieur" which just sounds weird. At any rate, no modern French woman would ever say "my monsieur" about anybody, not even her employer. Plus her accent wasn't even French. It sounded like someone from central Europe... speaking French or trying to. So I usually dismiss this passage from my mind altogether, as I feel a little embarrassed for the people that wrote it.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby freewill » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:58 am

What about Martha Paxton from The Crucible? I could swear I caught a hint of some exotic accent. Can't quite place it though.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill

Postby TheSaneChoice » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:41 pm

freewill wrote:What about Martha Paxton from The Crucible? I could swear I caught a hint of some exotic accent. Can't quite place it though.

When she opened her lips, cheese fell out!
TheSaneChoice

Postby Patrick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:34 pm

TheSaneChoice wrote:
freewill wrote:What about Martha Paxton from The Crucible? I could swear I caught a hint of some exotic accent. Can't quite place it though.

That's Frasier in Ham Radio about Roz. She could never speak that role correctly, first she was speaking while eating cheese and then she came back from the dentist and was incomprehensible..."I can't believe one of my guests could be a mudipemudeheh..." :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:11 pm

:lol: I love Roz after the dentist.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby TheSaneChoice » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Patrick wrote:
TheSaneChoice wrote:

That's Frasier in Ham Radio about Roz. She could never speak that role correctly, first she was speaking while eating cheese and then she came back from the dentist and was incomprehensible..."I can't believe one of my guests could be a mudipemudeheh..." :lol:

I know yeah, it just reminded me. Hahahah.
TheSaneChoice

Next

Return to Frasier Discussion