Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Psychiatrists' Perspectives

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Psychiatrists' Perspectives

Postby Mano » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:21 pm

I was always curious to know what the Seattle psychiatric community thought of Frasier.

He's obviously been through a lot of embarassing public situations, so I think it would be interesting to get their perspective.

Just to have some fun: What do you think would have been the first and worst situations that Frasier got himself into (post-Cheers) in which the psychiatric community would've stopped taking him seriously?

I realize that it's a sitcom and he was very-well respected by most people throught the series, but I think by looking at it with more of a realistic lens, we could get more insight and bring up some hilarious moments.
Mano

Re: Psychiatrists' Perspectives

Postby Patrick » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:29 pm

I think the worst was The Candidate when he endorsed a man that later he betrayed by revealing to a large audience something the man had told him in confidence. Given how publicized elections usually are, that must have struck a serious blow against his credibility. Imagine that your psychiatrist had done something like that, how confident would you be of letting him know your most embarrassing secrets? As funny as that episode was, Frasier behaved like a blabbing idiot in it. What was he thinking? I mean, who does that? I am no psychiatrist, but I can tell you that if someone had told me something like that (and I have heard some really strange stories) I would have kept it to myself. That's not so hard. Why would he even talk to Niles about that? I mean the show is Ok as a funny story but as something real, that's something else. My brother was a psychiatrist for only a couple of years before he started his own business and yet without revealing anything specific, he told me that he's heard the strangest things from people definitely as "normal" as the candidate. But there were no questions in his mind that he would keep it a secret unless there was a professional reason or a legal reason for him to reveal it. Frasier's behavior as a psychiatrist and as a professional in general is appalling!

Plus Frasier's emotional reaction to the man's story may be normal from a layman's point of view. But come on! To a psychiatrist that barely registers on the weirdometer! How many clients did he have in Boston? The more I think about it the more that story seems incredible to me. A psychiatrist's reaction to a weird story should be comparable to the reaction of a surgeon to a bleeding chest wound... Poised professionalism.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Re: Psychiatrists' Perspectives

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:12 pm

I don't really know what psychiatrists think of their colleagues who go on to have a radio/TV show. Judging by Niles's reactions, radio psychiatrists are definitely looked down on, but then again, Niles is a fictional character and a bit envious of Frasier :). But I do think some of Frasier's worst professional advice comes from his radio show, like in Call Me Irresponsible when he advised Marco not to get back together with his girlfriend because Frasier wanted her for himself, or in She's the Boss when he gave terrible advice because he was sleepy. But you really can't blame him for a lot of the calls he gets, as the people who call in have all sorts of silly questions which have nothing at all to do with psychological problems.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Return to Frasier Discussion