Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Editing of syndicated versions

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Editing of syndicated versions

Postby Rickee » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:31 am

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but has anyone noticed that the syndicated versions have been edited? I saw "Matchmaker" on Hallmark not long ago so I could see a scene that I vividly remember even though I haven't seen it since it originally aired 19 years ago. It's the scene where Frasier has just discovered that Tom is gay and that Tom thinks Frasier is too. Part of the dialog is:

Tom: You're cute when you're nervous.
Frasier: I must be downright adorable now, then.

One of the funniest lines in the series, but ... they edited out these two lines!!!! :roll:

Also, I saw "The Two Hundredth" on both Hallmark and a local independent station in the last few months. Bill Gates was in this episode, but ... his section was completely edited out of both showings. What's really crazy is that the TV Guide description for both showings specifically said that Gates appears. :x
Rickee

Re: Editing of syndicated versions

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:34 pm

I'm sure Cat will come and post details of the diabolical cuts made to High Holidays :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Roverman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 pm

It happens a lot over here when a BBC show is shown on a channel with advert breaks. A one hour programme needs to be squeezed into 50 odd minutes so that adverts for overpriced sofas etc can be shown.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Eddie2012 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:56 pm

There are couple of Niles/Martin lines that were cut out in 'The Ski Lodge' just after they arrive at the lodge, on ComedyCentral. Probably not the most hilarious lines in this episode, but Rickee's example from 'The Matchmaker' is quite sad. Is it a stations decision if and what to cut out or do they buy the shows 'trimmed to fit around ads'?
Eddie2012

Postby Rickee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 pm

I've discovered the explanation for this. The Hallmark and local station have 3 commercial breaks lasting a total of 8 minutes. That leaves just 22 minutes for the show. But the full episodes I find on youtube are all between 23 and 24 minutes long. So they have to cut about 1-2 minutes from each show. The Bill Gates segment lasts almost exactly 2 minutes and he is never referred to again in the episode, so it would be an easy decision to cut it.
Rickee

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I'm sure Cat will come and post details of the diabolical cuts made to High Holidays :D

FRIDGE PANTS!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Roverman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:46 pm

They cut FRIDGE PANTS? Jeez that is pretty much the PINNACLE of the whole episode....
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:34 pm

I hope they left DOG ARMY alone, not to mention LET EVERY ONE BE A GIANT FOR A DAY!!! :D
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:14 am

Patrick wrote:I hope they left DOG ARMY alone, not to mention LET EVERY ONE BE A GIANT FOR A DAY!!! :D

Nope. Dog Army is gone too. Can't remember about "giant for a day" though.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:33 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:I hope they left DOG ARMY alone, not to mention LET EVERY ONE BE A GIANT FOR A DAY!!! :D

Nope. Dog Army is gone too. Can't remember about "giant for a day" though.

It's when Martin says that he's tired of making all those turns and that he'd like to be a giant so that he could walk over the buildings.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:29 pm

I remember the line, I just can't remember if they cut it or not. The "fridge pants" cut pisses me off so much that I get focused on it. :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby ShinChuck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:06 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:I remember the line, I just can't remember if they cut it or not. The "fridge pants" cut pisses me off so much that I get focused on it. :lol:

"Dog army" and "fridge pants" were CUT? You've got to be kidding me!

My dad has adopted Frasier as his newest show to catch up on, but he does it the more "traditional" way of waiting for it on TV (which means the Hallmark repeats at night) rather than streaming or DVDs. I was pretty thrilled, but now I'm horrified that he'll miss some of those lines! I'll have to be sure to fire up High Holidays on Netflix for him sometime.
ShinChuck

Postby Patrick » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:29 am

ShinChuck wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I remember the line, I just can't remember if they cut it or not. The "fridge pants" cut pisses me off so much that I get focused on it. :lol:

"Dog army" and "fridge pants" were CUT? You've got to be kidding me!

My dad has adopted Frasier as his newest show to catch up on, but he does it the more "traditional" way of waiting for it on TV (which means the Hallmark repeats at night) rather than streaming or DVDs. I was pretty thrilled, but now I'm horrified that he'll miss some of those lines! I'll have to be sure to fire up High Holidays on Netflix for him sometime.

I hear they cut the speedy Gonzales bit in Daphne Does Dinner too. What kind of shmuck does the cutting?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Return to Frasier Discussion