Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

How different it could have been

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

How different it could have been

Postby Roverman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Recently read that before Kelsey was considered for the role of Frasier Crane, the producers of Cheers had approached John Lithgow! Lithgow who is 10 years older than Grammer (and looks it) wisely turned the role down.

Can you imagine a middle aged Crane in Cheers and a pensioner in Frasier this would have knackered Mahoney playing Marty as they look the same age easily! DHP couldn't have passed as the slightly younger brother and Neuwirth would have been a trophy wife being 13 years Lithgow's junior!
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Re: How different it could have been

Postby Patrick » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:47 am

Well, for one thing, Shelley Long was conspiring from the start to get Kelsey Grammer off the show, with John Lithgow she might have succeeded and therefore there would have been no need for a Lilith, let alone a spin off.

It's KG's personality that has first maintained Frasier alive and later developed it into the Character we know now. Like JC Van Damned the muscle from brussel, I am quoting Simon here, he had to ply his trade against the forces of evil! :D

I can't believe that I am quoting this from memory now...
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Roverman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Was Lithgow that much of a star in 1983/1984? This was before Third Rock and before he was BZ in Santa Claus:The Movie. Would Long have got her way if he was famous? Or would she have just been seen as old misery?

Its Lithgow of course who provides the voice of 'Madman Martinez' in S2 Ep 19 'Someone to Watch Over Me'.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Patrick » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:19 pm

Yes, he's a very good actor. I also liked him as the bad guy in Cliffhanger... I really loved to hate him in that movie. :D
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:13 pm

I'd love to have seen him as Frasier, though. Just because I think he's the sort of guy who could really pull it off. Of course, it would have been a completely different show, but nonetheless probably awesome :).
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Return to Frasier Discussion